[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Rattan 司藤

sugarplum892

23 minutes ago, English Tofu said:

anybody saw the ending?

Use the spoiler tag if you’re going to say.

so, with the QuiShan eating alien matter to become young again, and then eating that 9-eye Pearl to become what? A super fit power-walking old man? Does he know what is going to happen to him each time?

@English Tofu yes, kinda, i ffed to the end.

Spoiler

I think from whence they came, they returned. I didn't watch the whole scene but it seemed like Qian Fang had given her, his energy which was from her alter ego to begin with. And then he became a living vegetable. In that time, Yan Fu Rui had become a grandfather already, and he had been taking care of Qian Fang's body. Si Teng was throughout that period able to lead a life free of her past memories as a 'human', which was a dream she had and Qian Fang felt that he was fulfilling her wish.

Upon seeing Qian Fang's body, comatose, surviving on a drip, there was a plant there that upon connecting with her, allowed her to 'unlock' or regain her memories. In the end, she took Qian Fang's body, went back to the forest and they continued their 'symbiotic' relationship as 'creeper' and tree, never to be separated again. And Fu Rui shed a few tears, sad that he would never see them again, but told his grandson the alien story of "Si Teng".

-the end-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2021 at 7:20 AM, SC2019 said:

@English Tofu yes, kinda, i ffed to the end.

Reveal hidden contents

I think from whence they came, they returned. I didn't watch the whole scene but it seemed like Qian Fang had given her, his energy which was from her alter ego to begin with. And then he became a living vegetable. In that time, Yan Fu Rui had become a grandfather already, and he had been taking care of Qian Fang's body. Si Teng was throughout that period able to lead a life free of her past memories as a 'human', which was a dream she had and Qian Fang felt that he was fulfilling her wish.

Upon seeing Qian Fang's body, comatose, surviving on a drip, there was a plant there that upon connecting with her, allowed her to 'unlock' or regain her memories. In the end, she took Qian Fang's body, went back to the forest and they continued their 'symbiotic' relationship as 'creeper' and tree, never to be separated again. And Fu Rui shed a few tears, sad that he would never see them again, but told his grandson the alien story of "Si Teng".

-the end-

I think I was at ep 25 then skipped and watched 30 to see how it ends. I could sort of follow along and it made sense so though I was sad, it was ok. And I have to say Fu Rui is an awesome character.

Spoiler

But I wondered when she headed for the forest there at the end with QF, what about her adoptive parents? They seemed to have had a good relationship and she got to experience how it is to be a normal kid and then grow up to be a young lady with their support.  How did she explain (if she even did) when she suddenly disappears for good?

@skibbies there's an alternate ending? is it out? where can we watch and how was it?

On a side note, I watched Jing Tian on a BTS clip and heard her talk.  I remember someone said here she was overdubbed but her voice sounds quite similar to the voice on the drama...I still kinda wish they worked it out instead and let her dub it herself.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 7:57 AM, cdcotr said:

@skibbies there's an alternate ending? is it out? where can we watch and how was it?

On a side note, I watched Jing Tian on a BTS clip and heard her talk.  I remember someone said here she was overdubbed but her voice sounds quite similar to the voice on the drama...I still kinda wish they worked it out instead and let her dub it herself.

It was released at the same time as ep 30, idk where you normally watch your dramas,  (I watched it on iqiyi mainland)

Spoiler

I actually think it should have ended at beginning of ep 28 and i actually liked the poetic-ness of ep 30 ending. I just didn't really like part of the lead up in ep 30. The last two ep + alternate ending is extra chapters/spin-off from the novel, I believe ep 30 ending is drama original though. The alternate ending was nice too I guess, i think most people would prefer it.

As for the dubbing, I think their reasoning was Jing Tian sounds too sweet.

Edited by SC2019
please don't name sites to view dramas that are not official..
  • Like 2

Boy this drama lost me...started out interesting but then didn’t make sense logical..

what I loved...her hairstyle clothing and the scenery,,,

but I couldn’t get logic....what was purpose of the first girlfriend ? And the girl who liked him in beginning drama..

