[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Another thought on what you shared here @anipanch: I also need to concede to your point that an open show of affection might not ONLY stolen the show, but may actually backfire.  I haven't watched Pretty Noona, and I don't deliberately follow recaps or anything, but so many times I have come across comments complaining about the excessive skinship, even if the leads do have strong chemistry.  Viewers of MA could have potentially been turned off by any skinship too early on, especially if they had not been pulled in by the amazing love story. So yeah, in the end, the controversy was a blessing in disguise.  

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I know exactly what you mean.  I, too, feel that it's so rare to see such beautiful connection between the leads and to not fully flesh out that kind of chemistry is such a wasted opportunity.  On the other hand, I would not want to trade the show's success  (ratings, viewers' reception, and critical acclaims) with skinship just so I can ease the angst of my heart.

I also don't want the focus to deviate away from LSG and LJE's powerful performances in this drama  I would rather have a good solid story and strong character development. I am pretty happy about the ending although I was wishing more affectionate scenes between DH and Jian..:wub: I conceded that both characters despite their love for each other were not in any condition to start a relationship right away so a time jump was necessary in the story with the implication of a brand new beginning.

Pretty Noona concluded last week. I am not sure if the reports are all accurate  but I read some  nasty comments about the show through Nate and Naver. The local audience didn't appreciate the lack of plot and the show focusing more on the skinship rather than the story. In a way, My Ajusshi managed to conclude in a high note with viewers raving about the show. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

No, not really. I don't agree. :wink: Of course I acknowledge that there are different Buddhisms however Buddhism in its traditional sense is about detachment from the world in order to find one's enlightenment. To leave behind worldly desires. And the person who demonstrates that best in the drama is the friend who left everything to become a monk, Sang Won/Gyeom Duk. DH is in the thick of things but more at peace with himself because he is on a trajectory that he's chosen rather than pushed by circumstances.

Buddhism is vast. There is clearly the concept of detachment that is emphasized in many sects, but that is only one view of Buddhist doctrine. The friend who becomes a monk is an example. But do not see how he made anyone but himself very happy. Another doctrine is the middle way, which appears to me what DH has taken in his approach to life.  When a person places the Buddha in the center of his life, the world is benefited.

But it may fill the bill for Confucian teachings as well , I will rely on your knowledge.. By western I did mean Judeo - Christian.  

• Like 4

And the SUBBING CONTAGION sabotage continues...

yaaaaa.png

JA  :  I am going to Busan...

DH :  How are you going there...?

JA:  Train To Busan...   want me to powerblast them all for you??

Zombified_chomper.gif

• LOL 10

4 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

@mujay welcome back on the forum...!

@Joseph Lim

What song is this "sleepless in rainy night"???  who is the singer?  Idon't remember this song in the OST for My Mister?

No..no..dear i'm not ready to end it, i still feel left behind. My anxious feeling get worsen whenever i reading all soompier post,many of us give clearence idea what and why the director/writer give that and this hint, i got nothing, the moment i always waiting the "hug" scene is the most painful scene after Jian phone booth call and her final good bye to her beloved grandma.

I means why after their trilling run and deep expressive inner feeling conversation, he(the man who always take responbility over her in every unconcious occasion)let her go just like nothing ever happening between them, 

I don't like how the writer in the end  shallowing their relatioship just like passer by. I felt hurt for Jian who leave broken heart and like always this strong girl tried to faight with unknown enviroment  alone, when all people have their source streght to move on. The writer just abandoned Jian, that's way the ending remaind unsatisfied for my pov, the writer and Pd abandoned my Jian.what a point healing?

JIAN ALONE..?

Sorry this drama disarray my comfort zone to fainding the healing part like i supposed to be.

Spoiler

For the loner .. Outside there-_-

• Like 6

So, I am 30+ pages behind but I'm going to just post this first before I catch up reading all of your wonderful posts! I watched ep 15 on Saturday and like many of you I found that it left a bad taste in my mouth and delulu mind. DH's actions or rather lack of action upset me. Come on man, you run like crazy to JA then as she cries her eyes out there is no hug? Not even a pat on the shoulder? I did realize that the janitor did what he could for JA as a semi-surrogate father. But he knew that JA longed for DH and only DH could heal JA. I really didn't have a good feeling for the ending after this ep. So, I searched for how the show ends and found the clips that show JA and DH meeting. No subtitles, just the talking, handshake, walking away and smiling. I thought, 'oh, boy'. They are happy but are walking away living separate lives.

