[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

16 minutes ago, lilipedmarsh said:

@mxxella I rewatched this movie some days ago. I laughed so hard when lee min ki imagines he was being kissed by seon ye jin :lol: his character in that movie is so different with se hee. Now I wonder.. how lee min ki as se hee will kiss ji hoo :rolleyes::wub:

@rembrandtz_5e20 I hope so. I hope this show stay gold until the last episode :blush:

call me byuntae ahjumma, after i watched BTIMFL, i am searching for all Lee Min Ki's movie n drama, just because i want to know his kissing skill....:D.

And i found one of his drama, called "Very Ordinary Couple", and i got shock with his kissing scene there....watching that just give me another dreaming how he will act as SH when he kiss JH:D:D

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

@triplem here's my thoughts about them.

I like both 2nd and 3rd couples. I can understand what HR feels. Being in relationship for that long, I think she needs some kind of assurance to what stage their relationship will take. I notice that HR is two years older than WS so I think it's understandable if she wants to get married first. I also like the HR expression when SG said that the cause of her anger was because of the displayed sofa. On the other hand, I understand why WS still reluctantly accept the marriage. Because he still doesn't have a firm income.. How would he face HR parents?

For 3rd couple, I feel like they may look happy outside or strong but deep down they are lonely. So I hope SG and SJ will get together soon.

But tbh, I still prefer we have more screentime for the first couple :lol:

• Like 6

kekekek... @bedifferent , @kokodus ~ despite the unconventional setup, it is quite clear that both of them actually crave the conventional domestic setup with each other. it seems to be a natural progression.  his use of pronouns - us, we, ours - already indicates that he thinks of her as part of him now and they are a unit in so many ways. he already feels responsible for her and wants to protect her.... @lclarakl ~ agree with you that see hee will feel intense jealously but have no idea how to catalogue it. hahahahha... @valentvcd ~ am already swooning over a the idea of a hand hold; hahahahah... forget a kiss, I can't wait for them to hold hands and for him to acknowledge that she is his.

@triplem ~ in another drama, we discussed why some relationships break while others survive the same calamity and basically, we concluded that it was need vs want. meaning, when the need of the two parties is fulfilled (whether it is trust, companionship, protectiveness, affection, security, saving face etc), the relationship somehow keeps soldiering on despite calamities (in that drama like infidelity, going to jail, losing a child, disease etc. )

if we look at the third couple, ceo ma has a very strong need to protect but so far, soo ji isn't giving him the space or the acknowledgement to let him do it. even though Ma is making small steps in breaking down those walls (with gifting her a doll and sending her that text message of apology), he has no idea that she is slowly being charmed by his gentleman behaviour. so at some point, he is going to stop making those efforts unless she lets him know that yea, she loves that he steps up to try shield her.

so yea, agree with you that it is the unspoken unfulfilled expectations. often, these expectations can be hard to verbalize into words which makes it difficult for people to communicate exactly what it is that they need. here, we see that ji ho got her hopes up with those pronouns and now is emotionally hurt because the heart of her need is a sense of belonging and companionship. those pronouns indicated to her that they were a unit and she had a place. she was no longer a guest but part of something.

• Like 13

@triplem  Sang Gu develops the dating app that requires the users to input honest answers to find their ideal match.  He needs the same, someone who is brutally honest like Soo Ji to give him a chance at having a real relationship.  Mr Magical Sang Gu thinks he has the magic touch that can deduce women go-in-circle talks.  Truth is he is wrong more times than he realizes so I like that Soo Ji has enough sense and bravado to correct his misconceptions.  He in turns breaks through her tough shell by treating her with dignity and respect.

WS and HR... aahhhh, what can I say? :) Agree with what you said that they are at different stations in life.  She’s happy with her career, he’s still working on it.  She’s also more traditional in her outlook on love where marriage and family are natural endpoints.  Unlike Soo Ji, HR’s personal happiness is not based on her career.  I think both, especially WS, need to get to a place in life that they are both happy as individuals before considering marriage.  They should give themselves time apart to make it happen, to devote their full energy to what make them happy.  Once they have achieved that goal would it be fair to devote their full attention and energy to make the relationship work.  Otherwise, it would be unfair to expect HR to receive less than the 50% that was expected from WS.

@Lmangla did you understand the meaning of the doll SG gave to SJ?  She made some remarks I forgot what it was, he went straight to the machine to win it for her.  I watched it half asleep so I didn’t fully understand the implication. lol. Do you mind sharing your thoughts about it?

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, lilipedmarsh said:

For 3rd couple, I feel like they may look happy outside or strong but deep down they are lonely. So I hope SG and SJ will get together soon.

