[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

@bluehibiscus I can’t thank you enough for the translation and keeping this forum really interesting and meaningful. The script is really beautiful and make the story even more touching.

by any chance there is a release of the script on the court test on the ep16? I saw some screenshots and the timeline netizens said what would happen but I would love to know more detail. The scrip on this would be very interesting. Also, on the mid autumn festival where the emperor severely punished the prince. I would love to know what make the emperor faint? 

Thank you very much very much!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cdrama said:

@bluehibiscus I can’t thank you enough for the translation and keeping this forum really interesting and meaningful. The script is really beautiful and make the story even more touching.

by any chance there is a release of the script on the court test on the ep16? I saw some screenshots and the timeline netizens said what would happen but I would love to know more detail. The scrip on this would be very interesting. Also, on the mid autumn festival where the emperor severely punished the prince. I would love to know what make the emperor faint? 

Thank you very much very much!

Thank you @Cdrama. It is nice to know people are reading and liking the translations. She has released quite a number of scenes thus far. The actions of the students during the exam and Teacher Lu’s full speech before his death are among them but the language is a bit deep so I need more time to do research.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Besides the ones by the author of the novel, there are also deleted scenes from the scriptwriter of the second season. The original author has a distinctive style which the second season scriptwriter is not able to emulate so I feel the lines for the second season are not as effective.

In case anyone’s interested in the missing ending scene from the Legend of Haolan, I did a summary here.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

I have not seen Legend of Hao Lan, and wondered if people here can recommend it to this great fan of RN. I've just watched the first episode tonight, to get a sense of whether it is worth watching. It seems promising though maybe a bit uneven in pace. 

I hate to say this, I watched the first two episodes of Bie Yun Jian, and it could be my memory, or the Google translation, or both, but I couldn't make much sense out it..... 

I watched the Legend of Hao Lan because I enjoyed the pairing of Nie Yuan and Wu Jinyan in Yanxi. It was a mixed experience for me. There are familiar faces like the actress who played Yingluo’s faithful maid and the actress who played the evil Concubine Gao. Wang Yu (Xu Chang Ping in RN) has quite an interesting role too.

Hao Lan has potential in terms of the story but because of some censorship hurdles (rumoured to be the distortion of history and the notoriety of the actual historical characters), the ending became quite rushed and abrupt and they abandoned the final build up to Lu Buwei and Hao Lan’s relationship.

Nie Yuan is a very reliable actor and I enjoyed his performance. Wu Jingyan is less consistent (in the romantic scenes). Mao Zijun is a handsome and competent actor who is often relegated to playing second fiddle for some reason. He managed to garner quite a number of fans with this lead role. Hai Ling as the villainess gets quite a lot of screentime. I find the character too over the top but she is quite a good actress and very photogenic. The OST has some memorable pieces. Overall I don’t regret watching it but it could have been so much better.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/3/2020 at 2:39 PM, sirisyria said:

I have already finished the novel and watched the whole series, all I can say is both of them are masterpieces. Despite rich-layered of the story, i still can't understand some details of the story, so I have a flavor to ask you one thing.

Reveal hidden contents

In the special episode 4, Wenxi was gifted as a consort then the CP immediately made an announcement that she is sick and didn't visit her for 4 years. 

What is the CP's purpose for doing such a thing? 

Thank you in advance and I'm so sorry for my broken English 

Hi @sirisyria Welcome to the forum and do hang around to chat. Don’t worry about your English. It is quite good. It will take me a while to get back to you as I am working on recaps of the episodes and translations of the script but I will reply you.

Here’s a short and humorous piece from the script revealed by the author of the first season.

34: Night, on a boat.

Inside the boat, a pile of intact Mandarin orange peels lies beside CP’s feet.

Xu (frowning): Your Highness is really sincere about giving me a treat.

CP: Why? Do you have a complaint?

Xu nods: Of course I—

CP: Then you foot the bill?

Xu changes his tone, speaking with certainty: Of course not, I have no complaints and I have no money.

The mention of no money makes CP sigh.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

From the script revealed by the author of the first season.

34-17:

CP: You cannot tell it even to me?

Gu Se Se: It is not just Your Highness whose heart harbours regrets.

CP: I guess so?

Gu Se Se: And it is not just Your Highness whose regrets cannot be surmounted like the mountains and oceans.

CP: The mountains and oceans cannot be surmounted, let alone [with] a cylinder of water?

Gu Se Se: If the mountains and oceans can truly be surmounted, then being able to see these lanterns, these regrets, on a wide river in future, being washed away by its waters, will be great.