I waited until Sunday to watch ep 16. I cried from the funeral until the HUG and 'Fighting'. The water works really hit heavy when SH made arrangements to get those flowers. So, we got the hug. She looked so happy asking for it and DH actually looked happy too like he felt 'I was waiting for you to ask me again'. I was pleased with the hug. It could have ended there, but there was no healing yet so I'm glad it didn't end. DH asking his mom if she pitied him too opened his eyes. His big cry allowed him to release his pitiable self, to reset and start on his journey to be happy.

JA being able to find him by noticing his voice was classic! DH having photos of his wife was not satisfying. Neither was him talking about her when JA found him. But at least they are not living together. The time jump was only 1 year and I like how they portrayed it with KH.

The ending was just okay wen I first saw it. Upon more reflection it became good. I mean it was open ended so the no romance crowd got what they wanted. The romance group can still hope for future courtship. What gave me hope was that it was not a true 'Lost in Translation' ending. They shook hands and DH held on for a long time while smiling (thinking yes I met her and will continue to meet her). I thought the handshake meant 'it is good to meet the new you'. Plus JA said 'I want to buy you a delicious meal' and DH agreed. Then JA said, 'I'll call you'. So, they will be in each others' lives. Finally, DH in voiceover asks if JA found comfort for yourself and she says, Yes, Yes.

I thought two things. That JA finds comfort still in DH. In the way he walks. In his smile that shows that he is now happy and that he thinks that she is now happy. The only thing that would have been better is if she pumped her fist and added, 'Yes because you will be mine!' So, now that they can read each others minds like in these fantasy kdramas they should romance like other kdramas. So in the next series they can be together. We already had 'My Love from Another Star' and 'My Love Eun Dong'. Now it is time for 'My Love Jian'!

• Like 12
  • LOL 4

3 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

@mujay welcome back on the forum...!

@Joseph Lim

What song is this "sleepless in rainy night"???  who is the singer?  Idon't remember this song in the OST for My Mister?

No Sleepless rainy night song have nothing to do with My Mister:tongue: The only relation is that the singer is our very talented actress Lee Jieun / singer IU. I was just informing mujay that there is an official video of the song she is posting that's all.

Sleepless rainy night is from her latest Flower Bookmark 2 album. Flower Bookmark is a remake album (i.e. all the songs in the album are remake of old songs). She remake old songs that she like for the younger generations so that good old songs will not fade away and be forgotten. This is one of the reason why IU is love and respected by all age group in SK. BTW Sleepless rainy night was first release by Kim Gun Mo in 1992.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

The subtlety of the love line I was ok with because if anything the show didn't budge on their tone. Although, I admit that at one point I was frustrated by the lack of clear delineation of DH's feelings.

I think the first time the writer reveals DH likes JA is when DJY tells her the way to seduce him is to get him to eat and drink with her. That when DH does that, it means he likes her. She is so stunned that she can’t stop staring at DH at the subway station and even misses her stop. Then DH finds an excuse to wait for her by going food shopping, further emphasizing that he likes her.

DJY knows this about DH because they both joined the western music appreciation club because they both liked the same woman in that club. They both competed for the affections of the same woman, YH. There is a scene of DJY and YH listening to western music together during one of their trysts.

The only way the writer can reveal DH’s feelings for JA is through a third party. If he says it out loud, he loses his integrity, and everything goes downhill. He is a married man. Remember, everything he says is being recorded. For example, if Kwang Il had heard words of love between them, he would never have trusted DH with those recordings, and JA would have gone to jail.

After DH sees JA again after the time skip, he is separated from his wife, and initiates skinship with JA for the very first time. Doesn’t let go of her hand until she has to leave. There are spoken promises to see each other again and to call. These two always say what they mean and follow through on what they say. The two of them have just begun.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

@Kimchi Sweet Potato said:  How is everyone fairing? I feel lost :(  Need a new addiction stat!

This reader says:  Don't need a new addiction....got My Mister!

Since you feel lost,  we can play a game:  how many times did Ji-an apologize for anything in this tale? and what that could mean?

@Joseph Lim said:  "No Sleepless rainy night song have nothing to do with My Mister:tongue: The only relation is that the singer is our very talented actress Lee Jieun / singer IU. I was just informing mujay that there is an official video of the song she is posting that's all. "

Did not know people rapped in 1992.  As to the singer...doesn't look or act any thing like Lee Ji-an!  Bring back  our Lee Ji-an,...Lee Ji-eun!  That is one confusing set of names!  Feel like dealing with double personality (multiple personality disorder)! !!

