[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Also. I must admit, while Feng Jiu has to recover her dignity, hasn’t Nie Chuyin been beaten up enough! Sure he is scum, but she admittedly should have been smarter before exchange her furs for a dubious deal.

The reason was that Nie Chuyin grossly cheated the Qing Qiu princess when she wanted to help DH. That's also how she was outsmarted, when Nie Chuyin played with her emotions.

Remember, she's the only nine-tailed red fox, even Nie Chuyin would know who she is. He then took her fur, and along with it her magic and capability to speak for three years, while he lent her half his cultivation for only half day in the drama.

IMO, Nie Chuyin was not yet beaten enough as he wasn't half-dead, compared to the injuries FJ suffered from Suoying as a powerless fox.

• Insightful 1

Again, the hackneyed theme of changing the memory of Feng-Ju. I don't mind in principle that this point is not in the dramatic version, but why they decided not to include it, I can't understand. Once again, I notice that the dramatic versions try to smooth or whitewash the actions of the main characters, although in the books everything is much worse than we are shown. Sometimes this can lead to illogical actions of the main characters (for example, "the General and I"). Personally, I don't like that according to the Book, DH just changes FJ's memory, and I don't need to say that it was in order to save fate. FJ already loved him and would have forgiven him if he'd explained everything to her properly. But there was no explanation and I am infuriated by the accusation that she did not wait for the DH. No one wants to put themselves in her place as it was difficult for her to raise a child alone. But they arranged a parent meeting and scolded Bai Feng.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Natalie1999 said:

Again, the hackneyed theme of changing the memory of Feng-Ju. I don't mind in principle that this point is not in the dramatic version, but why they decided not to include it, I can't understand.

Drama adaptations will not always include everything that was in the book. This was also supposedly 60 episodes, but censor allowed only 56. Hence, there are scenes in the editing that didn't make the cut.

Apart from that, the author of Pillow Book is also one of the drama scriptwriters.

Once again, I notice that the dramatic versions try to smooth or whitewash the actions of the main characters, although in the books everything is much worse than we are shown. Sometimes this can lead to illogical actions of the main characters (for example, "the General and I").

This would have been decided by the producers though while the script is deliberated. Other than that, it could also be due to revisions in the script as the shooting progressed. And lastly, what were considered post-production after wrapping up filming.

Personally, I don't like that according to the Book, DH just changes FJ's memory, and I don't need to say that it was in order to save fate. FJ already loved him and would have forgiven him if he'd explained everything to her properly

Noting that even if FJ was still in love with him, she has been drawing back from him even before they met at BQ's wedding. She also pretty

much told him that in Aranya's dream when they viewed the blooming Yueling flowers, thinking he was Su Moye, and after the fire, not knowing she was talking to DH as Xi Ze. 

When DH fell in love for the first time with FJ, he has also done a lot of firsts in the process. It was a big learning and humbling experience to the emperor who has been known as the ice faced recluse of Tai Chen palace.

Given that he is not impulsive by nature, DH opted to find means to circumvent Destiny upon learning that the weak fate he and FJ have was not even theirs to begin with. From the beginning, he and FJ were not even supposed to meet at all.

At this point, he hesitated before saying: “In truth, Your Majesty and the young princess are now considered to be destined. But since Your Majesty so inquired, tomorrow the Stone of Destiny will undoubtedly be rewritten. 

It isn't within my ability to know whether or not Your Majesty and the young princess is fated from now on. I just feel that it would be such a pity if this already fragile fate was destroyed because Your Majesty had asked to know about it.” “So what if Destiny says we're fated, and so what if it says we're not?” Donghua coldly replied. “I've never feared Destiny, and I certainly don't need its charity.” (PB2, p349)

LS has advised DH to tell the truth to FJ, but DH thought their destiny was too fragile, and felt that it will be over between them if he tells FJ that the Xi Ze she met in the dream realm was him, and not the actual archmage.

Dijun raised his hand to rub his forehead. “I called for the Stone of Destiny. It said our fate is too fragile and must not be subjected to too much turbulence. Xiao Bai still has some misgivings toward me… at this time if she remembers I was lying to her in Aranya's Dream, I can't say for sure what's going to happen. This is the only risk I don't dare take. No matter how I think about it, this is still the best solution.” (PB2, p354)

But there was no explanation and I am infuriated by the accusation that she did not wait for the DH. No one wants to put themselves in her place as it was difficult for her to raise a child alone. But they arranged a parent meeting and scolded Bai Feng.

In the drama, FJ left after she and ZL went to demon realm to ask for DH's whereabouts, and was not given the complete information by Xuyang. Before that, her parents particularly Bai Yi has already piled pressure to her on why would DH be absent from his own wedding reception. 