37:

Night. Inside a boat; on a river (exterior); peak of Nan Shan (exterior)

Xu gazes outside the boat where another Mandarin orange peel lantern is being released into the water. Within his sights are the sporadic spots of candlelight and the few people inside the boat who are already stuffed but still persevering.

Finally, he makes to put down the Mandarin orange in his hand. Xiao Dingquan slants him a look. Left with no choice, Xu continues eating.

Xu (laughs): Your Highness, is this counted as “Warning Beacon Prank on the Nobles”*?

*烽火戏诸侯 - fatuous King You of Zhou repeatedly lit the warning beacons frivolously to get his queen, an icy beauty, to smile and it resulted in his nobles ignoring the smoke signals when there was a real attack https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_You_of_Zhou

CP fills his mouth with another Mandarin orange and gives a laugh: I just like eating Mandarin oranges. Is it not allowed?— Also, how are you in any way like a noble?

(My comment: Actually he does not like Mandarin oranges. Recall how he threw aside the Mandarin orange at Konghe the last time and it rolled to Wenxi’s feet?)

With that, his eyes wander to the calm surface of the river outside the boat.

(Switch to panoramic view) On the river, the scattered lantern lights surrounding the boat gradually gather, resembling the light of stars.

Cut: From a pavillion on the mountain, Gu Se Se sees the river glittering like a galaxy of stars. Her skirt billows in the breeze as the river of stars shimmers.

(Flashback starts) Gu Se Se: If the mountains and oceans can truly be surmounted, then being able to see these lanterns, these regrets, on a wide river in future, being washed away by its waters, will be great. (34-17) (Flashback ends.)

Xi Xiang peels a yellow Mandarin orange, lifts her head to take a look and remarks: Yo, which family is releasing lanterns?

Smiling, Gu Se Se picks up a peeled Mandarin orange.

Xi Xiang stops her: Isn’t Cai Ren going to wait for His Highness to return and eat together?

Gu Se Se: This? He doesn’t like to eat this. Save that plate of honey pastries for him.

Lightly caressing her lower abdomen as the thin glaze of tears in her eyes reflects the tiny specks of light, she mumbles to herself: [He’s] still acting like a child.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

From the script revealed by the author of the first season.

5: Night. Inside Chui Gong Hall - outside Dan Feng Gate. 

Still awake, the Emperor sits inside the hall, using a firepot to brew tea.

Xu Changping stands in attendance on one side.

Emperor: Xu Han Ling, when you made mistakes, did your father ever punish you?

Xu: My father passed away before I was born so I did not have the good fortune of having that happen to me.

Emperor: Is it good fortune or resentment?

Xu: There will be resentment for a time— but I think eventually they will understand.

Emperor: Why?

Xu: When a house collapses from the use of new, bent wood to build its pillars, there is no resentment (as it is to be expected). But when a young child brings down the roof tiles for no good reason, his kind doting mother will give him a beating—What more the father of the country?

Emperor: Xu Han Lin is more mature than my sons and nephews. What did they say when you went to relay the edict?

(Flashback) Facing Xu Chang Ping, He Shi Zhao roars furiously: Resisting with all my might [even at the risk of offending His Majesty and losing my life], is not enough! Xu Chang Ping! How can you even write this sort of edict! How can you be such a treacherous official! Did you think that having the Emperor at your back means you can become the enemy of all the scholars?

Xu (in a bland tone): Nothing much. Just some words of favour.

Emperor: They haven’t favoured you enough. (This carries double meaning. On the surface, it sounds like a compliment but the Emperor must have known Xu would be scolded. By saying they hadn’t favoured Xu enough, it suggests what is to come will get him scolded even more, keeping us in anticipation as to what the Emperor is planning next)

He hands a cup of tea to Xu. After bowing his head and saluting, Xu drinks.

6: Night. Outside the Palace.

Wearing a raincoat, Xu Chang Ping once again runs towards the direction of Dan Feng Gate.

7: Night. Outside Dan Feng Gate.

Holding an umbrella while treading the rainy ground, a man crosses the square of Dan Feng Gate and looks at the gathering of officials before the Palace gates; they are crying their hearts out as though their parents had passed away.

Du Heng: Why are you all still here?

He Shi Zhao turns his head: Why do you come only now? Do you know what the royal edict just said?

Du Heng (calmly): The conferrment of the Empress?

He Shi Zhao: You knew?!—The punishment of Fang Fu, the slandering of justice are already intolerable! But to make a suspect in the murder of a sovereign the mother of the country! Even if I have to give up this hat and belt—no, even if I have to give up my life like Lu Zhong Cheng—

Du Heng: This time, it isn’t the Imperial Exams, you can’t be Lu Zihua. Go back, He Zhong Cheng. 

