[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

On 10/26/2019 at 7:43 AM, freeze said:

I cannot count how many time I am impressed by his micro expressions :star:

Like in episode 8, when they met each other again at the apothecary (the scene of their first hug). He said 'I thought I'd miss you again' and when Ae Shin replied with "Me too", he was stunned (yeah, this micro expression was priceless. I wasn't even sure that I saw the movement on his face, but I could absolutely feel it :o). The guy must have been coming to the place occasionally (knowing that place was her hideout) hoping he could see her by chance, but he didn't expect and couldn't quite believe that Ae Shin was doing the same thing. 

I love how the writer didn't try to show all the details and leave it to us viewers to interpret what happened through her characters'  expressions and conversations.

*Note: I am re-watching this series with my friend (She watched it the first time) and I found small details that I didn't notice before. I am so glad that at the second time watching, the show still gives me brand new feelings.

Reveal hidden contents

sunshine-08-00165.jpg

I love that scene when they first hug! His almost expressionless face in that scene really tells so much about where his character is emotionally in that moment. On first watch I was a little surprised that he didn't hug her back in that scene. It took me a while to realize that he wasn't able to emotionally be completely invested in their relationship by then because he didn't trust her to really accept him for who he is. Great how they mirrored this scene with the later one in the apothecary when he finally was able to hug her back. Eugene in general is not a talkative character, so his acting in those moments really is all we have to get where he is emotionally.

I think my favorite scenes that really showcase his talent for subtleness is when he asks her to do love with him (the realization on his face the moment she takes is hand and they touch for the first time. It is so subtle, but you just see that this moment shook him to his core and that 2 seconds after going along with his plan of using Ae Shin for his revenge, he already realizes that he's far too deep in and won't be able to do it. You can totally see how this realization makes him uncomfortable with his own feelings as well. The whole scene is full of subtle moments like that) and the scene when they have their confrontation on the ice (that's actually my favorite scene in the whole show because it's the turning point for both their characters. It is noticeable before that scene that Eugene has a lot of complexes with his past as a slave and that he isn't able to see himself as being worth more than his former status, but in this scene it gets especially evident. His whole monologue doesn't even give new information to the viewer, because we already know all the stuff that went down that day. But simply the way his voice breaks more than once and how he sometimes has to practically force himself to say certain words is so heartbreaking to watch and tells much more about how he views himself than 10 pages of info dump in dialogue could. He doesn't even give Ae Shin the chance to react properly. He went into that confrontation with his mind already made up about how Ae Shin would react to his revelation and that's just such a classic case of subconscious thought manifestation, it's really sad to watch. Simply the way he hesitates and is barely able to say the words "[What was it that shocked you, what the noble man said,] or was it my origin" tells so much about his character. If I had to point out my favorite moment acting wise, it would be that one.

Spoiler

172122572fb397253553cf48da7d8da46eca2374.gif

(While making gifs for this show on tumblr, I also came to the realization that his expressions are sometimes so subtle that they are barely noticable anymore when viewed in such a small format:lol:)

Yes I love that as well! The show strictly uses the show don't tell approach and that's so refreshing. Especially in recent years movies and shows mostly do it the other way around, always spoon feeding us information and it's really easy to get used to this approach, even tho it is not how it should work. I actually needed some adjusting to get used to finally seeing something more mainstream that required me to think about the deeper hidden meaning behind words and actions. It's easy to write some parts of the show off as lazy writing or simply not logical, when in reality in most cases it is just done in way that requires the viewer to make connections to different scenes and think about stuff without getting it spelled out for them (which doesn't mean that the show is completely free of some improbable events happening ...)

How is your friend liking it so far?(I've watched it the first time with my sister and it took away a little from my joy of watching it to see that she wasn't moved by some of the stuff happening at all lol).
I've seen the show 4 times by now and I still find new stuff every time I revisit a scene. Just recently I did some analysis of some of the symbolic clues in some of the scenes and I had some completely new realizations. That's really a sign for the quality of the show.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

19 hours ago, BlancheNeige said:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I don't even know why it took me so long to finally post on here, but reading all those old posts really makes me wish that I already was here when the show aired so I could share my thoughts with all the sunshiners who were active during those days. Glad to see that some are still here to this day. I've been mostly active on tumblr over the last months posting my analysis and metas for this wonderful show, but the fandom there is so dead by now, I feel like I'm talking into a void.

