[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

52 minutes ago, 9tRedFox said:

@XiaoDong, they only lose from staying in the safe zone. This + the extended mortal arc + the butchered editing will drag the drama down. PB is way better than TMOPB but it won't beat it because of the limited options for online streaming/number of channels, the missing promo and the lack of steaminess like in Yang Mi/Mark Chao case. If they took the risk and compensated with true passion, it would have been a blast. Now it's like a teenage romance which doesn't really correspond to Grandpa's age :naughty:

You capsulized everything I wanna say hahaha!  Once DH said that he is not that good in kissing but he will surely learn with her. But after kissing FJ with nudging lips when they were in bed by the lake, instead of getting better because they've been doing the deed, the rest of their  kisses became "statue kisses" :joy: 

We fans have so many "if only" stuff in our heads regarding how the producers/makers  of ELOD poorly managed some important things, and everything we are ranting about make sense. The series could have been ROARING internationally and not just MEOWING if they didn't settle in the safe zone. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Anyone here in the mood to talk about Ji Heng? :tounge_wink: For the life of me, I can't get into her character. She seems to be uncertain of her feelings but also very certain. Minsu first, she thought she loved him (her) and even eloped with him. Then, she doesn't like Minsu that much anymore after finding out the truth. Then, she thinks she is in love with DH and created all sorts of troubles. When she got outright rejected at the end, she just said Ok, maybe not him. Of course then XY came running like a lost puppy and then she goes all loving with him at the end. This Ji Heng character is just outright weird. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Insightful 1

4 minutes ago, XiaoDong said:

You capsulized everything I wanna say hahaha!  Once DH said that he is not that good in kissing but he will surely learn with her. But after kissing FJ with nudging lips when they were in bed by the lake, instead of getting better because they've been doing the deed, the rest of their  kisses became "statue kisses" :joy: 

We fans have so many "if only" stuff in our heads regarding how the producers/makers  of ELOD poorly managed some important things, and everything we are ranting about make sense. The series could have been ROARING internationally and not just MEOWING if they didn't settle in the safe zone. 

Whose idea is the safe zone anyway? :D the novel itself is really steamy (that is why i loved it :w00t:).

@Yori Ten ur right! A little rumor would boost the show :D

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

If they was a teenager who was watched the kiss scene in ELOD.. I'm sure they felt excited

"over the moon" kind of excited... And there's many types of fans

1) A fans who didn't read the books would say 

"OMG..the best kiss ever'

2) A Fans who read the books says

A)" I wish they passionately kiss just like in books"

B) I don't really care as long I get to see Dongfeng's kiss I will happy..They didn't even kiss in TMOPB.

C) As long their kiss as passionate as they did in V Love I will be happy.

There's quite a lot of No 1 comments in twitter.

As for me I was all of the above.. because its Dongfeng's kiss..which make me feels like a dream ..a sweet dreams.

The one that I been patiently waiting like forever..

12 more minutes to 8pm..I get to watch episode 45&46..

uh uuh.. episode 46 ..:lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

1 minute ago, Yori Ten said:

Anyone here in the mood to talk about Ji Heng? :tounge_wink: For the life of me, I can't get into her character. She seems to be uncertain of her feelings but also very certain. Minsu first, she thought she loved him (her) and even eloped with him. Then, she doesn't like Minsu that much anymore after finding out the truth. Then, she thinks she is in love with DH and created all sorts of troubles. When she got outright rejected at the end, she just said Ok, maybe not him. Of course then XY came running like a lost puppy and then she goes all loving with him at the end. This Ji Heng character is just outright weird. 

She is one inconsistent lady. Her character likes to act pitiful and i think her dignity level is way below. She should love herself more.

• LOL 2

2 minutes ago, Yori Ten said:

I think she's the type who rebounds and then gets OBSESSED!  I just think she's a selfish character who knows what she's doing is not right but persists in trying to get her own way like a spoilt child.  

