13 hours ago, Yasemin Salturdóttir said:

What does it mean "At that time, I didn't know we'd end up like this..."

Hye-jun-a do you want me to cry a lot... What does that mean

Heart breaking scene clue :saitama:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

I'm so glad this drama is around.  It's my weekly treat.  I wish there were others that were as good but I Kinda sad that I haven't found another drama that is currently running that is as engaging. 

Enjoying having this drama to look forward to on Mondays and Tuesdays.

PBG must know the geography of the set like the back of his hands since the Sa family seems to have taken over Jung-Hwan's family's home from Reply 1988.

This drama confirms what I've often suspected PBG has a "Richard Gere" problem.  He is a character actor trapped in a gorgeous leading man's body.  Being a leading man is a special kind of difficult because often leading men play version of themselves, instead of "characters". Many folks think that "playing yourself" is easy.  It isn't, because you have nothing but yourself to depend on.  Character work has its own challenge, but there are outside tangible things for the actors to work on/with. 

PBG is best when he is playing character that are just a little "off".  That is why he was so mesmerizing in Reply 1988 and Hello Monster.  While he is lovely and swoonable in REcord of Youth because you know, he's Park Bo-Gum he is most riveting during the scenes within the drama when he is playing a movie character.  When he went from being Hye-Jun to the educated, refined you saw that makes him magnetic on screen, he just fully becomes a fully fleshed character.  We can really see what makes him fascinating to watch.

I have so many question for the Korean movie/TV industry.

Do you use stunt coordinators?

Do you use stunt doubles?

Are actors' allowed to improvise during a fight scene?  Surefire way to endanger actors. 

Are actors allowed to leave the set wearing their costumes. How can Hye-Jun seem so unconcerned about the suit getting soaking wet if it didn't belong to him?

Are we to assume that he had a jacket we hadn't seen in his bag.The continuity at the top of the episode seemed a little sketchy as if there was explanation missing.

Thought on where the obvious arrows point -->  

Kissing (becoming a couple) this early in the drama almost guarantee a break up along the way to HEA.

-brother gets scan

-grandpa becomes successful

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Good to see you in the thread, @hushhh. Always amused by your DP.:D 

Spoiler

I remember an actor in Hospital Playlist saying that PD Shin Won Ho leaves it to the actors' instinct to act out a scene, guiding more than directing. I don't know though if that applies to action scenes. I agree that it would be dangerous.

@Tina123: It's Wheein's OST track. It's not yet released.:)

'Record of Youth' Ending Scene Fanart

Artist says it's the drama she's into these days...

• Like 4

it's so funny when AJ thought she should have said No to HJ's confession but ended up saying she likes him too. LOL, this girl, what power do you think you have to be able to resist his charm. 

It also makes me recall the time she said to her friend in the salon about her not wanting to get married, even if it's HJ. LOL, let's wait and see

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

I feel for Min Jae. I forget about the harsh realities at times because the cinematography and production sets are so beautiful. What happened to her is sad but so real. And this happens not just in KEnt. But in other industries too. Characters like Lee Tae Su make it real. Horrible people like that do exist. He said it himself, he’s a snake. Jeong Ha said earlier people usually say who they really are. Most of the time, this is true. Many of the dialog in the drama are really hitting it on the nail. Seriously, there are stuff being said and shown that must come from the writer’s personal experience. Or maybe someone close to the writer. 

So we get a dose of reality and some heart fluttering moments too. How sweet can Hye Jun and Jeong Ha be? I like how easygoing and stress-free their relationship is. It’s almost as if it’s too good to be true. I think I got so used to the push-pull, manipulative type of couples we see on dramas, I forget there’s a healthy kind of relationship too. 

2-F2-FFCF5-E9-EA-43-B5-BB89-7-B1780-B307

I hope that Haraboji stays until the end. He still has a story to tell and it is inspiring to see how he navigates through his issues. He’s one of those characters that will have little screen time but will have so much impact on the story and on the viewers.

