Quantcast
Maetawinz

[Drama 2019] Romance Is A Supplement, 로맨스는 별책부록

Hi everyone, I have not visited Soompi for quite some time. Nice to some familiar names here =)

The first half of the series has hooked me and I hope I do not lose interest in the course of the latter half.

I think what has drawn me so far is the 2 leading characters and how they are navigating the working world.

Like EH, I was employed at my first company for 10 years. I also aspire to have a part-time lecturing job - which EH does have on the show. However, life happened and I decided not to be stuck in my dead-end job. I took a leap of faith and recently resigned without another job lined up (3 months notice btw). And suddenly, I found my situation to be similar to that of DY's - in terms of the struggles of job-seeking. I am still sending out CVs and telling myself 'fighting! you can do it!'

I feel like EH will not be giving a straight 'I like you' answer to DY tonight. Most likely, he will skirt around the idea of fancying DY and see her reactions, test waters. Think this will be more aligned with his thoughts, considering his fear of losing a friend, should he confess before verifying that a serious relationship is possible.

Looking forward to tonight's episode!

3 hours ago, moomooz said:

Any live stream for this show ? 

Not that I know of. In Singapore, new episodes are available on Netflix at around midnight.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

.. can’t wait for today episode :blush:

How adorable he can be :wub:

.. oh sweet moment :heart:

.. cr to the owner 

• Like 6

Breathtaking moment :heart::glasses:

... Cr to the owner 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

EP 9 Impression ( Dan Yi and her feeling for Eunho change, and haerin's heart bleed twice today and the mysterious KBJ issue thicken)

Ep 9 open up to where it end last week. Eunho running away instead of answering danyi...he did answer later by denying ....then confess for real...before getting headbutt from danyi :lol: to get himself together....or herself actually. :smirk: THIS TWO NEED TO GET REAL, ASAP 

D0GgdEmVYAA3o85.jpg

Jiyul making another mistake and Haerin has to take the blame this time. Jiyul needs to get herself together or she will get fired in no time. countless mistake already.  :crazy: and it still doesn't register on her head that she can't do this work half-heartedly.

Eun Ho rejection letter to Haerin was very nice. he tried his best to reject her which will respect her love to him. Its cruel too because he made it sound so nice and actually making people love him more.  it' is going hard to move on. BUT!!!!!!!!!! no worries, it seem that both second lead has so much chemistry together, that they will mend each other heartbreak later, which is tomorrow, actually. It seem that Seo Jun has noticed that Dan Yi heart has open up to another person. :)

D0Ghd72UcAAQOKb.jpg

HOWEVER,that last scene. what happen to Eun Ho dad, which we've known as Author Kang Byeong Jun.  did he get so sick that he has to be tied up like that? Eun Ho cries :cry:

D0GiMhKUwAYdbOm.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

woah. tonight’s episode starts to open up some question boxes. i fell in love with how DY define EH as a book.... writer-nim, thank you for such a beautiful episode!!!

ms. Go! finally we can see that smile of yours towards DY at the office. and to JY... im starting to dislike you sorry. 

my heart aches for both HR and EH. HR is too lovable and too strong. even when she’s hurting, she smiles throughout EH’s rejection. i can’t imagine what will happen to her when she finds out that DY is the one who’s living with EH. 

And EH... your sobs are very heart breaking and heart warming at the same time. (children who cries out for their parents somehow warms my heart, it tells me their genuine love for them y know. i know im weird.) I think his father is mentally ill because his hands and arms are tied up.

oh and one more thing, I’m hoping that HR and SJ ends up together! they have the same vision and their chemistry is daebak. go on a date! get married! and make books (babies)! :D

• Like 8

The preview to ep 10

DY: My heart is the one that has changed... (She’s contemplating words that JSJ had said to her about how a book is the same, but the reader may change, so that the same book reads differently. This was said to her because DY used to analogy of a familiar book all of a sudden seeming to be strange and even have new lines in it when she reads it now.)
JSJ: I’ve been an invisible man all night, haven’t I? It was still nice, watching from behind you.
DY: Cha Eun Ho hasn’t come home for 3 days now.
DY: I should at least file a missing persons report and find him.
EH: If you say you missed me, then I’ll come home.
DY: Do you how worried I was?!
EH: Noona. I missed you.

The preview version that is at the end of ep 9. It has some extra bits with HR.