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

22 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@justamom @africandramalover  You think she might have changed the way it ended significantly?   Personally, I was imagining in the final scene that Ji An would have asked her friends to go ahead, turn back and call after Dong Hoon, and just when he's surprised that she would call after him, she would run and hug him again and they would smile at each other.  And then it ends with them turning into a watercolor wash illustration.  :)

For me, I think it became a blessing in disguise for this drama that all those negative comments from the beginning and even well into the middle of its airing forced the writer and the director to come up with more creative and non-conventional ways of showing the love that was blossoming between their main protagonists.  They couldn't possibly use the word "saranghae" between Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An or come up with scenes that hint of romance, or else risk the drama turning into just another May-December love affair.  In fact, I think they only ever used the word "love" for the other minor characters and in a somewhat comedic tone at that (e.g. Assistant Manager Kim telling Park Dong Hoon that he loves his boss).  What came out was a love story with so much depth and told in a very lyrical way. 

Absolutely! Agree with every word you said. I think that forcing the romance to go "underground" made the story all that more subtle and understated. I said around episode 13/14 that I thought it would end with a hug and open ending, that's more or less what we got as well.

I do wonder how much she changed. When the controversy came out, Park Hae Young had apparently written up to episode 14 already. So I don't think the larger outline was changed, but they might have made Dong Hoon's emotions more restrained/repressed. I don't think his love confession in episode 15 was in any way repressed though. Except for the lack of touching, which I suppose would have comforted the haters...but by episode 15 everyone in Korea was clamouring for them to hug!

Also agree with how the show forces the audience and in many ways makes fun of our pre conceptions of "love" and "like" (e.g. Ji An's interrogation with DJY, the comedic scenes you mentioned). Loved all the super meta references e.g. Gwang Il originally thinks something shady is going on but is a complete convert by the end.

@africandramalover here are two of my favourite Jeon Hye Jin / Lee Seon Gyun videos. They are so awesome. She just comes across as so wise and mature, and you can see he really worships and respects her.

https://youtu.be/644oU0pRe3o

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

How is everyone fairing? I feel lost :(

Need a new addiction stat!

I can't even watch anything else at the moment. I feel like I'll just be disappointed. 

As some of you here already know I've been spending the past few days in Dong Hoon's head:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/14713524/

And my one conclusion is, THIS MAN IS SLOW!!!!!!  Like glacially slow. OMG!! I want to make him do more but I can't!!! Imagine what it was like for Park Hae Young :lol:

I mean, I'm the sort of person, if I don't like something, I can't keep it in and you'll hear it from me sooner or later. But Dong Hoon just takes it in, takes it all in, so that the tension keeps building, and building, and without a release valve....he just explodes.

It's officially been a week since the show ended. Real life is slowly drawing me back into its orbit. There is work to do, children to feed, bills to be paid. But the lingering memory of Dong Hoon, Ji An, and their great love keeps a silly smile on my face.

• Like 9
  • LOL 7

1 hour ago, fauna said:

I think the first time the writer reveals DH likes JA is when DJY tells her the way to seduce him is to get him to eat and drink with her. That when DH does that, it means he likes her. She is so stunned that she can’t stop staring at DH at the subway station and even misses her stop. Then DH finds an excuse to wait for her by going food shopping, further emphasizing that he likes her.

You know I personally never really believed the "if he eats with you means he likes you". I remember arching my eyebrows like, "Really? That's it?"

I was pretty stunned myself LOL.

What you said does make sense though, seems like DJY knows him.

But the waiting for her part, yes! It felt like he was somewhat trying his luck, "ok I'm going to grocery shopping... if I see her then I'll walk with her." He even "chided" her, how did you even missed your stop, lol!

• Like 12

20 hours ago, mujay said:

@mujay said: " No..no..dear i'm not ready to end it, i still feel left behind. My anxious feeling get worsen whenever i reading all soompier post,many of us give clearence idea what and why the director/writer give that and this hint, i got nothing, the moment i always waiting the "hug" scene is the most painful scene after Jian phone booth call and her final good bye to her beloved grandma.

I means why after their trilling run and deep expressive inner feeling conversation, he(the man who always take responbility over her in every unconcious occasion)let her go just like nothing ever happening between them, 

I don't like how the writer in the end  shallowing their relatioship just like passer by. I felt hurt for Jian who leave broken heart and like always this strong girl tried to faight with unknown enviroment  alone, when all people have their source streght to move on. The writer just abandoned Jian, that's way the ending remaind unsatisfied for my pov, the writer and Pd abandoned my Jian.what a point healing?

