[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

20 minutes ago, reynamorisson said:

No, the payback money argument is actually not true because production cost has been paid in full by both Netflix and SBS based on a project deal, licensing and of course, busiess strategy - before the show was even aired (now business people you know that this means Netflix and SBS already know that on a baseline, on a very minimum, this show will already make money). AND is expecting 30% profit from PPE on advertising with the show ongoing on public channel.

You know what show needed to fight hard to pay back production cost? Arthdal Chronicles. Studio Dragon (yes, made by the same studio production company) experienced a 50% profit drop when it first aired and recovered towards the middle and end part of the show. And has season 2!

Reference for both statements above:

http://naver.me/57pDgxNe

Even more so, my analysis was not based on an assumption alone. We know that this show targets a specific audience like us who want quality and professional content hence would pay to watch. And that is exactly the strategy they choose. To pick shows that diversify portofolio of the company abroad, to win in a market where they know they could (Asia) and to increase on demand viewership because TV viewers are dropping everywhere in the world. Studio Dragon with TKEM being one of its product is expected to make 66.9 billion won profit from on demand video business revenue alone (Netflix, Wave).

Reference: 

https://m.stock.naver.com/item/main.nhn#/stocks/253450/news/0004420794/office/014

https://mobile.newsis.com/view.html?ar_id=NISX20200508_0001017526#_enliple

By the way, the statement where the King is only trending in Netflix of developing countries is not true. It is so not true because here is the list of country where it's been trending for the past 3-4 weeks:

#1 South Korea

#1 Hong Kong

#1 Taiwan

#4 or so Japan

#1 Singapore

#1 Malaysia

Top 10 - Thailand

Top 10 - India

Top 10 - Nigeria

Top 10 - Bangladesh

Top Search - Indonesia (no top 10 system in Indonesia)

Now let's not assume these millions of people don't pay right? Even if some millions watch outside Netflix, we can't be assuming these people in these countries are ghosts. These are solid 5-10 million if you're top 10 in these countries.

Source: 

https://www.vox.com/2019/12/17/21025154/netflix-global-growth-numbers-sec-streaming-investors

There are two things I will leave us all with:

1) This story is not for everyone

2) To whom this story is attractive, that is the 8% in SBS and the top 10s in those countries as well as the subscribers in Wave

3) Don't worry about this show not making money :D

H! You forgot to include Philippines, it is also #1 here in our country 

• Like 2

Chingus, can we forget  the ratings here and just enjoy the show. We can criticize whatever in reference to directing , acting and scriptwriting , and  at the same the swoon  the skinships,  laugh at the hilarious bromance and marvel at the stunning shots and cinematography. Mathematics, Alice in Wonderland , Chess , Liberal Arts, Parallel Worlds  , and most esp the shipping of our OTP are all interesting topics to discuss. For all honesty, there were lots of Kdrama with this rating and yet became sensational worldwide. Flashback to 2011 , when we just enjoyed LMH's Daejang character. It was  so much fun , Faithlings were  hilarious and gutter minded  and  until now it remained to be his most favorite character by his fans. I am an international fan and The King is talked about here a lot and has positive reviews . Let us enjoy the ride. 

• Like 6
  • Love 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, INeedAFan said:

I am not going to argue with  something that is based on rumors. However, I do know that Netflix still has negative balance sheet. Paying a hefty amount of money wouldn’t impress their stockholders. Fyi, buy/hold/sell rating is updated in real time. Quoting an old article is not recommended for such information. I am a trader so I know :)

@INeedAFan I am not sure why we are having this discussion at all in this forum for a fantasy romance drama. Someone hand me Soju, please. :joy:

For what it's worth.  The drama is apparently being said to have made profit already by others in this forum. All I had said was the fact that this drama is being streamed by Netflix internationally, which makes rating in Korea less critical. I provided a link to the article written by Asia Times about the K-drama, Netflix and Studio Dragon.  Not sure why did you consider these are rumors.  Do you consider Asia Time fake news? And whether you are trader or not, the fact is that a company's valuation was up at the time when news was announced. Stock goes up and down daily. But for investors (not trader), daily stock movement isn't so important. It's the fundamentals, P/E, and outlook that matter more than daily stock price movement. I am sure you know all about it too. As far as Netflix goes, balance sheet is less important for tech company than its growth prospects. As one of FANG (Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Google), Netflix is still riding high. :) 

Let's get back to drama, shall we?! I am looking forward to ep 8 and what's in store for us, are you? 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Has anyone seen that there is a reference to the famous movie "Back to the future" in this episode? JTE has the title of the movie on her cellphone indicating that Lee Gon will travel to the past. 

