[Drama 2019] Confession, 자백

0ly40

Confession: a mystery evolving around confessions and its implications

This K-drama deals about a lawyer, Choi Do Hyun who is trying to find the truth about his father’s crime. Our main protagonist believes that his father has been innocent, however the latter had confessed his crime from the start. This K-drama started airing just three weeks ago on TVN and so far, it is quite entertaining because of the script and the acting. Lee Joon Ho as Choi Do Hyun and Yoo Jae Myung as the detective Ki Choon Ho are doing a terrific job.

What caught my attention was the title “Confession” because after 6 episodes, it becomes clear that the main topic of this K-drama is indeed confession. In each episode, the viewer sees different kind of confessions.

1. Han Joon Gu and his confessions

In the first episode, the criminal Han Joon Gu kept calling the police in order to tease them as they had not caught the murderer. Indirectly, the police and the prosecution used these calls as evidence that he was in fact the killer.

Spoiler

confession-hgj-episode-1.png?w=660

But at his trial, he retracted his confession. A retracted confession is a statement made by an accused person before the trial begins, by which he / she admits to have committed the offence, but which he/she repudiate at the trial. This gave the impression that the police could have use violence in order to obtain his confession.

Spoiler

image-16.png?w=660

episode 1 the accused Han Joon Gu

Our male protagonist is able to defend his client so that Han Joon Gu is found not guilty. Then 5 years later, a similar crime occurs and all the evidence is pointing out Han Joon Gu. The latter had just left the prison a few days ago. The lawyer is now facing a dilemma: he knows now that Han Joon Gu had killed the victim Yang Ae Ran 5 years ago but he is well aware that this time his client is innocent.

image-17.png?w=660
episode 3: Han Joon Gu confessing his crime

This time, his confession creates a scandal. The double jeopardy protects him from being prosecuted for the murder. He has been found innocent due to lack of evidence 5 years ago and now he is once again released. His lawyer with the detective’s help could prove his innocence for the second murder. Besides, the prosecution can not press charges against Han Joon Gu for the same crime despite his confession.

2. The nurse Cho

She is Choi Do Hyun’s second client. The prosecution accuses the nurse of committing a professional mistake but later changes the charges. Now, the patient’s death is considered as a murder. During the trial, the nurse remains quiet so that her silence is used as evidence against her. Only at the final hearing, she confesses her crime explaining how it happened. The victim had sexually assaulted her in the past. Her confession contrasts so much to Han Joon Gu’s confession as it shows the pain of the defendant.

image-19.png?w=660
episode 5

Yet, this doesn’t end here as the nurse confesses to Choi Do Hyun’s friend Han Yu Ri that 10 years ago no one asked her anything, when Han Yu Ri’s father died. So her words imply that back then a crime occurred and she was involved in the death of Han Yu Ri’s father.

3. Choi Pil Soo and his confession 

image-20.png?w=660
episode 6 : Choi Pil Soo is holding a gun, there is a witness and the crime has just happened.

Unlike in the other cases, the confession is made right after the crime, when the detective Ki Choon Ho arrives at the crime scene. Choi Do Hyun’s father admits the crime immediately without any emotion. Besides, he never gives an explanation or a motive for the murder. Furthermore, after his confession, he remains silence and even cuts ties with his own son. Yet, it becomes clear that Choi Pil Soo admitted the crime in exchange for his son’s surgery. Choi Do Hyun had a heart transplant shortly after his father’s trial. Here there is a conspiracy where the confession was used as the best evidence in order to cover up the real murderers and the motive, corruption.

@thistle @ktcjdrama @reut

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's only six episodes for now but whatever truth that will be reveal later, I don't think it will be good for Dohyun. Seems like his father voluntarily admit that he was the murderer in the change for Dohyun future. The CEO promise that he will take care of Dohyun so I guess what Dohyun have now, without he even realised it, maybe somewhat because of the help from the CEO. He gave Dohyun the opportunity to live and maybe set path for him to start his career.