That’s true. I sense that loneliness especially in the girl. It’s tough for her , she’s got to work much harder & prove that she’s just as good her male counterparts, yet she can’t look like she outshines them lest she gets ostracised. Stressful!

@Lmangla Loved how you explained it. How true that marriage is often about the meeting of needs. That’s why also sometimes spouses stray when one party’s need ( and I’m not talking in a physical sense ) is constantly neglected. 

@bedifferent I agree that couple 2  needs some time apart to look at what they want,  & if they can offer each other what the other party is expecting. A calm honest conversation is much needed. And magical Sang Gu is a bit clueless as well given his sofa comment. But he is a sweet man. This ahjumma here approves :lol:

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, mxxella said:
Spoiler

while waiting for a new episode, found this movie review of lee minki's movie with son ye-jin :)

Movie Review: The Spell That Made Us All Fall for Spellbound (2011)

Spoiler

Date: October 27, 2017 Author: unicaahjumma
Spoiler

Spellbound a.k.a. Chilling Romance movie poster

Having the ability to see what normal people don’t like ghosts and other unworldly things, is it a curse or a gift? Well, it depends on how you look at it. If you’d consider this as something that could save lives or bring justice to restless souls, then it’s a gift. But if you’d see this as something that could ruin your peace and sanity, then it’s definitely a curse. For me, if this would lead me to my one true love (just like the heroine in this feature), then I would embrace this ability with arms wide open as if it’s a blessing from up above. ㅋㅋㅋ. So without much further ado, let me present to you K-Movie Corner‘s Halloween special, Spellbound!

This 2011 horror romcom movie centers on the love story of a street magician (Lee Min-ki) and a ghost-seeing girl (Son Ye-jin), which reminds me so much of the K-Dramas Master’s Sun (2013) and Oh My Ghostess (2015). They all delivered a perfect combination of almost all the feels—spooky, romantic, comedic, and dramatic, making them the top favorites in their genre. But I will be honest here, unlike the two K-Dramas that are filled with lots of twists, Spellbound has a very familiar, if not cliche, movie plot. You know, the guy meets the girl, gets close to her, then discovers her pitiful situation but falls in love with her anyway. Nonetheless, I find the movie very entertaining primarily because of its charming leads, who displayed a very strong chemistry on screen.

[SPOILER ALERT!]

Son Ye-jin is one of those actresses that I truly respect because her acting is always on point. I loved her so much in The Classic and Eraser in My Headwherein her dramatic scenes got me crying a river. Here, she proved her versatility by showcasing a lighter side of her acting prowess. In fact, she got a Best Actress nomination at the 48th Baeksang Arts Awards for her performance in this film. Aside from that, her non-aging visuals never fail to mesmerize me. There are flashback scenes in this movie wherein she’s shown as high school student and girl, she could really pass as one!

Spoiler

Lee Min-ki in character as Ma Jo-goo in the movie Spellbound
Spoiler

Look at that handsome face! 

Lee Min-ki, on the other hand, is a new discovery to me. It’s my first time seeing his acting, and it made me want to go on some serious binge-watching of all his past projects. His cute and funny portrayal in this movie totally won me over. Plus, he’s a master kisser! Omo. And though he’s not the type of oppa whose visuals are strikingly perfect, he will grow on you the more you look at him and will kill you with his oozing sex appeal. Makes me wonder what in the world am I doing all this time to discover him this late?

Read the full review here:

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2017/10/27/movie-review-the-spell-that-made-us-all-fall-for-spellbound-2011/

I wonder if Lee Min Ki will have the same haircut for the whole drama. The shorter style looks really good on him lol 

sorry for all the spoiler content! I'm still trying to figure out how to quote stuff like this (even tho i've been a member for  like 7 years lol) 

Edited by LavelyShai
Quoted Image
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

kekekek... @bedifferent ~ I have also forgotten the exact details of that scene. hahahah.. so from what I remember, there was some conversation about her only looking at memories from men and not relationships. while he said that he hasn't been in a real relationship either (maybe longest was dating 5-6 months). so, he gave her the doll saying it looked like her -- if somebody knows pop culture, they would get what is about that doll but to me, it looked kind of lonely perhaps? but whatever it is, it seemed that she was charmed and touched by his thoughtfulness that he was creating a memory that had more to do with a connection, conversation than a physical one night stand.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

kekekek... @bedifferent ~ I have also forgotten the exact details of that scene. hahahah.. so from what I remember, there was some conversation about her only looking at memories from men and not relationships. while he said that he hasn't been in a real relationship either (maybe longest was dating 5-6 months). so, he gave her the doll saying it looked like her -- if somebody knows pop culture, they would get what is about that doll but to me, it looked kind of lonely perhaps? but whatever it is, it seemed that she was charmed and touched by his thoughtfulness that he was creating a memory that had more to do with a connection, conversation than a physical one night stand.

ohhhh.... I see.  Yeah, I know... feeling senile here hahaha 

Thanks!  Think she may have said that she doesn’t have relationships with men, she makes memories with them.  What happened at night becomes her past and they don’t continue on to the present and future in any kind of relationship.  Sang Gu went to win her the doll so that she would remember him through the doll since she kept telling him she doesn’t remember their night together.  So now, whenever she looks at the doll, she would remember him?! 

