[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

Hi @bluehibiscus

Regards to the court test on p71, my first assumption was that he was executed because of political balance game from the emperor. He took this chance to kill off those supporting cp. 

After reading your translation, It did change my perspective on that. As a ruler, law is law, break the law should be punish otherwise country will be chaos.

However, with the good intention, I still think the punishment is a bit harsh. At the very least, his oldest son could be spared. He has potential to be good minister. 

• Like 1

Sharing a very touching fan-made video. You get to see most of the characters.

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4557726770267962

https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1sK411N7Zo

1 hour ago, Cdrama said:

Hi @bluehibiscus

Regards to the court test on p71, my first assumption was that he was executed because of political balance game from the emperor. He took this chance to kill off those supporting cp. 

After reading your translation, It did change my perspective on that. As a ruler, law is law, break the law should be punish otherwise country will be chaos.

However, with the good intention, I still think the punishment is a bit harsh. At the very least, his oldest son could be spared. He has potential to be good minister. 

I find the court scene very interesting because it reveals the Emperor’s shrewdness and perceptiveness; he has a good handle on what his officials are thinking and can recognise who is capable. At the same time, it shows us how authoritative and cold-blooded he is as a ruler; he demands complete obedience and loyalty. He is a compelling character because of his ambivalent characteristics. The officials’ reactions are very realistically portrayed.

Wenpu’s punishment may have to do with his role during the protest scene which I will get to as soon as I can!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

I’ll throw out a question. What do you all think of the court scene at the end of page 71?

mmm... I think the Emperor is extremely ruthless and harsh, and as others has said, he demands blind obedience. He is, as we have seen, very intelligent and shrewd. He knows what everyone is thinking and doing, really hard to out-manouvre him in his ceaseless efforts to keep a balance that sees him as top dog at all times. I don't think it is just a case of the law being broken, which is true, but more of a case of using that fact to get at someone who is a supporter of CP. After all, that's what he does, doesn't he, the law is there, if broken punishment ensues, but what kind of punishment always depends on what is useful and convenient for the Emperor. He is using the law to serve his own ends. 

I also think that kind of upright and righteous (in the best possible sense) type of person, also like CP's teacher, really, really gets on his nerves... maybe because it highlights how unscrupulous, and not totally moral, HE is. It's kind of funny to compare him to the Emperor in Serenade of Peaceful Joy (for those who have seen it), who is practically the opposite of him... and sometimes we wanted to shout at him, come on, make those pesky ministers shut up, punish a few of them and threaten them a bit, to stop them being such a pain...you need to take a leaf out of the RN Emperor! LOL. I suppose a middle way might be the better path...

I believe it has been previously discussed here that the author was not happy about the Emperor in the drama being portrayed less harshly than she had written him... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PPB said:

mmm... I think the Emperor is extremely ruthless and harsh, and as others has said, he demands blind obedience. He is, as we have seen, very intelligent and shrewd. He knows what everyone is thinking and doing, really hard to out-manouvre him in his ceaseless efforts to keep a balance that sees him as top dog at all times. I don't think it is just a case of the law being broken, which is true, but more of a case of using that fact to get at someone who is a supporter of CP. After all, that's what he does, doesn't he, the law is there, if broken punishment ensues, but what kind of punishment always depends on what is useful and convenient for the Emperor. He is using the law to serve his own ends. 

I also think that kind of upright and righteous (in the best possible sense) type of person, also like CP's teacher, really, really gets on his nerves... maybe because it highlights how unscrupulous, and not totally moral, HE is. It's kind of funny to compare him to the Emperor in Serenade of Peaceful Joy (for those who have seen it), who is practically the opposite of him... and sometimes we wanted to shout at him, come on, make those pesky ministers shut up, punish a few of them and threaten them a bit, to stop them being such a pain...you need to take a leaf out of the RN Emperor! LOL. I suppose a middle way might be the better path...

I believe it has been previously discussed here that the author was not happy about the Emperor in the drama being portrayed less harshly as she had written him... 

@PPB You are probably right about people like Teacher Lu making the Emperor feel uncomfortable as they highlight the greyness of his morals.

The author did not actually come right out to say what she was displeased about. Reading third party posts, I used to subscribe to the same theory since the Emperor in the novel is a lot more colder and ruthless. However in her recent releases of script excerpts, she did make the Emperor regret which surprises me. It is a very interesting scene and I hope to translate it soon.

• Like 2

Look forward to reading it @bluehibiscus!! 

I remember vaguely something about the author being unhappy with the actor who plays the Emperor, and not writing his name somewhere....? (though personally I think the actor is brilliant, now I can't think of an Emperor whose face is not his!) 

• Like 2

I finally finished the 12 episodes and i love the ending. Its beautiful and memorable. The last 2 episodes teared me up. Admired the loyalty of XCP.

Can help to clarify if the death of CP's uncle is caused by the emperor or the 5th prince?

• Like 3

In the drama, Tian Tong Si 天童寺 in Ningbo, Zhejiang serves as Da Xiang Guo Si. A crew of 500 people filmed on 7 November 2018 from 7ish am to 11ish pm. The 1700-year-old temple was closed to visitors for that day. They also shot Crown Prince Woods there as seen in the last 2 photos .