He Shi Zhao: Du Heng, you—?! After the passing of this kind of edict, you still want to abide by His Majesty’s wishes? Aren’t you letting His Highness down? Do you know what will happen to His Highness if we all accept this?

Du Heng: With the passing of this kind of edict, haven’t you figured it out yet? His Majesty wishes to beat not just His Highness but also me, you—

Cut: Inside Yan An Palace. The Emperor puts away his cup and stares at the cup of tea that is still sitting in its original position, the one that Da Zong Zheng did not touch at all.

Du Heng (off-screen)—and the entire court after [the departure of] Li Baizhou!

Du Heng: Do you know what will happen if we don’t accept it?

He Shi Zhao: Then all the more we shouldn’t give in. If we give in now, what do we do in the future?

Du Heng: I don’t know what to do in the future but under current circumstances, if we don’t follow the edict—aren’t you afraid the next edict will be the deposition of the Crown Prince?

He Shi Zhao’s stunned eyes fly to the narrow gap between the doors of the city gate where an expressionless Xu Chang Ping is standing. From his expression, he sees—

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, bluehibiscus said:

Are you referring to the script that didn’t make it to screen or the second season? If the latter, there are twelve 30-min episodes. At this length, there are obviously still cuts.

I guess the second season? I saw some new episodes released on YouTube? I guess that one. Thanks^^ 

From the script revealed by the author of the first season.

32: Night. Outside Yi De Palace

A whistling sound.

A straight line rises till the middle of the air before exploding into fireworks.

Numerous fireworks follow, one after another.

The blooming fireworks illuminate the roof of Yi De Palace.

33: Night. Outside Yan An Palace

In a change of clothing, the Emperor heads out.

Chen Jin follows behind.

Under the fireworks, the Emperor sees the figure of Li Chong Kui kneeling at the bottom of the stairs.

His hands are bearing something (Ding Quan’s bloodstained inner garment).

After observing the Emperor’s expression, Chen Jin goes to take the object and spreads it out.

In horror, he displays the bloodied garnent to the Emperor: Your Majesty? This is—

A shower of fireworks vanishes at that instant. 

The Emperor pauses his footsteps. 

He reaches out and grabs the garment with one hand. 

After an instant of pause, the fireworks overhead bloom anew.

The Emperor casually throws the bloodied garment back to Chen Jin.

He continues walking. 

Behind the Emperor, in antithesis to his figure, Li Chong Kui draws his sword and aims it horizontally at his own throat.

• Like 3

@Cdrama @PPB

Hope this helps you in understanding Ep 1. I can't guarantee I can continue the transcript for the other episodes as it is really time-consuming. I only did a fast read through so there are probably some mistakes I didn't catch.

--------------------------------------------------

Royal Nirvana Season 2

Ep 1 Transcript (By Bluehibiscus. Pls do not repost without my permission)

Recap of previous events.

Xu: The twelfth day of the first lunar month was his birthday. Yanzuo Palace was his Dong Gong (the residence of the Crown Prince). The Crown Prince Woods has the tree he planted.

He was once the Crown Prince, this country's monarch-in-waiting...and also my father.

Black iron melts
A phoenix emerges
Golden bell hangs
Bronze mirror is cast
The beauty looks back
Who does she favour/choose?

Subtitles: Xiao  Ding Quan. Current CP. The monarch-in-waiting caught between his father the Emperor and his uncle.

Empress Zhao: CP Min's name was Duo which stands for bell.  His Majesty's name was Jian which stands for mirror. The name of a person really...the one called Duo was really given death by hanging by a length of white cloth. The one called Jian...

Xu: Official, Xu Chang Ping, pays respect to Your Majesty.

Emperor: How old are you?

Xu: I am 23. My ancestors hail from Yue Yang.

Emperor: A great place. A great age. [You have] Great looks too.

Xu (Off-screen): My uncle, Xiao Rui Jian, is unaware of my birth. Naturally he doesn't know that my entering Yan An Palace and standing before him is to prove my existence.

Emperor: Come, come, come. (Placing Xu's hand over CP's) In future, you can interact/compare notes more with CP. [You] will be more beneficial for him than other people will be.

There is an awkward moment before Xu carefully withdraws his hand and salutes CP.

Xu: My slow-witted self (a modest way of referring to himself) will do my utmost until my death.
CP (courteously): I very much look forward to it.

