[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

3 hours ago, booha said:

((another supporting cast.))

Byeon teacher (60s)(Kim Myeong Su) Head of the imperial anti-faction

Hide contents

Byeon Baek Ho.  A benefactor who saved WS’s life.
He is a former presidential guard, now living in the countryside in seclusion.
Seven years ago, he gave up and left as the guard leader, and after that he seems to cut himself off from the outside of world,
but, in fact, he is the head of the eagle, which is the imperial anti-faction.
As he rescues WS, he helps WS to get revenge and works together to topple the imperial family.

czqAQGR.jpg

JNR pointed out (in radio interview)  there were 3 things  with emperor’s chair: keeping the chair, stealing it, and toppling it.  About ‘toppling it’ there is the so called ‘the imperial anti-faction’.  Its leader is Byeon Baek Ho who saves NWS.
TLE is a suspense thriller so there will be many mysteries hidden underneath.  It’s possible to think that something happened 7 years ago could be about someone trying to steal the emperor’s chair? And somehow the first empress was caught and killed which made LH feel guilty/remorseful??

Sorry to cut your post and thanks for sharing the new info about another important character to the story. Good to know WS would have some solid back -up. The existence of imperial anti-faction also explains the fact how the attempt on LH's life was so well organised (I was actually surprised about that).

And about the first wife of LH... After the first episodes it also got me thinking what may be the story behind her death (?). Could it be that the mummy which was found in the Imperial garden is actually hers. Considering the neckless... The one Sunni was wearing could be fake.  And since it's an important token of the royal inheritance, the absence of such an important thing could rise as lot of questions thus if the original one was buried along with the Queen Soheon (in case she was killed) another one could have been made to replace the original. But that is ofc all spiculations on my part since we do not know (or do we?) what actually happened to LH's first wife.

Btw LH's raw fear when he was talking about what the missing guard made him to do makes me wonder the real origins of his rotten self. Maybe this series of manipulations of LH by those around him started with that past accident. It's quite apparent that Empress Dowager knows a lot more than she lets on (thus she killed the guard's brother who claimed to have evidence). And i woudn't be surprised if LH's first marriage was for love and his first wife had some good influence on his character which caused problems for Empress Dowager who has this pathological need to be in control. Thus she could set up some accident to make LH paranoid about his wife's loyalty and accidentally kill her or something like that. It would make Emperor's character somewhat pitiable, at least that what I see him as for now. For now he is a puppet in the heands of his mother and now YR's as well. He surely is a monster of his own kind but is he the real evil of them all? and who/what made him this way, I'm very curious about that. 

p.s. I second your guess about Dong Sik being the child born from the physical assault ( I was thinking the same thing). It would explain YR's seeming disregard of the baby and her overall obsession with power. Indeed she looks like the woman badly scorned in the past.

p.p.s. Guys, is there someone who knows korean and can translate the relationship chart from the 1st page, please?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Um, I think he asked Ma Pil Joo to get rid of MYR, not his mom... unless there was another occasion that I missed...:huh:

hahaha lor

i even got that wrong

i must have misread the info wrong earlier

anyway about empress dowager's obsession with lee hyuk

it makes me think, why him?

why she only adores him, rather obsessively

she has other children and according to the character description it was lee hyun,

her third child that got the late emperor affection and was supposed to be the next king in line

but her obsession seems to be on lee hyuk only

is there a secret about leehyuk that makes her so obsessed with him

what if lee hyuk is not the son of the emperor?

something about birth secret of lee hyuk?

gawd my mind is going all makjang these days

hahaha

3 hours ago, juju84 said:

But it kills me to think that before that happens WS would have to experience another betrayal from the woman he once loved and whom he still trust. I only hope Yoo Ra won't be able to do much damage to him before he realizes what a snake she is.

my heart aches for him too and the suffering he will be facing later...