I don’t know, anyone else has an interpretation of the doll gifting by Sang Gu?  @stroppyse? :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, triplem said:

That’s true. I sense that loneliness especially in the girl. It’s tough for her , she’s got to work much harder & prove that she’s just as good her male counterparts, yet she can’t look like she outshines them lest she gets ostracised. Stressful!

@Lmangla Loved how you explained it. How true that marriage is often about the meeting of needs. That’s why also sometimes spouses stray when one party’s need ( and I’m not talking in a physical sense ) is constantly neglected. 

@bedifferent I agree that couple 2  needs some time apart to look at what they want,  & if they can offer each other what the other party is expecting. A calm honest conversation is much needed. And magical Sang Gu is a bit clueless as well given his sofa comment. But he is a sweet man. This ahjumma here approves :lol:

@triplem ~ it is interesting to see this conversation here because normally, this is not a topic that shows up in a shorter drama whereas it is more common in family and weekend dramas... but yea, definitely, you see it lots of weekend dramas where the guy ends up straying (whether emotionally or physically or basically mentally withdrawing himself into a solo space) because he feels constantly neglected and his need is not fulfilled. what makes it tricky is that as people, we are not the same.

so for example, both CEO ma and soo ji are in a sense in the same place where they are both lonely. so they need someone strong to stand by their side. like @bedifferent said, he would benefit with someone who tells him how things are. and if she had a guy like sang gu by her side, she can be more free to be her feisty self. there is a kind of freedom that she is not alone and she does not need to fight alone. so she can tell them off. at the same time, other men knowing that she has a strong man by her side means she is less likely to be seen as less of a woman because she is feisty. he is not the kind of man who would be hen pecked and by her side, he is more likely to tap into being aggressive as a business man. so he would be a kind of shield even if he is not in the room by her side.... at the same time, he needs someone who appreciates his protective gestures and notes them. something that irks him is his juniors dont really appreciate or acknowledge what he does freely for them... and so he would really be hurt if it was a significant other who does not acknowledge his hard work and efforts.

whereas with ji ho and see hee, that same need for companionship and having someone by your side has a different tone and tune. ji ho does not need the kind of protection that soo ji needs. like see hee said, ji ho is a determined woman and so is capable of fighting her own battles. she just needs a sense of belonging and place to come home to. similarly, see hee wants someone who makes him comfortable and gives him a sense of being accepted, rested and relaxed.

Edited by Lmangla
  • Like 8

Oh my, the DB recap thread is on fire! Half a day gone and EP6 recap has 270+ comments! And the interesting thing is, the quality of discussion is so damn good.

There's something about how this drama is presented that allows the viewers to look at the relationships btween the characters in totality. We are able to see where JH and SH is coming from, even though we have our own opinions about their behaviour. So too for SG/SJ and WS/HR. And instead of cooing over skinships and what nots, viewers are discussing about human relationships at a much deeper level. I don't know how the writer and PD managed to do this.

It's not just this show that is refreshing, BTIMFL fans are a pretty awesome and unique bunch of people too! 

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

the plushie he won was a character named Pucca. I'm not sure what his implication was, but the character is in love with a ninja named Garo and follows him around most of the time. I think he just meant to give it to her as a memory or to him she looks like her pucca? not sure lol

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@Lmangla did you understand the meaning of the doll SG gave to SJ?  She made some remarks I forgot what it was, he went straight to the machine to win it for her.  I watched it half asleep so I didn’t fully understand the implication. lol. Do you mind sharing your thoughts about it?

Lol, the doll's name is Pucca (뿌까) and from Wiki, it says, "Pucca is also in love with the ninja Garu (가루 [kaɾu]), who is mostly shy to share his feelings back to her. Pucca always seems to beat him in combat and unintentional competition simply by sheer will."

In other words, SuJi's super combative and headstrong like Pucca, lol. (Although Pucca always goes overboard with her love on Garu and almost always pounces on/ strangles him with her overwhelming gestures of love, while SuJi is like, "hi, bang, bye", ha.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, xxPeepsxx said:

Lol, the doll's name is Pucca (뿌까) and from Wiki, it says, "Pucca is also in love with the ninja Garu (가루 [kaɾu]), who is mostly shy to share his feelings back to her. Pucca always seems to beat him in combat and unintentional competition simply by sheer will."