73e7-imfiehq7877796.jpg

dba6842ef0db4e5c9660d1a6896bc967

3f2b926ea6df9b39ddd5bea16eff0e43.jpg

Spoiler

7c78-imfiehq7881265.jpg

7b88-imfiehq7881110.jpg

f5f5-imfiehq7881167.jpg

frc-1a6c2ebfcdbd8528bbf1da079caf8450.jpe

760906d613994bb18182429c1744033a

frc-d3cc5e13527bbbd5f3f546caae0936cf.jpe

cd2169a0e512448db274395eddd9e10d

x15gjrbv5w3.jpg

a26b479de8e24328a0e4114baa6715d0

Video log

https://www.xiaohongshu.com/discovery/item/5e0ebe6a00000000010024b6

• Like 1

Lines taken/modified from Yu Yi*’s letter to his friend.

已向季春 (It is the last month of spring/the third month of the lunar year),

感慕兼伤 (I am thinking of you?/feeling envy?/admiration? mixed with sadness)

情不自任 (I can’t control my feelings),奈何奈何 (I can’t help it)

足下何如 (How are you faring?),吾哀劳 (My heart aches for your toils)

何赖 (Do you have anyone to rely on?),爱护时否 (Do you have anyone who loves and cares for you)?

足下倾气力,孰若别时?(Are you still giving all your energies to life like the time when we parted?)

Exhibit from National Palace Museum, Taiwan

DEB038-FF-E904-460-A-A59-D-366-BA6-B22-F

http://chinapalacemuseum.com/wp-content/cpm/npm-p-1/old-note-000143-00003/481185.jpg

Read from right to left. The relevant section starts from the eighth line. 

5th Prince’s practice of calligraphy

CD31-EB2-D-6-C60-402-B-A15-C-4161-FC69-C

已向季春 (It is the last month of spring/the third month of the lunar year),

感慕兼伤 (I am thinking of you?/feeling envy?/admiration? mixed with sadness)

凡今之人莫如兄弟 There is no bond closer than brothers

CP’s final letter to the Emperor

EB37-AACD-581-D-4-EEA-B192-116-ECA874494

已向严冬 (It is severe winter)

感慕兼伤 (I am thinking of you?/feeling envy?/admiration? mixed with sadness)

情不自任 (I can’t control my feelings) 奈何 (I can’t help it)

陛下何如 (How are you faring, Your Majesty?)

吾哀劳 (My heart aches for your toils)

何赖 (Do you have anyone to rely on?)

爱护时否 (Do you have anyone to love and care for you?)

陛下倾气力 孰若别时 (Is your Majesty still giving all your energies [to the country] like the time when we parted?)

*Yu Yi was the younger brother of two powerful officials (Zhong Shu Ling Yu Liang, and Zhong Shu Jian Yu Bing) and Empress Yu Wen Jun. He was a calligraphy master and a high-ranking military official. He was General Zhengxi, Commander-in-Chief of Jiangzhou, Yizhou’s Cishi etc. After his death, he was granted the posthumous title of General Che Qi and posthumous name of Su (awe-inspiring, respectful, imposing). Some people believe he died a few months after writing the above letter.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

From the script released by the scriptwriter of the first season. You can see some parts were left out in the drama.

34: Night. Inside Zong Zheng Si; Outside the Palace; Inside Yi De Palace.

The fireworks light up the inside of Zong Zheng Si where the Crown Prince is gripping Gu Se Se’s hand tightly. With his head lying on her lap, he cries in anguish until his voice is hoarse. At a loss as to what to do, Gu Se Se hugs and pats him in an attempt to comfort him.

(Cut) Under a sky full of fireworks, the Emperor walks measuredly through the Palace towards the direction of Feng Xian Dian until he comes to its entrance. Crown Prince’s cries as he beat the doors still linger in his ears.

Crown Prince (Off-screen): Why do you not punish her?! Why do you still let her move into my mother’s residence?! Why do you want to have the same sin as her?!

(Cut) Empress Zhao sits before the bronze mirror that in Xiao Ding Quan’s memory belongs to Empress Gu, applying evening makeup. As she lifts her head, the dazzling fireworks illuminate her exquisite makeup.

As if sensing something, she stands and walks slowly towards the outside.

(Cut) The Emperor walking under a sky filled with fireworks.

Xiao Ding Quan (Off-screen): This is not fair, this is not fair!

Emperor (Off-screen): What kind of fairness do you want?

Xiao Ding Quan (Off-screen): I’m not! I’m not a powerful official (权臣an official who holds undue power and influence and is a potential threat to the throne) ...!

Emperor (Off-screen): I know, you are not one yet.

Xiao Ding Quan (Off-screen): Your Majesty—! Father—! What have I done wrong? Why—?

Emperor (Off-screen): What do you know?

Xiao Ding Quan (Off-screen): Please, please, even if you cannot be my father, please be a—

(Cut) The Emperor pushes open the doors to Feng Xian Dian.