DY: My heart is the one that has changed...
JSJ: I’ve been an invisible man all night, haven’t I? It was still nice, watching from behind you.
HR: (on the phone to EH) I used to have a person who would comfort me each time I was dumped by a guy.
EH: (on the phone to HR) You should find someone else now. (To comfort her in that way since she knows that he knows that she had liked him. Also, she had confessed to him that she had actually not dated anyone the entire time she knew him. She just made it up that she had been dumped in order to get EH to comfort her since that was the only way he would give her that kind of attention.)
JSJ: (to HR who is sitting alone at the neighborhood cafe after her phone call to EH) Do you need a friend? Why are you in my neighborhood crying?
DY: Cha Eun Ho hasn’t come home for 3 days now.
DY: I should at least file a missing persons report and first find him.
EH: If you say you missed me, then I’ll come home.
DY: Do you how worried I was?!
EH: Noona. I missed you.

So, it is ultimately, JSJ who provides insight into DY's feelings. Episode 9 basically showed how clueless DY was at romance. Not just the overtures from EH, but even Park Hoon telling DY not to go to help JY at the warehouse since he's going to go to her, and DY saying that it would be faster with 2 people until PH exasperatedly tells DY that she really is clueless. :lol: Anyway, it seems that things are pushing DY to help realize her own self and feelings.

I thought after the ep 8 ending that DY asking EH about liking her wasn't going to end romantically, but watching the episode, it actually made sense. DY isn't ready to have EH go from being her "little brother" to a viable man for her. In her mind, DY still constantly thinks of EH as her little brother, even buying a shirt for him but in a big sister kind of way. One of the things that will be interesting to see is when DY changes EH's name on her phone from "little brother" to something else. I think the subs say that it says "Eun Ho" on her phone when he calls her, but it's been consistently designated as "little brother", so I think it will be significant when she allows the their designations to be something other than noona-dongsaeng.

But, we haven't seen the part from the previous preview where EH exclaims that he's not going to call the woman he likes "noona", so I hope we get that in the next episode.

Also, the man that EH goes to see. I think that may be his father in the grips of dementia which is why the father may have withdrawn from public life and from writing. :(

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

I seriously can't stand the "Mama's Girl" intern!:crazy: She's dumb as a ton of bricks, like how does she even function in other aspects of her daily life!? I know her character is used as comic relief but the character becomes annoying that it's unbearable to watch her scenes. She just knows to bawl like a baby and doesn't even know to do the slightest, most simplest task. At least with Dan-I, she takes the initiative, and she's so much older too:rolleyes::P 

Speaking of, I'm slowly gettin' tired of Dan-I bein' clueless to Eun-Ho's feelings. Eun-Ho's not any better by not being honest either. He was pretty direct with Hae-Rin though. She's much better off with Seo-Joon imo. 

Apart from these and other similar tropes, the drama does have bits of inspirational moments into life. Like how Dan-I felt she lost her identity when she was married, and through her work she finds purpose again etc. Also it sort of motivates me to pick up a book aha.  

• Like 7

Surely, tying up someone with a rope isn't the way to treat dementia. Actually, I can't think of a disease that needs such restraints, unless it was just an episodic act of violence.

Even for a lunatic or maniac, they would use a straitjacket (a la Hannibal Lecter). But using a rope seems so archaic and inhumane.???

• Like 6

I was on k-drama hiatus for more than a year so I can't compare this drama with recent ones.

But allow me to gush about how well the writing and editing and acting of episode 9 were. I will try to avoid giving out spoilers for those who haven't seen it.

1. The indirect/direct love confession of Eun-ho was  brilliant! With EH and DY's history and relationship, of course it would go that way!
2. I believe that Hae-rim and Seo-Joon's future relationship will have a solid foundation. Their bond will not come from heartbreak but for their love of books. They may end up as friends only or more, either way, I am fine with it.
3. DY unconsciouly bought a gift for EH. Right now, she probably has no idea why. But later, she will realize all her past actions were because of something more.
4. DY telling more about EH to SJ (without mentioning his name) and SJ's insights on DY's feelings at the udon resto was my favourite scene in this episode.
5. EH's rejection of HR's was a bit cowardly but not out of character. It took him 13 letters to do it but he finally did it. HR was right, how could you hate him though? My second favourite scene in this episode.

Other things that I liked in episode 9:
1. Ms Go's smile/smirk because of DY's accomplishment
2. Mr Bong's return to the office - it was nice to see him back
3. The office atmosphere. You will get scolded for a mistake but at the end of the day, you're still a team and the team will help you.
4. Hoon's interaction with DY in the elevator only showed how clueless DY when it comes to people dropping hints.
5. Lee Jong-suk's acting in the end scene - that boy, ugh!

I will probably watch the episode again once or twice while waiting for the new one. I don't want to raise questions and assumptions because I just want to enjoy watching everything unfold.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

i just wanna to enjoy this drama as it is, RIBB is a kind drama we should watch with heart content there's so many relationships,interaction and undisclosed story with all their weights, we couldn't measure, seems each person's linked in book's love destiny the truth behind each story might prevail what truly person they're  even Eun ho have his own painful story not yet been told.

