[Drama 2018] About Time / 어바웃타임

Maetawinz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, seungjiyoona18 said:

I agree with this. In the previous episodes, BSB pestered DH to fold a thousand paper cranes for her. Some dramas have portrayed how gifting someone with folded paper cranes symbolises hope and best wishes for a speedy recovery for the patient. This hints that BSB already knows she does not have much time left. 

Some interpreted as giving your time to another person as well.  @bebebisous33 Mika doesn't see BSB's time either, wonder if they will reveal it soon.  Would be good if she can change before the end.

10 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Striking is that the musical is about the "Strange case of Benjamin Button" and this is no coincidence. Benjamin Button was surrounded by death in the beginning and little by little he learnt how to deal with time and death and became happy. He found his big love and was happy, even if it was connected to heartbreak as well. So the reverse here in this drama is that Mi Ka has not much time left but she receives some time in order to become happy. Her time is linked to happiness.  

As for DH's first love, I saw pain in his gaze, when he met the actress. DH is not wavering at all, rather his old wound resurfaced. He needs closure and BSB thought that hurting Mi Ka would be the solution. However, she never thought that her surprise would backfire on her as she didn't realize that she was hurting DH. 

Yes.  With Benjamin, he was given the time to spend life backward, knowing how life ends.  He has the foresight to see the end so he lives his life more fully, appreciating the time he has.  He understood that heartbreak/joy/relationships are all part of his journey, especially how there is an end and beginning of everything. I think there's a spiritual reason for his journey as well.  Nothing is permanent.  All things are connected, he continues to meet and leave Daisy.  Yet, fate keeps bringing them together as if to say, as to say goodbye is not permanent.  He didn't fear goodbyes, felt binded by them as much and he learned to deal with disappointments in the bigger sense.

All these things I hope will come to Mika in this drama.  There's a lot of drama left.  Mika is given the gift to see the end, she just need more time to live it fully.  DH has to learn to let go of hurt and the past to start living in the present.  This is why I think the ex will help Mika eventually to move DH forward.

@Nodame thank you so much for the translations!  Any thought on E6?

I’ve had some things going on irl but here’s my thoughts about this week’s episodes. On first watch I found this to be the most solid week so far and I’m really happy with the episodes.  :)

I loved episode 5. It was a really sweet and happy episode and it had a lot of interesting things happen as well. I’m glad that Mika isn’t the only one who can see people’s clocks and I’m curious if So Nyeo will reveal her ability to Mika and about how she realized Mika’s ability.

I felt bad for Beth when Doha said he wanted to end their relationship, then decidedly less bad when she decided to spy on him.

Mika and Doha were really cute together. Doha is so much more likable when he’s happy and in love and I love that Mika is more open with her feelings as well. Really happy she got approval from director Jo too.

I’m glad Doha believes in her ability. That said I feel that so far he doesn’t realize the impact of Mika’s short time left, he just seem happy to have her next to him. I’m a bit worried he will have to choose between Mika and his ambition or even between Mika and his (and her) reputation. I wonder if he would be able to make that choice.

Episode 6 was also really interesting. I wondered about what So Nyeo said about how Mika should not react to people’s clocks. Was it foreshadowing? Or did something happen to SN because she tried to interfere?:huh:

Mika’s mom was quite cool in the scene where she confronts Doha. I wonder if she asked him to stop seeing her daughter just because of the guy trying to bribe her or if there is another reason too?

I hadn’t really considered what other people would think of Mika moving in with DH but it must have been difficult for her because she wouldn’t have moved in with him under normal circumstances

I also loved that that the secondary characters are getting fleshed out. I wonder if DH’s brother has a thing for his sister in law or if I read too much into that scene. And was Mika’s brother honest about what happened? I’m guessing not.

I continue to love Mika’s relationship with SN and SH and now I just want to have some cute scenes with her family as well.

I’m guessing next week we’ll dive into what happened to make DH so anxious. I actually hope he doesn’t still have feelings for his ex, though I don’t mind if he cares about her or have things that he needs to work through in order to let go of the past. Interesting, interesting.

Finally I loved that we got more singing in this episode.

