[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

8 hours ago, haymochi said:

I'm used to Cha Seung comical acting style. He was like that as Dok Go Jin in Best Love too

I agree with you, that is Cha Seung's style and it kind of fits the Character that we are watching.  He sees himself as being the best and all others are not as good.  This Character is the type who will hate someone else getting the better of him or getting more attention then him.  I think that it makes what could be a very scary story, just a touch lighter so someone like me who doesn't like real horror shows can watch and love the storyline.  Just where it gets a little too scary they make me laugh.After watching ep 2 with only 70% subs I am loving it.  The drama makes me laugh (love Lee Hongki's character, just a touch goofy, very cute and loveable that reminds me of his Jermey character). I am also already into the chemistry between Son Oh-gong and Jin Sun-m, and I can't wait to see where this little love story will go.  My only downer is that we may have to wait for ep 3&4 but  I want to get the production issues right because that stuff can take away from the hard work of this great cast.

• Like 7

How in the world does Sun-Mi managed to stay alive for 25 years with her not-so-useful yellow umbrella? Is Wu Kong secretly protecting her during the past 25 years while staying hidden all the time?

Might be a bit superstitious, but did the production team did a proper praying ceremony (burn incense), before they commence shooting? Paying respects to the deceased is even more essential in a drama of this genre. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Ruique said:

How in the world does Sun-Mi managed to stay alive for 25 years with her not-so-useful yellow umbrella? Is Wu Kong secretly protecting her during the past 25 years while staying hidden all the time?

Might be a bit superstitious, but did the production team did a proper praying ceremony (burn incense), before they commence shooting? Paying respects to the deceased is even more essential in a drama of this genre. 

Agree this drama is quite a horror genre..

Judging from ep 2, the umbrella can sure protect her from ghost, ordinary spirits but it's the first time she saw those evil black demons who want her blood. Hence she was shock at the alley

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Agree this drama is quite a horror genre..

Judging from ep 2, the umbrella can sure protect her from ghost, ordinary spirits but it's the first time she saw those evil black demons who want her blood. Hence she was shock at the alley

oh....so that's why. I thought she became the Sam Jang when she released Wu Kong, and those black demons would then be after her blood when she's still that little girl. But what prompted the black demons now, and not then?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ruique said:

god themselves.. the guy tol shopkeeper right.. while he made buffalo believe that the girl is punished with samjang destiny for freeing monkey.. but the truth is .. sthg bad is coming to human realm and hence samjang had to be sent to earth.. and that everything that has to happen will happen..

and that god will not send samjang unprotected!

like grandmother.. they must have set up some spirits to guard her... not to forget in this universe.. a lot of spirits are trying to atone for their sins by protecting samjan and in general doing good deeds

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The grandmother told sunmi that someone will come and protect her...

it was fate that she be the one to release Oh Gong.

The synopsis says it all. They will work together to demolsih the evil demons who are going to overtake the world...

I think Sunmi became the flesh of evils because the God punished  her is just Mawang's assumption. Although Oh Gong might think it's true andf eel guilty later on esp after he fell in love with her

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

god themselves.. the guy tol shopkeeper right.. while he made buffalo believe that the girl is punished with samjang destiny for freeing monkey.. but the truth is .. sthg bad is coming to human realm and hence samjang had to be sent to earth.. and that everything that has to happen will happen..

and that god will not send samjang unprotected!

like grandmother.. they must have set up some spirits to guard her... not to forget in this universe.. a lot of spirits are trying to atone for their sins by protecting samjan and in general doing good deeds

Yes, thank you for that explanation. There must be a greater plan - mission, and monkey king's development into a major deity - accepted into heaven may also be a part of it. In the PBS series (one of the Chinese versions), the monk through his devout practice and goodness dispels the the demons and the monkey king and other aspiring demons journey with him to help and protect him as he brings the holy scriptures to the temple (or goes to get the scripture) something like that.  So I guess they will all be battling together at some point, now there is a lot of jealousy and competition between them.  

• Like 5

It seems the Monkey King is in love in the next episode, but I think that's a red herring. It's the Geum Gang Go influencing his heart ---> it literally has enchained his heart and she's the master so naturally he will love her. She needs to get that bracelet off him ASAP for any chance of genuine feelings being generated. I can see the fallout from this as well. He's gonna be so mad at her when it's removed and think any emotions were latent leftover by the bracelet. Not good. 