(Cut) Yi De Palace. Empress Zhao who is heading outside stops. There is no one outside the doors.

(Cut) Walking alone into the empty Feng Xian Dian, the Emperor closes the doors. 

Emperor (Off-screen): A monarch with principles is precisely what I want to be.

35: Night. Inside Feng Xian Dian; Changzhou (exterior)

The closed doors shut out the light, plunging the hall into darkness.

The portraits of Emperors and Empresses from generations past are thrown into light with each explosion of fireworks only to descend into darkness when the fireworks fall. In this way, the emotionless faces in the portraits are illuminated as he walks. Finally, he stops before the portrait of the previous Emperor (i.e his father).

Under the light from the fireworks, he catches a fleeting glimpse of the late Emperor’s face.

He kneels: 

First year of Jing Ning, fifteenth day of the seventh lunar month, your official/servant Xiao Jian, before all the ancestors and the late Emperor.—

He kowtows.

Emperor: Li Baizhou, nephew of the late Emperor’s Empress, held office for 15 years,  dominating the Emperor, colluding with the court and army so that collaborative discussion and decision-making exist in name only, government directives are ineffective and the Emperor’s edicts frequently become meaningless.

Emperor: Gu Silin, the eldest son of former Zhong Shu Ling, Gu Yushan. Since the time of Great Grandfather, the Gus have linked themselves to the Xiaos through marriage, enjoying a dominant position over other families for over seventy years, holding important powers for thirty years. Their followers are everywhere, with complex and intertwined connections. I tried hard to restrain them on numerous occasions but without much success.

Father, I haven’t had a single night of peaceful sleep because of the hidden dangers you left behind! I keep envisioning the day when I would have the confidence to stand here to tell you that I hve realised my dreams; it is what sustains me through the nightmarish sleepless nights.

Emperor: There are cases where a person’s political measures stop when he dies. Gu Silin still lives; currently I’m helpless. There are cases where a person’s political measures survive when he dies. Li Baizhou may be dead but what can it change? As long as the branches are strong but the trunk is weak, there will be a second, a third and countless more Li Baizhous to come! When one falls, another steps up to take his place!

Opening his right hand, the Emperor looks at the blood of Xiao Ding Quan staining his palm.

Emperor: The Crown Prince requests me to be a sovereign with principles but the principles in my heart—how can he understand? He doesn't understand! As long as the blood of the Gus flows in him (rubs his fingers with distaste), no matter whether he is willing or not, he can only become the chip in the standoff between the Xiaos and Gus. If he successfully handles the case of the Crown Princess, half the court will stand behind him. No matter whether he is willing or not, he will replace Li Baizhou to become the new powerful official!

Emperor: He doesn’t understand—in this way, generation after generation, the same situation will continue in a never-ending vicious cycle. How can I and he jump out of this? 

Emperor: He doesn’t understand—what I want to clear away has never been just one person. What I want to clear is the whole country!

Emperor: After Li Baizhou, no one must be able to compete against the power of the Emperor. After Gu Silin, Gu Feng En must not be allowed to set up a separatist regime—regardless of his willingness, I will not allow these things to continue to happen.  

Emperor: Today, although I still haven’t got the confidence, I’ve come shamelessly to stand before Father. I’m here to apologise (also implies to ask for forgiveness). Father, because of Dage (Eldest brother), you continued to detest me? Until the last moment, you were still worried about leaving the country in my hands? 

Emperor: I’m also here to give a guarantee—.

Emperor: Impartial ruler obedient official/subject, kind father filial son—I don't need such empty words! Forests of outstanding talents, clouds of beautiful people. In court, I want them to belong to the Son of Heaven’s palm. The common people, dangerous terrains (steep mountains on the outside and choppy rivers on the inside) within the ruler’s land (these represent a ruler’s responsibilities), I want my orders to travel smoothly to every corner.

The soldiers who sacrifice themselves, I want them to at least die with dignity at the hands of enemies. The ordinary people who die in barren times, I want their wealth to at least enrich the national coffers.

Emperor: I want future rulers, no matter who they are, to be able to tread on the path I have cleared. In future when they stand here facing my portrait, I want their hearts to be filled, not with resentment but with gratitude. 

Emperor: I want—to consolidate/secure the power!

(Cut) The empty Chui Gong Hall after all the officials have left.

Emperor: This is the righteous cause in my heart, the way in my heart. For this, I can be unrighteous for a moment, permit a matter to be unjust, I can do things that will utterly destroy a person’s spirit, take on the entire imperial court.

(Cut) Yi De Palace. Empress Zhao places her cheek gingerly against the Empress’ ceremonial robe on the rack.

Emperor (Off-screen): I can stop being anyone’s husband—-

(Cut) Zong Zheng Shi. Xiao Ding Quan crying inconsolably.

Emperor (Off-screen) : or—father.

(Cut) Emperor: There will come a day when I will get my heart’s desire. In the meantime, all the retribution shall be borne solely by me, Xiao Jian.

He kowtows to the late Emperor’s portrait.

As the last fireworks display extinguishes, Feng Xian Dian returns to darkness.

• Like 1

36: Night. Outside the Palace.

