[Drama 2019] Trap 트랩

larus

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

How is it possible for Seo-Jin's character to still be able to run, walk with a wounded right leg!?

I did wonder and thought about that... I knew he was injured but it's like he wasn't no traces of blood ad alll and he was able to run. But I'll shrug that.. the over all drama is good.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 11, 2019

OCN thriller 'Trap' off to good start 

optimize

OCN's TV series "Trap" has grabbed viewers' attention. Courtesy of OCN

By Dong Sun-hwa The Korea Times

Movie channel OCN's new seven-episode thriller "Trap" is off to a good start with its second episode scoring 3.6 percent viewership, according to Nielsen Korea, Monday. The show beat all other programs aired in the same time slot thanks to its exciting storyline. 

The series, starring A-list actor Lee Seo-jin, revolves around a prominent TV news anchorman who falls into an enigmatic trap.

"I have trust in director Lee Jae-kyu and wanted to do what I am doing," said Lee explaining in a press release why he took the role. "The drama will display unexpected twists that some viewers might find shocking." 

Lee teamed with the director in the MBC TV series "Damo" in 2003 and in the film "Intimate Strangers" in 2018.

"Trap" is the first part of OCN's "Dramatic Cinema Project" that aims to combine the format of movie and drama.

It airs every Saturday and Sunday at 10:20 p.m. (KST). 

sunhwadong@koreatimes.co.kr 

Done with episode 2.The profiler was sharp.  I did not thought of it. That it could be CEO and the wife who's  got something going on.  The det. who died wrote his suspiscion and  kang's secretary was veru suspicious with all her actions and finally she was caught off guard by  Dong Guk. That was good interrogation scene It was him talking..till the very end of that scene.  I like that scene. But I think I am right with my episode 1 thought. I said CEO must be the one behind the hunting. But the mystery of what happened to Woo Hyun is still a mystery. But this we know,  Dong Guk knows him from before, probably military.. cos Woo Hyun was former one.

I'm still in the dark as to the reason. Mybe I'm not understand.  Though profiler said  asked the question why the hunter with so many food still hunts. Because it's not good enouugh.

I like that it's fast pace and it's only 7 episodes thi way no unnecessary scenes to prolong. Thriller like this one needs to engage viewers and keep them on the edge. It's good one from OCN.

19 hours ago, partyon said:

It seems you may have been looking for a new thriller after "Children of Nobody" ended too?

I am a fan of the genre so I always look for interesting new dramas to watch. :) Let`s hope this drama will be as good experience.

9 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

How is it possible for Seo-Jin's character to still be able to run, walk with a wounded right leg!? Plus don't forget he was whacked HARD on the head multiple times and yet he was still able to focus, think with clarity ha-ha. K-Drama logic indeed. Oh turned out he's an ex-military guy

They showed him limping in many scenes, they make him an ex military man and it is the adrenaline as well. I am pleased with the explanation. It is more than other dramas/ movies gives us. 

I am also glad that Ko Dong Kook and Yoon Seo Young (the cop and the profiler) have some clues about the investigation. Hong Won-Tae is more than a two faced man, he is INSANE. They killed an innocent boy.:tears: I am for the justice to prevail and for justice to take its course but this time I want Kang Woo-Hyun to go Rambo on the crazy people.

Finished watching ep 1 and 2.

And i'm officially trapped! 

I like it. Its like watching a super long, dramatic episode of Criminal Minds. Hehe

It is so mysterious. And i like that they made WooHyun an ex military, so he could actually fight and try to survive in this situation since he is practically trained for it. 

The profiler cop duo looks promising. Its sad that Det. Bae had to die so early, he could have tagged along with his sharp sense. 

The story is fast paced and the interogation session was on fire. He asked direct questions and said some speculations, but had some proof too. The infrared cameras was a brilliant idea. I didnt expect his encounter with the dementia lady will lead him to discover the infrared cameras. Good job writernim. As of now, all interactions is loaded with meaning or reason.

why this family? Could it be true that there was something going on between Hong and the wife, or WooHyun and his secretary. But they both look happy together while remembering their past dates~ and then his son is not his son? So whose son is he? And what did WooHyun say to the hunter before he was released.

Ep 2 ending was devastating. The poor boy. I hope Woohyun's wife is found alive. Huhu

@katakwasabi Great to see you picked up this drama too - welcome to the thread! :)

So I just finished watching ep 2 and the mystery deepens....