Even the double sister coming out and how did she came alive again...they were on bridge and all of sudden came alive again..

and the old sifu who drank something became young and how and why he became qifangs friend cobusiness partner....made zero Logic about him mistakenly drowning the ex girlfriend

the little girl was cute but the first ending made a little sense...he gave his power to save siteng ..so he came back back into a coma because it was the double sister power who kept him alive...

the alternative ending I really don’t understand...gees how come siteng still alive with the little girl growing up?  Wasn’t siteng supposed to die..in the beginning chapter of alternative ending....they were sitting together then she clicked and he fainted next few scenes was the little girl growing up finding them in forest...how come siteng still alive...don’t get it...

I just felt this whole story was way too illogical...

I couldn’t even understand..these are tree demons that came from outer space?  why the sifu became evil,because of being hurt by an alien girl and how he killed her...and then he decides to push siteng who was a tree alien to become human to kill other aliens..

really don’t get it

8 hours ago, Happy Happy said:

Boy this drama lost me...started out interesting but then didn’t make sense logical..

what I loved...her hairstyle clothing and the scenery,,,

but I couldn’t get logic....what was purpose of the first girlfriend ? And the girl who liked him in beginning drama..

Even the double sister coming out and how did she came alive again...they were on bridge and all of sudden came alive again..

and the old sifu who drank something became young and how and why he became qifangs friend cobusiness partner....made zero Logic about him mistakenly drowning the ex girlfriend

the little girl was cute but the first ending made a little sense...he gave his power to save siteng ..so he came back back into a coma because it was the double sister power who kept him alive...

the alternative ending I really don’t understand...gees how come siteng still alive with the little girl growing up?  Wasn’t siteng supposed to die..in the beginning chapter of alternative ending....they were sitting together then she clicked and he fainted next few scenes was the little girl growing up finding them in forest...how come siteng still alive...don’t get it...

I couldn’t even understand..these are tree demons that came from outer space?  why the sifu became evil,because of being hurt by an alien girl and how he killed her...and then he decides to push siteng who was a tree alien to become human to kill other aliens..

really don’t get it

how do I tag a reply as spoiler?

On 4/12/2021 at 5:35 PM, Happy Happy said:

really don’t get it

In response to the "logic" you didn't seem to understand:

Chen Wan, the first GF: It is because of Qin Fang's guilt (believing he indirectly caused her death) and love for her that Shen Yi Deng is able to use her likeness in an attempt to get information on Si Teng.

An Man, the 2nd GF: She was once Zhao Long Jiang's (Jia Gui Zhi's husband) mistress. Due to the online posting, he figured she was in the area and made use of her to distract the two guys who were also after the item his wife had asked him to obtain. When the two guys caused the car with Qin Fang to fall of the cliff, she thought QF dead. She follows along with their plans to exact her revenge for QF.

The death of both GFs in a sense signify that QF has a "doomed" love (especially as both were humans).

Spoiler

I don't know why you think Bai Ying is Si Teng's sister. She isn't. She pretty much derived/split from Si Teng. She is Si Teng but not Si Teng fully. She is able to come alive again because Si Teng gave a part of Shen Yi Deng's power to her (Si Teng couldn't handle Shen Yi Deng's full power in her current form) while under water. But because Si Teng was unwilling to merge the two of them together, Bai Ying escapes.

Qiu Shan (the old sifu) became his younger self likely because he knew from Bai Ying's final words before he supposedly destroyed her would be able to return like she said after mulling over the text from the book he read in his old age. With that knowledge he swallowed the item (very similar to the item that created Si Teng) and became young again to live until the day she was revived.

He becomes QF's business partner because he caused the death of QF's first GF--it was his way to make amends. As to how he drowns the GF, it was all an accident. He couldn't handle the power from the item he swallowed because even in the present he was having difficulty and spitting up blood. And in his state he caused her to fall in the water and by then he couldn't pull her out even if he wanted to.

Si Teng is alive in the alternative ending because similar to Bai Ying, she split from the child her but willingly. So the child her is more human.