In other words, SuJi's super combative and headstrong like Pucca, lol. (Although Pucca always goes overboard with her love on Garu and almost always pounces on/ strangles him with her overwhelming gestures of love, while SuJi is like, "hi, bang, bye", ha.)

ohhh hahaha xxPeepsxxx perfect! Thank you so much.  All the props from posters to shoes to sweatshirts to doll are quite witty and clever!

Me googling doll on Amazon...

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

This is another fascinating side to NSH on how he DEALS with something so unexpected, so out of his rigid frame, so suffocating for a nerd and and a dork.........He does NOTHING !! Not a word, no denial or concurring, no explanation , no protest, no annoyance, no body movement ( he's in his " couch ' mode " .) He continues drinking his beverage .... not oblivious just not participating and patiently listening to his colleagues merriment and teasing. And they went delirious with this unexpected situation. What a thrill for them.

What's going on in that mind ? A normal person has 6 steps to make a decision. A computer has infinity probabilities. NSH's mind ? He reboots to balance his algorithm .. haha.

What I like is he is RESPECTING JH because he can be caustic and abrasive .

NSH is fascinating to watch and to try to to decipher is a futile task...... I'll just stick to fascinated by his cool-uncool ways. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, chubbyzmae said:

i just curious because some people say BTIMFL is korean version of J-Dorama "We married as job"

is that true?

I never watch that Dorama, but after i reading recap from ep 1 from we married as job, i find similarities and differences too

Well, I didn't like We Got Married As A Job but I LOVE Because This Is My First Life. So...

I think only the cohabiting and sham marriage are the same. Otherwise, I'm all for the Humaness in BTIMFL. On the other hand... I think it's noteworthy that I didn't like the drama Date! either. For some reason, SeHee seems like a guy who could be real to me (probably because I was the female version of that guy in the past, lol) while the guys in the other dramas are just so awkward I cringed...

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, xxPeepsxx said:

Well, I didn't like We Got Married As A Job but I LOVE Because This Is My First Life. So...

I think only the cohabiting and sham marriage are the same. Otherwise, I'm all for the Humaness in BTIMFL. On the hand... I think it'a noteworthy that I didn't like the drama Date! either. For some reason, SeHee seems like a guy who could be real to me (probably because I was the female version of that guy in the past, lol) while the guys in the other dramas are just so awkward I cringed...

Really? so you are a cool girl in the past :):)

Yup after i reading some of recap about we married as a job, i don't like it too

for me BTIMFL is more human, and more natural 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, chubbyzmae said:

i just curious because some people say BTIMFL is korean version of J-Dorama "We married as job"

is that true?

I never watch that Dorama, but after i reading recap from ep 1 from we married as job, i find similarities and differences too

i heard about this drama too :) A friend of mine watched it last year and there seems to be similarities between this one and Because This Is My First Life, But the story is not that fascinating and the couple have so many crazy moments. they even set rules for hugging and stuff :) 

Edited by LavelyShai
Quoted Image
  • Like 6

ep1 Because This is My First Time Being Thirty
ep2 Because This is My First Kiss
ep3 Because This is My First Proposal
ep4 Because This is My First Marriage
ep5 Because This is My First Promise
ep6 Because This is "Our" First Time

While waiting for monday, wondering what is going to be first in ep7

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I watched and loved WGMAAJ last year and the funny thing is, I did not notice the similarities until episode 2.

There are definite similarities: SeHee's job in IT, JiHo being a smart girl but having difficulty with her career, shared housing, marriage contract, JiHo being good at cleaning and cooking but I can also see how BTIMFL's writer made the premise her own.

There is more depth to the story. Well, a 16 episode drama allows more time for development.

Tbh, I can totally separate the two dramas.

Anyway, what I enjoyed the most is in episode one, we were shown that the characters were compatible. JiHo kissed SeHee in a spur of the moment attraction to his words while SeHee rated JiHo highly as a housemate. I like that there is more foundation to why they can work as a couple other than falling for each other because they spend time together daily.

In any case, this drama is my favorite at the moment and I enjoy every minute of it.

32 minutes ago, piekeboeboe said:

ep1 Because This is My First Time Being Thirty
ep2 Because This is My First Kiss
ep3 Because This is My First Proposal
ep4 Because This is My First Marriage
ep5 Because This is My First Promise
ep6 Because This is "Our" First Time

While waiting for monday, wondering what is going to be first in ep7

This is our first fight? hahaha, would love that.

The first time I watched the ending of epsiode6, my heart broke. The second time, I had butterflies...

• Like 8
  • LOL 1