[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

For @PPB and @Fangsi 

Translation of the novelist’s alternate script. CP has a different fate.

35: Day. Inside a carriage in Shudi (olden name of Sichuan Basin) (exterior).

Pitch blackness.

A pair of eyes slowly opens.

The visuals gradually focus.

A carriage roof. A carriage window. They coalesce into the dim, narrow confines of a carriage.

The clacking of carriage wheels.

His fingers are the first to move.

Xiao Dingquan lifts himself up weakly, finding himself still alive.

His palms feel the walls of the carriage around him.

The outside of the carriage is wrapped completely and securely in white silk.

There is no light.

Beating the walls does not elicit any response.

He attempts to speak with his hoarse voice but is unable to produce any clear, distinct sound.

Xiao Dingquan: This is...where?

Xiao Dingquan: Stop the carriage. Stop.

His voice is too soft so there is still no response from outside.

He feels about within the carriage for something that he can use but there is none.

Finally, his trembling fingers move to the crown of his hairdo and pull out the crane hairpin.

The sharpened end of the pin is as keen as a dagger.

With the sharp end of the hairpin, he slashes through a layer of the cloth. Another layer. And the next.

In between the sounds of ripping cloth, the carriage has come to a stop without his being aware of it. As he slices through the last layer of cloth, sunlight floods through.

He instinctively holds up a hand to block his eyes.

The crisp cry of a crane reaches his ears.

His hand slowly lowers as realisation dawns on him.

Daylight. Azure sky. Clear river. Fishing boats.

The flowers flourishing all over the mountain.

His eyes take in the panorama of the mountains and rivers of Shu (Sichuan). (Same scene as 1-1).

(Flashback) Downing the cup of wine at Konghe.  (42-25) (End of flashback)

With sudden comprehension, he gets off the carriage, clutching the broken hairpin, and takes tentative steps forward.

Snowy-white early spring pear blossoms growing in profusion all over the branches sway in the wind.

36: Shu (day, exterior) to Bao Ben Palace (day, exterior).

Bao Ben Palace is filled with white funeral flags that flutter in the wind.

Dressed in mourning clothes, Xi Xiang enters: Cai Ren, the ceremony is about to start. We—should go.

Gu Sese gets up placidly and walks out of the chamber.

(Cut) Shu Di (Sichuan). As Xiao Dingquan strips off his prisoner attire, he slowly approaches the wide mountains and rivers laid out before him.

Gu Sese off-screen: The mountains and rivers are so broad, so free. They can only be seen and experienced firsthand.

(Cut) Bao Ben Palace. Gu Sese, now in mourning attire, proceeds slowly along a long corridor.

The two frames gradually combine so that they are drawing closer to each other as they move.

Gu Sese off-screen: After you’ve seen it, [even if] crushed once again, or plundered once again, the freedom in your memory can never be taken away.

(Cut) Xiao Dingquan spreads out both of his arms experimentally.

(Cut)The frame pauses the moment Gu Sese steps into Xiao Dingquan’s arms.

Gu Sese smiles and stretches out a hand as if to take the broken hairpin away from Xiao Dingquan.

The two frames become separate.

(Cut) With a loosening of his grip, the broken hairpin falls straight into the clear river.

(Cut) Gu Sese walks till she is outside of Bao Ben Palace before casting a backward glance.

(Cut) Shudi. A gentle breeze is billowing the robe and sleeves of Xiao Dingquan.

As the corners of his lips lift in a smile, he mumbles to himself: You too.

(Switch to panoramic view) A figure standing with widespread arms between heaven and earth.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

New BTS of our OTP. Some were for scenes cut from the drama. It is wonderful to see they had a lot of fun during filming.

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDg4Mjg5Nzk1Mg====.html

Caption: Rehearsal of famous scenes

LJ: Slowly lower it like this...See the face...wah...feeling of being stabbed (in the heart)...from heart to lungs...if the pains continues, it will be the kidneys.

—-

LJ: Slide from top to bottom.

Man: It’s all metal here. This position...

Y: Ouch!

Caption: Pain pain pain

Caption: Not as good as Luo Jin

Man off-screen: Still have to screw it.. this is like drilling...

Caption: Wrong end. Success.