• Like 4

Lee Na Young And Lee Jong Suk Pick Their Favorite Moments From “Romance Is A Bonus Book”

by L. Kim
055185aa654947c2bf5d374881af19f8.jpeg?s=

With “Romance is a Bonus Book” spiraling towards its end, lead actors Lee Jong Suk and Lee Na Young took some time to answer questions and share their favorite parts from the drama.

“Romance is a Bonus Book” is tvN’s weekend drama that tells the story of Kang Dan Yi (Lee Na Young), an unemployed woman who finds work as a temporary employee at a publishing company, and Cha Eun Ho (Lee Jong Suk), the publishing company’s editor-in-chief. For a long time, they were just friends, but now, their relationship is blossoming into something more.

Their romance is slow but earnest, and deep emotions are even touching the hearts of viewers. Lee Na Young and Lee Jong Suk shared their thoughts on the key points and important scenes from the drama.

Lee Na Young said, “Kang Dan Yi finally got the hint about Cha Eun Ho’s feelings. Inescapable changes will come. As much as Cha Eun Ho loves Kang Dan Yi, Kang Dan Yi’s mind is complex and deep. The romance will get more exciting as her thoughts are revealed.”

Lee Jong Suk added, “As the love triangle goes on, each character’s defining traits will come to life.”

Not only is “Romance is a Bonus Book” a romantic story, but it also contains realistic situations in life that viewers can empathize with. Lee Na Young said, “Please see if Kang Dan Yi, who lied about her experiences and academic background, can survive the competition to the end.”

Cha Eun Ho is also at the center of writer Kang Byung Joon’s mystery. Lee Jong Suk commented, “The hidden relationship between writer Kang Byung Joon and the publishing company will be unfolded in an interesting way. Each characters’ distinct lives will be portrayed warmly, so please watch them with affection.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1305786wpp/lee-jong-suk-and-lee-na-young-pick-their-favorite-moments-from-romance-is-a-bonus-book
  • Like 6

@Auntie Mame

I've personally lost my beloved mom like 2.5 months ago and she suffered from dementia.. Though oddly her mind is still quite sharp. 

Caring for a person suffering from mental illness can be consuming & I presume whoever used those archaic methods did so to prevent the man from harming himself & to keep him in place. Had he been placed in a proper facility for dementia patients, they wouldn't have to resort to such inhumane methods. 

Dementia is an illness that sadly has no cure. The human mind can be both beautiful but harmful at the same time. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I seriously can't stand the "Mama's Girl" intern!:crazy: She's dumb as a ton of bricks, like how does she even function in other aspects of her daily life!? I know her character is used as comic relief but the character becomes annoying that it's unbearable to watch her scenes. She just knows to bawl like a baby and doesn't even know to do the slightest, most simplest task. At least with Dan-I, she takes the initiative, and she's so much older too:rolleyes::P 

Speaking of, I'm slowly gettin' tired of Dan-I bein' clueless to Eun-Ho's feelings. Eun-Ho's not any better by not being honest either. He was pretty direct with Hae-Rin though. She's much better off with Seo-Joon imo. 

Apart from these and other similar tropes, the drama does have bits of inspirational moments into life. Like how Dan-I felt she lost her identity when she was married, and through her work she finds purpose again etc. Also it sort of motivates me to pick up a book aha.  

I agree with you. It is too exaggerated. JH would have been fired in real life for such a mistake. But I think, JH is not just there for comic relief. Notice that her mother has been raising JH for one purpose: marriage. So the girl has been taught that work is not really important... it is just a phase. She only needs to work for a while, until she gets married. That's why JH is not dedicated to work. Moreover, the mother's over-protection is the reason why her daughter acts like a baby. JH has no real "personality", she is like a child... she doesn't know what to do and what she likes. She works at the company but she has no connection to book and whatsoever. The mother did one good thing in this episode: cutting her credit cards. JH needs to learn how to live on her own, become independent. Imagine, JH gets married... this girl would end up just like DY. This underlines the same aspect: marriage should not be seen as the "endgame" of one life.   

@avondale16 I like the metaphor, a person is like a book. Actually, in German there are different expressions associating a person with a book:

- someone is like an open book / to read someone like in an open book

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Lee Jong Suk And Lee Na Young Are Just Seconds Away From A Kiss On “Romance Is A Bonus Book”

by U. Kim
da089ad6b88045c880b05b8bdf06e20f.jpeg?s=

Lee Na Young and Lee Jong Suk are so close to a kiss on tvN’s “Romance is a Bonus Book”!