Truthfully, the pleasure is all ours, it's so good to read your thoughts and well-written description of Eugene especially. :) It's like going through the live recap and discussion all over again. It would be awesome if you were here before, too but better late than never they say and knowing that you've been reading the old posts here are especially heartwarming. This drama will not be forgotten, even if the real-time streaming and recap are over & done with.. the scenes are still fresh in our minds as ever. I think the more we think back about the series, with inputs of fellow fans we will refresh our memory and unlock more treasures.

Reading what you wrote.. those comments calling Eugene weak and spineless are just mean & simply demeaning. He was more in control of the situation and never acted out of the ordinary given that he's a high-ranking military officer and at the time a representative of the US in Joseon. I must say that Eugene had inherited the good quality of a gentleman from his mother. Despite being slaves for life to a (an undeserving) family, she brought him up in a positive light and the thoughts of her kept him living no matter how tough things were. Eugene could kill the Kim couple straightaway in revenge but all he wanted was to find his parents' graves. Even that wish was impossible but he still held it in, he has the power but he was not drunk with it to go on a bloody rampage. Instead he got HeeSung's mother to voluntary apologize, kneel and beg for her son's life which is a stronger form of revenge instead. A very meaningful scene, conveying a powerful impact.. while she's not directly at fault, Mrs. Kim acknowledges her family's wrongdoing to Eugene's family.

You are absolutely right about Eugene being expressive with Kyle.. he was rather chummy with him, too. That's a strong bond they had.. each would definitely fight & die for the other. Indeed some people thought Eugene was supposedly non-expressive persona with everyone.. they're just being selective, not attentive and never happy that he's the lead who got the girl. no2.gif

Please continue to write and share anything about Mr Sunshine here. It's so good to keep the drama-talk going. The crowd may have left the room but the door is always open. :lol: If you've watched other LBH dramas or movies, the threads are readily available or simply drop by at Lee Byung Hun thread where we'd share & talk about everything.

Soompi forum is most active at the drama threads particularly during the broadcast duration, after that is mostly on and off but interestingly the twitter Sunshiners are still incredibly active and supportive as well. The fans watch other Kdramas and enjoy those as well but they never stop relating to Mr Sunshine every time.

Like this.. when MR.SUNSHINE Meets TALES OF NOKDU :P

Source: @BillyRocks_13

~*Meanwhile Eugene Choi watching #TheTaleOfNokdu trailer n poster..* 
Joon-young, My boy. My lion. I left you for two seconds in Joseon alone and this is what you've become? We need to talk. Where's Ae-sin?

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 3

October 23, 2019

18 Best Korean Dramas of This Decade

By Diksha Sundriyal TheCinemaholic

The wave of Korean dramas has swept over the world, especially after becoming closely associated with streaming services like Netflix. The stories present fresh faces, different characters, a look into Korean culture and history and a form of storytelling that is not seen anywhere else in the world. These genre-bending shows have lovable characters at their heart and their refreshing take on the world makes them even more alluring. If you are a K-drama lover, you should heed this list of best Korean dramas of the 2010s:

18. The King’s Doctor (2012)

17. Bridal Mask (2012)

16. Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (2016)

15. Healer (2014-2015)

14. Reply 1988 (2015-2016)

13. Arthdal Chronicles (2019)

12. Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (2016-2017)

11. Mr Sunshine (2018)

MR-SUNSHINE-1-1.jpg

‘Mr Sunshine’ stars Lee Byung-hun in the lead role. He is known for working in films like ‘The Good, the Bad, the Weird’, ‘I Saw the Devil’, ‘Inside Men’, ‘The Magnificent Seven’, ‘Terminator Genisys’, and a whole lot of other successful projects. ‘Mr Sunshine’ marked his return to Korean television, and the show became one of the highest-rated dramas of the year. It follows the story of a man who had escaped to the United States when he was a boy and now returns to Korea as a US Marine Corps officer. He struggles in belonging to his homeland but also has to jump into action because a dangerous scheme against the country is in the works.

