[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

Announcement of Bie Yunjian on the official Weibo account. No exact date given but it might come out a year after the main series aired.

Translation: Huating hopes for/expects matters in Yunjian. Let’s anticipate/await, anticipate/await!

An opportune encounter one autumn, the crane duo disappear among the clouds. Congratulations (pun on the character for “congrats” which has the same sound as “crane”), Bie Yunjian is here! Crane lovers can click on the link to make reservations.

Words in the photos:

CP: How about we go make reservations?

Wenxi: See how adorable I am, have you made reservations?

Xu: You make the reservations first. I will come after I finish writing.

Feng En: What?! Reservations are available for Bie Yunjian?

p31603814.jpg

• Love 2

p341221651.jpg

Analysis of the title 别云间1 (literial translation: Disappear Among the Clouds*/ Farewell to Yunjian1/Parting from Yunjian1) . It was a poem by young Ming Dynasty hero Xia Wanchun:

三年2羁旅3客,今日又南冠4
无限山河泪,谁言天地宽?
已知泉路5近,欲别故乡难。
毅魄6归来日,灵旗7空际看。

Three years2 being a vagrant away from home3 [to fight against the Qing], today a prisoner4.

Perpetual tears (means he was deeply pained) over [the fall of] the mountains and rivers, who dares to say the world is large (expressing his anger to the heavens)?

Aware that the path to death5 is close, it’s difficult to say goodbye forever to my hometown.

On the day the resilient soul6 returns, the soul flag7 will view [the mountains and rivers of the hometown] from the sky (means watch from above those who carry on his mission).

* Besides being the name of his hometown, Yunjian can mean among the clouds. Hence, the poem has a double meaning, implying he was a dragon (hero) disappearing among the clouds.

1. 云间:上海松江区古称云间,是作者家乡。永历元年/顺治四年(1647年),他在这里被逮捕。Yunjian was the olden name of Songjiang district, Shanghai and the hometown of the poet. He was arrested there in 1647.
  2. 三年:作者自弘光元年/顺治二年(1645年)起,参加抗清斗争,出入于太湖及其周围地区,至顺治四年(1647年),共三年。The poet joined the fight against Qing government in 1645. He was active in Taihu and the surrounding areas till his arrest in 1647.
  3. 羁(jī)旅:寄居他乡,生活飘泊不定。羁:停留。 Being away from his hometown, leading an insecure vagrant life.
  4. 南冠(guān),被囚禁的人。语出《左传》。楚人钟仪被俘,晋侯见他戴着楚国的帽子,问左右的人:“南冠而絷者,谁也?”后世以“南冠”代被俘。A hat from the South. Refers to a prisoner.
  5. 泉路:黄泉路,死路。泉,黄泉,指人死后埋葬的地穴。Path to death/one’s grave.
  6. 毅魄,坚强不屈的魂魄,语出屈原《九歌.国殇》:“身即死兮神以灵,魂魄毅兮为鬼雄。”。A resilient soul. It indicates he will never give up on saving his country.
  7. 灵旗,又叫魂幡,古代招引亡魂的旗子。这里指后继者的队伍。A flag that summons the soul of the deceased. Here it refers to the contingent who continues the work/mission of the deceased.
  • Love 2

Beautiful video clips, thank you. Yes, you can see the way he holds himself is really magnificent, very regal. 

Thank you so much for all this information and translation @bluehibiscus, wonderful as always. We're so lucky to have you here. (on a different note, the 'ke dai de yi si' gave me  lots of trouble when trying to translate it...!) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PPB said:

Thank you so much for all this information and translation @bluehibiscus, wonderful as always. We're so lucky to have you here. (on a different note, the 'ke dai de yi si' gave me  lots of trouble when trying to translate it...!) 

可待 is a classic case of 2 simple characters put together that can carry multiple meanings depending on the context.

• Insightful 1

yes, a classic case.... so... if I remember correctly, it was (sorry, can't do the characters, I hope you know which)

" Hui you zhe me yi tian de, A Bao... ke dai de yi si, bu ying gai shi,  ke dai zhui yi er.... Qing ni, zai dang dang wo."  How would you translate that? My version is "we will meet again A Bao, if you are willing to wait for your wish/desire..you should not be willing to remember/recall....(this bit I'm not sure about) but yet.... please keep waiting for me."