Xu (Off-screen): My cousin Xiao Ding Quan. Although we share the same royal bloodline and are more suited to become enemies, I never expected him to appear at the viewing tower above the city wall. To protect the group of young scholars, he threw down a jade fish that symbolises the authority of the Son of Heaven and roared out a promise that's the complete opposite of the royal edict. He was shouting so hoarsely with all his might, staking everything on one throw. Seeing him standing erect in his robe of red above the high city walls, his figure so aloof, clean, and resolute...In that instant, it felt like I was seeing the father I had never met. If he were to become Crown Prince and stand in a dangerous tower, he would probably also make the same choice.

Dian Shuai: Your Majesty, they are outside.

Emperor: Who are they?

(Cut) A group of officials from Yu Shi Tai are kneeling before Dan Feng Gate.

Emperor: What do they want?

Dian Shuai: They are requesting for the immediate release of the Crown Prince and for the Three Legal Divisions to take over the case.

Emperor: Are they requesting or requiring?

Dian Shuai (after a moment of hesitation): Requesting.

Emperor: Chong Kui, what do you say? Are they doing this to uphold the country's laws or are they followers of the Crown Prince?

Xu pauses in the motion of placing a lid over a box.

Xu (Off-screen): Thankfully, Xiao Rui Jian is cold-blooded and suspicious by nature.

(Cut) The doors of Dan Feng Gate swing open to reveal Xu Chang Ping  delivering an edict accompanied by two attendants.

Xu (Off-screen):
In the past, he relied on the Gu Family to ascend the throne but now he is worried about them becoming too arrogant and challenging his authority because of the military power they hold and harming the country.

Xu (Off-screen): With Gu Silin as his uncle, treacherous official Zhang Luzheng as his father-in-law and ambitious Prince Qi as his elder brother, he and the Emperor can only be sovereign and subject, not father and son.

Xu: The Son of Heaven declares, Zhan Shi Fu* and Liang Chun Fang* cannot excuse themselves from blame for the Crown Prince's error. Twenty-six officials are hereby removed from office.

The Son of Heaven declares, Vice-Minister of the Ministry of Justice, Du Heng, confessed to fawning over the Crown Prince and playing with judicial laws. He will be imprisoned and investigated.

The Son of Heaven declares, Deng Hua Palace Noble Consort Zhao has served me for twenty years. She is kind and virtuous and has never committed any wrong. In view that Zhong Gong (Empress' residence/position)has been vacant for years which is not beneficial to my family, she is hereby conferred Empress!

*Offices under Dong Fu. Dong Fu was the name of the residence of the Crown Prince and a term that could also be used to refer to the Crown Prince. In feudal times, to consolidate the centralisation of power as well as to secure the country's stability, a set of offices/official posts was established whose mandate are to educate, guide and protect the Crown Prince.

Emperor: The Crown Prince requests me to be a sovereign with principles but the principles in my heart, how can he understand? He doesn't understand!

Emperor:  As long as the blood of Gu flows in him, no matter whether he is willing or not, he can only become the chip in the standoff between the Xiaos and Gus. In this way, generation after generation, the same situation will continue in a never-ending vicious cycle. How can we jump out of this? After Li Baizhou, no one must be able to compete against the power of the Emperor. After Gu Silin, Gu Feng En must not be allowed to set up a separatist regime. Regardless of his willingness, I  will not allow these to continue.  

Emperor: "Impartial ruler obedient official/subject, kind father filial son." I don't need such empty words. I want future rulers, no matter who they are, to be able to tread on the path I have cleared. In future when they stand here facing my portrait, I want their hearts to be filled, not with resentment but with gratitude. I want to consolidate/secure the power.

Xu (Off-screen): First the jade fish then the seal to supervise the country. Each time Xiao Rui Jian delegates his power, it is a form of test for the Crown Prince and a form of torture for his son's heart. However, the Crown Prince constantly touches his ni lin  (a scale that grows in the reverse direction, the equivalent of a raw nerve) with no sign of giving up. He continues to yearn for affection from his exceedingly cold-blooded Emperor father.

Xu (Off-screen): The Crown Prince studied under renowned teachers and possesses exceptional intelligence. After only a few rounds, he perceived I had intentions that were impossible to guess at and easily estranged me and the Emperor with a piece of handwritten letter.

Xu: Your Highness did not copy the contents, but submitted the handwritten letter as is [to the Emperor].

CP: And then?

Xu: And then the former Secretary returned from his mourning period and I could only hand over all the duties.

CP: So you've come here to accuse me after losing your post. (Gesturing) You may pour yourself a cup.

CP: (Sighs) But Zhang Lu Zheng got off lightly.

Xu (Watching CP's expression covertly): Did Zhang Lu Zheng really get off lightly?

CP turns his head and gives Xu an enigmatic look, neither confirming nor denying.