At this time, I don’t understand Hae Hyo’s actions towards Jeong Ha except for it being motivated by his pride. Not sure how dark his character could go. Both Hae Hyo and his mom seem likeable on the surface. But underneath they look like they are also very capable of inflicting damage on others if their goals or sense of pride are thwarted.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 5

@hushhh I think slaps are real. But the punching should be lighter.

Yes I laughed at the sponsored clothing. Anyway I was peering around to see where she kept her make up kit. It wasn't his chaebol outfit that distracted me. It was " where is her beep beep beep make up kit for the shooting day in the rain?"

There is a freaking grand piano in the middle of a public space in episode 6.  I kept thinking " wow that won't last half a day in my country. "

I already suspended my reality check. I have been dying watching his perfectly co- ordinated outfits in the drama. If you watch his pants or rather his casual trousers back view- they have perfectly ironed creases as well. He is 26 after all. He wore an Argyle pattern cardigan to work at a BBQ place. Unless the restaurants have direct vents above the grills. Not that I saw any in the ordinary BBQ places in Seoul.

I tell ya even 26 year old chaebols in ordinary dramas don't have casual outfits as good or stylish as he does. His whites are perfectly white. I enjoy this drama just for the clothing alone. Although I like the Milan runway outfits the best. Just because he looked different.

But enough about this drama. It's Wednesday better get cracking to real life.

• LOL 7
  • Awesome 1

This whole scene are not the present right?

I remember at the early episode they mention 2018. That i why i kinda sire that HJ will go to the army and we will move to the 2020. Im afraid of the ending. If HJ become a famous actor..well in korea, it will hard for the IT boy to dating and mariege. I hope everything will going you well.

What do you guys think will be the angst or problem that arise for this drama?

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, pada (ㅋㅋㅋ) said:

i don't have energy left to talk about Hae hyo. exhausted sigh. 

Dear chingu you got me "lol" at that part :)

I love the narration and directornim's close ups and all of the beautiful scenes, they're so impressive! I love these much more realistic dramas for sure, Dinner Mate was also one of the dramas I liked so much because it's narrative was about two persons from "real/fiction". I love surreal dramas too but I guess, during this pandemic, I needed some realistic dramas that will help my emotions... that will give me some hope about the future. Surreal dramas do not give me a single hope.

Who said, I cannot remember the nickname, "a kiss that is so early might end up with the couple's break-up in the coming episodes"? It might be true, this is so sad... He will surely go for the military service and come back in 2020 and we will see our couple's future? I don't need a marriage at the end, I just want to see them happy, hand in hand together. <3 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

So happy that this thread is moving faster with all your posts!

1 hour ago, touchthesky99 said:

I like how easygoing and stress-free their relationship is. It’s almost as if it’s too good to be true. I think I got so used to the push-pull, manipulative type of couples we see on dramas, I forget there’s a healthy kind of relationship too. 

At this time, I don’t understand Hae Hyo’s actions towards Jeong Ha except for it being motivated by his pride. Not sure how dark his character could go. Both Hae Hyo and his mom seem likeable on the surface. But underneath they look like they are also very capable of inflicting damage on others if their goals or sense of pride are thwarted.

The push-pull phenomenon is the K-Drama romance trope that we have gotten used to, so our ML's relationship is refreshing. Some criticize that it went too fast or that they didn't see it coming but if we pay attention and interactions starting from the Ep. 1 ending scene, their  conversations had the "getting-to-know-you" depth and substance that would rationalize an attraction. They are fated to be soulmates/ kindred spirits. They've seen each other's vulnerabilities. They are naturally drawn to each other and have an almost instinctive healing effect on each other.

I read a tweet about Hae Hyo to be an "ego issue". While I understand why he would like Jung Ha---her personality is very appealing---I think Hae Hyo is new to a situation where Hye Jun is favored instead of him and he is having a hard time coming to terms with it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 3

:waves:

K-Drama Reaction: Record of Youth | Episodes 5-6

Amor fati. Does loving one’s fate really the answer to human greatness?