The music has ended and the people have dispersed.

Chen Jin’s hand places the bloodied garment into a charcoal brazier.

The colour of blood. Flames. 

Xiao Ding Quan (Off-screen): Actually, sometimes I also suspect, perhaps they are only your chess pieces but some are fortunate and get to remain on the chess board. Those who are not fortunate become like....me.

Xiao Ding Quan (Off-screen): But even if I think like that...

Until there is nothing left.

Wow, thank you so much @bluehibiscus, I'm going to take my time and read through your last three posts slowly and carefully. What a treat! I wish it was you doing those subtitles!! Thanks again, reading this, and all the other posts, have just made RN so much more enjoyable, it has uncovered layer after layer, all of it more beautiful. There is so much poetry in it,  we all are indebted to your great skill. 

• Like 1

@PPB @Cdrama @rosierosie @Fangsi @DramaLover If anybody else wants to be tagged when I post a new transcript, just let me know.

Ep 2 Transcript (By Bluehibiscus. Please do not repost without my permission)

CP: Chang An, this time when you go to Changzhou, tell Li Ming An that Lu Wenxi is with me. Act according to the circumstances and discuss with him whether it is possible for you to bring her brother to the capital to allow the siblings to reunite.

Subtitles: Li Ming An, Changzhou Cishi

Imperial Physician: Lord Li is fine. 

Subtitles: Li Chong Kui, Commander of the Royal Guards

Imperial Physician: (To the other physicians) Apply the medicine. 

Imperial Physician: His condition is stable. After one more change of the medicine, I will return to the capital with the Commander to report to His Majesty.

Lady Li: My thanks to you and the other imperial physicians for your care during this period.

Dian Shuai: Lord Li, I will be returning to the Capital tomorrow. Do you have any words for me to convey to His Majesty?

Ming An: His Majesty orders me to continue holding my post here. The responsibility is incredibly heavy. Even with this battered body of mine, I can only be unwaveringly loyal. I will share the same cave as the tigers and wolves and forbear as I make my plans. Even if I die, I have no regret or resentment.

Dian Shuai: Lord Li endures humiliation to carry out your heavy responsibilities. You have my admiration.

Wang: Your Highness, Registrar Xu is here to tender his letter of resignation. He says His Majesty has given his permission.

CP: His Majesty has permitted but I don’t permit.

Xu: Please ask the east-flowing waters of the river, between parting sentiments and it, which is longer? I thank Your Highness for bestowing me with the words, “don’t permit.” It’s a sufficient show of face.

CP: Bring wine.

Wang: Yes.

Xu: Come to think of it, this is the second time we are having wine together.

CP: We got acquainted because of the exam cheating case. That time I made use of you. Although on the surface, you agreed to it but in your heart, you must have despised me. Using the promise of fame and fortune, I treated a famed national instrument as my personal tool. In the eyes of Xu Han Lin, a crown prince like me must be detestable, disgusting, repulsive and ridiculous. Hence, when you offered advice to Li Baizhou and repeatedly forced me into a desperate situation, I’ve never hated you or thought of exacting revenge as I knew it was my comeuppance. It was the—retribution I deserved. 

Xu: Your Highness, don’t drink anymore.

CP: Let me finish. My Teacher once warned me, a wise bird chooses the tree (to nest) and a wise man chooses the lord (to serve). When you returned to my side once again under His Majesty’s orders to keep tabs on me, remind me and warn me, I would belitle myself, thinking you and I were no different fundamentally. 

CP: But I was wrong. I couldn’t be more wrong. I never expected that Xu Chang Ping, you, I, we are not that sort of people. 

CP: Even though you were spurned by me many times, you still insisted on investigating the source of the folksong. In the end, your investigation led you to Wu De Hou. Of the many truths and lies you have told, that was the only time I was sure you were not acting on His Majesty’s orders or conveying His Majesty’s wishes. That was because before I warned His Majesty, he was completely unaware the country was in impending peril. 

CP: Xu Chang Ping, at that moment, you were guilty of deceiving your monarch.

Xu: I’m aware.

CO: Between the Emperor and the Crown Prince, you chose me, which brought you nothing but harm. Hence, I was positive when you handed me the truth, you were placing the safety of the country in my hands. The hands of a humiliated and distrusting crown prince.

Xu: That’s because I was certain Your Highness was the person closest to the truth.

CP: No matter what, be it retribution or revenge, thank you very much. Now that we’ve spoken all that needs to be spoken, you won’t leave anymore, right?

Xu: I still have to leave. My mother is having a relapse. I have to stay by her side and perform my filial duties.

CP: Under the system of our dynasty, officials are allowed to resign from their posts to take care of their sick parents. Even His Majesty cannot force them against their wishes.

Xu: Thank you, Your Highness.

CP: I haven’t finished. Today I will send someone to bring your mother from Yuezhou to the capital. I’m sincere about retaining you. I hope you won’t continue to turn me down. You said before you are ambitious and want to change your green robe to purple, black belt to gold (*the colour of the robe reflects one’s rank). 

Xu: I was just saying that in jest. How could you take me seriously?

