[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

Awwww, so he told her to go home quickly because he’s waiting for her there like the eager puppy he is!

Son Oh Gong wants Seon Mi to admit that she likes kissing him, that she cares about him, that he affects her as much as she affects him, that she likes him; it’s as if he was asking her to tell him that this isn’t a one-sided thing and he isn’t alone in this love, that he isn’t a fool in love with a girl who doesn’t like him back; but she denies it and as he is his m.o., OG lashes out and tells her he wants to eat her. It’s the only way he knows how to hurt her and as always he only hurts himself in the process because it only makes the matters worse and OG realizes that he has hurt Seon Mi and richard simmons all up yet again. At least he actually has enough conscience and perception to realize that he screwed up big time. You can literally spot the exact moment when it dawns at him and he gets angry not at her but at himself because LSG is so awesome portraying every facet of Oh Gon’s personality and emotional state. 

INW02LC.jpg

“I’m a demon and once you take off the Geumganggo you’re my prey. In the sense that I can’T forget my true identity, I have no intention of throwing it away.”

And then he goes and burns it all. One of the things I like about Oh Gong is that he never pretends with Seon Mi or lies to her and when she calls his act out he always fesses up immediately, without beating around the bush.

zozy6lk.jpg

It’s really a learning curve for him - learning and realizing what is good and what is not and when Oh Gong sees that he screwed up, he immediatelly jumps into action and tries to make amends and make it alright. He never stays stubborn and in denial that that it wasn’t his fault which is one of the reasons that make Oh Gong so likeable and attractive despite his flaws - he might be deeply flawed and makes mistakes but he always tries to make it up to SM for what he did and he really grows before your eyes as a character and a person.

C5WZq48.jpg

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Please don't let it be a dream/illusion

what if the demon is in Oh Gong disguise? 

What if Samjang is under hypnotize again?

OMGooooooosh! I love all of these what if's!

When I saw that this forum was "hot" I knew something must have happened. Then I saw that wedding post! That is crazy! What does it mean!!!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

15 minutes ago, Liting1 said:

Where can I buy the cute teddy bears from this drama?! I'm from the U.S and want to buy them! Someone let me know the process!

If Dramabeans opens their shop again then they might have it. They had a lot of paraphernalia in their shop like teddy bears and other things from dramas. You might also be able to check Etsy. Sometimes people make knitted items from dramas. Hwayugi is big enough internationally to have something like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Okay, her dress is soooooo old fashioned, so I agree with everyone who thinks she must be trapped in something. Maybe one of the fairytale books? Weddings and fairytales pretty much go hand in hand (at least the old ones).

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, V said:

Okay, her dress is soooooo old fashioned, so I agree with everyone who thinks she must be trapped in something. Maybe one of the fairytale books? Weddings and fairytales pretty much go hand in hand (at least the old ones).

It's definitely a possibility; it can be a dream, a fantasy, an illusion,... The article which described the photos said it was 1980s style. However, there is also a possibility that it's a throwback to SHK's Dior wedding dress (in October) which had a similar vintage style because her wedding with SJK was the wedding of the year and ever since this style has become very popular in SK. 

tumblr_p36r7b5FlD1s8t96qo6_r1_1280.jpg&kZdYbcfx.jpg

Spoiler

xmc9KbI.png6rIITGO.jpgxYG9iqX.png

source: naver

• Like 10

I’m the type of sadomasochistic person who loves when her OTP hurts each other like this. These types of arguments really move the relationship to the next level and the fact that they are able to hurt and shake each other to the core is because they care; and the more they care the more they hurt. It’s also healthy because if your relationship and love can’t survive and withstand few arguments, disagreements and misunderstandings how can they survive the end of the world or last a life time, let alone an eternity? 

When Son Oh Gong tells Seon Mi that he threw away the seasoning, it’s his way of apologizing to her, admiting he messed up and asking for forgiveness, but SM’s hurt much deeper than he realizes because for her this is about what how he really feels about her. She is lashing out just as OG so often does. He wants so desperately that she leaves Jonathan behind and chooses to be with him, that he is pretty much begging her to come with him.

RxOnYFC.jpg

“I don’t want to. Why should I? How much will you give me?”

This one really hurts Son Oh Gon; you can literally see him being taken aback and physically hurt by those words to the extent that he even takes a step back away from her. It’s also my favourite burn because SM is paying OG back with his own words and it’s his catch phrase which he so often tells her - she’s treating him the same way he treated her - she is giving him the taste of his own medicine. 

People often complain about how OG is treating SM badly and about him being a richard simmons to her, but I don’t think so - I think at this point he simply lashes out when he is hurt like normal people do and it works because SM isn’t just standing there taking his richard simmons but fights him tooth and nail and gives him the same treatment - they are equals in their arguments, he doesn’t have the higher ground. And whenever they argue or they hurt each other, they make up and apologize in their own way I find it’s a realistic depiction of normal relationship. 

