[Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령

0ly40

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This drama is definitely not a traditional saeguk, but a romance story set up with that era as the background. It’s light-hearted and has modern elements in it. I do enjoy it so far. It’s been a while to see a light-hearted romance saeguk on TV.

———some spoiler might be below——

The herorine, Roo Hae-Hyung, is well scripted and easier to understand. I like her character, a brave, intelligent and free-sprited woman, who will chanllenge the authority and pursue her dream. 

I’m trying to understand Lee Rim’s character... He’s been abandoned since born in an isolated place of the palace without love from his father ( disapproved and hated by his father). But he didn’t become a pathetic or spiteful person. Instead,  he is innocent and clueless. This might be because he does not know the world outside or the dark side of the palace, and he fortunately has a protective brother and a loyal servant. But he is eager for love and appreciation. He’s trying to seek his own value. Writing becomes a way for him to escape the reality and satisfy his ego.

So, he should have two types of life with two different roles. I expected to see his two completely different faces. But somehow, i’m not sure it’s the directing or the scripting, the difference of two roles is not very clear. I mean they uncovered his novelist identity too soon before showing the contrast of the two roles. The two-identity plot is wasted in this way.   

Losing ability to write should become a reason for Lee Rim to stand up for himself, but it seems he doesn’t know he could have this option, or the reason is not important enough. When he begins to discover the palace secret and meets Hae-Hyung in the palace, he will change. I’m really looking forward to this direction. 

Cha Eunwoo portrayed a very cute, innocent and clueless prince, which put smile on my face during watching the drama. I’m expecting his character will show the deeper side as the story develops. I hope the directing and scripting could show more the struggling Lee Rim is facing. He can’t just goof around. I do enjoy the comedy, but his story line should focus more on the inner side of this character because Lee Rim should be a complicated character. ( somehow, I feel because it’s Cha Eunwoo, the script put too much effort on his cuteness, but it could break the balance of the drama tempo. I don’t think it’s Cha eunwoo’s fault. I feel his acting actually is improved.)

Hi I'm new to this forum and I have been enjoying Rookie Historian very much. I'm a huge fan of Shin Se Kyung especially in saeguks. And from the 2 episodes. I can ultimatelye say that she nailed her role and have showcased her experience in saeuguks really well. 

I'm just immensely sad by the low ratings. The entire cast and hardworking crew doesn't deserve to be judged so early. 

The costumes and set are wonderfully made. Background music is amazing and has a very- Disney feel to it. Sometimes it feels like Se Kyung is a Korean Disney princess in Hanbok. Very lovely and feisty.

Just also noticed how much MBC is promoting this drama. I enjoy their strategy but I also noticed that they give so much of the highlight scenes of the main leads away. The audience have seen everything already from the numerous previews and promos by MBC. 

Do you guys think, Rooki Historian Goo Hae Ryung still has the chance to make it big in terms of its dometic ratings?? 

@SuperTank I think the drama has (40)20 episodes, which is what my Netflix shows and MBC claimed it before if I remembered correctly. 

I agree with you that people judged this drama too early. I really enjoy it. Why did people criticize Cha Eunwoo so much? I thought Lee Rim’s character was supposed to behave this way: very innocent and clueless, just like a white paper and waiting for Hae-Hyung to paint on. 

HI! Yep I just confirmed when I checked it on Netflix that it has been updated and now has 20 eps.

With how fast the pacing is, I wonder how much the story has yet to unfold.

*****SPOILER*****

I even thought they'd keep the double-identity of Prine Lee rim would be kept on for at least 5 eps. Shocked that it was revealed on the 2nd. 

As for the ratings, I don't know man. I'm just frustrated that it might just get lower on the next eps. Do you think knetz will still give this drama a chance? Love it enough and it save me from my drama slump

This drama is saving me from my drama slump too. After more than 10 years watching kdrama I am quite selective and not easy to please :D Eunwoo's acting is fairly stable for a rookie. He has improved a lot compare to Gangnam Beauty. I enjoyed every scene n yes maybe I am also biased bec he is beautiful. As long as the plot stays tight, fast and interesting I'm watching regardless the rating n criticism.

Not finished the ep 3 yet, but can't wait to write this:

How can Lady Song Sa-Hui touched Crown Prince Lee-Jin's hand -  isn't rude?? and seems like Lee-Jin okay with it (I like the flirting :D)

But wow..... LJ smiled brightly only  towards GHR, I hope LJ will fall in love with her.

According to the relationship chart, there's no connection shown between the crown prince and hae ryung. Which is good; I don't need sibling love rivalry on top of the other drama! However, sa hee might misunderstand later in the series and have animosity towards hae ryung. I agree that park ki woong and shin se kyung have great chemistry. 

Oh yeah!! Glad you pointed about the relationship chart. There's no connection/love line indicated between Hae Ryung and Lee Jin but omg their chemistry is off the roof! I almost squeeled when Lee Jin smiled at her. It almost feels like LJ will have a little crush on her because of her smarts and guts. 

I don't feel good about Sa Hui's character it seems like she likes Lee Jin because he is the Crown Prince and for his power. It's quite obvious that she might hate Hae Ryung for being incharge of their Lady Historian girl gang. 