If you want to read it with screencaps and gifs, here's the link:

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2020/09/23/k-drama-reaction-record-of-youth-episodes-5-6/

But the full text is here: :)

Spoiler

Girl with a Pearl Earring

“It was not a house where secrets could be kept easily.” ― Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

I’m slowly getting attached to Sa Hye-jun’s (Park Bo-gum) family. It’s a change of heart from my initial reaction during the premiere week. I thought they’re using his family background too much in the story. But now, I found myself feeling too involved with their individual issues.

I like how Han Ae-suk (Han Hee-ra) views her job and her relationship with Kim I-yeong (Shin Ae-ra). Both of them claim they are drawing the line in their relationship and know their own places. But I somehow feel like there’s an unlikely (unlabeled) friendship going on between them. Some might call it frenemies but I think they’ve unknowingly grew attached to each other through the years. They’re so different but Ae-suk enjoys her job in the Won Household while I-yeong really relies on Ae-suk, whether she wants to admit it or not.

Hye-jun and Won Hae-hyo’s (Byeon Woo-seok) families both held a meeting in the fifth episode and it was a good way to show how different and similar their families are. Hye-jun’s brother Sa Gyeong-jun (Lee Jae-won) and Hae-hyo’s sister Won Hae-na (Jo Yoo-jung) are doing things most traditional families take proud off. While Hye-jun and Hae-hyo both choose a path with a slim chance of survival. Hae-hyo, though, has his mother’s backing despite his father’s belittling side comments on what he does for a living. Hye-jun, meanwhile, only has his halboji Sa Min-ki (Han Jin-hee) to lean on. His father, Sa Yeong-nam (Park Soo-young), is being incredulously unfair to his youngest child. Would it kill him to show some affection to Hye-jun? Fortunately, as Ae-suk pointed out, Hye-jun has a great amount of self-respect to stand up on his own.

The Formula for Human Greatness

German philosopher and cultural critic Friedrich Nietzsche believes that human greatness can be achieved by loving one’s fate – Amor Fati.

“That one wants nothing to be different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely bear what is necessary, still less conceal it….but love it.”

It was a fitting perspective for someone like Hye-jun. Because harsh as it may seem, fate/life has not been so good to him. He makes the best out of anything that happens to him. Getting delegated on a smaller/villain role affected him for a while but he stood up quickly. Before the shoot, Hye-jun even admitted to Hae-hyo that he’s a bit anxious about his role. But he was able to embrace the challenge. I think he got this kind of mentality from Ae-suk. He seems to have a good relationship with his mother; something that Ahn Jeong-ha didn’t have.

We only, once again, learned more about Ahn Jeong-ha’s past through her conversations with Hye-jun. There wasn’t even a flashback this time. She just mentioned it nonchalantly. Like it was totally non-issue for her. I’m not sure if I’m overreacting because she seems fine on the surface but I think Jeong-ha still has some unresolved things from her past. Hye-jun really needs to dig deeper because I’m already dying to know what it is. It’d be such a disappointment if there’s nothing to learn more about Jeong-ha. Or maybe this is just an excuse to see more of their undeniable chemistry on screen.

I was wondering last week what makes this tandem so good. Now, I know one reason why. Their banters are gold. Watching them felt like I’m reading a good romance novel with witty banter and a backdrop filled with subtle romantic tensions. It’s hard to write these kinds of dialogues and it’s also much harder to pull off. But Bo-gum and So-dam are acting it out effortlessly. Their exchanges sounded so natural that a rain confession didn’t seem as cliché as it may sound.

Zorba The Greek

“I felt once more how simple and frugal a thing is happiness: a glass of wine, a roast chestnut, a wretched little brazier, the sound of the sea. Nothing else.” – Zorba The Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis

We’re only in the third week but our upfront hero confessed already! When he realized that he was ready to get rained on with Jeong-ha (literally and figuratively), he confessed his feelings without any ado. And the suddenness of it, I think achieved what the ROY team has been aiming for in this part of the story – young love. It was impulsive, thrilling, and pure. Despite Jeong-ha wanting to be as rational as possible, she couldn’t stop herself from accepting Hye-jun’s confession. They settled their status in a simple conversation at Jeong-ha’s foyer. There weren’t fireworks nor candles and flowers but my heart threatened to pummel out of my chest when Hye-jun dropped the ‘D’ word. And again, I really think it’s because of how Bo-gum and So-dam make these simple scenarios as romantic as possible.