7 hours ago, happypuppy said:

Dont you think that what the second lead is doing so human? Whether there is love or not in the arrange marriage, both of them had a same vision: to marry in order to expand the business empire. I can understand that Beth is in angry and denial phase. I was in similar position and I swore that I would destroy my ex's life. But that honestly came from the anger and frustration that things were not going as I planned. That's what I like about the show: so human.

She would find a closure for sure in the next (many) episodes, but to expect that Beth would simply nod after hear DH said 'I'm leaving. Bye' will insult her character. Although she may lack in emotional aspect, she is a cool, clever, strong-willed power woman! 

Youre totally right, I think I was just frustrated by how we had to see two woman fight which I always hate. That she propositioned the older brother to rid of MK even at the expense of DH becoming penniless and ‘needing’ the marriage of convenience with BSB. This to me doesn’t seem like she has sincere feeling towards DH, but rather possession and other shallow feelings. But I really like her character, since the beginning with the Hepburn cosplay and just overall ambitious, strong and capable woman character she is. I completely agree Beth is like you described so I’m disappointed in the writer for making her behave in the petty way she has and turning what could have been sincere feelings for DH into not so sincere. That said, there is certainly room for development and I don’t blame her for her actions either because the reality is that DH pursued MK and returned her advances despite not breaking off engagement (e.g restaraunt scene when Beth was there and he was still stringing her along) MK also is responsible for having pursued him in the first place knowing he was engaged, arranged marriage or not. So as you said, these are very human consequences to our leads actions. I just have to put it out there that I ship Beth with that Chinese businessman. I always felt like he’s been in love with her since she showed up to that dinner and he suddenly accepted DH there by also making comments that he’s ‘lucky’ and stuff. I dunno, I would really love to see her happy in the end. And it would be sad if like others have predicted about the cranes and such, that she is short on time herself.

also, I complain about the first love but I would love to be pelasantly surprised that it turns out to be like a ‘because it’s my first life’ and ‘suspicious partner’ dynamic where they become friends, since they will have to be working together closely as understudy and actress. This could also serve as an example to BSB that if her feelings for DH are sincere, she wouldn’t treat them or their love like this.

@ladyid you were not reading too much into it, I also got a feeling too that the hyung has a thing for his sister in law. Maybe he tried to be altruistic in his love and ‘give her up’ to the brother because he’s illegitimate and thought he wasn’t good enough for her.

9 hours ago, happypuppy said:

Dont you think that what the second lead is doing so human? Whether there is love or not in the arrange marriage, both of them had a same vision: to marry in order to expand the business empire. I can understand that Beth is in angry and denial phase. I was in similar position and I swore that I would destroy my ex's life. But that honestly came from the anger and frustration that things were not going as I planned. That's what I like about the show: so human.

She would find a closure for sure in the next (many) episodes, but to expect that Beth would simply nod after hear DH said 'I'm leaving. Bye' will insult her character. Although she may lack in emotional aspect, she is a cool, clever, strong-willed power woman! 

@philosophie I hear ya. Many of us here do sympathize with Beth.  She has been wronged by both DH and Mika.   I would appreciate her more if she has confronted and called DH out on his actions. Be honest with him, let him know that he betrayed her, grill him.  Although their relationship was not based on love, there was an agreement that he did not keep.  She should have taken the high road and dump him before he can say anything.  Instead she resorted to measures that are spiteful just so she can keep her reputation and control of the situation. Unfortunately, her pride was too much.   She’s absolutely human.  Im Se Mi is doing a great job at making us hate her.

@sin hoonsim  Thanks.  Cute. We get to see his first love.  She seems sweet. BTW, OST 3 by Pentagon will be out 6/12.

@ladyid hope life is not too crazy. Miss your posts. Mommy meeting Do Ha is funny.  I bet she's really good with relationships and things from her drama watching.  MK should confide in her!  I miss seeing her dad too.   Want to see more fun cute moments so hoping these melo angsty episodes will soon pass.