I'm not sure what to think of Cha Seung Wons character. Why is he so hell bent on locking up the Great Sage again? Is there a backstory here? Did the Monkey King kill his lover or what?

Preview for Next Week

• Like 11

Folks let's put the superstitions where they belong ----> in a box, and just enjoy the show. I'm sorry to hear of the accident but you know what, accidents happen all the time. I'm sure the time constraints don't help, I'd agree with those of you who would put it off for a few weeks. I would patiently wait for it as I'm sure would many of you. 

Anyway, on with the show. 

tumblr_p1k5qs5TlO1vem8apo1_400.gif  tumblr_p1k5qs5TlO1vem8apo2_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_p1k5qs5TlO1vem8apo4_400.gif  tumblr_p1k5qs5TlO1vem8apo3_400.gif

tumblr_p1k5qs5TlO1vem8apo6_400.gif  tumblr_p1k5qs5TlO1vem8apo5_400.gif

tumblr_p1k5qs5TlO1vem8apo7_400.gif  tumblr_p1k5qs5TlO1vem8apo8_400.gif

Even though I don’t have a family, friends, or a lover, in my life, there’s me.

• Like 11

“Hwayugi” Staff Member Revealed To Have Been Severely Injured On Set, tvN Responds

Hwayugi7.jpg

On December 26, a crew member of “Hwayugi” was belatedly revealed to have been severely injured while working on set.

The accident itself occurred early morning on December 23, the same day “Hwayugi” premiered. According to earlier reports, the crew member was working to hang a chandelier from the ceiling at the request of a producer, when he fell from a height of over 3 meters (approximately 9.84 feet), breaking his spine and hip bone. His pelvis was reported to have hit the ground first, then his head, upon which he began to show symptoms of cerebral hemorrhaging.

Based on one source’s account, the crew member was unconscious as he was being taken to the emergency room, and may be paralyzed from the waist down. The initial professional opinion was that the crew member “could also become brain dead,” but his mental capacity has returned to the point he is able to recognize his wife, children, and other family members. The crew member’s family is reported to be preparing to sue the producer who requested for him to work on the set at early hours.

The crew member is a member of the artistic team from MBC Art, a subsidiary of MBC, and is currently acting as one of the set managers under a service contract with JS Pictures, the production company of “Hwayugi.”

Despite this accident, “Hwayugi” aired as planned on December 23, and reportedly, the production company JS Pictures as well as tvN were initially quiet about the accident.

“Hwayugi” also experienced problems during its December 24 broadcast, which belatedly seem to have been partially due to the accident on set. Reportedly, a different source from the drama commented, “Do you believe that filming or post-production could go on normally when someone has been severely injured on set? The broadcasting accident that happened in episode 2 was a given.”

tvN apologized to the family, and explained their course of action in the following statement:

“We would first like to apologize to the family members who are hurting due to this unfortunate accident, and are sorry to deliver [this news] to everyone who has shown interest in ‘Hwayugi'”

“We recognized the magnitude of the ‘Hwayugi’ crew member’s accident from its onset, and have been regularly discussing with the crew member’s family in regards to his continuing treatments.”

“Since the accident that occurred while the crew member was preparing for the following day’s shoot, at around 2 a.m. KST on December 23, an executive producer was with the crew member in the ambulance as well as during the first stages of treatment. We have continuously been in mutual contact with [the family].”

more

https://www.soompi.com/2017/12/26/hwayugi-staff-member-revealed-severely-injured-set-tvn-responds/

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, maddymappo said:

Yes, thank you for that explanation. There must be a greater plan - mission, and monkey king's development into a major deity - accepted into heaven may also be a part of it. In the PBS series (one of the Chinese versions), the monk through his devout practice and goodness dispels the the demons and the monkey king and other aspiring demons journey with him to help and protect him as he brings the holy scriptures to the temple (or goes to get the scripture) something like that.  So I guess they will all be battling together at some point, now there is a lot of jealousy and competition between them.  

actually monk doesn't dispel monsters.. in the original series too he is target because his flesh is supposed to bring power (sthg like that)..