—-

LJ: She won’t faint? She likely won’t. Right, then I cry “Shi Mei!” (how one addresses a female junior belonging to the same sect/under the same teacher/master) “Wenxi!” This is a bit strange.

Caption: Your Wenxi is offline...connecting in progress...connected

LJ: It doesn’t look good if I pull her like this, right? I will surely say, “ no!” then I come drag her hand then pull the whole person...then...

Caption: Dancing

Caption: Releasing high levels of sweetness inside and outside of the drama

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDg4MDg0MDY2OA====.html

LJ: You want to sit over here. Why? Because of your face? 

LJ: My hand [over here] is [supposed to be] injured.

Director laughs.

Director: Right, like that.

LJ: Eee, [Sitting like this] can work.

LJ: I say, (Saying his line) let’s have a chat. (Director: Have a chat).

LJ: I will pull this hand.

Director/Captain (saying Y’s line) What does Your Highness wish to chat about?

Director: (saying Y’s line) Chenqie feng pei (Means I will accompany you)

LJ: This time I switch approach. I don’t want to carry [her] princess style. I will [sit] like this like playing American football. Good, this answer I like. (Carries her over his shoulder)

(Laughter)

LJ: Like playing American football...Kaah and then I go over.

(Laughter)

Director: Alright.

Caption: Arranged

(Footage that was cut from the drama)

—-

Caption: Serious rehearsal

LJ: You don’t face her directly first, understand? Get dressed first.

Caption: Super control over details.

(LJ turns around and acts startled).

Caption: Whose household is this lady from?

(Laughs)

Director: OK.

Director: Help him dress from the back.

Director: [Turn around] and give her a look of distaste.

Caption: Killer move tender pat on the head

LJ (gesturing): Because the hair is already like this... (Caption: Distaste x1)

(Laughter)

Director: A look of distaste...OK.

LJ: You don’t have to send me off

Caption: Distaste x2

Director: I think this is quite good

LJ: You don’t have to send me off

Caption: Distaste x3

Director: This is quite good.

Caption: Distaste x4

Y: Why are you glaring at me?

Y: (laughs) Why so long?

LJ: No, let’s try it again. Because this [messy strand of hair]...didn’t appear

Caption: Handling it personally

Caption: Please...my hair is messy enough

Caption: Distaste x5

Director: OK.

Caption: Finally pass.

LJ off screen: I am too difficult. (Means my life is too difficult)

Off screen: Are you sure?

LJ: Don’t have too heavy an idol burden.

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDg4MTc5MjU4NA====.html

(Caption: Adorable No 1 Li Yitong)

Y: I will stab directly over here

(Caption: Analysing how to stab herself)

Y: Over here

LJ: You stab over here

Y: I stab over here

LJ: You stab over here? You sit properly, sit properly. You can’t stab yourself while squatting on the floor.

LJ: Move, Move forward

Y: Mainly I think it looks odd if I jump up and stand.

LJ: Right, ok ok, you fall over.

(Caption: Fall fall fall)

Y: I will fall.

LJ: Must you fall towards this direction?

(Laughter)

LJ: Towards that direction.

Y: That direction? Like this?

(Caption: Young swordsman has great skill)

LJ: Is this alright?

Y: The wound is over here.

Director: Striding across the chair looks a bit odd. Hold her like just now, [when she was] sliding down on the spot.

Y: On the spot...(in response to something inaudible) that’s correct.

Director: Then you can staunch her wound.

Y: Then the blood seeps out.

L: Then I staunch it like this. Aiyah aiyah...

(Laughter)

Captain: Drama king

LJ: All right, let’s go.

—-

Caption: Adorable Number 2 Luo Jin

NGx1

NGx2 Piu

NGx3

Shooting in progress.

Director: Cut. OK.

Caption: Complete with satisfaction

LJ: Director, director count this on me. Let’s do it again. Can I do it again? It’s too...The pace was too messy...I can’t stand it... 

Director/caption: After editing, it will be fine.

LJ: I know it will look ok after editing but I still feel....Come, let’s do it again.

Caption: One more time. Desire to do [his] best

—-

Caption: Adorable Number 3 Sixth Prince

Lady: A group of young fan girls are surrounding you.

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDg2MTQxNDI0NA====.html

Director: 3...2...1

Caption: Trying to get into the mood of the character

LJ: Let’s do another take.