Can I say I really hope that the first love issue and fiancee issue is done by end of next weeks episodes. I feel Mika and DH have allot of other stuff that need to be addressed, like the time clock (whats up with Mika seeing his clock for a second, what is the rule about the time clock and their connection with it). How they gonna deepen their love for each other. feel there is so many thing that the writer could tough on without doing the typical first love. but maybe that first love gonna surprise us and gonna end up being a nice person. even supporting Mika`s musical carrier. well let us see what next episode gonna surprise us with :)  

@bedifferent  Your welcome. Thanks for checking in, this week has been a bit hectic. I haven't had a chance to fully watch the latest episode 6 yet from Tuesday. Yikes so behind. So that is why I have not written much. Work and life got a bit hectic on my end. Hope life is good for you on your end!

So finally caught ep 5 in its entirety.

-The whole time clock thing is confusing but loving the theories thrown out but I do think that when both of them have feelings at the same time her time increases sounds credible. But also the theory that time she gets increased could be taking from DH's time seems plausible too as well. Given he has a longer life than her under 90 days.  I like both thoughts /on it. Especially since when DH saw at the end of ep 5 his first love, her time was ticking back as usual down even though she was near DH adds more strength to those theories for me.

I need to watch it all in ep 6 to be able to write more. But what I have seen some clips on my instagram (a bit more than was shown on YT)

-Hmmmm Mika's brother and her BFF, questionable did they or didn't they? I didn't like how he prob didn't remember either and was happy she "blacked out" so he used it to his advantage to press his point he DID not do anything more than sleep. Even though he is the lil bro who likes to tease his Nuna's BFF. Are they trying to start a potential loveline in the future between these two?

-I love SN Halmoni and her love and care for Mika.

-Awww Beth----you want him to love you but you don't have the capacity to appreciate him for him and receive that love. He is not a commodity that you can buy and sell as you are doing right now. People have emotions and you are underestimating them. To bring in his first love thinking you are merely displacing Mika. You are doing more than that and to put in DH brother he despises---you really think he will let it go? Plus meddling on with your former classmate with DH's dealings. Tsk Tsk.

-Mika---good job being able to do the audition and WIN. (YESH!) I was upset she had to deal with Beth. I cannot blame her and glad she was honest with DH about Beth meeting up with her. This meeting reminded her that she is not on the same level with DH. But in the end that is an OLD excuse. Many people are not on the 'same levels" when they are in love and get married. There are those throughout time who have done it and WILL STILL do it. But there those who are able to surpass that as depends on the two people involved--no matter race, economic status, education level etc. Case in point-Meghan Markle marrying Prince Harry recently---she is not royal, she is divorced, American and half black and half white. I mean his relative had to give up the thrown to marry his love an American Divorcee Wallace Simpson. 

-Clip on the Mom talking to DH, I am glad though she loves money and could have been RICH. I appreciated she admitted not being the best mom but she still is a "MOM" and had her pride. She went to protect her daughter Mika from the clutches of cruel, greedy and mean rich people. 

i just need to watch this episode when I get a chance.

@Nodame I watched 5/6 in a row cuz I was as busy at the time as well. 

I am unsure if SN knows MK has the special ability which makes it poignant on how similarly they handle their power toward those with expiring time clocks.  SN's time is slightly longer than MK at 2 years 29days when we first met her.  She's more philosophical, wise and uses her power to offer solace to those dying.  I wonder how long has she carried this burden and what it means to her to have this power.  MK has the same compassion, which makes me think the power to see time was not given randomly to people.  Only to those who can put it to good use.  I am loving SN's guidance but do wish the drama involved MK's interaction with her mom more.  I am all for good mother-daughter bonding scenes.

In one of his older interviews, the late Anthony Bourdain mentioned that fatherhood has saved him from some of the darkest hours.  He felt the responsibility and wanted to raise the little girl into "a young woman who .. will never look to men for affirmation, or anyone else for affirmation or self worth or be physically intimidated by anyone."  I wanted MK's mom to say the same to her daughter so that she can lean back on this support in tough times.  

Soompi Announcement 

The Events Team will be launching The Amazing Hunt on Monday 11 June . Lots of fun , reputation points & prizes on the table. Check this out & come join us! 

Archived