In the book, FJ knew he went to see JH at Mt Baishui, as she was there when XY begged for DH's help. For DH to treat the Qiushui poisoning this time around, he can only use the quick method, which is to absorb the toxin to himself. The treatment has taken 6-7days (PB2, p468). 

FJ could have waited if the letters of DH reached ZL and her, explaining the matter and why he couldn't be there. Unfortunately, apart from DH unable to use space folding magic so that he can be in touch with FJ while he's in demon realm, XY was also unable to deliver DH's letters after he was rendered comatose for months by an enemy of his while he was on his way to Bihai Cangling.

Their fate, was really fragile.

As soon as DH left the demon realm, he sensed the impending collapse of Miaoyi Huiming realm. That took him 72 more days of absence as he stabilized it, and by the time he reached Qing Qiu, his pregnant wife FJ has long gone to the mortal realm. 

When she was still in Qing Qiu, her family has not been exactly helpful with how they dealt with DH's prolonged absence. Bai Zhi told FJ that DH chose JH, and that he "heard" that aside from reinstalling her as a demon princess and trading the Miaohua mirror to Xuyang, she didn't look that she was about to die. (PB2, p428)

Though the Bais are right to be angry, the most logical thing to do really was wait for DH to explain his side. They are very loyal to their kin. But Bai Zhi's outburst has only further damaged FJ's already fragile feelings, which was further exacerbated by the early stages of her pregnancy. Had he not let his anger and thoughts of losing face cloud his judgment, Bai Zhi could have confirmed first and thoroughly cross-checked what he heard, before mouthing off DH and JH to FJ. 

Her discovery later on of the manipulation of her memories, and regaining back what she forgot, has indeed made FJ leave. Exactly what DH feared would happen before he altered her mind. 

Two hundred years later, FJ was harshly spoken to by ZL when she broke into Tai Chen palace after hearing that DH chose Ye Qingti to succeed him. By that time, DH was on what would have been his final battle with Miao Luo. It was also due to FJ previously telling DH when they talked that she doesn't want any of the things he was giving her. FJ has been dense not to realise he was bequeathing her his home and the ring made from half his heart, despite she herself sensing that DH was not well.

As DH has not recovered from the Qiushui poisoning, neither has he fully gained back his cultivation. The loyal servant of DH was overwhelmed by emotions as he tells FJ what was in store for his master.

“Repairing the Miaoyi Huiming Realm had depleted half of Dijun's cultivation. Originally, he only needed a century-long sleep to recover, but at the time, Dijun had directed all of the Qiushui poison from Jiheng into his own body. The Qiushui poison will spread to his essence. If he wanted to regain the lost cultivation, it would take at least five times as long. But once the Miaoyi Huiming Realm is stabilized, it could only stay stable for another few centuries, there is fundamentally not enough time for Dijun to recover his cultivation. By the time the Miaoyi Huiming Realm collapses again, Dijun could only use the rest of his cultivation and his entire essence to hold it off. The road awaiting Dijun…” Zhonglin looked up to the sky, unable to finish his sentence. He switched to saying, “Since Dijun is so much smarter than I am, how can he not know which way is better? He only chose to stabilize it because, because he could not bear the thought of not seeing you again when he finally returns to the fairy realm tens of thousands of years from now. Dijun worries that without him here to protect you, you wouldn't be able to pass your divinity trial and would not survive until then. Rather than that, if he dies, he would still have a few hundred years of happiness with you before he passes away. But…” Zhonglin said chokingly, “but you've been gone for the past 200 years.” (PB2, p471)

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Finished episode 9

i love Song Xuan Ren!

we finally see Jiheng’s vanity. Nothing to do in a hut but stare at her reflection. Seriously???

i admit I am disappointed with Feng Jiu’s décision to see Dong Hua. What happened to avoiding him? Besides, he’s supposed to suffer in his trial. Though if she never visited him, she wouldn’t have been able to stop Jiheng.

This is because I just rewatched the scenes where Xuanren dies and cried, but I can’t help wondering, what would Dong Hua do if Feng Jiu suddenly um...wasn’t around anymore? He still has to protect the realm so while he would be in agony, I think he would have also done a Shen Ye and tried to resurrect her.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Finished episode 9

i love Song Xuan Ren!

we finally see Jiheng’s vanity. Nothing to do in a hut but stare at her reflection. Seriously???

i admit I am disappointed with Feng Jiu’s décision to see Dong Hua. What happened to avoiding him? Besides, he’s supposed to suffer in his trial. Though if she never visited him, she wouldn’t have been able to stop Jiheng.

Bagua Si Ming knows when to shut up at least until his hand is forced. What Cheng Yu learned about DH she should not have told Feng Jiu. FJ's desire to pay the debt of gratitude got the better of her, instead of staying away like SM told her.