JIAN ALONE..?

Sorry this drama disarray my comfort zone to fainding the healing part like i supposed to be.""""""""

This reader says:  I'm not ready to end anything.  Will hang around this forum for a long time....

But get back to the trial by fire that Lee Ji-an went through.   Throughout her life, she has faced numerous obstacles, both small and large, some seemingly unsurmountable...but she has survived them all, overcome them all... and thanks to Her Ajusshi, has changed and become a better person.

This reader felt for her when she had to take grand mother out of the nursing home, unable to pay the bill, one tiny little girl pushing that heavy gurney down the steep hill.... did she cry?  did she show frustration? did she curse? did she lament?  NO...she just grimly did what she had to do (if that was this reader in her shoes, there will be 4 letters words everywhere from frustration!!!)

Her hard life had conditioned her to be extremely resilient and tough... But she does have a conscience and knows what is right and wrong, and feel emotions but they are all kept deep inside, in a lock box, let they come out and endanger her and grandma survival.

Several of our distinguished soompians have discussed the matter of "whether Ji-an had smooched any one before Ajusshi"....  this discussion makes this reader cringe.... because of the potential abuses and degradations she may have faced in the past just to eat.  But abused or not, she survived them all and at the end, thanks to Ajusshi, could integrate herself for the 1st time into society.

The Lee Ji-an of the first 4 episodes, the grim, taciturn, impolite (the staffs think she was impolite because she did not even answer them when they asked or gave them terse one syllable answer, but did not realize that she never socialized with people and distrusted them) brat …. had at the end becomes a young woman who can socialize, can smile and share her thought with her peers!   This is an amazing transformation and a triumph that she could break out of her hermit-self and becomes human  (after all human....equates society...equates socialization)….and she did it alone in PUSAN, drove on by her promise to Ajusshi (Ji-an will you find peace and comfort like your name... yes... yes).

This reader is impressed that despite her transformation, Ji-an remains essentially Ji-an.  She did not become like many other of her peers, who are only interested in material and emotional needs (shoppings, boyfriends etc..).  She obviously apply herself to her occupation, even become a sign language instructor which takes time and effort.  This shows intelligence, determination and no-nonsense self discipline...…  This reader wonder who else she knew has that attitude?

Then she also found love.   One may say that her love is one sided, unconditional but incomplete.... The truth is that we don't really know what will happen later since we do have an open ending, but one thing we know about Ji-an is that she is very persistent, especially on what she wants or need to do.   Passive Ajusshi with his private life in tattered, living alone eating ramen, smiling once in a while at photos of his son, won't be able to resist her for long.    She is like the beaver that gnaws at the aspen tree trunk.... the tree will fall, no matter how big and strong it may be.  After all, chemistry mixed with persistence becomes.....fire work!!! hahaha.

We just have to be patient and imagine and cheer...…..

PS: @justamom In the same breath, we can curse the writer for making us suffer!!! hahaha

• Like 11
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, justamom said:

I do wonder how much she changed. When the controversy came out, Park Hae Young had apparently written up to episode 14 already. So I don't think the larger outline was changed, but they might have made Dong Hoon's emotions more restrained/repressed.

I read somewhere that she'd actually come up with this drama before Another Oh Hae Young. If if that's true, thank heaven because I'd not have forgiven her if My Mister was screened before AOHY!!!!!! :blush:

I strongly believe they muted the "romantic" interaction between the OTP. However, there's no way they could have changed the entire storyline without destroying the drama.

2 hours ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

How is everyone fairing? I feel lost :(

Need a new addiction stat!

I'm lost too!!!!

but I'll admit, I'm glad to have my life back!! This drama had consumed my everything!!

I can now prepare for a CAT next week and start thinking about my Master's dissertation... (maybe I can include this drama in my paper.:))

I'm currently rewatching My Spring Days because the current dramas might insult my intelligence . :D

• Like 16

20 hours ago, kdramafanlsk said:

And really LSK is Park Dong Hoon. His voice is integral to the story.  This role was made for him. And his understated charm and unconscious sex appeal must have made this age gap even a conflicting issue to some who would outright be nonshippers due to age alone.

And puhleeease, how can anyone think LSK is not good looking (???) He is just not packaged like the other actors because he is an actor's actor, not some celebrity trying to make us swoon by just posing on a couch with a duck face. :lol::lol::lol: 

AMEN, sister!  I never really thought much about LSK's famous voice being a factor in his casting, more like an icing on the cake.  But now I wonder.

• Like 6