Seems like Dohyun future was built by the pain from many people. I understand his father's selfish love but can he handle it when he knows the truth? Well, this is my assumption after 6episodes so we'll just wait how the writer reveal the whole story.

18 minutes ago, reut said:

Sooo it looks like this thread is dead. Has everyone moved to dramabeans now?:unsure:

@reut And too bad Dramabeans only recap for the 1st episode. But I’m still loyal with this thread though, keep waiting for others post/ opinion about the plot and each episode revelations.

I subscribed for Kplus and hopefully I can watch Confession tonight with subtitles as I’m on holiday right now. Watched the raw version but due to my very limited korean, I only understand 15% of i :-(

11 minutes ago, zaireen said:

@reut And too bad Dramabeans only recap for the 1st episode. But I’m still loyal with this thread though, keep waiting for others post/ opinion about the plot and each episode revelations.

I subscribed for Kplus and hopefully I can watch Confession tonight with subtitles as I’m on holiday right now. Watched the raw version but due to my very limited korean, I only understand 15% of i :-(

Yeah, that's too bad. The ever growing number of comments isn't very handy either but oh well, at least we have a small community thereB)

Oh that's great! I hope you will write down your thoughts here and tell us about the most exciting/interesting parts of the episode!

I think it's more because of the subs that's coming out too slow. That's why it's more difficult for people to discuss as everyone is at different pace depending on their source. 

Also the genre is a heavy one, which is not everyone's cup of tea. 

Finished watching ep.8.... Can't wait for new episode!!

I'll try to do a recap of ep.7-8 if time allows in these couple days. I'm rather short of time these days. Maybe starting next week I'll be able to do so much earlier.

Man this story is going so deep im wondering when it will end lol.

just confused at this with what I'm assuming is that they're going to rule jong du's death as a suicide but how would it make sense for him to fight off a guard where he actually pushed him and ran in order to call DH but then its framed to look like a suicide. Like from their perspective, he physically fought off a guard to commit suicide lol unless there some obvious corruption there it doesn't make sense from their perspective? Also why did JD need to call DH immediately? it seemed like he was warned not to tell him about anything but like to call him right after getting the warning just seemed weird for me since it didn't look like the police officer would kill him soon. so he couldve just waited for the right moment soon after to do so but he had to do it immediately right after lol. Also confused why its kinda obvious the brother hired DH to save his sister but then like now he wants to kill him lol? if he didnt ask DH to help with the case earlier it would avoided the whole thing lol.

3 hours ago, Neunji said:

Also why did JD need to call DH immediately? it seemed like he was warned not to tell him about anything but like to call him right after getting the warning just seemed weird for me since it didn't look like the police officer would kill him soon. so he couldve just waited for the right moment soon after to do so but he had to do it immediately right after lol

When one panicks, one cannot think straight, especially when he truly believes his life is in danger. Since he has witnessed this person kill cold bloodedly, he must have really feared for his life. For a psycho like JKT, we can never tell when he would kill. 

3 hours ago, Neunji said:

Also confused why its kinda obvious the brother hired DH to save his sister but then like now he wants to kill him lol? if he didnt ask DH to help with the case earlier it would avoided the whole thing lol.

Not understanding your comment very much actually. But I think the reason he didn't kill him, but only send warning (knife on desk) is because he still needs him to help his sister. I also think he doesn't really have much choice of a lawyer who can defend his sister, which is why he posed as her boyfriend, also knowing DH will have a personal concern/effort since Nurse Jo is someone he knows. 

12 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Not understanding your comment very much actually. But I think the reason he didn't kill him, but only send warning (knife on desk) is because he still needs him to help his sister. I also think he doesn't really have much choice of a lawyer who can defend his sister, which is why he posed as her boyfriend, also knowing DH will have a personal concern/effort since Nurse Jo is someone he knows. 