CP: But that’s what I want to do. Let’s change to red robe first. Zhan Shi Fu, Zheng Zhan, rank 3 (san pin). What do you say?

Xu: This—but surely Your Highness doesn’t have the final say on this?

CP: Prince Qi has departed for his estate and Uncle won the war so His Majesty is extending a gesture of favour and conciliation towards me. Yesterday, he placed the matter of Liang Chun Fang and Zhan Shi Fu on the agenda. You’ve long been in His Majesty’s good graces. With my recommendation, His Majesty will surely be glad to see it done.

Xu: For this position, I recommend Vice Minister of Rites (Shi Lang is one rank lower than Shang Shu/Minister), Zhang Gong Qian, to fill it as a concurrent appointment. This way, Your Highness can be considered as having control over half of the Ministry of Rites—

CP (angrily): I’ve said already, permission not granted!

Xu (cautiously): Is Your Highness not granting permission for Zhang Gong Qian to assume a concurrent appointment in Zhan Shi Fu or not granting permission for me to continue in the post of registrar?

CP (relaxing into a smile): So you’re not leaving anymore?

Xu: I’m not leaving. Many thanks, Your Highness.

Gu Silin: I wanted to allow you your innocent nature by sending you back to the capital so you could stay by His Highness’ side and study with him. Alas, things did not go according to wishes. In the end, you can’t ever go back.

Feng En: Is it true I wilI never be able to see His Highness again? 

Gu Silin: The only thing we can do now is protect Changzhou to protect your auntie’s child. Towards His Highness, we can only do our utmost until our deaths.

Gu Feng En: I no longer wish to return to the capital. For the sake of this country, for His Highness and to inherit the heroic mantle of our Gu Family, I want to gain experience on the battlefield. Even if I die, I have no regrets. Father, please allow me to go to the frontline.

The Son of Heaven declares, Jia Yi Bo Gu Feng En has always been loyal and righteous, is blessed with outstanding ability and wisdom. I commend him for his devotion to securing the peace of the country. He is hereby bestowed the title of He Yang Hou and appointed Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Changzhou.

Bao Ben Palace.

CP: You say Lu Guniang is still at Ming An’s residence?

Chang An: Indeed. Before I was able to say that Lu Wenxi is in the capital and being taken care of by Your Highness, Lady Li personally told me Lu Guniang was not able to meet guests as she was feeling unwell and had retired early.

Wang: In other words, you did not personally lay eyes on Lu Guniang?

Chang An (shakes his head): I did not.

CP: Why?

Wang: Your Highness—

Wang: (to Chang An) You may leave.

Chang An: Yes

Wang: Your Highness, under current circumstances—

CP: Even if she’s not Lu Wenxi, she’s the one I’ve determined I want. I’m only disappointed...

(Flashback begins)

CP: Prince Qi has departed for his vassal state. If you have any difficulty, you must let me know. Although I may not be the most respectable Crown Prince, I'm still the Crown Prince. As long as you say it, I will think of a way to help you.

(Flashback ends.)

CP: She still doesn’t believe in me, doesn’t believe that I will protect her.

Chang An: I’ve done as you’ve instructed and reported to His Highness that the Lu siblings are still at Li Ming An’s residence.

Wu Dawang: Good. What about Li Ming An’s end?

Chang An: I informed him Lu Guniang is at your residence. Li Cishi did not suspect anything.

Wu Dawang: Only with Lu Wenxi still at Li Ming An’s will the one in Dong Fu lose the trust of His Highness. That way, no matter what she says, we have nothing to fear.

Wang: People are not grass and trees, who can have no feelings? I’ve stayed in this Bao Ben Palace for 7 years. I can’t bear to leave here. What’s with me now?

CP: You must be afraid that after moving to the Palace, your life won’t be as free as outside the Palace.

Wang: When the late Empress entrusted me, she said that life outside the Palace had more freedom for fear that Your Highness would be restricted. But thinking about it now, were it not for this, Your Highness wouldn’t have been deprived of the chance to see Her Majesty for the last time. 

As they approach the snow-covered steps, Wang instinctively moves to support CP but CP takes Wang’s arm instead.

Wang: Now we have to move back to the Palace again. This is all fate.

Chang He : Wu Dawang, you have a visitor.

Wu Dawang: Let her come in.

Change He: Yes.

Wu Dawang: Jiejie, quick, please take a seat. Chang He, serve tea.

Wenxi: It’s not necessary. I’m here to bid you goodbye.

She bows.

Wu Dawang: Jiejie, you’re too polite. Jiejie, what is this for?

Wenxi: I’m afraid in future with the Palace walls separating us, it will be difficult to meet Wu Dawang.

Wu Dawang: Looks like in Jiejie’s heart, you won’t even leave a space for me to erect an awl.

Wenxi: I will always remember Wu Dawang’s great kindness to me but fate likes to play tricks and I have no more chance to repay you. This is a small gift. I hope you will accept it.

Taking the scroll, Wu Dawang rises from his seat and unrolls the scroll. 

(Calligraphy) 乞浆何用访蓝桥 There is no need to visit Lan Qiao* to beg for water.