Though with FJ's assistance the Lingbi stone was safe from Chuwan JH and Long Xian, it was taken by Nie Chuyin when the state of Chen Yu collapsed 10 years after SXR died.

18 minutes ago, Megan said:

This is because I just rewatched the scenes where Xuanren dies and cried, but I can’t help wondering, what would Dong Hua do if Feng Jiu suddenly um...wasn’t around anymore? He still has to protect the realm so while he would be in agony, I think he would have also done a Shen Ye and tried to resurrect her.

He'll likely follow her if resurrection is not possible. Just as she would if he goes. For DH he will sleep for thousands of years. FJ may or may not as she did not ascend yet, or she might have a chance to be reborn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megan said:

Finished episode 10 and I gotta say, i really doubt Jiheng died from a head bonk when she is an immortal.

JH and Lin Xiang aren't really needed in mortal realm. Nie Chuyin was enough there, and only for a couple scenes.

She only fainted, but of course, panicking Emperor of the rival state thought she is.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 3:22 AM, Megan said:

Finished episode 9

i love Song Xuan Ren!

I like SXR too. He is honest, sweet, protective, loyal and forgiving. 

Don't forget, FJ want to pay back her debt. But I think it's partially an excuse. FJ will dive right in, whenever she thinks DH may be endanger, to the point she ignores her own safety.

10 hours ago, Megan said:

Finished episode 10 and I gotta say, i really doubt Jiheng died from a head bonk when she is an immortal.

If only...alot of suffering would have been avoided.

• Awesome 2

Question: when Dong Hua beat up Xiao Yan, when was it exactly? After he lost his fox or soon after he escaped from the ten lotus prison? Because Jiheng did plead for Dong Hua to let him off and he agreed.

And you know how those early episodes had advertisements? One of them was Diliraba sponsoring Feng Jiu clothes? Not sure. There were no subtitles. Does anyone know where I could find them?

47 minutes ago, Megan said:

Question: when Dong Hua beat up Xiao Yan, when was it exactly? After he lost his fox or soon after he escaped from the ten lotus prison? Because Jiheng did plead for Dong Hua to let him off and he agreed.

And you know how those early episodes had advertisements? One of them was Diliraba sponsoring Feng Jiu clothes? Not sure. There were no subtitles. Does anyone know where I could find them?

In the book, there's no such conversation. In the drama DH agreed to let him off in Ep4. But that doesn't mean he and XY can't fight again. LS also said so in Ep26. ^_^

Then he summed it all up with a sense of regret: “Of course you finally broke out of the trap and gave Yan Chiwu such a brutal lesson even his parents couldn't recognize him. But he’s still one of the seven Demon lords. Such disgrace was too much for him to bear. He now wants to have a rematch so he can wipe away the old humiliation.”(PB1, p51)

In the book, he had another duel with XY after DH left baby fox FJ in Tai Chen Palace.

Her cries immediately halted in her throat. Once she stopped, he stepped closer and stroked her head. “Be good and listen to Zhonglin. I’ll come back for you once I take care of everything.” She stared up at him, and at long last finally nodded in defeat. 

Fengjiu sighed. Everything that happened seemed like yesterday. Several days went by but Donghua didn’t come back for her. In the end she couldn't wait anymore and tricked Zhonglin into removing the force field. On her way to look for Donghua, she met Siming at the South Heaven Gate. In the past, she hadn’t thought anything significant could happen in those few days, but now that centuries had passed, she learned from listening to Yan Chiwu that there had been quite a few things which transpired, and they were all significant. 

This was the latter half of the story between herself, Donghua, and Jiheng that she hadn’t known before. 

In the days Donghua went missing, he had gone to look for Warrior Xiao Yan for another duel. Warrior Xiao Yan glossed over this event with careful screening and pruning. Mr. Yan wiped his nose and concluded, “After the fight, he should've scrammed back to where he came from. For what reason did he wander around Mount Baishui?” 

Fengjiu wore a large leaf she found by the cliff-side to keep the blistering sun out. She answered Xiao Yan, “Maybe he had time left after the fight, so he went to Mount Baishui looking for the Longnao plant and the Blue...”

Her words hit a touchy spot in Warrior Xiao Yan's sensitive heart. His angry and hurt eyes pushed back the word ‘lotus’ from coming out of Fengjiu's mouth. 

“Look at my strapping body. Am I a chum in your eyes? How could he go sightseeing after a fight with me?” 

