[Drama 2019] Trap 트랩

larus

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hunter Sung Hyuk who always worked in the dark!

Kang Woo-Hyun (Lee Seo Jin)'s Lie Collection

I was caught in a dense hunt.

OCN finalization at 10:20 PM KST this Saturday.

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019] Trap 트랩 - Finale episode on SUNDAY @ 22:20 KST

Ha ha... After a crazy week at work, now that it is the week-end, I have been avoiding this thread in order not to be spoiled but only to discover the finale is tonight..... Damn, the waiting is killing me!

On 2/27/2019 at 12:21 PM, jcbel said:

Spur of the moment rage doesn't sit with the profile of a person who doesn't have strong emotional reactions and has to observe people to mimic strong feelings.   I'm not saying he didn't strangle her - just that I don't believe it was a spur of the moment emotional decision.  I think he had been planning it for a while.

Did not mean to take so long to answer you but work was crazy this week.

Actually, impusilvity is the one trait that unites all psychopaths. Thus, it is not surprising he was. I do think it was implusive, but that he had already thought of using the hunting grounds to his advantage. In a sense, perhaps this impulsive act was the trigger for starting a plan he had considered for a while, that is being recognized by the organization, etc.

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] Trap 트랩

I watched the raw episode well, some of it. The evil persons stayed evil till the end, while the handful of good guys banded together to save the day.

It's almost weird to say this but it's a generally happy ending with a slight sinister hint? *I'm not sure, but that's how it felt to me. :)

2 hours ago, feignedreality said:

It's almost weird to say this but it's a generally happy ending with a slight sinister hint? *I'm not sure, but that's how it felt to me. :)

I watched the last five minutes or so (just to be prepared) but, of course, I couldn't understand a word and I thought that the scenes I saw were very odd.  I couldn't tell what to make of it.  At least our detective seems to have survived. 

No one else on the thread seems to have said so and I've just got to:  Sung Dong Il is an incredibly handsome older guy.  I think it's really rare for a man to become more attractive with age than he is in his youth, and Sung Dong Il has done just that.  All men should age so beautifully! 

11 minutes ago, thistle said:

I watched the last five minutes or so (just to be prepared) but, of course, I couldn't understand a word and I thought that the scenes I saw were very odd.  I couldn't tell what to make of it.  At least our detective seems to have survived. 

I know right, DK's expression at the end confused me. I thought I heard the word twin but I have really bad hearing so...but yeah, I'm really glad him and his family, along with the small unit of good guys in the series survived. 

What I feel like doing after finishing Trap (with subs):

Smash table, throw a vase and flips table p8Q8A2.gif

Overall review: It was a confusing, dark and very bloody drama that I find difficult to comprehend. It had too many twists. In the end, I'm not even sure what WooHyun wants. Hua3

I watched bits of the subs and ep.7 and like what @katakwasabi said I am also very confused. Putting the last bit in spoiler section as my own thoughts

Spoiler

I think WooHyun actually wanted his wife to be in affair with the guy so he can gain insight to how the director thinks and the exact background they had. He killed her in the end because she provoked him(?) and basically made her worthless to him. 

In the very very end, where the detective and WooHyun were going against each other, both survived and I am not sure how in the end the message was ( is it a hint that we might see sequel? WooHyun wanted revenge for what the detective did to him ( injected him with the poison i guess) 

Watched the last ep made everything even more confused for me as well. But the profile did have a twin sister hence what we see in the very end. 

We will get a director cut next Sunday so maybe we will see a different ending? 

It was so much better than I thought and the ending leaves open the possibility of another series.

I love complex  plots with lots of grey areas. 

Making him a terrible killer and an anti-hero all at the same time. 

Killing is just a thing that he does and he has no feelings about it.  There is no such thing as innocent - people are just means to an end.

And yet he does have a way to calculate and in his choices he does save people

The killing and getting into politics and using his wife are to take down an evil Japanese cabal that is trying to turn Korea into a place to create "dogs" and they are the masters. 

And he wants to be one of the masters to destroy the masters.

But the only way to become a part of them is to be as ruthless as they are.

His methods are bone-chilling and he's working against a giant machine - he just has no compunction about being as calous as they are.  So it's a mind bending - does the end justify the means?

He protects the detectives family and kills the "useless" killer dog of the cabal.

The cabal puts the bomb in the detective's car and the profiler is put in the hospital.  He leaves her alone until she becomes a problem and then justifies his killing her by keeping her from futher pain - no one will take her as she is now.was just a scenario.

I hope they do do another series.

This just kept getting better and better and the last episode still left lots of questions about what is true and what is someone elses idea about what happened.

And so subs are out and uhm..I didn't mishear the word twin. :)

This final episode reminded me of my initial post here stating that psychos are out there even or perhaps more so in the government. Imagine having a hopeful politician like WooHyun in your country thinking 'why be content with controlling and making one person suffer at a time, when you can do that to an entire community or even a whole nation?' It's a scary thought, but what's scarier is that it really is happening.

3 hours ago, jcbel said:

It was so much better than I thought and the ending leaves open the possibility of another series.

I love complex  plots with lots of grey areas. 

Making him a terrible killer and an anti-hero all at the same time. 

Killing is just a thing that he does and he has no feelings about it.  There is no such thing as innocent - people are just means to an end.