8tWgh0w.jpg

Finally, in their arguments, there is truth on both sides - OG had treated SM’s badly in her office and bullied her friend, so she is rightfully angry, on the other hand, OG wants to make things rights and he genuinely thinks she is angry because she thinks he still wants eat her, so he is there to tell her she doesn’t need to worry about that because he threw away the seasoning=he won’t ever eat her, but she isn’t honest with him about the real reason why she is angry. Oh what a tangled web we weave…

YQCOF33.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, briseis said:

It's definitely a possibility; it can be a dream, a fantasy, an illusion,... The article which described the photos said it was 1980s style. However, there is also a possibility that it's a throwback to SHK's Dior wedding (in October) which had a similar vintage style because her wedding with SJK was the wedding of the year and ever since this style has become very popular in SK. 

source: naver

Wow, I hadn't even thought about that. I think you are right! They were probably influenced by it if anything and tried to incorporate it into the drama somehow.

• Like 5

I’m officially dead and on my way to shipper’s heaven! 

This is the first time in a Hong Sisters drama when I feel that the main lead just might pin the heroine to the wall or throw her down on the floor and have her way with her. Unlike all their other male leads, Oh Gong has in him this hint of something deeply feral and wild and an air of unpredictability which makes it seem he might devour Seon Mi at any given moment.

C114mwV.jpg

“And don’t leave me behind. Don’t leave me behind to go to another man. If you do it one more time I might actually die. Don’t get angry at me or hate me. I’m saying that it really hurts me.”

HE LOVES HER! TRULY, DEEPLY! That’s Oh Gong’s love confession and the declaration of his feelings for Seon Mi and like everything he says to her it’s honest, raw and passionate; only truth and honesty. It’s COMPLETE ACCEPTANCE OF EVERYTHING HE FEELS FOR HER AND THE SHEER SINCERITY IS SHINING FROM HIS EYES. AND THAT SMILE! It’s also his plea to accept his heart and protect it because he is surrendering it to her.

9yTTanD.jpg

“Now that I think about it, you’re the only thing in this world that can kill me. Because if you tell me to die, I’ll die.” 

Because in that moment, in that split second when he was contemplating killing her, he realized that she holds complete power over him, not because of the GGG, BUT BECAUSE SHE IS EVERYTHING HE EVER WANTED AND HE WOULD GO TO HELL AND BACK TO PROTECT HER. 

Notice how OG goes after the demon not to protect SM’s physical wellbeing but to protect HJ, a measly human, he wouldn’t even look twice at, but because he is someone SM cares about and if he got hurt she would be sad and it would have hurt her emotionally - OG goes to defeat the demon IN ORDER TO PROTECT HER HEART.

KGlgzlC.jpg

• Like 16

I read somewhere about ep 9 text preview that Sunmi transferred the ownership of GGG because she was blinded by the offer from demon that trapped soul into fairytale that she could feel to live as a normal person. So she gave up GGG and went inside the book. 

I think, that preview pic of her in wedding dress, it was her living her normal life. having friends, family, dating, and getting married. The dress looks vintage because it is inside fairytale book. Then I think, somehow, Ohgong has a way to go inside the book and appear in Sunmi's illusion. So, she got confused because if she is living a normal life, she won't meet Ohgong. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

I read somewhere about ep 9 text preview that Sunmi transferred the ownership of GGG because she was blinded by the offer from demon that trapped soul into fairytale that she could feel to live as a normal person. So she gave up GGG and went inside the book. 

I think, that preview pic of her in wedding dress, it was her living her normal life. having friends, family, dating, and getting married. The dress looks vintage because it is inside fairytale book. Then I think, somehow, Ohgong has a way to go inside the book and appear in Sunmi's illusion. So, she got confused because if she is living a normal life, she won't meet Ohgong. 

This is the episode 9 text preview, all credit goes to the awesome @V

OG and SM – Seon Mi believes that their relationship is fate. Now Oh Gong knows that Seon Mi wants to have the life of a normal person. Oh Gong is in deep agony when he looks at SM because her fate changed as a punishment for releasing him (when she was little).

Meanwhile, a new bookseller monster appears who takes kids souls and locks them in fairytale books. This monster approaches Han Joo’s (SM’s secretary) neighborhood kids. To stop this monster, SM is toe-to-toe with this monster, alone. This monster tells SM that she will take away her special ability that made her childhood miserable. Seon Mi is bewildered and gives away Geum Gang Go’s power.

source: https://www.bah-doo.com/

• Like 5
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 4