LJ: I feel just now I haven’t been able to get into a comfortable state. After waking up this morning, for the first scene of the day, I’m still a bit blur. Let’s warm up first.

Director: I heard your tongue was frozen [by the cold weather].

Caption: Perfect take.

Y: I only learnt hard pen calligraphy (means only know how to use a pen, never learnt brush calligraphy).

Director: Yeah? Same as me.

Y: I really want to draw this well.

—-

BTS of 6th Prince. His lines in the drama are quite tough for a child to deliver.

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDg2MTQxNDc1Mg====.html

Caption: 6th Prince inside and outside of the drama.

During Rehearsal:

Yitong: Hello

Praising Yitong: Wow, you are so beautiful.

Caption:

[Good] foundation at delivering the lines.

Kneeling at the drop of a hat.

Performing with an imaginary object.

Very professional

During shooting:

Careful.

Focused.

Result of learning.

Not taking his eyes off.

Finished shooting.

Serious and professional.

Outside shooting:

Singing to relax.

Complaining: I am already wearing 4 layers of clothing. I still have 2 layers underneath.

Off screen: My life is difficult

Practising martial arts.

Off screen: How do people in ancient times salute?

Caption: Demonstration. This cannot stump me.

Off screen: Do you know how you are related to the Emperor in the drama?

Reply: He is my daddy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PPB said:

that is simply beautiful :heart: I'm going to take this one as the ending! 

Thank you so much for the really touching translation @bluehibiscus you really have a flair for words. (I understand how hard it is when one is working, one has no free time). 

Thank you. There are more scenes released. Now to find the time to translate them.

• Like 1

006UEmLPly1gj7up5yiqaj30u01hce87.jpg

006UEmLPly1gj7up530cmj30u01hbhdv.jpg

1 hour ago, PPB said:

Thank you for the translation @bluehibiscus, brilliant as always. Lots of snippets of scenes are appearing on YouTube now, but none have the English subtitles.. 

The official YT channel has just premiered the first few episodes. They will upload the official Eng subs when available. In the meantime English speakers have to use the Google Translated version.

• Like 2

Thank you @bluehibiscus, on YouTube they put a message that captions are on for the first 4 eps, but, as you say they're translated from Google. I've started watching  but delaying it a bit, as that translation is pretty rough... (and also I'm not in a hurry for the ending :bawling:). As I've watched more Chinese dramas and getting slightly better at the language, I think I've realised that it is a very rich and beautiful language they use. It really is a super production on all aspects. I'm a great fan of Luo Jin, but Li Yitong, and everyone else, my goodness, they really are excellent actors. Everything is coming alive again, so impressive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rosierosie said:

how many ep are there for the uncut? or unseen ep?^^

Are you referring to the script that didn’t make it to screen or the second season? If the latter, there are twelve 30-min episodes. At this length, there are obviously still cuts.

• Like 2

@bluehibiscus, could I bother you with a couple of questions? TIA! 

Would you point me in the direction of the page where you translated the "ke dai de yi si" speech? I want to write it down to keep for myself, but can't find it. And my search ability in the forum is not quite there... 

The second question, it has always bothered me, when Wenxi's father and brother were about to be executed, they looked at each other and smiled (even thinking of that scene upsets me!) I read somewhere, most likely here, that it was a kind of acceptance of their fate....  What do you, or anyone else, think about that? It seems so poignant, so sad and unfair, why were they smiling? 

Thanks again, your insights are much appreciated. 

27 minutes ago, PPB said:

Would you point me in the direction of the page where you translated the "ke dai de yi si" speech? I want to write it down to keep for myself, but can't find it. And my search ability in the forum is not quite there... 

It’s on page 68. I periodically update the navigation guide on pg 58 so you can try using that to locate previous discussions. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, PPB said:

The second question, it has always bothered me, when Wenxi's father and brother were about to be executed, they looked at each other and smiled (even thinking of that scene upsets me!) I read somewhere, most likely here, that it was a kind of acceptance of their fate....  What do you, or anyone else, think about that? It seems so poignant, so sad and unfair, why were they smiling? 

Thanks again, your insights are much appreciated. 

I think we can take reference from their conversation in Ep 20 when they were mentally preparing themselves for execution. At that time, they had made their peace with each other. Wenpu also expressed his opinion that being afraid was all the more reason why they should not show their fear.