not just him though, sunny too

correct me if i'm wrong but i think that nam wang shik still doesn't know min yura was involved with his killing

for him it was all the emperor's doing

so his decision to come to the palace not only to exact revenge but also to save the woman he loves

to get her or to protect her from the evil palace

so there will be three betrayals he will get from her

first, her being with the emperor as a lover

second, her involvement and hiding the murder of his mom

and third, she tried to get rid of him as well

wow...

when you get betrayals like that, you need someone like sunny to heal your wound and to make you human again

:D

myr for me at this moment still doesnt have any redeemable quality (well it is only two eps and none of the villains have any redeemable quality at this point yet hahaha)

like other villain, i also believe that she will have some tragic past that causing her to be like this in the present

but that still doesnt justify the fact that she tries to kill the woman who graciously accepted her in to the family and practically raised her after her parents were gone for me

from the description it was said that she lost her parents in young age, or early age

so that must mean that wang shik's mom has been taking care of her since young

and myr repays her by smashing brick to her head?

that is just too damn cruel

one might argue that it was in the spur of the moment when she hits her

but after nws's mom is dead, not even once she showed any remorse or the feeling guilt for what she did

instead she is basking into sense of relief that her burdens are now gone for good

scary woman

4 hours ago, juju84 said:

Um, I don't see much of a problem in the fact that WS is Don Sik's guardian. With a Mom like YR he is as good as an orphan.  I mean, I can be wrong but it looks like WS is not his biological father. That part of YR's past is still a mistery but as far as i understood YR was pegnant (or already had a child) when WS's mom adopted her to their family and since WS had the intention to marry YR he gave the boy his surname or which is more plausible WS's Mom added YR's son to their family register because she considered them as family.

Personally I haven't noticed father-son relationship between them, they interact more like brothers to me. So what is the problem if Sunni becomes his Mom? The child should not pay for the sins of the parents.

And using that line of thinking, shouldn't be WS the one who seems strange rising the child of the woman who ruined his family and life.

As for the kiss on the lips which Empress Dowager gave her son... Well it can seem strange but it's actually not. I believe that at times she still perceives him as a child, unreasonable child whom she needs to control and guide. And a lot of mothers' kiss their babies (while they are small) on the lips  as a sign of  motherly affection. It's apparent that Empress Kang is a control freak and a bit out of her mind when it comes to LH. She forgets that he is a grown up man and treats him as her property.

She IS twisted but not in a sexual kind of way as you might think. 

((Na Dong Sik(7) WS’s brother))
He’s like gum sticking to WS. He follows WS everywhere he goes.
To WS, he’s more like his child than a brother.
After the mother died in a sudden accident, and WS goes in the palace, he is raised by Byeon.

Yeah  It seems the appearance of Sunny (with her comical and bubbling act) gave a break from so many heavy scenes in ep1-4.   I have this dreadful feeling that when  Sunny enters the palace she will be a helpless pawn in between Dowager and MYR.  
Btw well it seems for our writer, louder criticism is better for the ratings. It’s because many viewers realized no matter how much they were irritated by the drama they just couldn’t walk away from it.   However I hope those hanky-panky scenes by MYR and LH will be just a setting for the introduction of these two, so from now on they will be put behind the screen and not in our faces.   

(Na Wang Sik: Na is the sur name/last name and Sik is the middle name. So you two were talking about ‘the middle name’?? Also I don’t think WS’s mom legally adopted MYR (Min is her last name). The mom just took her in but the mom adopted DS as her son legally)
WS and DS have the same middle name because they are supposed to be siblings.  It’s pretty common in K that  parents give their children the same middle name to show they are related. If I’m not mistaken,  daughters(sisters) and sons(brothers)  are given a different middle name for each side. Maybe because girl’s name is different from boys. Or in a patriarchal society  men don’t mix with women?