Xu: Like the crouching tiger and the hunching racoon (they assume these postures before attacking/grabbing), Your Highness was not afraid but conserving your energy and enduring until the end before making your move in public. Not only did it leave His Majesty with no room to refuse, but by taking first before giving, showing kindness and power in equal measures, Minister Zhang must have broken into tears of gratitude.

CP: He did break into tears but I'm not sure if it was in gratitude.

Xu: Is it to protect the General?

CP: You guessed wrongly. Punish yourself by drinking a cup of wine. It's not for the General; it's for Uncle.

Xu (Off-screen): Thinking back, my heart must have attached itself to him then. After all, we have the same bloodline and a heart full of passions that refuse to be extinguished by darkness. I declined to be recruited by him. Also, we could not become bosom buddies. Separating us will always be the wide gulf of blood and hatred between our fathers. I even despised myself for that moment of weakness and confusion. I could not wait to return to my hometown. I needed to figure out once again who I am and my return path.

Xu (Off-screen): This time, my trip home changed everything. My long-confused mother miraculously became lucid and told me about the long-buried matters of the past. I finally found out my birth mother and his birth mother, Xiao Jing Empress, had deep affinity. He is indeed the son of my enemy, but he is also the descendant of my benefactor. Like the flowers of Tang Di (oriental bush cherry) blooming vividly(the flowers grow in clusters reminding the poet of brothers), there is no bond closer than brothers. We aren't enemies. It turns out we are brothers.

Xu: The newly appointed registrar of Zhan Shi Fu, Xu Chang Ping, has come to pay respects to Your Highness.

Xu (Off-screen): In this way, I attempted to make amends, to provide checks and balances. I also tried to gain his trust. On Mid-Autumn night, that folksong related to my father was unexpectedly sung during the banquet in the Palace. Faced with the Emperor's wrath, the Crown Prince once again put himself forward. However, I discovered that the uncle he wanted to protect at all cost was the one to cast him into the marsh of sin. Wu De Hou left the city, watching and waiting to see what happened, his intentions to rebel as clear as day.

Wenxi: Golden bell hangs, bronze mirror is cast. The reason we didn't manage to see [the lanterns] last time was because we heard this song, right? The dragon has a ni lin. Whoever touches it dies for sure, what more the ni lin of all ni lin? For the sake of your uncle, even knowing you will die, you still went ahead and touched it. Why? Now I understand. But such an uncle, [despite] knowing the matter carries certain death, is still willing to let Your Highness take sole responsibility. Why?

CP: What do you mean by why?

Wenxi: Just now, I met up with Registrar Xu.

CP: Xu Chang Ping.

Wenxi: Without that song, there wouldn't have been that incident on the night of Mid-Autumn Festival; there wouldn't have been the things that followed— and certainly not the matters of tonight. So all this time, Registrar Xu has been investigating who the initiator is.

CP: Isn't the initiator—?

Xu: I've not managed to find out who the initiator is but I learnt something today which is inexplicable...

Wenxi: He hasn't found the initiator but he learnt from Wu De Hou's personal attendant that he had heard this song the day before Mid-Autumn Festival, before he left the city.

CP: Then why—

Wenxi: Why didn't he mention a single word of it to Your Highness? What does he actually know? What does he wish to keep from Your Highness? In a matter of certain death, he allowed Your Highness to take responsibility all by yourself, leading to the situation today. What is the exact reason?

CP (turns and looks towards the door): Uncle....

CP: You dare to say it again.

Wenxi: Uncle, is he really the uncle you imagine him to be?

(Cut)
Servant: My Lord.

Gu Silin (Mounts a horse): Has the Emperor arrived? (Servant nods in the affirmative) Emperor... (Rides off)

(Cut)

CP: You dare to say it again, you say he—

Konghe Guard: Your Highness, His Majesty has arrived.

CP: Xu Chang Ping, you all, on what basis do you slander—

Konghe Guard: His Majesty summons Your Highness to go to the front court posthaste.

CP (Ignoring the guard): Say it clearly. What did you say Wu De Hou wants to do? Are you aware that slandering the nation's cornerstone is a crime punishable by the death of your clan?

Konghe Guard: Your Highness is defying the edict?

2 Konghe Guards move to grab the arms of CP.

CP: Presumptuous! Let go!

CP: What does Xu Chang Ping know? What grounds does he have to slander Wu De Hou? What do you know to allow you to slander him? Even if you—even if you are—even if—

Wenxi: Who I am, what I say, they are of no use. I understand such an uncle, compared to other people and things, is naturally more important. But what if compared to the teachings of the saints and your teacher? What if compared to the dignity and duties of a monarch, Your Royal Highness, Xiao Ding Quan?