8 hours ago, PPB said:

yes, a classic case.... so... if I remember correctly, it was (sorry, can't do the characters, I hope you know which)

" Hui you zhe me yi tian de, A Bao... ke dai de yi si, bu ying gai shi,  ke dai zhui yi er.... Qing ni, zai dang dang wo."  How would you translate that? My version is "we will meet again A Bao, if you are willing to wait for your wish/desire..you should not be willing to remember/recall....(this bit I'm not sure about) but yet.... please keep waiting for me."

Which episode is the first line from?

Such a day will come, Ah Bao.

The second and third lines should be from when he was at her residence with her father and she was hidden from view.

The meaning of ke dai should not be something to relive in memory but... [something to anticipate] please wait for me.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

Which episode is the first line from?

Such a day will come, Ah Bao.

The second and third lines should be from when he was at her residence with her father and she was hidden from view.

The meaning of ke dai is something to anticipate, not something to relive in memory. Please wait for me.

Sorry, should have specified it, these three sentences are spoken at the very end of the last episode, (39 minutes into the ep), after we see Wenxi  pregnant, saying he didn't keep his promise. It's a voice over while looking at the beautiful scenery, the pavillion, and the cranes flying. 

@PPB Hi, the second and third lines are indeed from Ep 11 and are identical. In my translation, I added a bit of extra, now indicated by square brackets, to make it easier to understand. As for the first line, right before that, Wenxi was saying CP had to make it up to her for not keeping his promise so it was a direct reply of sorts (the reason why I say ‘of sorts’ is because it is clearly a line taken from some other scene). The second and third lines were probably inserted to make it seem like he was asking her (and indirectly the viewers) to wait a while more.

可待追忆 comes from 此情可待追忆 只是当时已惘然 which has a number of different interpretations but the common one is that a relationship has ended and can only be relived in one’s memory. Despite knowing that the happy times can never return, remembering the relationship makes one feel at a loss and melancholic.

In the context of the original poem, the usage of certain words were different in the olden days. 可 was used to express “how can” or “why...” and 只是 was not used to introduce contrasting ideas so the poet was believed to be saying:

1) This feeling is not something that arises only upon recollection of the past. I was already feeling sad, lost and confused at that time!

2) That beautiful thing/time can only become a part of memory but at that time (in the past), he thought it was ordinary and did not appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Luojin, Li Yitong, Wang Jingsong and Huang Zhizhong are all nominated for The Actors of China 2020 (the Chinese name literally means Good Chinese Television Actor). If you have a Weibo account, do vote for them. Each person can cast a maximum of 6 votes per male/female group per day of the poll from 15 Sep 24:00 to 16 Oct 00:00.

Male Blue Group:

https://m.weibo.cn/p/index?containerid=231610_standard_cardlist_5665_yanyuan_index&ext=231610_5665_index&luicode=10000011&lfid=231522type%3D1%26t%3D10%26q%3D%23中国电视好演员%23

Female Green Group: https://m.weibo.cn/p/index?containerid=231610_standard_cardlist_5670_yanyuan_index&ext=231610_5670_index&luicode=10000011&lfid=231522type%3D1%26t%3D10%26q%3D%23中国电视好演员%23

87024379ly1gir759p8txj20ds7dd7wh.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Edited: In Jiang’s first-person epilogue written by the author, she passed the blame for the death of CP’s sister and unborn child to “Shao Si Ming”, a god in charge of mortals’ fortune, misfortune, progeny, romance and marriage. This god was mentioned in “Nine Songs”, a set of poems by Qu Yuan.

• Insightful 1

17 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Luojin, Li Yitong, Wang Jingsong and Huang Zhizhong are all nominated for The Actors of China 2020 (the Chinese name literally means Good Chinese Television Actor). If you have a Weibo account, do vote for them. Each person can cast a maximum of 6 votes per male/female group per day of the poll from 15 Sep 24:00 to 16 Oct 00:00.

OMG, thanks for the info! I won't be able to vote for them, but it feels great to know their works have been recognized (Li Yitong in particular, since she's the most junior among the rest mentioned here).

• Like 2