I like how you interpreted about Dowager’s kissing on LH.  At first I was a bit shocked by the scene since it was on kdrama.  Besides the scene went by so fast that I wasn’t sure Dowager actually did or not.    Yeah in ep1-4, there are so many no-nos. Maybe TLE decided to grab any headlines, good and bad, by packing up with villains and unsavory stuff and shocking us with an appearance of THH’s NWS at the beginning  in order to fence off from other serious competition.  
Btw I noticed how LH trembled before shaving. At first I thought LH was afraid of Dowager.  But now I wonder if something happened to LH before (like a kidnapping) and someone threatened him with a razor.  So now LH couldn’t shave by himself and Dowager has to do it for him.   Also Dowager has cctv on LH to watch over him (to spy or protect him or both??)  We saw Dowager wasn’t afraid to walk into the gun fighting scene for LH.    So something happened 7 years ago that her obsession turned her into a morbid psychotic??  

In the char description, she is supposed to be very obsessive about her children especially with LH
 ((“She overcomes the strict palace life and married life  with obsession and ambition for her children.
Especially, the affection for Lee Hyuk is morbid."
"Seven years ago, after empress So Hyeon died, and the crown prince’s brother Lee Yun was gone,  her obsession got worse.”))

Spoiler

Empress Dowager  Kang ssi (Shin Eun Kyung)  ED Kang ssi(50s)   
ED of Korean Empire

An affectionate, but strict mother to Lee Hyuk. To Sunny, she is a ferocious mother-in-law.
A queen bee who is not afraid of the world enough to be called "a sword woman" in the palace!

She is the daughter of a prominent chaebol in Korean Empire, and she holds the real power for the imperial family.

She overcomes the strict palace life and married life  with obsession and ambition for her children.
Especially, the affection for Lee Hyuk is morbid.
Seven years ago, after empress So Hyeon died, and the crown prince’s brother Lee Yun was gone,  her obsession got worse.  

In order to separate MYR from LH, thinking Sunny would be easy to control, she presses for the empress’s place for Sunny.  She thinks it is best to have a scarecrow empress since Lee Hyuk never seems to love Sunny.     
After the death of the grand empress dowager, she grabs the ultimate power of imperial family authority.  
And gradually she begins to reveal her ambitions and desires that have been concealed.
She is a misfortunate woman who has become a monster while being trapped in the palace a lifetime.

^

ah... so it all boils down to what happened 7 years ago

the death the fact that empress dowager kang is obsessive on all of her children,

just that her obsession with lee hyuk is the most obvious one

added more with the need to protect him, causing her to be more radical in what she is doing

i understand that now

so most probably her reluctant on myr is not merely because of jealousy

but more because she recognise the greed in myr and also the fact that she cannot control myr

and she felt there is need to protect lee hyuk from myr before the emperor's life is destroyed

wonder if the former empress demise was also because she was being a threat to lee hyuk

maybe he was betrayed by that, he loves her and yet she has hidden agenda...

or maybe that kang ju seong dude was more than just a simple collateral damage

there's so many ways this drama could go

i wonder what route will be taken by our dear writer

it is interesting to find out and to speculate

1 hour ago, booha said:

((Na Dong Sik(7) WS’s brother))
He’s like gum sticking to WS. He follows WS everywhere he goes.
To WS, he’s more like his child than a brother.
After the mother died in a sudden accident, and WS goes in the palace, he is raised by Byeon.

Yeah  It seems the appearance of Sunny (with her comical and bubbling act) gave a break from so many heavy scenes in ep1-4.   I have this dreadful feeling that when  Sunny enters the palace she will be a helpless pawn in between Dowager and MYR.  
Btw well it seems for our writer, louder criticism is better for the ratings. It’s because many viewers realized no matter how much they were irritated by the drama they just couldn’t walk away from it.   However I hope those hanky-panky scenes by MYR and LH will be just a setting for the introduction of these two, so from now on they will be put behind the screen and not in our faces.   

(Na Wang Sik: Na is the sur name/last name and Sik is the middle name. So you two were talking about ‘the middle name’?? Also I don’t think WS’s mom legally adopted MYR (Min is her last name). The mom just took her in but the mom adopted DS as her son legally)
WS and DS have the same middle name because they are supposed to be siblings.  It’s pretty common in K that  parents give their children the same middle name to show they are related. If I’m not mistaken,  daughters(sisters) and sons(brothers)  are given a different middle name for each side. Maybe because girl’s name is different from boys. Or in a patriarchal society  men don’t mix with women?