The execution in Ep 33 was unexpected given that Lu had met up with the Crown Prince prior and they thought they were going to be freed but because of the previous experience, they were able to reconcile themselves more quickly with their fate. Wenxi and her brother were safe in Changzhou so they were not worried about them. At that last moment, when they knew death was inevitable, they smiled at each other probably because they wanted to give each other strength to meet death bravely in the face. It could also be their way of saying, “See you later.”; in those days, many people believed their souls would be able to meet the souls of their deceased kin after death.

• Love 1

On 9/28/2020 at 12:07 AM, bluehibiscus said:

I finished Ep 9 and started a bit of Ep10. 

The author of the novel has again released more content from her script and it seems CP would not have died if she had stayed as scriptwriter. Can I get a show of hands of how many are interested in that? If not many here are interested, then I’m not sure if I want to continue with the translation.

@bluehibiscus I appreciate your efforts in bringing the beauty of the script to us. So YES PLEASE. 

I will circle back to the last 12 episodes when I’ve steeled my heart. I’m sure it will bring closure to this hauntingly beautiful tragedy.  Thanks again!

• Like 2

I have already finished the novel and watched the whole series, all I can say is both of them are masterpieces. Despite rich-layered of the story, i still can't understand some details of the story, so I have a flavor to ask you one thing.

Spoiler

In the special episode 4, Wenxi was gifted as a consort then the CP immediately made an announcement that she is sick and didn't visit her for 4 years. 

What is the CP's purpose for doing such a thing? 

Thank you in advance and I'm so sorry for my broken English 

• Like 2

A scene from Season 1 which was not shown. This scene kind of contradicts the one where the Emperor asked Li Baizhou if it was necessary to go to that extent of punishment so I guess they changed it to make the Emperor look more merciful.  

4: 

Day. Inside Chui Gong Hall.

Morning court session.

Xiao Dingquan, dressed in court attire, stands at the head of all the officials.

Surveying all the officials, the Emperor speaks in a serious tone.

Emperor: The Imperial Exams have ended. As to what occured during the Imperial Exams, let’s put on a bold face on it and go over it.

Emperor: Actually, without my mentioning it, I believe all of you must have heard of it, disseminated it, debated about it, anguished over it, (raising his voice) congratulated one another  (he uses a derogatory idiom about villains feeling jubilant 弹冠相庆— flicking off the dust from one’s hat and congratulating one another because one expects to enter officialdom after one of their group becomes an official or is promoted to a higher rank)!

All the officials bow their heads: Your Majesty—

Emperor: Correct, it is Lu Ying’s matter!

Emperor: Lu Ying—is an honest and upright official. Confiscating his property took less half a day! There are no surplus things in his home. Lu Ying—is also a capable and experienced official. (Picking up a book from the side) This is the book he wrote on tea-horse trade during his posting in Shudi. I’ve read it and passed an edict for the Imperial Storehouse to produce the printing plates and print copies. I hope all of you will read the book carefully when the time comes.

The officials make no reply.

Emperor: The interruption of the first Imperial Exam by the Censorate — it was an unintentional mistake on his part. After all, the last-minute change of the exam timing was the responsibility of the Ministry of Rites—Minister Li, don’t be in a haste to disassociate yourself!

He Dao Ran who is about to launch into action clears his throat and falls silent.

Emperor: But I still want to kill him. Why?

The Emperor gives Xiao Dingquan who is standing at the lower eastern side a glance.

Xiao Dingquan’s expression is somber and he says nothing.

Emperor: Because he is indeed guilty! Guilty of failing to be upfront when serving his superior! Guilty of weak leadership when managing his subordinates! Guilty of planning great things but admitting evidence easily [without proper checks]! Guilty of bearing heavy responsibilities but not being up to the task! Having the intention to act is a crime. So too is acting unintentionally!

Emperor: As the leader of the Censorate, he was in charge of disciplining the conduct of all officials. But due to his insufficient ability, he ended up leading the officials to break the law and discipline. Subordinates who possess a good heart but end up committing bad acts are the ones I detest the most!

The Emperor signals to Chen Jin.

Chen Jin: Former Yushi Zhong Cheng, Lu Ying, broke the national decrees and regulations and is found guilty of plotting a rebellion. He and his eldest son are hereby sentenced to death by execution.