“Romance is a Bonus Book” shows the slow yet steady romance between Kang Dan Yi (Lee Na Young), an unemployed woman who works temporarily at a publishing company, and Cha Eun Ho (Lee Jong Suk), the company’s editor-in-chief.

Spoilers

In the previous broadcast, Kang Dan Yi and Cha Eun Ho’s relationship began to change. To protect Dan Yi, Eun Ho lied that his feelings for her weren’t feelings of love, but she had already realized how he felt about her and began to see him differently. At Eun Ho’s straightforward manners, Dan Yi was both overwhelmed and nervous. She began to realize that her feelings for him had changed as well, signaling the beginning of their romance.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1305899wpp/lee-jong-suk-and-lee-na-young-are-just-seconds-away-from-a-kiss-on-romance-is-a-bonus-book
  • Like 5

[Romance is a Bonus Book] Ep 9 spoilers, Lee Jong Suk x Lee Na Young

romance.png

Article: Naver 'Romance is a Bonus Book' Lee Na Young wavers at Lee Jong Suk's confession that's a joke-heart throbbing skinship

1. [+1653,-23]
Is it because Lee Jong Suk has that pretty boy look and that handsome look? That's why he's a chemistry fairy? He's younger, but he's cute, reliable, and his acting is good too. Thanks to him, my weekends are filled with heart flutters, and I'm happy.. Eun Ho's tears at the end was so sad. 

2. [+988,-16]
This drama purifies the soul and body. EunHoDanYi are like an innocent manhwa. Their visuals and chemistry cleanses the eyes. They have good acting skills too, till it made them seem like they are really close friends. My heart fluttered because I could feel their emotions. It's calming, but pretty and warm. After watching dramas that has murder, violence and makjang, watching this drama makes me happy. 

3. [+648,-10]
Lee Jong Suk crying made my heart hurt. ㅠㅠㅠㅠ The process of Dan Yi and Eun Ho discovering their feelings for each other is heart fluttering too. 

4. [+623,-11]
Eun Ho and Dan Yi are heart fluttering. Eun Ho who rejected Manager Song prettily and Manager Song who was rejected in a pretty way are lovely too. I like it. The last part where Eun Ho cried pierced my heart.

5. [+380,-14]
Lee Jong Suk is so heart fluttering and affectionate. He does everything. 

6. [+147,-2]
At first, I thought that this drama isn't realistic with its set-ups. But Lee Jong Suk's acting convinced me, and I'm not sure when, but I began cheering for EunDan like a crazy person. This is the reason to why Cha Eun Ho has to be Lee Jong Suk. 

7. [+142,-9]
I'm amazed at Lee Na Young's beauty every time. 

8. [+124,-2]
I like that this isn't a melodrama. And it's not a makjang.. I get heart flutters whenever I watch this. This drama makes me smile. 

bonus.png
Article: Naver 'Romance is a Bonus Book' Lee Jong Suk lies to Lee Na Young's question, "Do you like me?"  

1. [+629,-9]
Honey is dripping out of Lee Jong Suk. It's so heart fluttering. 

2. [+382,-15]
EunDan should appear together more often. What kind of romcom makes it so difficult to see the main couple together? 

3. [+247,-3]
Ha... Why is my heart fluttering? 

4. [+245,-12]
My heart hurts because of Lee Jong Suk.ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Why is he so heart fluttering? 

5. [+150,-3]
Cha Eun Ho is so cute and heart fluttering. Dan Yi is really cute too. 

6. [+89,-1]
I've never thought of myself as a Lee Jong Suk fan... but whenever this drama airs, the corners of my lips go up. Thinking of it, it seems like I've been following all of Lee Jong Suk's dramas... Guess I'll have to be his fan now. 

7. [+66,-1]
Nothing really interesting is happening... but it's interesting. I don't really look for this drama, but once I begin watching, I'll watch it till the end. Every character is interesting too. 

8. [+56,-1]
My heart broke today. The line where she described Eun Ho as a book was cool~~ Kang Dan Yi's heart is going towards Eun Ho now!!!

cr

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, AlexandraReid said:

Eun Ho who rejected Manager Song prettily and Manager Song who was rejected in a pretty way are lovely too. I like it.

I like it too. And both do it professionally and not display their emotions.

Though deep down, it hurts her a lot.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

a person is like a book. 

This is something new that i did not think about it before.

As always, thank you for your thought and analysis. @bebebisous33

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

JH needs to learn how to live on her own, become independent. Imagine, JH gets married... this girl would end up just like DY.

Yup. She is childish and act like a child.

I think if she get a bad husband like ex dy, than she will have a problem.

But what if she got a good one like cha eun ho, than what will happen to her? Good life?

14 hours ago, Auntie Mame said:

Surely, tying up someone with a rope isn't the way to treat dementia

Is it mention before? Thank you.

• Like 3