Xu (Off-screen): The survival of the empire of the Xiaos hangs by a thread. A game of life and death. Having learnt of the truth in advance, what I should have done was sit aside on a wall and observe the fight between the dragon and the tiger. However, in the end I still requested Gu Neiren to convey the truth to His Highness.

When the bloody outer garment of affection has been peeled off, a tear is imaginable. But what I'm more interested to know is how he will choose. I come from the world and share the same worries and sufferings as the people. Does he, given his lofty position in court, have a big heart? Is his heart inclined towards the people? His choice is his belief and his belief is the source of my confidence to follow him from now on.

Youming: Your Highness, Registrar Xu has travelled to the residence according to your order. Your Highness, what are you—?

CP: Tonight, there is something I have to clear up.

(Flashback begins)
Wenxi: Just now, I met up with Registrar Xu.
CP: Xu Chang Ping.
Wenxi: He hasn't found the initiator but he learnt from Wu De Hou's personal attendant that he had heard this song the day before Mid-Autumn Festival, before he left the city.
(Flashback ends)

Xu: What is the important matter that Your Highness wishes for me to come here to discuss?

CP: I desire to keep Registrar Xu in the Palace for a few days. After much consideration, this is the best place.

Xu (surveying the surrounding): If Your Highness has something to say, just say it. Why is there a need to do this?

CP: Patience, Registrar Xu. First spend a few days here reading at your leisure.

Xu: Your Highness, please hold your steps. I have a request.

CP: Speak.

Xu: On account of my service to you for quite some time, may I implore Your Highness not to send men to Yuezhou to disturb my ailing mother?

CP: If Registrar Xu were my enemy, it would be a terrifying thing (as he can read his mind).

Xu: I'm ashamed.

CP: Xu Chang Ping, who are you really?

Xu: Why does Your Highness ask such a question?

CP: Previously, in the case of the folksong, you assisted Gu Shi to expose to me that Wu De Hou had knowledge of the song but concealed it. Now, how about you tell me why you betrayed me during the Spring Exams and then secretly helped me in the case of the folksong?

Xu: I have nothing to say.

CP: Cut off his food and drink until he speaks.

(Subtitles: Lu Ying's eldest daughter, Lu Wenxi)

Wenxi wakes up to find herself all alone.

Xi Xiang: Sister, you're awake. Are you cold? This place cannot compare to Dong Gong. And it's not yet the charcoal burning season. Why don't I get you some hot water?

Wenxi nods in agreement.

The doors open. Someone enters and closes the doors.

Wenxi: Xi Xiang, you're back so soon—

(Subtitles: Chang He, attendant at the residence of Zhao Wang 5th Prince)

Chang He: I am Chang He. Here to see Gu Guniang.

Wenxi: Are you sent by Wu Dawang?

Chang He: Chang An has been sent by His Highness to Changzhou recently so Wu Dawang got me to come check on you. Wu Dawang told me, to avoid the Dong Gong Guards at the front, I could enter and exit using the backdoor of Lu Residence.

Wenxi: The matter I entrusted to Wu Dawang—

Chang He: The matter you entrusted to Wu Dawang before entering the Palace, Wu Dawang has already deployed men to get it done.

(Flashback begins)

Wenxi: This time when I see the Emperor, I'm afraid it does not bode well. If possible, can I request Wu Dawang to inform His Highness to take good care of my brother, Lu Wenjin? He's currently at Li Cishi's home.

Wu Dawang: That is inadvisable. Li Cishi has been holding Wu De Hou in check for so long. How can he possibly agree to CP's request on this matter?

Wenxi: Then I can only entrust this to Wu Dawang. He is my only relative left.
(Flashback ends)

Chang He: Dawang is aware you are a cautious person so he specially asked me to bring a letter for your perusal.

Wenxi opens the sealed letter and reads it.

Chang He: Have you taken a good look?

Wenxi: It is Wu Dawang's handwriting. The colour of the stamp is also the one we agreed upon.

Chang He: It's good that you've taken a good look. (Holds out his palms to indicate she should return the letter)

Chang He: Wu Dawang has another matter on which he would like you to indicate your response.

Wenxi: What instruction does Wu Dawang have? You may tell me straight.

Chang He: It's no big matter. It's still, "Be it the guest room of [Zhao] Wang Fu or Changzhou, as long as you wish to go, Wu Dawang can make the arrangement." Only....

Wenxi: Only what?

Chang He: When your surname is no longer Gu, what identity will you use to remain by His Highness' side?

Wenxi's eyes widen.