I like how you interpreted about Dowager’s kissing on LH.  At first I was a bit shocked by the scene since it was on kdrama.  Besides the scene went by so fast that I wasn’t sure Dowager actually did or not.    Yeah in ep1-4, there are so many no-nos. Maybe TLE decided to grab any headlines, good and bad, by packing up with villains and unsavory stuff and shocking us with an appearance of THH’s NWS at the beginning  in order to fence off from other serious competition.  
Btw I noticed how LH trembled before shaving. At first I thought LH was afraid of Dowager.  But now I wonder if something happened to LH before (like a kidnapping) and someone threatened him with a razor.  So now LH couldn’t shave by himself and Dowager has to do it for him.   Also Dowager has cctv on LH to watch over him (to spy or protect him or both??)  We saw Dowager wasn’t afraid to walk into the gun fighting scene for LH.    So something happened 7 years ago that her obsession turned her into a morbid psychotic??  

In the char description, she is supposed to be very obsessive about her children especially with LH
 ((“She overcomes the strict palace life and married life  with obsession and ambition for her children.
Especially, the affection for Lee Hyuk is morbid."
"Seven years ago, after empress So Hyeon died, and the crown prince’s brother Lee Yun was gone,  her obsession got worse.”))

Hide contents

Empress Dowager  Kang ssi (Shin Eun Kyung)  ED Kang ssi(50s)   
ED of Korean Empire

An affectionate, but strict mother to Lee Hyuk. To Sunny, she is a ferocious mother-in-law.
A queen bee who is not afraid of the world enough to be called "a sword woman" in the palace!

She is the daughter of a prominent chaebol in Korean Empire, and she holds the real power for the imperial family.

She overcomes the strict palace life and married life  with obsession and ambition for her children.
Especially, the affection for Lee Hyuk is morbid.
Seven years ago, after empress So Hyeon died, and the crown prince’s brother Lee Yun was gone,  her obsession got worse.  

In order to separate MYR from LH, thinking Sunny would be easy to control, she presses for the empress’s place for Sunny.  She thinks it is best to have a scarecrow empress since Lee Hyuk never seems to love Sunny.     
After the death of the grand empress dowager, she grabs the ultimate power of imperial family authority.  
And gradually she begins to reveal her ambitions and desires that have been concealed.
She is a misfortunate woman who has become a monster while being trapped in the palace a lifetime.

I like your take on the shaving scene especially considering Empress Dowager obsession with her eldest son and possible kidnapping attempt as a reason behind it.

But I actually interpreted this scene a bit differently. So I will share my take on it) 

Remember the attack during the dinner party? LH wasn't all that afraid in my opinion. Even though he was also threatened with a sharp object he still had enough presence of mind to play a selfless act before the audience.

For me that shaving scene was dripping with in the intimidation.  It's a power play. A veiled reminder. The hand that holds his live can be gentle or deadly. Here LH's mother clearly demonstrated her twisted sense of love toward her son. It's a motherly affection shown in aiding her son in such a simple tact so as he is still small child but at the same time Empress yet again reminded that she is the one having the upper hand and he won't be able to shake this suffocating hold all that easy.  I think LH is afraid of her (remember his panic when YR hinted he would get into trouble if mother finds out about the car accident).

Empress Dowager can be loving mother if her son is good but cruel if is he dares to cross her. Mother knows best that is her credo.

That is also what I meant while saying LH was actually quite pitiful. He is manipulated and played by his mother and now by YR (the first person he trully believed in awhile). He is poisoned and tied up  by this obsessive kind of love.

I actually kind of think he had some chance at saving the remnants of his heart and sanity if he met Sunni a little sooner. She is like a breeze of fresh air in this suffocating Palace. But alas, LH is unable to love anyone at least not in a destructive egotistic kind of way. He just doesn't know how to. Thus even if he falls for Sunni sincerely (which I really hope would be the case. I'm all for more angst. lol), he would only know how to hurt her and ruin that little chance he gets. 

