[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Rattan 司藤

sugarplum892

I just started watching 2 episodes and I like it! Didn't expect to, with a drama named 'Rattan'. 
It's a fantasy genre, got demons and mystical power, and of course Zhang Bin Bin. Now to slowly enjoy it...

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I'm loving this drama, each episode so far had 'kept me on my toes' that I wish I'd waited until it's finished so that I can binge.  I get the feeling this will be sad ending but I hope I'm wrong ..oh btw, Zhang BinBin is sooooo handsome!!

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

13 hours ago, jewelsc said:

I'm loving this drama, each episode so far had 'kept me on my toes' that I wish I'd waited until it's finished so that I can binge.  I get the feeling this will be sad ending but I hope I'm wrong ..oh btw, Zhang BinBin is sooooo handsome!!

I am waiting to do just that! :lol: I agree, Zhang Bin Bin is handsome and his facial expression can be so hilarious. I love his acting style and usually watch anything he's in. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

I have mixed feelings about how Vin Zhang's character (Qin Fang) is written. I feel sorry for him, two dead exs and now he's kinda like the living dead. He's a self-made man, rich, perceptive and he is in touch with his emotions, that's all good. But sometimes I feel like he's there only to add meaning to Si Teng's story and up till E16, am not sure what else he brings to the table. Si Teng's character however is somewhat enigmatic and the actress that portrays her really adds a sense of mystery and charisma. Good job on that count. Nevertheless, I am a sucker for mystery and fantasy... and am dying to find out what is the connection between Si Teng and Qin Fang, and what fate will befall them at the end.

LOL, the story feels like Stockholm Syndrome, where the one held captive bonds with the captor - though in his case, Si Teng didn't quite 'capture' him but in a way he is held captive by her due to the 'symbiotic relationship' they have with each other.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

9 hours ago, SC2019 said:

I have mixed feelings about how Vin Zhang's character (Qin Fang) is written. I feel sorry for him, two dead exs and now he's kinda like the living dead. He's a self-made man, rich, perceptive and he is in touch with his emotions, that's all good. But sometimes I feel like he's there only to add meaning to Si Teng's story and up till E16, am not sure what else he brings to the table. Si Teng's character however is somewhat enigmatic and the actress that portrays her really adds a sense of mystery and charisma. Good job on that count. Nevertheless, I am a sucker for mystery and fantasy... and am dying to find out what is the connection between Si Teng and Qin Fang, and what fate will befall them at the end.

LOL, the story feels like Stockholm Syndrome, where the one held captive bonds with the captor - though in his case, Si Teng didn't quite 'capture' him but in a way he is held captive by her due to the 'symbiotic relationship' they have with each other.

in the book, Qin Fang’s life has been manipulated by Bai Ying in order to carry out her plans which is to take over Si Teng’s body because hers was burnt. So him dying and reviving Si Teng is part of her plan. Qin Fang here is an antithesis of your typical “cold ceo” type of male lead, where his strength and appeal to audience lies on his patience and selflessness,,, where Si To eventually let him go, he decided to follow her, and wanted to to take care of her.... seeing Vin Zhang act like a loyal docile partner is different from his previous character...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

I start it few days ago and I really like it!! I did watch until episode 6 and continue and spoil myself until episode 16. I prefer download all eps to watch. I never read the novel version so that is only my own funny analyse so please bear it ^^;;

9 hours ago, tulip06 said:

After Ep 6, so many questions, okay, three: did Si Teng’s baby really die? And who was the father? Why isn’t Si Teng asking about it?

hm, I think we can see Si Teng face was really strange when Yan Fu Rui tell her that ''SI TENG die in 1946 by Xuan Master Qiu Shan''. I think, in episode 01, the one who use the rattan to kill Si Teng was somehow..really do have a same physical like her or it's my own impression. Maybe it's true that Si Teng was die for early the 1946 so probably in 1939 or something like that I don't remember the exact date from the drama. In a same time, it's said when Si Teng die...Qiu Shan also disapear....hehe isn't weird? The girl who kill Si Teng took her place and was pregnant after...Si Feng is a plant so maybe...she have...a twin mutate plant? dunno .....

Or the girl who kill Si Feng is Si Feng return from the future? that sound more weird ...awawaaaa (I read too much fantasy chinese novel so many weird thing happen)

Who is Qin Fang?