CP enters Lu Residence and spies Chang He leaving Wenxi's room. Youming, head of Dong Gong Guards, is about to call out to him but CP stops him. He proceeds to enter Wenxi's room.

Wenxi: Your Highness.

CP: Are you feeling well? Why does it look like—?

Wenxi: It's nothing. Perhaps I caught a chill from last night.

CP: It's my fault. I'll get the Imperial Physician to come and have a look at you. Just nice, I've brought you something. Eating it should bring some relief. (Scooping up a spoonful of the milk) Open your mouth.

CP feeds Wenxi.

CP: When I was young, I loved falling sick the most.

Wenxi: Why?

CP: Because when I was sick, I didn't have to study and there were all these things to eat. My mother usually didn't allow me to eat cooling food.

Wenxi: What happened after that?

CP: If you want to find out what happened afterwards, finish eating first.

Wenxi obediently finishes the bowl of milk. CP takes out a handkerchief and dabs at her mouth.

CP: Then I grew up and realised these were just ways to make a child happy. They could no longer make me happy so I stopped eating. What about you? Will you feel happy after eating?

Wenxi: I know Your Highness is trying to make me happy. But...Thank you, Your Highness.

CP: Prince Qi has departed for his vassal state. If you have any difficulty, you must let me know. Although I may not be the most respectable Crown Prince, I'm still the Crown Prince. As long as you say it, I will think of a way to help you.

(Flashback begins)
Chang He: Last time, when you begged Wu Dawang to get you into the Palace you didn't mention it was to accuse Guang Chuan Jun (Prince Qi). A former Bao Ben Palace maid joining forces with the younger biological brother of Guang Chuan Jun. Who knows how His Majesty will regard this matter?
(Flashback ends)

CP: You still resent me for what happened to your father and brother?

(Flashback begins)
Chang He: If Guniang assumes your identity of Lu Wenxi, then Wu Dawang will really be proven guilty of deceiving the sovereign. The consequence can be as light as a beating or as heavy as losing his life.
(Flashback ends)

CP: I know you still have a younger brother in Changzhou. What do you think of my getting someone to bring him to the capital so you siblings can reunite?

(Flashback begins)
Guniang should be well aware of how well Wu Dawang has treated you. He has never imposed on your friendship to ask for anything. Today, it is only because his life is in danger that he is asking you to think twice.
(Flashback ends)

Wenxi: I...

CP: Alright, I will get Xi Xiang to prepare you for rest.

He is about to leave but pauses. Turning around, he gives her a hug.

CP: No matter what, you must get well soon. We still have many things to do together. All right?        

CP leaves the room. Wenxi buries her head in her arms.

Youming: Your Highness, looks like Gu Guniang does not just have Guang Chuan Jun behind her back. Do you want to investigate the person we saw just now?

CP: It's not necessary.

Eunuch Wang bursts into the room.

Wang: Your Highness, this—

CP: He says his mother was originally an attendant of my mother. You served my mother for the longest time so I asked you over to verify his claims.

Wang: Where do we start? Registrar Xu, which attendant was your mother?

Xu: My mother's surname is Song. Twenty-seven years ago, she followed the late Empress when she married into Su Wang Fu. Seventeen years ago, she lost her senses and was granted permission by the late Empress to leave the Palace.

Wang: There was indeed an attendant by the surname of Song serving the late Empress. But how can she be the mother of Registrar Xu? Registrar Xu is older than His Highness by a few years. The [timeline] doesn't fit.

Xu: My mother became pregnant when she was in Su Wang Fu. The late Empress was understanding and hid my mother in the Palace until her labour. I was sent to Yuezhou immediately after I was born and raised by the Xu Family. Later on, my mother lost her mind because she missed me too much and could no longer serve the late Empress.

Wang: I remember now. After the death of Princess Ningguo, all the servants involved were sent to Gong Zheng Si for sentencing. It was only because of the late Empress' kind-heartedness that they were released. Among them were Jiang Shang Gong and Song Neiren.

Xu: After leaving the Palace, my mother was sent to Yuezhou and entered the nunnery as a concubine of the Xu Family. I was then able to perform my filial duties. However, she remained confused and unable to remember the past. It was only several months before when I went home to visit my mother that her mind became lucid. In gratitude for the late Empress' kindness, she ordered me to take a vow to repay the debt. When my mother left the Palace, she took along some old acessories which have been worshipped all this while in the Huiqing Nunnery in Yuezhou. I suppose Your Highness has already located them.

CP: Youming.

Youming enters, bearing a tray of accessories. Wang Wong examines the accessories and gives CP a nod of confirmation.

CP rises and offers a hand which Xu does not take.