Some thoughts and questions:

• It's nice to see that the drama is promoting smart female experts (forensic pathologist, profiler). I like the profiler, but she needs to learn how to work on the field. Taking out the burner phone in the elevator was stupid. Also, why are they talking so openly about the case in the garage? Do they not understand someone could overhear them?
  • What is the connection between Kang Woo Hyun and Ko Dong Kook? The detective is older than Woo Hyun, so it is unlikely it's from the military? Was there a case they both were involved in? It was insinuated that Dong Kook had had some kind of a relapse or a breakdown before. Is that connected to it somehow?
  • Si Woo isn't Woo Hyun's child. Why did they blur out the answer Woo Hyun gave why he chose to save Si Woo first? I actually think Si Woo might be adopted - he might not even be Woo Hyun's wife's child. Poor Si Woo in any case.... :(
  • Did you guys notice that there was a snake on the CEO's desk? Red herring or is he really the leader of the hunting ring? For some reason I feel like Woo Hyun's secretary and the CEO are not fully on the same team (even though she is working for him). He was asking about her alibis. Maybe he wants to make her take the fall for something. And for sure, it was an interesting twist that Woo Hyun's wife and the CEO had burner phones.
  • One thing that I noticed is that Woo Hyun is putting up a good fight. I wasn't prepared, though, that he would be so cold blooded too. I know in a life and death situation, you would of course do what you have to do. To me it seems that he might have killed before (the military background doesn't explain it fully), or then there is more to his past than what we have learnt so far....

And a crazy theory:

Spoiler

I don't know why, but I can't shake this nagging feeling that there is more to this story - that maybe Woo Hyun's wife is involved in the setup or (gasp!) even Woo Hyun himself.  I just think it is a bit too much of a coincidence that the hunters were waiting for them on the mountain in the café where Woo Hyun and his wife went for their first date. The hunters also knew intimate things about Woo Hyun, which means that they were clearly waiting for Woo Hyun and his family.

On 2/10/2019 at 2:37 PM, partyon said:

It seems you may have been looking for a new thriller after "Children of Nobody" ended too?

And here I am as well.  :)

Watching episode 1 right now and was very much reminded of Children of Nobody.  Good pacing.  Tense story.  Looking forward to more episodes.

................and this has nothing to do with anything important but I just wanna say that it annoys the fire out of me when I see car windows shattering like house windows in KDramas.  So, yes, I was annoyed when the anchor guy bashed in the car window and it didn't break right--I always see this as a drama direction fail.  Car side windows have "safety glass" that is tempered so that it breaks into small pieces rather than large shards.    

If you wanna know more:

Spoiler

.........editing:  Maybe I am just being fussy but that fire at the beginning was wrong, too--there was no way the anchor guy could have run into a building that was so fully involved in burning.  But I was prepared to accept that mis-step until I saw another wrong thing:  anchor guy is slashed on the arm and stabbed in the leg but he goes out of the cafe without blood on him.  

Is this a mistake or something else?

By the way, I think the secretary is seriously shady.

............editing again because it turns out that it was a directing mistake.  Later scenes show that he has tape around his trousers, so there is at least a bandage of sorts.  This still does not explain the lack of blood but there we are.

@thistle Good to see you here as well! :) Thanks for teaching us about how a car window is supposed to break. Did you manage to watch ep 2 yet?

If anyone is interested, here are translated reactions about the first two episodes of Trap:

https://ddoboja.blogspot.com/2019/02/spoilersocn-trap-roundup-episode-1-2.html

4 hours ago, partyon said:

@thistle Good to see you here as well! :) Thanks for teaching us about how a car window is supposed to break. Did you manage to watch ep 2 yet?

If anyone is interested, here are translated reactions about the first two episodes of Trap:

https://ddoboja.blogspot.com/2019/02/spoilersocn-trap-roundup-episode-1-2.html

I did.  Trap is really, really good.  Very suspenseful.  (Yes, I watched some of it with the sound off because I got really tense.  :blink: )  And I'm thinking about who is conspiring with whom.  There's lots to think about.

Sorry if I got too picky about the car window breakage; it's just one of those things that I really notice.  In a great show like Trap, it bothers me to see silly errors.

One other thing really worried me in episode 2 but it's a Real Life thing and nothing to do with the drama:

Spoiler

Sung Dong Il's breathing--it was especially noticeable when he was in the interrogation room.  He is displaying signs of ill health that seem to indicate serious smoking related issues.  He was making a very audible sort of bubbling sound while breathing--exactly like my grandmother who was a lifelong smoker; it killed her.  I really hope he is okay.  He's a handsome man and a great actor.  He's got young kids.  He needs to be well so he can stay around for a long time.