眼底笔下即琼瑶 In your eyes and under your pen is precious jade (“precious jade” can mean the lady he loves or is a way of praising Wu Dawang’s beautiful poetry/letters).

萧郎应堪裴郎妒 Xiao Lang^ should bear Pei Lang’s* jealousy (because compared to Pei Lang, Xiao Lang had an easy time of it finding his wife) Some viewers interpret this as Wu Dawang should make CP jealous by finding a wife of his own and living happily while others think CP is Xiao Lang and Wu Dawang is Pei Lang who has to do the impossible to find his wife (his love for Wenxi is impossible.)

丹青不灭意不消 As long as this painting is still around, my affection will never be gone. Some viewers feel this line from the novel has been misappropriated since Wenxi did not give Wu Dawang a painting. In the novel, the poem was written by the Emperor on his portrait of CP’s mother during the honeymoon period of their marriage to describe his deep love for her. He later burns the portrait.

Given Wenxi is persuading Wu Dawang to give up on her, I think this can be interpreted as: As long as the painting/my love for your brother exists, I will not change my intentions, i.e. there is no point yearning after me, seek your own happiness. But some viewers feel this will further incite Wu Dawang’s jealousy and anger against his brother.

*In the legend, when Pei Hang (i.e. the Pei Lang alluded to in the poem) passed by Lan Qiao, he begged for some water from an old woman weaving linen. The woman bade her daughter, Yun Ying, to serve him water. Yun Ying was astoundingly beautiful and he fell in love with her immediately. When he sought Yun Ying’s hand in marriage, her mother wanted him to pound a magic pill in her possession using jade mortar and pestle for a hundred days so she could eat it and enjoy longevity before she would give her consent. Pei Hang agreed. After much effort, Pei Hang found a jade mortar and pestle set at a pharmacy and spent all his money to buy it. While making the arduous journey back on foot, he pounded the pill day and night. Jade Rabbit from the Moon Palace was moved by his sincerity and secretly pounded the pill for him at night. Yun Ying’s mother was touched and finally gave her consent. Pei Hang and Yun Ying married and led a blissful life. They later became immortals. 

^Xiao Shi (i.e. the Xiao Lang alluded to in the poem) and Nong Yu. Legend has it that the beloved daughter of Duke Mu of Qin, Nong Yu had a passion for music. She especially loved to play the xiao (flute). One night, she dreamt of a handsome young man who excelled at playing the xiao and was willing to marry her. Duke Mu sent his men out on a search based on his daughter’s description of the dream and found a man called Xiao Shi below the Ming Xing cliff of Huashan. Xiao Shi was taken to the Palace and he married Nong Yu. One night, when the two were playing xiao under the moon, the music attracted a purple phoenix and a red dragon. Xiao Shi told Nong Yu that he was actually an immortal but because a special fate existed between him and Nong Yu, he used the sound of his xiao to bring them together. Now that the dragon and phoebix had arrived, it was time to go. With Xiao Shi riding the dragon and Nong Yu riding the phoenix, the pair leaped into the air and flew away. Duke Mu sent his men in pursuit until the Central Peak (later known as Jade Maiden Peak) of Huashan/Mount Hua but no trace of the pair could be found. Later, he built a temple there in honour of her.

-4665-448x600.jpg

Photos of Jade Maiden Peak and Temple

https://j.17qq.com/article/gbifgbebz.html

Disappointment crosses his face and he drops the scroll onto the table.

Wu Dawang: (bitterly) Jiejie is still only willing to give me your calligraphy. I remember I once unashamedly begged Jiejie for a painting.

(Flashback begins)

Wenxi: Wu Dawang, thanks for your appreciation. But my aptitude is poor and I probably won’t be able to reproduce the same kind of painting.

(Flashback ends)

Wu Dawang: Jiejie is really a person who does not change her mind.

Wu Dawang: Chang He, bring over my writings.

Chang He: Yes.

Wu Dawang (Smiles): I wrote this when we first met.

(Calligraphy) 风雨伊人来 In the wind and rain comes a beauty

Wu Dawang: Your beauty is just as the books describe. Too pale when powder is worn, too red when rouge is applied (i.e. makeup is extraneous)

Wu Dawang: This was when we met again in Lu Residence.

(Calligraphy) 已向季春 It is the last month of spring/the third month of the lunar year,

感慕兼伤 I am thinking of you?/feeling envy?/admiration? mixed with sadness

凡今之人莫如兄弟 There is no bond closer than brothers

Wu Dawang: I thought Heaven was smiling on me. But Jiejie, you asked me about 3rd Brother’s name. 

Wu Dawang: Look, while Jiejie was learning 3rd Brother’s calligraphy, I was learning Jiejie’s calligraphy.

Wenxi: Wu Dawang is young and dashing. So many ladies from noble families—

Wu Dawang: But the one I like is you! Jiejie, if there were no 3rd Brother, would you have chosen me?

Wenxi: You are speaking in a fit of pique. In the face of destiny, none of us is able to choose. Isn’t it so?