Cause the only kind of love he knew comes down to overpowering, enslaving and terrorizing.

That is what I love this drama for, its complex and heavily layered characters.

1 hour ago, chubby^green^ said:

myr for me at this moment still doesnt have any redeemable quality (well it is only two eps and none of the villains have any redeemable quality at this point yet hahaha)

like other villain, i also believe that she will have some tragic past that causing her to be like this in the present

but that still doesnt justify the fact that she tries to kill the woman who graciously accepted her in to the family and practically raised her after her parents were gone for me

from the description it was said that she lost her parents in young age, or early age

so that must mean that wang shik's mom has been taking care of her since young

and myr repays her by smashing brick to her head?

that is just too damn cruel

one might argue that it was in the spur of the moment when she hits her

but after nws's mom is dead, not even once she showed any remorse or the feeling guilt for what she did

instead she is basking into sense of relief that her burdens are now gone for good

scary woman

You, are totally right, no matter the past hardships i can not justify YR's actions. She is downright selfish and loves no one but herself.  Actually she was ready to strangle WS's Mom there in the woods and i believe if she didn't saw her chance with the car accident she would have killed WS's mother with her own hands. In fact she did just that when she left her dying on the road.

But actually know that you've mentioned her background I remember reading YR was orphaned at a young age and was raised by WS's mother. So when and how did she bring the kid in ? And how she explained it? I wonder...

1 hour ago, booha said:

Yup, that's what i meant) I guess WS's Mom adopted the kid registering him under her name. So they are considered brothers with WS. Probabely since YR left the boy in her care and didn't want to know him.

SBS’s The Last Empresstook second place, and tvN’s upcoming drama “Encounter” took third place.

The top 10 are as follows:

1. JTBC “The Beauty Inside” (16.19 percent)
2. SBS “The Last Empress” (12.45 percent)
3. tvN “Encounter” (7.98 percent)

The male and female leads of “Encounter” Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo took first and third place, respectively, in the rankings for cast members who generate the most buzz. Seo Hyun Jin and Lee Min Ki, the leads for “The Beauty Inside,” took second and fourth place, respectively.

The top 10 are as follows:

1. tvN “Encounter” – Park Bo Gum
2. JTBC “The Beauty Inside” – Seo Hyun Jin
3. tvN “Encounter” – Song Hye Kyo
4. JTBC “The Beauty Inside” – Lee Min Ki
5. SBS “The Last Empress” – Jang Nara
6. JTBC “The Beauty Inside” – Lee Da Hee
7. tvN “The Smile Has Left Your Eyes” – Seo In Guk
8. SBS “The Last Empress” – Shin Sung Rok

Full article: 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1269447wpp/beauty-inside-tops-buzzworthy-dramas-list-3rd-consecutive-week

On 11/25/2018 at 4:41 PM, juju84 said:

I like your take on the shaving scene especially considering Empress Dowager obsession with her eldest son and possible kidnapping attempt as a reason behind it.

But I actually interpreted this scene a bit differently. So I will share my take on it) 

Remember the attack during the dinner party? LH wasn't all that afraid in my opinion. Even though he was also threatened with a sharp object he still had enough presence of mind to play a selfless act before the audience.

For me that shaving scene was dripping with in the intimidation.  It's a power play. A veiled reminder. The hand that holds his live can be gentle or deadly. Here LH's mother clearly demonstrated her twisted sense of love toward her son. It's a motherly affection shown in aiding her son in such a simple tact so as he is still small child but at the same time Empress yet again reminded that she is the one having the upper hand and he won't be able to shake this suffocating hold all that easy.  I think LH is afraid of her (remember his panic when YR hinted he would get into trouble if mother finds out about the car accident).

Empress Dowager can be loving mother if her son is good but cruel if is he dares to cross her. Mother knows best that is her credo.

That is also what I meant while saying LH was actually quite pitiful. He is manipulated and played by his mother and now by YR (the first person he trully believed in awhile). He is poisoned and tied up  by this obsessive kind of love.