Trap: Episode 1

by Regals

Trap01-00492.jpg

Something strange is afoot in OCN’s Trap. We head into the mountains to figure out just what exactly happened to a famous news anchor and his family on their vacation.

EPISODE 1: “Hunters”

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/02/trap-episode-1/

Trap: Episode 2

by Regals

Trap02-00924.jpg

What really happened to our news anchor and his family in the mountains? The detectives try to piece together all the details they can find about the parties with connections to the case as lives hang in the balance. But the clock may be running out…

EPISODE 2: “Two Faces”

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/02/trap-episode-2/

12 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

Am i hearing this correctly? Is the song really about pikachu in this clip by OCN :joy:

Yes, it is about pikachu. :lol: Somebody at OCN messed up the sound. The video was dramatic with people dying,  bleeding and suffering and the music was happy and funny. I had a good laugh.

I am about to watch the third episode.

3 minutes ago, larus said:

Yes, it is about pikachu. :lol: Somebody at OCN messed up the sound. The video was dramatic with people dying,  bleeding and suffering and the music was happy and funny. I had a good laugh.

OCN does this a lot. They did the same with LoM, The Guest and other dramas. I like their IG and youtube because its filled with random edited clips. Haha

Here is another one

On 2/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, katakwasabi said:

OCN does this a lot. They did the same with LoM, The Guest and other dramas. I like their IG and youtube because its filled with random edited clips. Haha

So, it was not a mistake but it was intentional?!  :o

About the ep 3 &4.

OMG, what they did to Shi-Woo was atrocious. I don`t have words to express the disgust I have for those people. Monsters. They got thrill when they hunt people? Phychopath  Hong Won-Tae was crawling in front of "Young Master", another monster. It was perplexing.  Is that man the one who killed Ko Dong-Kook without showing any remorse years ago? I think he is. And seeing that old man as a higher up in the police office almost made me puke (even knowing already that he has connections when he said that he will resolve their problem). 

I am intrigued by Kang Woo-Hyun. Like Ko Dong-Kook, I wonder what he is not telling? What he knows about Hong and why that man wanted him dead along with his family? Why did they choose him? Woo Hyun and his secretary know something that we don`t know yet. 

14 hours ago, larus said:

I got through most of episode 3 but stressed out before the last ten minutes or so.  Had to shut it off because I was getting sad and mad.  And that just means that this is a really good show with great storytelling--I know because it's getting to me like that.  Gonna watch the rest soon.

Annyong! :)I am totally hooked. I was also watching "Children of Nobody" so it's been nice to find a good substitute.

Oh man, episode 4 was... intense! We discovered quite a lot actually...

- The secretary is actually a reporter who has been working with Kang Woo Hyun to expose those people. They knew quite a lot too.

- Kang Woo Hyun and Ko Dong Kook are connected through the death of their sons; seems like it is the same people who killed them, a fact that Kang Woo Hyun was quick to realize.

- The wife is definitely involved and playing the hunting game now... I expected it but it is still horrifying. The description of how the boy was killed really made my blood run cold. How on earth?... I guess this show really wants to show us how evil people can be, the normality of it. (Think Arendt's banality of evil) I liked their image of the 1mm too. That was fascinating in many ways.

- I find the emphasis on making weak people do horrible things quite interesting as well. I also was not surprised to discover that the chief has been telling them where Ko Dong Kook was all these years; I expected him to be more involved actually.

- I am assuming the profiler knows so much about serial killers/psychopath because her father or someone in her family was one?

13 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

The wife is definitely involved and playing the hunting game now

I thought it was really interesting how the hunters were grilling the anchor guy (sorry,I still haven't got names sorted on characters) about why he tried to rescue the boy rather than his wife.  It was at that moment that I knew that she must be alive and playing for the other side. 

How could anyone arrange for a child to be killed?  Especially a child from one's own family (adopted or not).  

The bad guys on this show are the absolute depth of evil.  Very chilling.  

Adoption is actually quite a sensitive issue in Korea. It is usually something that you hide (adopted kids are often bullied in school), like they did in the drama. Also, Koreans believe that blood is the most important thing connecting people; hence adopting a child is complicated in terms of social stigma and finding one's place in the family.

I had a friend who was past 40 and could not have kids anymore. I asked her whether she would consider adopting and her answer was: I cannot do that to my husband and his family. It was better not to have kid than adopt one.

The younger generations are changing though.

All this to say that the wife's detachment is actually very cleaverly linked to social issues as well as her narcissism/craziness. 

Archived