Xiao Dingquan grits his teeth.

Chen Jin: His eldest daughter will become a slave and his second son will be banished. In this way shall they be made an example of.

Xiao Dingquan turns pale for an instant. He wants to say something but holds his tongue in the end.

Li Baizhou gives a sigh of relief. 

He Dao Ran looks discomfited.

Zhang Lu Zheng pretends to look at ease.

Each of the officials is occupied with his own worries.

Emperor: Since those who do bad things with good intentions get punished, what more those who do bad things with malicious intentions? All of you present, if you boast you are not as upright, capable and loyal as Lu Ying, but do the same thing as he—

All the officials fall to their knees: We don’t dare!

Emperor:—I won’t stop at just detest!

All the officials bend their heads.

Emperor looks at Xiao Dingquan: Crown Prince, remember my words also. The supervision of the execution will be done by you.

His face whitened to a pallor, CP lifts his head and exchanges a look with the Emperor.

The Emperor’s eyes are glacial: What are you waiting for? This is the conclusion.

• Like 1

Another deleted scene from the author of the book. Now we know why Da Zong Zheng (head of the Imperial Clan Court) was removed from his post.

Night. Inside Yan An Palace.

The Emperor and Da Zong Zheng, Xiao Shi Hou, sit face to face.

The Emperor is personally boiling the tea.

Chen Jin passes the tea made by the Emperor to Da Zong Zheng: Fourth Dawang, please.

Xiao Shi Hou makes no move to accept it: Que She tea is not a tea that I drink (雀舌茶, so named because the leaves resemble the tiny tongues of sparrows.).

Emperor: My negligence, go change—

Xiao Shi Hou: Tonight, I didn’t want to come.

Emperor: I know but Fourth Uncle, aren’t you here anyway?

Chen Jin serves up a different cake of tea and the Emperor repeats the steps of tea-making.

XIao Shi Hou: I’m not sure what you senior and junior are at odds over. Your Zhao—Deng Hua Palace, she came over to my place and cried the whole afternoon.

Emperor: San Lang (third son) is immature. It’s my fault for not teaching him properly, so he gave Fourth Uncle trouble.

Xiao Shi Hou: So this time, it is still San Lang’s fault?

Emperor: He is a little frivolous after being acting monarch once. This is a family affair and he wants the external court to—

Xiao Shi Hou: In our family, is there a difference between state and family affairs?

Emperor: The royal family is still family. The commoners have a saying that harmony in the family brings prosperity in all matters. In our case, it should be unity and harmony in the family bring stability to the country. As the head of our clan, Fourth Uncle should understand this better than I.

The Emperor finishes making the tea. This time he offers it personally to Da Zong Zheng: This is Long Tuan (龙团may be referring to 龙团胜雪which was one of 38 types of renowned tea leaves during Song Dynasty. It is now lost. Separately "Long" means dragon and "Tuan" can mean group/union/reunion or cake as in a cake of compressed tea leaves).

Xiao Shi Hou takes a look at the endgame on the chessboard sitting at the side: Then may your subordinate ask, for the sake of the country’s stability, which chess piece does Your Majesty want me to abandon this time?

Emperor (his voice carries a note of warning): Fourth Uncle ah.

Xiao Shi Hou: It’s been so many years. Your Majesty is still using the same excuse? Is San Lang really the one who’s immature?

The Emperor makes no response.

Xiao Shi Hou: One by one, the members of the younger generations have gone (died) before me. In the end, the world is still that world. Has it ever been stable?

Emperor (mumbles to himself): Looks like Fourth Uncle still cannot forget what happened to him.

The Emperor’s face and tone darken.

Emperor: The purpose of inviting Da Zong Zheng over is to ask, how do you plan to rule in this family matter?

Xiao Shi Hou: I have no plans. I will rule according to the way it should be done. I don’t wish to commit the same mistake again.

Emperor: You haven’t started the questioning yet and you’ve decided I’m wrong?

Xiao Shi Hou: Your Majesty asked me over. His Highness hasn’t spoken a word to me in private.

Xiao Shi Hou rises and leaves. The Emperor stares intently at Xiao Shi Hou’s untouched cup of tea and the gradually disappearing layer of foam.

• Like 2
  • Love 2