At this point, I'm enjoying Shin Se Kyung's chemistry with Lee Jin and Historian Min. I cannot help but want her to be with  them as well. She matches all of the 3 hahaha. 

I'm excited with the next ep. Ep 5-6 was definitely more fun than the previous eps. Hope the ratings have pulled up. 

P.S. Still can't move on with Hae Ryung and Lee Jin's interaction. It might be minimal but gaaaah can they have an entire drama together as the couple? 

1 hour ago, choiwj720 said:

I'm currently on episode 3 and a bit lost.

Could somebody explain why they hired female historians? Why female?

You may want to rewatch episode 2 then. That's where it's explained. (see the 36 minute mark) It was minister min's idea. His motive is to catch the writer of The Story of Ho Dam, who bothers him in mind for some reason. He talks about how he has people everywhere and his influence reaches all over the country- except within the palace. Remember sa hee met with him. Guess she's supposed to be his spy. Remember, men are not allowed around the palace as women are, especially the women's quarters. 

4 hours ago, SuperTank said:

Oh yeah!! Glad you pointed about the relationship chart. There's no connection/love line indicated between Hae Ryung and Lee Jin but omg their chemistry is off the roof! I almost squeeled when Lee Jin smiled at her. It almost feels like LJ will have a little crush on her because of her smarts and guts. 

I don't feel good about Sa Hui's character it seems like she likes Lee Jin because he is the Crown Prince and for his power. It's quite obvious that she might hate Hae Ryung for being incharge of their Lady Historian girl gang. 

At this point, I'm enjoying Shin Se Kyung's chemistry with Lee Jin and Historian Min. I cannot help but want her to be with  them as well. She matches all of the 3 hahaha. 

I'm excited with the next ep. Ep 5-6 was definitely more fun than the previous eps. Hope the ratings have pulled up. 

P.S. Still can't move on with Hae Ryung and Lee Jin's interaction. It might be minimal but gaaaah can they have an entire drama together as the couple? 

I'm with you on the HR and LJ chemistry....really love their interaction. Actually I'm checking this drama without any expectations but it's surprisingly addicting! I like the plot so far. And pleasantly surprised by Park Ki Woong acting as the Crown Prince. He exudes charisma and authority in all his scenes even when he's joking with his brother... Didn't know that he can fit in sageuk so well...  I hope they didn't kill his character midway.. though him being the Crown Prince (and a good one at that) and not a lead character, chances are high that he will be killed and that his death will be the reason for Lee Rim to come out of his hiding and become a stronger person as he takes the place of his beloved brother.

Take not that this only my opinion as the drama is not based on any real life characters so I don't know how the story will develop later  hence I did not put the above paragraph in spoiler tag.

29 minutes ago, mathildafc said:

I'm with you on the HR and LJ chemistry....really love their interaction. Actually I'm checking this drama without any expectations but it's surprisingly addicting! I like the plot so far. And pleasantly surprised by Park Ki Woong acting as the Crown Prince. He exudes charisma and authority in all his scenes even when he's joking with his brother... Didn't know that he can fit in sageuk so well...  I hope they didn't kill his character midway.. though him being the Crown Prince (and a good one at that) and not a lead character, chances are high that he will be killed and that his death will be the reason for Lee Rim to come out of his hiding and become a stronger person as he takes the place of his beloved brother.

Take not that this only my opinion as the drama is not based on any real life characters so I don't know how the story will develop later  hence I did not put the above paragraph in spoiler tag.

Yes! I know that Park Ki woong is a good actor. But not expecting that he'll be this good. Love him in this drama especially when he smiles. 

Oh gosh, I hope he isn't killed midway and stay until the very end. I'm very intrigued with his unusual affection or favor towards Hae ryung. Is it plain interest because somebody dares to challlenge his authority. Or he simple finds Hae Ryung cute and smart ( i personally prefer the latter) 

I also have a hunch that something "might" happen with Lee jin in order for Lee rim to step up his game

11 minutes ago, SuperTank said:

Yes! I know that Park Ki woong is a good actor. But not expecting that he'll be this good. Love him in this drama especially when he smiles. 

Oh gosh, I hope he isn't killed midway and stay until the very end. I'm very intrigued with his unusual affection or favor towards Hae ryung. Is it plain interest because somebody dares to challlenge his authority. Or he simple finds Hae Ryung cute and smart ( i personally prefer the latter) 

I also have a hunch that something "might" happen with Lee jin in order for Lee rim to step up his game

I feel the same. The nightmare lee rim had with him being in the red king's(!) robes got me nervous about impending doom for lee jin. Like you sad, hopefully lee jin doesn't actually die, just maybe a threat to him that gets lee rim to "wake up" and mature. Looking forward to our leading man's growth. 

Hahaha these 4 female Rookie Historians really got the bullies from their seniors.

This Yang Si-Haeng guy is really annoying - he's never serious and act like a clown, troublemaker :D

And my other favourite characters are: Eunuch SamBo and the Bookseller. The bookseller guy acts through the shape of his mouth, his face is so comical. LOL.

Archived