What I mean is that if he was the one that initiated the first interaction between DH and his sister. I don't get how does he hire the lawyer that basically freed the person he was trying to frame. So it's like now basically the fate of his sister is in the hands of a dude that he will probably have to kill or at least physically harm in the future. He could've asked the DSC to help him out or whatever ORG he is helping out but now hes stuck in this predicament.

@Neunji For me, obviously the main plot for this drama is about political corruption especially in the army. So anything can happen if it's involve someone with a higher ranking. They can't get the information about CKT and his data disappeared by someone's order. For 10 years mdm Jin thought her son's death cause by an accident but actually he was murdered. The ones who wanted to uncover the truth suddenly died and they make it look like they died without their intervention.

One of the the survivor is DH's father who i think choose to join the bad guys because of his son. I don't think they dare to touch DH coz his father hold the evidence of their corruption. CKT won't harm him for now because as a soldier, he just following the order from his superior. Because if something happens to DH, his father will release the evidence.

16 hours ago, Neunji said:

What I mean is that if he was the one that initiated the first interaction between DH and his sister. I don't get how does he hire the lawyer that basically freed the person he was trying to frame. So it's like now basically the fate of his sister is in the hands of a dude that he will probably have to kill or at least physically harm in the future. He could've asked the DSC to help him out or whatever ORG he is helping out but now hes stuck in this predicament.

I wouldn't call that "stuck" tbh. From what I've gathered about CKT he 1. is a psychopath 2. is very, very used to all his dirty deeds being covered by the higher-ups 3. thinks himself super smart and cunning even though he isn't. So my take on his actions towards Dohyun was that he was curious about Dohyun, maybe one of the few people he can't touch, so he went and met Dohyun and got a glimpse of his everyday life (and gave himself a pat on the shoulder for excellent acting) but he couldn't predict that Dohyun would be digging into him soon after. Not that it bothers him now, I'm sure he's sure he can get away with anything and if push comes to shove he'll just disappear again and take a new identity or something. 

On 4/14/2019 at 4:12 PM, reut said:

Yeah, that's too bad. The ever growing number of comments isn't very handy either but oh well, at least we have a small community thereB)

Oh that's great! I hope you will write down your thoughts here and tell us about the most exciting/interesting parts of the episode!

@reut  My poor brain can hardly take in what I'm watching so I can't come up with any on my own :D

BTW, I love reading everyone's' theories and insights into this show.

Hehhh, I finally caught up to E8.  Quiet still this thread. :lol: I'm here cuz @ktcjdrama wants me to post more. LOL

Okieee, so I have some thoughts.