Yes, someone did mention it somewhere in the post.....:)

6 hours ago, Heretorant said:

Watch it again and let me know what you think. I need more eyes to confirm whether my eyes are tricking me. Scene @ 26:00. The old man is Prince Buyeong’s doppelgänger, cleaned up with hair combed back and no glasses. They have the same exact voice but I can’t decide whether they are the same person because the glow up is too strong :lol:. If he is Prince Buyeong’s doppelgänger, then the real prince’s son just got killed. 

The old man already replaced the father of that man who was killed. He expected himself to be the heir of the business but nope.. LR said it is better if your real son took over the business -- your referring to the old man.   

• Like 8

Can someone elaborate on what Lg said to JTE while they are discussing the case in jte room? I feel like the Netflix ah isn’t doing a good job. Seems like LG is also giving JTE a condition, but I read everywhere it seems to be realy deep and I’m not getting it. 

Please help. I want to feel every ounce from these two :)

• Like 2

Maybe all of the people in korea own a netflix account that’s why TKEM ratings in Cable tv is not quite high but it’s still considered a average rating. Alot of people nowadays prefer watching on netflix than normal tv airing. :)

• Like 5

Lee Min Ho And Kim Go Eun Show Their Playful Chemistry In Behind The Scenes Footage Of “The King: Eternal Monarch”

These two love teasing each other.

kJDctBYe0rqCLZ0LgXftMCCh7-ZXAkid2IY1YS-N

Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun can be quite the serious couple on The King: Eternal Monarch.

Behind the scenes footage shows that they love joking with each other. Even before one of their scenes begins, the two couldn’t help but share a laugh once they saw one of their props.

Lee Min Ho also let out a laugh once he saw how much Kim Go Eun was struggling trying to put on her gloves.

The two start one of their scenes, and it has a serious atmosphere from the start.

This immediately goes away once the scene concludes, as the two have a lighthearted conversation after.

Kim Go Eun also gets extremely “smart” once she spots a camera, as she makes sure it captures her doing some good deeds towards Lee Min Ho.

Once Lee Min Ho spots the camera, he figures out what Kim Go Eun’s compliment was for.

This causes the two to start making some compliments towards each other, but the sincereness is to be questioned.

Here is the full video below!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, LRM11219311 said:

Maybe all of the people in korea own a netflix account that’s why TKEM ratings in Cable tv is not quite high but it’s still considered a average rating. Alot of people nowadays prefer watching on netflix than normal tv airing. :)

SBS is not cable TV. 

1 hour ago, Heretorant said:

Watch it again and let me know what you think. I need more eyes to confirm whether my eyes are tricking me. Scene @ 26:00. The old man is Prince Buyeong’s doppelgänger, cleaned up with hair combed back and no glasses. They have the same exact voice but I can’t decide whether they are the same person because the glow up is too strong :lol:. If he is Prince Buyeong’s doppelgänger, then the real prince’s son just got killed. 

i watched this scene just to check this statement and i think he is not prince buyeong's doppelganger. i believe these are two different characters. although, based on the same scene, it appears that the old man came from KOC and was switched with the original park mun-haeng of ROK.

46 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Yes, someone did mention it somewhere in the post.....:)

The old man already replaced the father of that man who was killed. He expected himself to be the heir of the business but nope.. LR said it is better if your real son took over the business -- your referring to the old man.   

Oppps... mod.. please help me to combine these two posts.. tqvm

i believe this is a correct observation. that means, 2 minions of LR from KOC will be running the operations of that said business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Can someone explain to me all the scenes involving the HG Chairman and his son?

1.  When they're shown the first time, they're leaving a hotel in Korea.  
2.  In the scene with Lee Lim, the father appears and calls Lee Lim "Prince Imperial Geum".  Why?  Is he now the Corean version?  Where is his Korea counterpart?

3.  The son says "He's acting like that again. I'm the one who asked you to bring that idiot, but he only listens to you, and not me".  I don't get what this means?

• Like 3

I don't understand why other dramas fans can't leave this thread alone, always pop-up every week to talk about rating. Please if you don't have anything better to do keep watching your favorite drama and leave this thread alone for those who are enjoying the drama. that is why every drama has it own thread for people who like it.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, syntyche said:

When the detective did his first search, there was no match for Tae Eul's fingerprints since Luna has not been caught yet at that time. Luna only had her fingerprints on file when she got locked up recently.