My impression and the more ''cliché'' I have was ....he is the reincarnation from Qiu Shan. Qin Fang..Qiu Shan...kind a sound alike. The most cliché that he die after and drink the drink oblivion from lady Meng and reincarnated. That why he so UNLUCKY with his love story. All his past girlfriend was dies tragically...he have a ''curse on him''

Too simple for analyse....it's true ...

So second ..thinking 

Qin Fang is....spacecraft ...why not? isn't sound really funny if a inanimate objet become alive ...become human? Too much fiction? I know LOL (it's talking about the that in episode 01) I think I took this idea from Ayashi no ceres oh my my...

It's already a thousand year that Yi clan sect exist, so what happen if our Si Feng was from the first generation and did meet with Qin Fang before but forget everything atfer the mutation. She was already a rattan in the planet Earth. Who plant her there? Did something is in connection with the '' Dana the promised land in your heart''?

The plant came from another realm? who plant her over there? 

third....Qin Fang is ....also a RATTAN. well before he reincarnated into human. 

Fourth...Qin Fang is the one who plant her ...god or anything like that...sound really ''Love and Redemption'' I know...but who know...

Fifth - He is the little guy that she save in episode 01 ...sound too intense I know...try to find some possibility.

Qin Fang friend, who is Dan Zhi Gang, seem not really human but do take care of Qin Fang a lot. He said he was more than 100 year old..for a joke. If he possible to be the ''Si Feng'' child...hm 

• Like 2

@English Tofu yes I kinda agree that he isn't the typical CEO, his friend though is. And that one too right now is a bit of a mystery but as @miaka fy said that guy is definitely older than his age and looking at his accumulated wealth, prolly has lived a much longer life. I'll leave all the theories to her.

Now, if I could just tell the scriptwriter to get his/her act together, 'Come on, which partner of a firm (Qin Fang) can disappear from his company for so long. And which partner (Dan Zi Gang, here's looking at you) can tolerate him (Qin Fang) being away from the business for that long as well.' For that, I have to thank our dear Si Teng who in episode 6 commented, "A company that has both of you as bosses, it's really a surprise that it hasn't collapsed!" Spot on Si Teng, I hear you on that count.

and @tulip06

Spoiler

Si Teng didn't (I think) give Qin Fang an answer but he told her his theory that she has a twin sister, both take turns to appear. So the one that died actually died in the 1930s (with the baby) was the sister while she died in the 1940s (as featured in episode 1). Tbh, my Mandarin is a little half-baked so I couldn't quite tell if she admitted it or not but she didn't outright deny it as well. So I am waiting as well to see what the inside scoop is.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

Halo, m new in this forum and would like to share this beautiful fanmade vid with you guys!!

https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:4616148663074823?from=old_pc_videoshow

I couldn't resist to share tis mv. Love this couple very much in this new drama. To me, Vin Zhang is handsome but his acting never really made an impression and so is Jing tian. She's beautiful but I never really impressed by her acting but when i watched the trailer i m instantly hooked by the storyline and the chemistry when these 2 stand together! It's really a good worth watching drama!

• Blob 1

On 3/18/2021 at 11:45 PM, tulip06 said:

After Ep 6, so many questions, okay, three: did Si Teng’s baby really die? And who was the father? Why isn’t Si Teng asking about it?

Acording to the novel the one who have the baby is Bai ying (Si Teng half that being apart from Si teng,so she could married Si teng ex boyfriend) so she killed si teng and married that man (that man haa three wives,Bai ying is number 2) but that man actually dont love her and work together with si teng master coz the master offer him with wealth,so when she born a child and the body become weak then si teng master killed her..

Qin Fang is the grandson of Bai ying..

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/18/2021 at 4:48 AM, English Tofu said:

guys, it’s available with subs up to episode 16 in Iqiyi.... it’s so good....  i saw his livestream with Jing Tian and the guy is so sweet and manly outside cam... much more handsome than in his dramas...

Are you sure subs up to 16? Yoyo only 7...

Si Teng Si Teng, your options are very, very limited..... :lol:

1 hour ago, Fenny Liong said:

Are you sure subs up to 16? Yoyo only 7...

Iqiyi doesn't air this drama in my region as it doesn't pop up after a search. YoYo on YT and viki have subs until EP 7. Viki will have EP 8 available today. 

• Like 2

No officially translated version.... just google tranlslate 

I am loving the docile Vin Zhang here... he needs to act outside Jaywalk... he’s wasted on their production or just always a measly second lead to Reba... he needs a better hairstylist here imo... he looks much more handsome in airports and live events.