and he isn't quite adept at protecting himself.. however he is a pious soul and hence the one who can travel to meet gautam himself and get the original/true buddhist scriptures..

monkey, pig etc he encounters. take up the job to protect monk because that way they earn their 81 karma points to become deity.. and since monkey is the smartest and most learned and most powerful.. a tthe end of the journey only him and monk attain deity status.. rest of them get admitted into heavens in varying capacity

BUT yeah.. i agree.. for the brains that monkey has.. i am sure god themselves want him to join and become a deity.. the only problem is to curb his fidgety monkey nature.. which is the purpose of the journey.. although lets see what the big danger is (although given its hong sisters.. i doubt if sthg big will happen.. maybe will be restricted to episodic monster dealings)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, larus said:

“Hwayugi” Staff Member Revealed To Have Been Severely Injured On Set, tvN Responds

Spoiler
Hwayugi7.jpg

On December 26, a crew member of “Hwayugi” was belatedly revealed to have been severely injured while working on set.

The accident itself occurred early morning on December 23, the same day “Hwayugi” premiered. According to earlier reports, the crew member was working to hang a chandelier from the ceiling at the request of a producer, when he fell from a height of over 3 meters (approximately 9.84 feet), breaking his spine and hip bone. His pelvis was reported to have hit the ground first, then his head, upon which he began to show symptoms of cerebral hemorrhaging.

Based on one source’s account, the crew member was unconscious as he was being taken to the emergency room, and may be paralyzed from the waist down. The initial professional opinion was that the crew member “could also become brain dead,” but his mental capacity has returned to the point he is able to recognize his wife, children, and other family members. The crew member’s family is reported to be preparing to sue the producer who requested for him to work on the set at early hours.

The crew member is a member of the artistic team from MBC Art, a subsidiary of MBC, and is currently acting as one of the set managers under a service contract with JS Pictures, the production company of “Hwayugi.”

Despite this accident, “Hwayugi” aired as planned on December 23, and reportedly, the production company JS Pictures as well as tvN were initially quiet about the accident.

“Hwayugi” also experienced problems during its December 24 broadcast, which belatedly seem to have been partially due to the accident on set. Reportedly, a different source from the drama commented, “Do you believe that filming or post-production could go on normally when someone has been severely injured on set? The broadcasting accident that happened in episode 2 was a given.”

tvN apologized to the family, and explained their course of action in the following statement:

“We would first like to apologize to the family members who are hurting due to this unfortunate accident, and are sorry to deliver [this news] to everyone who has shown interest in ‘Hwayugi'”

“We recognized the magnitude of the ‘Hwayugi’ crew member’s accident from its onset, and have been regularly discussing with the crew member’s family in regards to his continuing treatments.”

“Since the accident that occurred while the crew member was preparing for the following day’s shoot, at around 2 a.m. KST on December 23, an executive producer was with the crew member in the ambulance as well as during the first stages of treatment. We have continuously been in mutual contact with [the family].”

more

This really is  awful,  sad news. It really makes me upset when I find out about accidents like these, especially when so many people are all working together on a big project like this.  It must be so emotionally upsetting for everyone, turmoil. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, maddymappo said:

This really is  awful,  sad news. It really makes me upset when I find out about accidents like these, especially when so many people are all working together on a big project like this.  It must be so emotionally upsetting for everyone, turmoil. 

Accidents happend but I can`t stop thinking how the cast and crew (it is the same for all dramas) are overworked  to be on time. They should begin shooting earlier to not be so tired/ in a hurry the whole time they are filming the drama.

• Like 11

No hate tho, I love the drama, but there are definitely many parallels between Goblin and Hwayugi. Deities in both, human girls to whom they are linked... tvN is trying too hard to get another hit drama like Goblin. Either way, I'm still liking this drama and feel like I'll stick to it till the end. BTW is the character of Ma Wang supposed to be an antagonist? I'm getting so much mixed signals from him, I can't decide what to expect from him. Pretty funny dude tho XD 

• Like 6

No intense chemistry from the main couple for me, unfortunately... One moment I like them, the other - I don't. I was thinking maybe Oh Yeon Seo and Cha seung won would at least have it, but nah :huh: plot is still interesting anyway and I hope the dynamics between the characters will get better too, I'm always all for the good old sexual tensions that hooks you to the screen 

• Like 4