And yet he does have a way to calculate and in his choices he does save people

The killing and getting into politics and using his wife are to take down an evil Japanese cabal that is trying to turn Korea into a place to create "dogs" and they are the masters. 

And he wants to be one of the masters to destroy the masters.

But the only way to become a part of them is to be as ruthless as they are.

His methods are bone-chilling and he's working against a giant machine - he just has no compunction about being as calous as they are.  So it's a mind bending - does the end justify the means?

He protects the detectives family and kills the "useless" killer dog of the cabal.

The cabal puts the bomb in the detective's car and the profiler is put in the hospital.  He leaves her alone until she becomes a problem and then justifies his killing her by keeping her from futher pain - no one will take her as she is now.was just a scenario.

I hope they do do another series.

This just kept getting better and better and the last episode still left lots of questions about what is true and what is someone elses idea about what happened.

Ooo. This is an interesting take on the drama. Thank you. It makes me understand the drama a bit more.

Trap ended with good ratings

OCN’s Trap – 4.0% Nielsen Korea (record-high) (finale)

“Trap” Responds To Curiosity About Potential 2nd Season

by L. Kim
2f1387d13edb4677b5096ab0578ddcb8.jpeg?s=

A source from OCN’s “Trap” has expressed the producers’ position on an open ending that seems to imply an upcoming second season.

On March 4, a source from OCN shared, “There are no plans for a second season yet. Thank you for your interest.”

Spoiler

Kang Woo Hyun (Lee Seo Jin), who was horribly changed by drugs injected by Go Dong Guk (Sung Dong Il) in the final episode, vowed to take revenge while hiding his record. The drama ended with Go Dong Guk hinting at an unfinished war between them.

In particular, a new case began with the appearance of Im Hwa Young‘s twin sister. This is the main reason why viewers wondered if the drama was hinting at a second season. However, it was confirmed that there are no plans yet.

“Trap” drew attention as the first drama in OCN’s “Dramatic Cinema” project, in which the network collaborates with a film production team. The drama attracted viewers’ attention by directing every episode like a movie and garnered its highest ratings of 4.0 percent (based on Nielson Korea) in the final episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1307632wpp/trap-responds-to-curiosity-about-potential-2nd-season

Finally managed to watch the last episode and I liked it wuite a lot. I thought it finished nicely, though not too optimistic either, on a dark and ambivalent note.

@jcbel - Perhaps I would not be so kind to Kang Woo Huyn. Though he does want to get rid of that family which had sold out to the Japanese for a while now, he stil wanted to shift the power to him. It's just reorganization, redistribution, and repetition. It was not a surprise he went against the organisation, and I quite liked how that was done: in another hunt and somehow they all got caught in their own game, their own trap. Even Kang Woo Huyn's fate at the end is a trap he is caught in (no surprise that virus is called trap too). Quite clever actually.

I was happy to see Secretary Kim again and to see she had struggled to survive and remember till then. I guess perhaps that is what differentiate the 'evil' ones and the 'good' ones? Feelings and memories? It is those that make you move forward and survive.

One thing I did not like: the twin appearing at the end... That was just so random and did not bring much to the story really. So perhaps, yeah, hinting at a possible season 2?

ETA: Oh just saw the article above and no plans for season 2 - then I don't see why the helll they would introduce her at the end... I know to show that Detective Do attracts kind people he needs to protect but still...

I wasn't being "kind" to KWH - just musing on the story.  It's what I love about fiction - it can create a scenario that can be current.  In this story there are a depth of possibilities and the "twist" of the unusual plot of the actions of a psychopath having a possible positive outcome.  Can a selfish egomanial goal end up being for the common good?  One of the things posed was the question of whether a person in power who doesn't value an individual human life can save thousands of lives?   It's an ongoing conundrum that has been lived out for thousands of years.

In the 20th  century - it was the Hbomb - a truly evil act- that killed and maimed hundreds of thousands and left a century of harm to end a regime that intended to kill and enslave millions.   KWH has this ego and intellect in which he was able to manipulate a cabal set out to mentally and economically enslave South Korea.  His goal is to be the best politician ever - not to destroy and enslave -  but to save South Korea.  The "good" guys were losing - they were had no power because they couldn't kill and placed equal value on one individual over the All - that is the "good" guys blindspot. (I'm not saying it's true - just that seems to be KWH's belief - and part of the story).  

It's also -- are the "good" guys also "bad" guys?  They didn't bring KWH in for "justice".  They injected him with a disease that would slowly and painfully kill him (at least his creating of his "dogs" was to remove pain and memory - slightly more humane.)  There were no stories bringing the information they possessed into public view - because?  -  Does their pursuing KWH stop his being the politician that can save Korea actually give the cabal more power?   Can they stop the cabal? - they've know about it for a long time and not been able to do anything.  Very complex - because that's life - there is no such thing as a simple answer.

Although they said there are no plans for a Season 2 - doesn't mean there won't be one.   The upside to having only one season is that everyone gets to finish the story and rewrite it many times.  Doing a season 2 will draw criticism from those who have a different scenario and criticizing seems to get the most press - so it might be best to leave it as it is now -- -- a great thought provoking mystery thriller with some incredible acting from the leads and supporting cast with really good directing.

It gave LSJ a role that was interesting and challenging enough to return to Korean dramas.   I really enjoyed his performance and that that of Kim Kwang-yu in roles they don't normally get to play.   Although initially I wanted a 2nd season - I'm engaged in a push-pull desire at the moment.

Archived