The tree demons didn't come from outer space. The meteorites that fell onto the earth had special properties and the plants that absorbed them speeded up their process so they were able to obtain human form. Qiu Shan becoming evil, it has something to do with with what the plant girl alien he fell in love said (feels like she cursed him in a way), plus the plant that she in her original form is poisonous (?) [I need to rewatch their scenes to better understand]. Qiu Shan treats SI Teng's kind as very low, even lower than servants and possibly animals (probably due to what happened to his tribe), so he doesn't mind using their kind to do his bidding. And Si Teng, being brought up by him, didn't understand about killing her kind until much later (in her adult form). The reason she is able to go from child form to adult form in a few short years is because she absorbed the power of her kind that she helped kill.

• Like 2

Another drama that changed the name - lol. Why Rattan? Anyways... I will wait until it finished to watch this. Watching too many drama now. Oh did it ended already?!? Seem like mixed reviews. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tulip06 said:

I am back to this drama now that the YoYo channel is up to cheer iqiyi cut me off. And yay! Still good. But I can’t understand how QuiShan went from old to young to old but fit. Anyone?

I'm wondering the same!

4 hours ago, Yinye said:

Another drama that changed the name - lol. Why Rattan? Anyways... I will wait until it finished to watch this. Watching too many drama now. Oh did it ended already?!? Seem like mixed reviews. 

It hasn't finished airing on all platforms where you can fatch without membership. 

• Blob 1

10 hours ago, tulip06 said:

I wonder if QuiShan is the way he is because he swallowed alien matter?

Why does Bai Ying look different from Si Teng?

Probably because they wanted to differentiate the face and the behaviour/ mannerisms between the two. Also, note the voice that Bai Ying has, more like a seductress, somewhat sinnister. I finally heard Jing Tian's real voice, and it is sweet, which is why she was overdubbed. I think the director wanted her to have a voice that had a slightly more authoritative and rough-edge.

Btw, for any interested. Here's the MangoTV link to the Happy Camp (variety show) which featured Zhang Bin Bin and Jing Tian as well as Seven Tan and Wallace Chung (Sword and Brocade)

https://w.mgtv.com/b/349986/11639498.html?t=videoshare&tc=jXKKosRPSAN7&dc=4D8C80E5-53EB-443D-9398-2B925B6579DA

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

6 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Probably because they wanted to differentiate the face and the behaviour/ mannerisms between the two. Also, note the voice that Bai Ying has, more like a seductress, somewhat sinnister. I finally heard Jing Tian's real voice, and it is sweet, which is why she was overdubbed. I think the director wanted her to have a voice that had a slightly more authoritative and rough-edge.

Btw, for any interested. Here's the MangoTV link to the Happy Camp (variety show) which featured Zhang Bin Bin and Jing Tian as well as Seven Tan and Wallace Chung (Sword and Brocade)

https://w.mgtv.com/b/349986/11639498.html?t=videoshare&tc=jXKKosRPSAN7&dc=4D8C80E5-53EB-443D-9398-2B925B6579DA

remember Bai Ying would jave 10 more years maturity on her face compred ro Si Teng if you look at their year death

On 4/15/2021 at 1:10 AM, tulip06 said:

I am back to this drama now that the YoYo channel is up to cheer iqiyi cut me off. And yay! Still good. But I can’t understand how QuiShan went from old to young to old but fit. Anyone?

With Iqiyi translation, you will get confused because of mistranslated lines that could have been plot keys

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

On 4/17/2021 at 8:42 AM, English Tofu said:

remember Bai Ying would jave 10 more years maturity on her face compred ro Si Teng if you look at their year death

With Iqiyi translation, you will get confused because of mistranslated lines that could have been plot keys

Yes, but the QuiShan situation still hasn’t been properly explained and I rewatched everything on YoYo.

update: in 24, after QuiShan literally has walked miles across China as an energetic old man, he could not raise food to his mouth. So weird.

I'm only on episode 17 but am thoroughly enjoying this drama! Everything about this story is so fresh and the lead couple's chemistry is off the charts! Love how their relationship is developing. I'm really envious about Qin Fang's endless supply of money... :lol:

Spoiler

One thing I'm confused about is Jia Gui Zhi's Rattan Kill from Bai Ying. If Bai Ying is dead, why does her Rattan Kill still exist?

• Like 1