CP: You say your mother asks you to repay the kindness. Why then did you not speak of it before?

Xu: Formerly I mistakenly thought that my mother's affliction was because the late Empress tortured her. I worked in secret against Your Highness, which led to my repaying kindness with ingratitude before and after entering officialdom. I even worked in cahoots with Li Baizhou. Although I returned to the correct path later on, the wrong had been committed and I feel a sense of guilt towards Your Highness. My wish is to return home to take care of my mother after repaying the kindness. I did not intend to inform Your Highness of this matter.

Youming: He passed out.

CP: Summon the Imperial Physician.

Wang: Your Highness, should we send him out of the Palace?

Attendant Chang An gives the sleeping Xu a look.

CP: Let him sleep. Give him a bath after he wakes. He can change into my clothes.

Xu (Off-screen): My mother was just an attendant of the late Empress but my father was the brother of the current Emperor. And I should have been....after so many happenings, there are some words I am too ashamed to say. Now my only wish is to assist His Highness to achieve his dreams of a peaceful country. That way, I would have lived up to my father's hopes and not let the late Empress's kindness down. I only hope in future when His Highness finds out the truth, he can understand my reasons for keeping this from him.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

@bluehibiscus

I totally understand and really really appreciate your time and effort on the translation. The translation is really beautiful and the story is really wonderful. It is one the best tv drama and my favorite thus far.

May I ask what is the meaning of the number in front of the script? I tried to relate to the episode in the series but it doesnt seem to match?

btw, the scene between CP and Xu on the boat would be nice if it gets to release :)

Thank you very much as always!!

• Like 2

@Cdrama

I know, I’m also quite confused by the numbering. The number can either be the episode number or a part within an episode.

It would have been clearer if she had used the format of Episode-Part. I think these are drafts so the formatting is not standardised as it would have been in the final printed copy.

Also, in general, the episode number in the script will not tally with the drama episode number. An episode in the script is about 1.5-2 episodes in the drama.

I agree the Mid-Autumn boat scene is fabulous but I don’t believe it was ever shot as they used another script by then. Xu has some of the best lines.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 2:39 PM, sirisyria said:

I have already finished the novel and watched the whole series, all I can say is both of them are masterpieces. Despite rich-layered of the story, i still can't understand some details of the story, so I have a flavor to ask you one thing.

Hide contents

In the special episode 4, Wenxi was gifted as a consort then the CP immediately made an announcement that she is sick and didn't visit her for 4 years. 

What is the CP's purpose for doing such a thing? 

Thank you in advance and I'm so sorry for my broken English 

It is to protect her as he knows there is someone controlling her. If she is not a favoured concubine and isolated from the rest, then she would be of no use to the person who wishes to make use of her to get information. If she is still contacted, they can track down the person as she is under supervision.

The prescription is a hidden letter: Although separated by many gates in the Palace, do not worry and take good care of yourself. The weather is cold. It is good to rest quietly and recuperate. Get through this endless winter without a care. I am not worried about you. I know what is on your mind. I will not come and disturb you.

重楼 忘忧 防风 

雪见 当归 忍冻 

无患子 莲子心 

马蹄细辛 王不留行

23-D7-C375-59-F1-49-AE-812-B-00-A5-BA915

• Love 2
  • Insightful 1

For some reason I've just seen this amazing and brilliant translation. Many thanks @bluehibiscus it is a massive work and we really, really appreciate your taking time to do it. Now I can understand so much more (I think I got the main gist, but it was all a bit blurry...) of this intricate and beautiful story, which is my absolute favourite still.

It seems that our CP finally has an ally/friend.... 

• Like 1

I haven't been actively participating in this forum -- but thanks @bluehibiscus for providing us with translations and context.

Good news too for those of us who don't speak Mandarin -- up to 6 episodes have been subbed on YT! (Sorry if this has been mentioned here before).

Just turn on the CC & pick the language.

• Like 1

To those new to this thread, there is a post on pg 58 that lists the pages on which you can find the various topics of discussion and you can jump in based on your interest.

If you read any of my translation posts, please click on the icon on the bottom right to select your reaction so that I know how many people are reading them. Thanks.

006UEmLPly1gjfjiddm8cj31900u0b2c.jpg

Spoiler

006UEmLPly1gjfjic0e5qj31hb0u0e83.jpg

006UEmLPly1gjfjibmsy2j31fs0u0kjn.jpg

006UEmLPly1gjfjiadkbhj31cp0u07wj.jpg

006UEmLPly1gjfjibdgzpj31cc0u01kz.jpg

006UEmLPly1gjfjidfzigj31gs0u0npg.jpg

• Like 3