I actually kind of think he had some chance at saving the remnants of his heart and sanity if he met Sunni a little sooner. She is like a breeze of fresh air in this suffocating Palace. But alas, LH is unable to love anyone at least not in a destructive egotistic kind of way. He just doesn't know how to. Thus even if he falls for Sunni sincerely (which I really hope would be the case. I'm all for more angst. lol), he would only know how to hurt her and ruin that little chance he gets. 

Cause the only kind of love he knew comes down to overpowering, enslaving and terrorizing.

That is what I love this drama for, its complex and heavily layered characters.

haha  Something about  ‘Mommy Dear’ makes it such a golden egg for any writer.   From your depiction about how LH and Dowager carry on each other is just that, Dowager mommy dear.    Now there is a psychological battle going on between LH and Dowager.  However LH is no match for his mom, though he is trying.    Dowager is a supreme manipulator.  But MYR shows she is as capable as hers too.  You are right.  Now LH is caught in between two vicious manipulators. haha  I had hoped LH would be a misunderstood emperor but not anymore.  Yeah I forgot about his many unsavory acts.  I have to say he is spoiled and callous and vindictive. He is contemptuous with Sunny ( just a commoner) yet because he needs her, he carries on with two-faced acts.  When he hit WS’s mom, he acted like something inconvenient happened. Then how he casually ordered his right hand man to clean out his mess including MYR.  

Well the writer is also well known for creating very memorable villain characters.  Like  Lee Yoo-ri as Yeon Min-jung in ‘Jang Bo-ri Is Here!’  Now we have MYR who has no qualms about going after WS’s  mom who took her in and adopted her child.    It means there will be no half-baked villain in TLE?? :sweatingbullets::tears:  

20 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Dear @booha - You are impressing me a lot! Just look at Choi Jin Hyuk! WHOAH!!!!! His hair looks a little weird but that's totally OK! Man, what a man..! :wub: He's the perfect choice for the bodyguard.

2 days more! :o

Finally I’m getting used to his new short hair.  He looks like a real bodyguard.   I hope he will tone down his rough punk attitude.   hehe  Please no more flipping a table.  If this drama is going to have a lot of heavy scenes, I want Sunny to lighten up a bit in that nasty palace.   Soon there will be palace intrigue with  Dowager &LH &MYR and LH &Sunny &CWB/NWS. doong doong   nloWzGM.gif

I think the writer is trying to take every character in the drama to their extreme. There are only extremely twisted villains, extremely righteous and good guys and cringingly clumsy-cute characters. Jang nara's character feels like she accidently fell into this thriller from some romantic comedy. I would have had second hand embarrassment for her even if she was in a rom com. We have had naive characters who gets caught up in sinister plots unknowingly, for example the pd's former project had geum Nara who was happy being an innocent homemaker and mother while a whole lot of bloody affairs were happening around her.

We have also had a lot of clumsy cute characters in drama even before and I really hope she could tone it down a little. I didn't saw anybody else in this thread having an issue with her acting so it could be a problem of my taste also.

51 minutes ago, akiera said:

I think the writer is trying to take every character in the drama to their extreme. There are only extremely twisted villains, extremely righteous and good guys and cringingly clumsy-cute characters. Jang nara's character feels like she accidently fell into this thriller from some romantic comedy. I would have had second hand embarrassment for her even if she was in a rom com. We have had naive characters who gets caught up in sinister plots unknowingly, for example the pd's former project had geum Nara who was happy being an innocent homemaker and mother while a whole lot of bloody affairs were happening around her.

We have also had a lot of clumsy cute characters in drama even before and I really hope she could tone it down a little. I didn't saw anybody else in this thread having an issue with her acting so it could be a problem of my taste also.

I remembered I heard or read it from somewhere, she wants something to test her versatility that's why she signed it. Jang Na Ra is good at anything. I grew up watching her. Even great reason to watch The Last Empress because she immersed in this dark drama. well aside from Shin Sung Rok and Ms. Shin. I think it's just you. hehe  

Archived