• Insightful 3

1 minute ago, jimmylyne said:

If they was a teenager who was watched the kiss scene in ELOD.. I'm sure they felt excited

"over the moon" kind of excited... And there's many types of fans

1) A fans who didn't read the books would say 

"OMG..the best kiss ever'

2) A Fans who read the books says

A)" I wish they passionately kiss just like in books"

B) I don't really care as long I get to see Dongfeng's kiss I will happy..They didn't even kiss in TMOPB.

C) As long their kiss as passionate as they did in V Love I will be happy.

There's quite a lot of No 1 comments in twitter.

As for me I was all of the above.. because its Dongfeng's kiss..which make me feels like a dream ..a sweet dreams.

The one that I been patiently waiting like forever..

12 more minutes to 8pm..I get to watch episode 45&46..

uh uuh.. episode 46 ..:lol:

Im quite loyal to the novel, so i vote for A :D and seriously, steamy scenes gives a huge boost to series nowadays.

i watched a series, it was a bit low budget but the kisses are steamy, it ended up having season 2. 

• LOL 7

@Zelnk @bertrande

I can't recall her character being this weird while reading the book. Sure, she's the typical love rival but in the book, she definitely makes more sense. After being rejected by DH, she started spending time making XY dolls while waiting for him to return. Scary if you asked me!! 

@jimmylyne I am quite interested to know what non PB readers think of the drama. Does it make sense to them? Do they enjoy it? We as the book readers are very biased so our views and theirs could be very different.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Commented a few times some days ago that there's no Dong Hua but Vengo and no Feng Jiu but Reba. In the last few episodes of ELOD, they were just so in character, they were born for it.

Ep 54-56, you might need that tissue box nearby. The trying to be brave smiles, the life fading out from the once hopeful eyes, those got me. From all the crying of FJ in the series, the most bitter would be when she finds out from ZY that she's encinta. 

Remember in ep30 when DH says he's the weak type of hero while FJ was wrapping his wounded arm? Remember her saying that her uncle YH hides his injuries from her aunt BQ? In ep55 DH concealed how seriously ill he was from FJ. It hurts seeing how DH did his best to hold his tears until he finally couldn't after FJ left.

My Mandarin is very limited, so I rather think that once the subs are out, rewatch and fully understand...I would sound like I got colds again. :)

Didn't expect MS to perish. I'm glad he had enjoyed the company of FJ, XY, LS, and even DH. He could have gone too to Qing Qiu like Jielu did as the new monarch.

Never felt like slashing JH either after she deliberately gets poisoned again. And that Nie Chuye, he was really pathetic - typical of those who abuse their usurped power. The brother of JH, he knew among his men who is the good one. That's XY. Even DH trusted XY.

Hahaha, not a popular view, but the lack of smoulder is just fine for me. That though may be because the two are so warm and comfortable with each other in their scenes. Plus their very expressive eyes. Besides, implied intimacy means you imagine it however way you want it. :lol:

It would be lovely to see the director's cut version of the series. I want the boatride scenes of DH, FJ, and BGG.

I like seeing how friendly and laid back the two and other characters are in their BTS. I'm sure they had difficult times, but having the right behaviour before and after the camera rolls certainly help. Makes me really smile how they pass their time.

I wish all the actors, actresses, and those who made ELOD come to life more success. :heart:

• Like 4
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, Yori Ten said:

I think Ji heng as support character ended the classic way, turned to the next guy chasing her skirt. I think it would have been better if the actress chose a more creative way how to end her story (other than being evil).

TMOPB has better support plot, LiJing and his queen, his sister and YCW twin :joy:, and even the 'hated' DH and FJ ending (which is close to my heart too :heart:)  there are good though I dont know if these were cannon.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Zelnk said:

Ohhh i guess the man is conservative :D

Make me adored him more..tall great shine..