• DH is protected by dad's hidden Black Bear report, question is where and/or who has it? By the time of his meeting at Hwaye with others (who else, besides him, CEO Oh, Lt Col Cha?), the documents are safe kept somewhere or with someone. I could only guess the person who knows about the documents would have enough authority to bypass DSC.  I think there could be 2 copies.  One is with Prosecutor No (in his briefcase and was taken by CKT after the accident) and the other is... somewhere.   Choi Pil-soo knows No is dead yet he is confident that the document is safe.  Secondly, how will he signal to the person or release the document when he is incarcerated and has no access to the outside world?  Could he have contact in the prison?
  • Why did Choi Pil-soo accept fault for killing Lt Col Cha?  The timeline doesn't correspond to the heart transplant. Unless, No's accident was several days before the Hwaye's meeting? Was No on life support for several days.? That is one thing I don't get... why did he said he killed Cha?  Perhaps DSC killed No then told Choi Pil-soo that his plan has been thwarted.  If he takes blame, the heart will go to his son DH.
  • Prosecutor Oh's accident was near Hwaye.  The last two people No contacted were prosecutor Yang In Bum and Seol-hwa.  I wonder if No was on his way to confront CEO Oh and collaborated with his whistle blowers (Cha and Choi).  He perhaps called Seol-hwa to ask her to record the conversation?  Question is whether Choi Pil-soo knows about the recorder or why did No called Yang?
  • Kim Sun-Hee was untouched for 10 years, at least until she blackmailed someone before her death.  The TV coverage on Bright Political Party (Choo Myung Geun - we saw a brief glance of him) triggered her interest.  Could it be that he was also at the meeting or seen at Hwaye somehow.   She left the country after the shooting, unharmed because they didn't know she planted the recording device.  Her death was pinned on Han Jong Koo to make like a serial killer's victim to eliminate Jong Koo as an eyewitness.
  • Secretary Hwang, ex soldier, controls CTK moves.  Since both are no longer in the military, what circumstances bind CTK to him and why under his order now?  Could it be related to Nurse Jo, his sister?
  • What did Det Ki interviewed for, a special police recruitment, yet he refused to go back to the force?  
  • So far, I don't see CEO Oh/CTK puts pressure on Det Ki, who has no protection like DH. I fear for him as well as the women.  He won't be safe soon.
  • I really like that Madame Jin and Yuri are involved.  Part of me think Chief Prosecutor Yang will protect Madame Jin, he ordered a copy of No's case sent to her so he appeared to not understand the whole scope of the cover up.  His superior at the time, the second prosecutor, may have known more.
  • Madame Jin and Yuri will be safe as long as they stick with DH. LOL
  • More stories and screen time for the ladies please.  There has to be more clues to uncovered in No's office at home or on his computer.  How about those numbers on his cell phone?
  • If all roads lead to DSC, DH must remember seeing those dog tags on CTK later on.^^
  • Han Jong Koo was kept alive all these years, why does someone suddenly want him in prison?  Why not kill him 10 years ago or anytime since then?
  • CTK address is of his sister Nurse Jo, which means he knows where she lives although she has not contacted him for over 10 years.  Something must have happened to their relationship at the time of No's accident/reporter Ha's death in the hospital.
  • Pethidine was found in Changhyun-dong murder, Kim Sun-Hee, and prosecutor No's toxicology reports.  The drug can only be found in the hospital.  CTK possibly been using his sister's access to the hospital to steal the drug?  There was no way that the hospital not investigate the drug's disappearance.
  • DH's heart is failing.  If genetic, Madame Jin must disclosed to DH that she is the mother of the donor so they can have an idea of the genetic background.
  • How will Det Ki react when he knows about Han Jong Koo's death?
  • Prosecutor Lee holds the key to uncover the past, namely what prosecutor No did?  How to bring him to the good side? Let have him be the hero.
  • Yoon Hyung-Ho who plays Heo Jae Man/CTK is fantastic.

Looking forward to seeing more of your comments, guys!  

@ktcjdrama @bebebisous33 or anyone, i forgot the details.  Reporter Ha has 2 appts on his calendars:  meeting with No on Feb 23 and another meeting with someone else.  Do you remember the name?

In regard to reporter Ha, he was fairly ill in the hospital when DH and Yuri met.  Makes me think whether he was healthy at all when he did all these investigations or his heart gave up on him just all of sudden.  With a full calendar, I would think he collapsed suddenly.  Was it foul play? When did DSC know he was on to them to want to kill him and also, how did they find out?  Was it from the contents in prosecutor No’s briefcase or from his conversation with prosecutor Yang before his death?

I think Yang may have told his superior about No’s case thus why DSC killed him and was able to expose/kill all the whistleblowers.  DSC prearranged the Hwaye meeting with both Cha and Choi.  Yang’s guilt toward Madame Jin could stem from the fact that he suspected their last phone convo lead to his death, not that he was directly involved.

Don’t you think Choi Pil Soo is pretty smart to confess to the crime.  Prison is the safest place for him to be in.  Otherwise, he would be killed by DSC, esp when all eyewitnesses or people who knew about the crime have all been eliminated.  DH is his father’s son, intelligent man.

Archived