Wi Dawang: Unable to choose? When I was young, I played with 3rd Brother and he pushed me. I fell and broke my forehead. Father punished us to kneel on the stone stairs for a day and night. I thought Father would comfort me but he asked me not to fight with 3rd Brother. From that moment onwards, I told myself their affairs have nothing to do with me. But in the case of Jiejie, there is only one in this world, I can’t give up without a fight.

Wenxi: There are too many things binding His Highness and me in this life. I cannot accept your good intentions.

Wenxi takes her leave.

Wu Dawang is burning the scroll.

Wu Dawang:  Xiao Lang should bear Pei Lang’s jealousy

As long as this painting is still around, my affection will never be gone.

So what if [you] refused to help others make their wedding dresses?

From now on, Xiao Lang** (referring to himself) is a stranger.

**From 侯门一入深如海 It is like the deep sea once you enter the home of a noble,

从此萧郎是路人 From now on, Xiao Lang is a stranger。

Yan Zuo Palace.

Xie: Concubine greets Your Highness.

CP: Yesterday you saw the Empress. What did she say?

Subtitles: Xie Liang Di

Xie: She said the Emperor is considering a new conferrment for Your Highness. She asks if you have any one in mind. I answered that I do not know. 

CP: I remember the Empress is your aunt. 

Xie: I informed Your Highness of this fact before. She is considered my aunt but we are only distantly related (falls outside 5 generations). 

CP: I don’t mean anything else. In future, we’ll all be in the Palace. Even if it is just distant relatives, it will be beneficial for getting along. Wang Chang Shi is getting old. Help to share some of his duties so he doesn’t have to work so hard.

Xie: Yes.

Eunuch Wang leads Wenxi to a residence.

Wang: Here. (Laughs) 

Wenxi looks around the new surroundings curiously. 

Wang: Please. 

Wang: His Highness has been wanting to find a quiet place. After much looking, this is it. This place is near Crown Prince Woods. I’ve arranged some people to clean it up. The other day, you risked your life to save His Highness. You still have long days ahead with His Highness. Stay safe, don’t create trouble and it will be fine.

Xi Xiang breaks into an excited smile on seeing Wenxi in.

Xi Xiang: Jiejie!

Wenxi: Xi Xiang?

Xi Xiang: Jiejie.

Wenxi: Xi Xiang.

Xi Xiang: Follow me. 

Xi Xiang: This place is right next to Crown Prince Woods. Look, isn’t the scenery beautiful?

Looking around the room, Wenxi sees the gold crane hairpin lying in an open case on the table. She picks it up and then looks at Xi Xiang. Everything is going so well that it feels a little unreal. Xi Xiang smiles encouragingly at her. Smiling in return, Wenxi’s hand closes around the hairpin in hope, in happiness.

There is a knock. Xi Xiang opens the door.

Chang An: Chang An greets Gu Guniang.

Wenxi: Chang An?

Wenxi sends the doubtful-looking Xi Xiang a look of reassurance. Xi Xiang leaves the room after a deferential bow.

Chang An: Wu Dawang sent me to visit you to see if everything is taken care of properly. 

Wenxi: My thanks to Wu Dawang.

Chang An: I also brought along a letter for you. You will understand in one glance.

Wenxi: It’s a letter from Ah Jin?

Chang An nods.

Wenxi opens and reads the letter. She breaks into a relieved smile.

Wenxi: It’s Ah Jin. He wrote about the things that happened when we were young. Wu Dawang has already brought Ah Jin to the capital? 

Chang An: Yes. Wu Dawang will help you take care of Little Master.

Wenxi: But what brings you specially to the capital?

Chang An: With your intelligence, how are you not able to guess? Wangye is kind. Ever since you moved to Dong Gong, he hasn’t made things difficult for you by asking you to do things you don’t wish to do. But you can’t have forgotten why he sent you to Dong Gong in the first place.

(Flashback begins)

Chang He: Dawang has left. We don’t have any one in Dong Fu. Even if that one knows something, he/she won’t tell us.

Wu Dawang: I’ve said before, I don’t wish to get myself involved in their affairs. Moreover, do you think it is so easy to sneak a person into Dong Fu?

Jiang: For the wedding at Dong Gong, the maids attending to the Crown Princess must be drawn from the Palace. I’m in charge so it’s not considered a hard task.

Chang He: Her identity is also appropriate. She knows about the tea-horse trade, is a long-time friend of Changzhou Cishi and is enemy with the Minister of Justice. If Lu Ying is saved, Changzhou Cishi will be indebted to you for life.

(Flashback ends)

Chang An: Now that Wangye has encountered trouble, you must help share his worries.

Wenxi: What are Wu Dawang’s instructions?

Chang An: It’s nothing much. It’s just that the case on the Fifteenth Day of the Eighth Month, Wangye hasn’t quite figured out the head and tail of it, in particular what kind of deal His Majesty and Wu De Hou struck to let Guang Chuan Jun depart for his estate. Please provide the details to Wu Dawang. 

The sheaf of letters falls from Wenxi’s cold fingers. Chang An picks them up and hands them to her.

Chang An: These are Guniang’s lifeblood. Please keep them well.