What I’m worried about though is how Hye-jun’s personal woes would affect his new relationship with Jeong-ha.  The voice-over narrations of Hye-jun sounded regretful that I’m nervous about what horrendous things they might experience in the next episodes.

On top of Hye-jun struggling with his dreams, there’s also an external threat that could come in between Hye-jun and Jeong-ha.  Hae-hyo’s amusement to Jeong-ha is slowly turning into attraction the more they spent time together. This trio’s friendship is fun to watch but we all know that love will get in the way. If only they could actually stay that way until the end. Oh well, as Hae-hyo said we all love to watch this kind of mess.

Sense and Sensibility

“If I could but know his heart, everything would become easy.” ― Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Let’s talk about their first kiss, shall we?

The kiss felt sad and comforting at the same time. Hye-jun was at his low when he met Jeong-ha at that park. They again went to a place where he usually spends time alone when depressed. He said it so himself. But I think Jeong-ha is now becoming Hye-jun’s safe place; replacing these physical places he usually goes to during these moments.

All these previous scenes culminated in how I viewed Hye-jun during the kiss scene. The first kiss was tentative. And when he pulled away and then came back again for a second (and more confident) one, I felt like both of them gave in to the moment. Just like how the confession went, their feelings were definitely that of young love. Spontaneous but confident; confusing but ardent. It’s definitely a turning point.

Week 3 Verdict

I’m not sure if it’s on their PR articles but I think this series will definitely be presented in two parts. I could feel the inevitable change hovering on our main characters. I wonder what big thing would happen that would ruin their current status. They’re definitely building up the tension with all these huge signs of progress in the relationship between Hye-jun and Jeong-ha. One thing I hope though is that they’ll maintain the existing balance of angst and lightheartedness in the story.

record-of-youth-episodes-5-6-handsome-bo

• Like 1
  • Awesome 4
  • Thanks 1

FanArt

@LanA I love your question:sweat_smile:, as much as I want to have that kind of scene I think it's a little inappropriate  since this is a youth drama but maybe, just maybe if they will do it,  it should be in a subtle way, a way that just to insinuate the beautiful thing that's happening to them in that particular moment. I get excited thinking of that. :kisslevel:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sakurafairy said:

FanArt

@LanA I love your question:sweat_smile:, as much as I want to have that kind of scene I think it's a little inappropriate  since this is a youth drama but maybe, just maybe if they will do it,  it should be in a subtle way, a way that just to insinuate the beautiful thing that's happening to them in that particular moment. I get excited thinking of that. :kisslevel:

I also think it's a bit inappropriate to show on screen. I agree it should be done in a subtle way. and it's totally ok if we don't have it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ainipang said:

This whole scene are not the present right?

I remember at the early episode they mention 2018. That i why i kinda sire that HJ will go to the army and we will move to the 2020. Im afraid of the ending. If HJ become a famous actor..well in korea, it will hard for the IT boy to dating and mariege. I hope everything will going you well.

What do you guys think will be the angst or problem that arise for this drama?

Setting is 2018 when Sa Hye Jun was still a "nobody"/"nameless model" as his agency CEO, Appa and Charlie Jung told him to his face.

Recalling Hye Jun's conversation with Min Jae, I think Hye Jun will pursue his "Top Star goal" (to dethrone Park Do Ha). He will be noticed in the noir film where he played a small meaty part and will secure more challenging roles. Military enlistment will follow. I am basing this assertion on the drama's dialogues (I could be mistaken though.) I also think Hye Jun and Jung Ha will have a happy KDrama ending. :)

BTS pics

202009231650521110_1_20200923165849067.j

EilfBv_VkAAuR9J?format=jpg&name=large

EilfCCvU0AAV_eN?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1