Er.. wait. I'm confused!

Not sure if anyone replied as I have so much to catch up again. :sweat_smile:

I thought the detective said they couldn't locate her because she was already in jail?

He also questioned JY over the voice message how did he get her prints then if she was already in jail?

I will need to do a rewatch of episode 7 soon!

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

I have now the impression that Lee Rim didn't kill the doppelganger of Lee Gon but killed another child as replacement. Why? Because we know that he used his doppelganger to fake his death, however his doppelganger has been declared as dead in ROK as well. He killed someone else in order to have a corpse. In my opinion, he did the same with Ji Hun. He killed a child and used it as replacement so that when Lee Gon would enter this world, he would believe that he has no doppelganger. By doing so, he could separate the son from the mother and influence the boy so that he let Ji Hun replace Lee Gon as king before getting rid of him. Ji Hun would be the perfect puppet and he controls Ji Hun's mother by using her guilt.

@syntyche Lee Lim knows that time stops, when Lee Gon enters or leaves the parallel world and in my opinion, he is using this time to change certain things, like f. ex. enter Luna's fingerprints and send her to jail. In my opinion, he has been manipulating the info.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 6

17 minutes ago, gwin said:

Can someone explain to me all the scenes involving the HG Chairman and his son?

1.  When they're shown the first time, they're leaving a hotel in Korea.  
2.  In the scene with Lee Lim, the father appears and calls Lee Lim "Prince Imperial Geum".  Why?  Is he now the Corean version?  Where is his Korea counterpart?

3.  The son says "He's acting like that again. I'm the one who asked you to bring that idiot, but he only listens to you, and not me".  I don't get what this means?

I usually don’t have a hard time understanding this show but this scene got me confused. I can’t decide who is from Korea and who is from Corea. Why would the fake son be ok with replacing his real father? And how does owning a company fit into the grand scheme of everything? 

The only thing I understood, it’s taken place in Korea and someone got killed. Maybe we just have to wait and see more but @syntyche @scrawford, I’d like to know your take on this scene. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

I usually don’t have a hard time understanding this show but this scene got me confused. I can’t decide who is from Korea and who is from Corea. Why would the fake son be ok with replacing his real father? And how does owning a company fit into the grand scheme of everything? 

I can only imagine that the real father does not want to hand over the company to the arrogant son.

So son decided to switch the father so that the new "father" can listen to him and hand over the company to him without much delay. 

Everything should boils down to money.

Maybe the company is contributing a lot to th country's GDP and etc and thus has a lot of power to have a say in the country or government. 

Money is the root of all evil and also power.

What Lee Rim wants will ultimately be money, power and everything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

still cut

New still cut photos of Kim Go Eun as the criminal "Luna"

원본 이미지

Fan art

adding

-no 1 netflix korea & top 10 netflix all around the world -ranked no 2 in gooddata drama ranking for 3 weeks in a row & leeminho kimgoeun in top 5 actors category

c as labeled

• Like 8
  • Love 5

10 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have now the impression that Lee Rim didn't kill the doppelganger of Lee Gon but killed another child as replacement. Why? Because we know that he used his doppelganger to fake his death, however his doppelganger has been declared as dead in ROK as well. By doing so, he could separate the son from the mother and influence the boy so that he let Ji Hun replace Lee Gon as king before getting rid of him. Ji Hun would be the perfect puppet and he controls Ji Hun's mother by using her guilt.

@syntyche Lee Lim knows that time stops, when Lee Gon enters or leaves the parallel world and in my opinion, he is using this time to change certain things, like f. ex. enter Luna's fingerprints and send her to jail. In my opinion, he has been manipulating the info.

i think so too. besides, the body of the young LG was never shown when he apparently died while he was still young. LR merely told LG's mother in ROK that young LG is already dead as seen in episode 1 or 2.

8 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

The only thing I understood, it’s taken place in Korea and someone got killed. Maybe we just have to wait and see more but @syntyche @scrawford, I’d like to know your take on this scene. 

i don't think he is aware that his real father is not the same guy who he thinks he is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, asul_03 said:

i don't think he is aware that his real father is not the same guy who he thinks he is.

Nope.

He told the "father" not to bow with the face of his father.

Else why did he call him an idiot?

So he is aware of the swapping because he thought it would benefit him.

What a son! I can say that seeing him being killed is actually satisfying.  :naughty:

• Like 3
  • Love 1