Fengjiu gamely looked back at Xiao Yan. She calmly fixed the leaf atop her head and replied, “Of course not. What I meant was… maybe he went to Mount Baishui looking for herbs to treat his wounds.” (PB1, p133)

LOL. DH actually went to Mt Baishui to look for herbs to treat FJ's wounds. :)

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

In the book, there's no such conversation. In the drama DH agreed to let him off in Ep4. But that doesn't mean he and XY can't fight again. LS also said so in Ep26. ^_^

Then he summed it all up with a sense of regret: “Of course you finally broke out of the trap and gave Yan Chiwu such a brutal lesson even his parents couldn't recognize him. But he’s still one of the seven Demon lords. Such disgrace was too much for him to bear. He now wants to have a rematch so he can wipe away the old humiliation.”(PB1, p51)

In the book, he had another duel with XY after DH left baby fox FJ in Tai Chen Palace.

Her cries immediately halted in her throat. Once she stopped, he stepped closer and stroked her head. “Be good and listen to Zhonglin. I’ll come back for you once I take care of everything.” She stared up at him, and at long last finally nodded in defeat. 

Fengjiu sighed. Everything that happened seemed like yesterday. Several days went by but Donghua didn’t come back for her. In the end she couldn't wait anymore and tricked Zhonglin into removing the force field. On her way to look for Donghua, she met Siming at the South Heaven Gate. In the past, she hadn’t thought anything significant could happen in those few days, but now that centuries had passed, she learned from listening to Yan Chiwu that there had been quite a few things which transpired, and they were all significant. 

This was the latter half of the story between herself, Donghua, and Jiheng that she hadn’t known before. 

In the days Donghua went missing, he had gone to look for Warrior Xiao Yan for another duel. Warrior Xiao Yan glossed over this event with careful screening and pruning. Mr. Yan wiped his nose and concluded, “After the fight, he should've scrammed back to where he came from. For what reason did he wander around Mount Baishui?” 

Fengjiu wore a large leaf she found by the cliff-side to keep the blistering sun out. She answered Xiao Yan, “Maybe he had time left after the fight, so he went to Mount Baishui looking for the Longnao plant and the Blue...”

Her words hit a touchy spot in Warrior Xiao Yan's sensitive heart. His angry and hurt eyes pushed back the word ‘lotus’ from coming out of Fengjiu's mouth. 

“Look at my strapping body. Am I a chum in your eyes? How could he go sightseeing after a fight with me?” 

Fengjiu gamely looked back at Xiao Yan. She calmly fixed the leaf atop her head and replied, “Of course not. What I meant was… maybe he went to Mount Baishui looking for herbs to treat his wounds.” (PB1, p133)

LOL. DH actually went to Mt Baishui to look for herbs to treat FJ's wounds. :)

Dong Hua, Dong Hua, treat your pet first then go brawling. Xiao Yan isn’t going anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

6 minutes ago, Megan said:

Dong Hua, Dong Hua, treat your pet first then go brawling. Xiao Yan isn’t going anywhere. 

Since DH can duel and collect the medicinal herbs in one trip...This XY deserves a lot of trashing because his recklessness started the DH FJ JH mess.

From challenging Xuyang's wedding arrangement of JH to DH, soul jade shattering, FJ becoming an ordinary fox, even JH getting poisoned at Mt Baishui. 

What's funny is that XY wants JH for himself but his impulsive and thoughtless acts only brought her to his "rival" closer rather than to him as he hoped.

• Like 2

Finished episode 11

love how Xuanren falls in love, but disappointed he was planning on visiting Chu Wan a few days later (he made the decision before his tumble into the lake)

Jiheng is becoming easier to dislike with her cunning attitude. Before, she was a victimised princess forced into a marriage she didn’t want. Here, she wants to steal a national treasure. Hmm...I guess because Dong Hua was doing the planning, she didn’t have a chance to show off her cunning before.

what an unpleasant boss that Ying king is.

did anyone else cringe when Xiao Jiu was finally introduced properly? Her staring and reason for being a guard made me cringe so much.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

11 minutes ago, Megan said:

love how Xuanren falls in love, but disappointed he was planning on visiting Chu Wan a few days later

That was more of courtesy as Chu Wan is, after all, the peacekeeping bride from another state.

12 minutes ago, Megan said:

did anyone else cringe when Xiao Jiu was finally introduced properly? Her staring and reason for being a guard made me cringe so much.

I don't know if sub texts are lost in translation or the script was really like that, but me...

I would have preferred that the dialogue would have been about SXR admiring the skills of Xiao Jiu, and he himself asking that he(she) join the army or be as one of the palace guards. Not XJ asking to live there as a reward.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

As promised, I decided to try my hand at making sorrowless pastries again. This time the mortal version. Sadly it still looked purple and white cos food colouring didn’t work. It tasted much better cos I added more sugar. And the purple potatoes were so much easier to mash. The yams were still chunky though. It was still hard to make them look presentable. Bottom line: first attempt looked decent but tasted meh. Second attempt tasted better but looked meh.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10220362816112820&set=a.10202863022148908&type=3

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1