Luckily I already have my ow Vengos..my hubby for almost 24 yrs ..with 4 childrens he is 183" to my 154"  my rock , my sunshine .:D

• Like 2
  • Love 3

12 minutes ago, 9tRedFox said:

@XiaoDong, yeah, and it's ridiculous. Come on, if anyone, Yang Mi knows how things should be done. I still have the feeling they did it on purpose, in order for PB not to outshine TMOPB and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth <_<

What conspiracy is this? :D if pb earns a lot then more money for yang mi company. I just have a feeling that it was the main leads who refused to have steamy scenes. For what reason? Maybe to avoid backlash from fans. Reba is quite famous and has a lot of over protective fans. If they have steamy scenes, some fans might accuse vengo of taking advantage :D which is ridiculous because they are just acting.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@MayanEcho Great insight as always. Love how you managed to piece together the scenes from previous eps.

Pay attention to DH the second time you are watching with subs. The director did absolutely perfect potraying his deteriorating health. The changes are very subtle but he appears more and more fragile after they got out from Fanyin Valley. His demeanor changed, his posture is more slanted, his walk is weaker, his face is paler, his expressions more restraint. But you can also see how he tried to act normal and pretend that all is well.

During the Binchang ceremony, after his fight with NCY, you could see that he was not well. He placed his hands behind his back and stowed away Chang'he but he was shaking.

These are very small details that one need to really see. Amazing directing from the director I have to say and Vengo

pulled it off fantastically.

• Like 14
  • Love 3

16 minutes ago, Zelnk said:

Im quite loyal to the novel, so i vote for A :D and seriously, steamy scenes gives a huge boost to series nowadays.

i watched a series, it was a bit low budget but the kisses are steamy, it ended up having season 2. 

Eternal love? 

• Like 1

@MayanEcho Remember in ep30 when DH says he's the weak type of hero while FJ was wrapping his wounded arm? Remember her saying that her uncle YH hides his injuries from her aunt BQ? In ep55 DH concealed how seriously ill he was from FJ. It hurts seeing how DH did his best to hold his tears until he finally couldn't after FJ left.

>>>Yes, I thought that was in character of him. He only acts coquettish when he wants affection but he was prepared to die so he probably didn't think it would be necessary. Besides, he has always been mindful of the misunderstandings and its impact on FJ (it's a recurring word that appeared throughout the Aranya arc in particular) that he probably thought it won't work anyhow. As ZhongLin said, FJ's plain obstinate when she wants to be, must be a QingQiu trait (thinking about BQ). And the writer just wanted to abuse/leverage on the misunderstandings to the max. I know I said this before, but I hope for the next few novels that come out from the author, she doesn't use the same method of separation again - it's so far been a wedding either before (TMOPB) or the day itself (ELOD) before SXXX hits the ceiling.

I just wanted to say in the book, I felt sorry for DH because he was all alone. He went to talk to BQ to find out where she was, he searched the world(s) for her, he did everything on his own. But in the drama, there were others looking out for him and at least he wasn't really all alone. That gave me some comfort and added a layer to the story. Otherwise it would have felt just like a story about FJ and DH only.

Just for laughs...Bai Gun Gun should have been named Dong Gun Gun.:blush:  It's less common for a child to follow the mother's surname unless I think in ancient times, where a rich family married their daughter off to a guy (typically less well off) and the guy even changes his surname to follow suit the wife's. LOL.

@Yori Ten yah, saw the hand tremors during the Bing Cang ceremony and you are right, the gradual change in his physical appearance shows great attention to detail. Draws the viewers to sympathise with him. All this while, we see FJ in relatively good spirits. It really paints a picture of how they each spent their 200 years. And am I glad they kept these sentences "I didn't live well at all.” “I'm a little scary today, aren't I? Don't be afraid.” “I won't mutually separate from you, Xiao Bai. You'll always be my wife to the day I die.”

I wish Zhong Lin's eyes had turned red though as he broke down in relating DH's condition to FJ.... 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Zelnk said:

some fans might accuse vengo of taking advantage...

And we are waiting for a confession that he takes advantage every night in real life... Won't happen anytime soon... Maybe when we reach Dijun's age... :D

• Like 1
  • Naughty 2
  • LOL 6