Wenxi: Then please convey my words to Wu Dawang.

Chang An: Wu Dawang has already instructed me about it. He is afraid I’m not bright enough and will misinterpret your meaning so he asks you to write a letter to him.

Wenxi: I will definitely follow Wu Dawang’s instructions. But it’s getting late. If His Highness were to come and bump into you, wouldn’t it cause trouble?

Chang An: Then please get the letter written first. I will come for it after a few days. There is one more matter. 

Wenxi: What is it?

Chang An goes to her dressing table. His hand passes over the various accessories on display before settling on the crane hairpin. Wenxi’s hand reaches out instinctively.

Chang An: Please don’t blame me. Wu Dawang asks me to get a token from you. In future, when you see this hairpin, you will know the messenger is sent by Wu Dawang. I will take my leave.

Alone, Wenxi tries to absorb what has happened. She sags onto a seat.

Wenxi (with disillusion): It turns out I’ve been too naive.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

I was happily surprised to discover that the epilogue got an 8.9 douban rating! I acknowledge that the number of people rating is still very low (3000s), so it may change when more people are watching and rating. Anyway, let me indulge myself in this rating while I can! :grin:

• Like 4

Hi all, I have done some formatting to the Ep 1 Transcript to make it easier to read.

Here's a BTS of another snowy scene that was cut from the drama. I wonder what the scene is about. I think the finished version would look very beautiful. In one part, the director was adjusting Yitong’s long sleeves. Yitong felt he wouldn’t know the way of it being a straight man but later when the right staff came along, she realised the director did it correctly. The director praised that she looked beautiful after the sleeves were adjusted properly.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDg5ODY5MTAwOA==.html?spm=a2hzp.8244740.0.0

• Like 2
  • Love 1

From the scriptwriter of the first season.

18: Night. Inside Yan An Palace.

Emperor: About that maid—

Li Chong Kui: Yes, I’ll go claim [he doesn’t get to finish “my punishment”]—

Emperor makes to rise: Let it be. But there will surely be a day when someone thinks to come to court and force me to walk barefooted on the floor, Dian Shuai, you will also still—

Before the Emperor’s feet can touch the ground, Li Chong Kui already has the Emperor’s shoes ready.

In a firm voice, he says: I will make sure their heads fall to the ground faster than Your Majesty’s feet.

The Emperor puts on the shoes, pats Chong Kui’s shoulders and suddenly laughs: It’s not come to that yet.

The Emperor gets up and walks towards the study table: After all, our dynasty is not like the past, and I’m not—

Casually, the Emperor tears the model calligraphy to pieces.

18: Day. Outside the Palace.

On the polo field. The Empress Zhao sits under an imperial canopy.

Empress Zhao: The kids today are really...with this kind of standard, they still want to play.

Up in front of her, dressed in short tight-sleeve shirts, Wang Mei Ren and a group of other women in the harem are playing chuiwan (an ancient Chinese version of golf https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuiwan) but perpetually missing the ball.

Emperor: You were taught by me, how can they compare to you?

Empress Zhao: Your Majesty can teach them too and see if they can be better than me.

Emperor: The Empress is goading me (the term is made up of two characters that separately mean “agitate” and “general”)?

Empress Zhao: I’m goading the monarch (she replaced the character for “general” with the character for “monarch”).

Emperor: Fine, I will take the challenge—You all, come over.

Song Gui Ren immediately comes running while wiping her perspiration. Without any regard for manners, she picks up the cup of water sitting in front of the Emperor: The sun is killing me—How come Your Majesty is so free these few days?

The Emperor gestures for her to come closer and adjusts her wrist: Can’t I steal away for some leisure time? Then what’s the use of having sons?—Do it this way, don’t hit the ball first, practise your swing.

Song Gui Ren is not keen on practising so she coos: Why not just abdicate in favour of His Highness? Then you will have even more leisure time.

Empress Zhao’s expression changes and she chastises: Your usual jokes can be overlooked but are these words you can say?

Alarmed, Song Gui Ren pays obeisance to the Emperor: Your Majesty, Concubine...

The Emperor smiles nonchalantly: I think the idea of being Taishang Huang is not bad. I only worry you all will be reluctant.

Observing his expression, after a second of silence, the Empress smiles: If Your Majesty becomes Taishang Huang, then I will be Dowager Empress. My rank will move up. Why will I be reluctant?

Not understanding the silent crossing of swords, Song Gui Ren says: Then Concubine will be Tai...Gui Ren? That sounds awful. Your Majesty, please change Concubine’s title.

Emperor: If you get the ball in, you will be promoted. Whoever gets the ball in first gets promoted first.

Song Gui Ren and Wang Mei Ren: Really? I don’t believe—Pass an edict first.

Emperor: You’re getting more and more opportunistic. You want proof? Fine—Xu Hanling—

Chen Jin reminds: Your Majesty, Xu Hanling has already...(been removed from his post)

Emperor realises: Oh, I got used to calling.

Song Gui Ren: You still say it’s not a lie?

Emperor: Can’t I write it myself? Go practise first. With this standard, you still want to play polo?

• Love 1