10. Stranger (2017)

9. Children of Nobody (2019)

8. My Mister (2018)

7. Good Doctor (2013)

6. Misaeng: Incomplete Life (2014)

5. Kingdom (2019)

4. The Slave Hunters (2010)

3. Love Alarm (2019)

2. Descendants of the Sun (2016)

1. Mother (2018)

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 4:12 AM, BlancheNeige said:

How is your friend liking it so far?(I've watched it the first time with my sister and it took away a little from my joy of watching it to see that she wasn't moved by some of the stuff happening at all lol).

Same here :D I don't want good details to be missed out so I made a lot of efforts to explain things to her but she seems to only care about the overall plot.

While making gifs for this show on tumblr, I also came to the realization that his expressions are sometimes so subtle that they are barely noticable anymore when viewed in such a small format

LOL :joy:

I've seen the show 4 times by now and I still find new stuff every time I revisit a scene. Just recently I did some analysis of some of the symbolic clues in some of the scenes and I had some completely new realizations. That's really a sign for the quality of the show.

What analysis? What clues? Tell us all. I'm dying to hear about those!

On 10/27/2019 at 9:03 PM, rubie said:

Reading Kdrama news mentioning series coming back with Season 2 makes me sigh for Mr Sunshine. Obviously it will never happen (even if the cast declines at first, they can change their minds) but with that ending.. the possibility is totally impossible. :tears: 

Maybe some kind of reincarnation like in Chicago Typewriter where they have fragmented memory of the previous life. Anything is possible as long as our writer wants it to be. But I doubt she does.

She shot a bullet to our hearts with that ending :tears: and I don't think she would ever take it out. Right now she's probably enjoying the fact that we cannot get over Mr Sunshine even after a year, and maybe many more years to come LOL

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I happened to see a blog post about Mr Sunshine today (It seems Google recognizes me as a Sunshiners and puts this to my daily news suggestions :tongue:)

"In today’s Western world where romance has been reduced to flirting-with-then- falling-into-bed with someone, the polite bonding rituals here might seem old-fashioned. But this is 1902: Different rules apply, and restraint is in order. We are given the chance to become reacquainted with the courtships of yore, the realms of Jane Austen, or even Kar-Wai Wong’s In the Mood for Love. The dialogue is spare, the silences vast, the euphemisms copious as we strain to read between the lines or listen to the silences. Eun-sook Kim’s elliptical dialogue is so refined, so suggestive, so sensitively filigreed, that Austen’s dialogue between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth seems crudely literal by comparison. As we lean into the sweet nothings and somethings of intense romantic communication between two might-be lovers, the hormone oxytocin fairly oozes from the pixels on the screen as we find ourselves falling in love again—with falling in love."

Read the full post here: The Intoxicating Radiance Of Mr. Sunshine: What Hollywood Could Learn From A South Korean TV Series (By BROOKS RILEY)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2019 at 5:06 PM, rubie said:

You are absolutely right about Eugene being expressive with Kyle.. he was rather chummy with him, too. That's a strong bond they had.. each would definitely fight & die for the other. Indeed some people thought Eugene was supposedly non-expressive persona with everyone.. they're just being selective, not attentive and never happy that he's the lead who got the girl. no2.gif

Please continue to write and share anything about Mr Sunshine here. It's so good to keep the drama-talk going. The crowd may have left the room but the door is always open. :lol: If you've watched other LBH dramas or movies, the threads are readily available or simply drop by at Lee Byung Hun thread where we'd share & talk about everything.

Thanks, I'll definitely stop by at the LBH thread at some point and will try to take part of the discussions going on here. It's always interesting to read the perspective of other people ... I mean most of the time:lol:

On 10/29/2019 at 4:41 PM, freeze said:

Same here :D I don't want good details to be missed out so I made a lot of efforts to explain things to her but she seems to only care about the overall plot.

LOL :joy:

What analysis? What clues? Tell us all. I'm dying to hear about those!

Oh god, same here. I also tried to watch it with a friend once. She claimed that she loves it but she was on her phone half the time, so 90% of the nuances were lost on her. That was so frustrating. Well, guess not everyone can appreciate good art lol

Oh well, I wrote some analysis on my tumblr blog. But I have to warn you, they are super long lol. If you are interested despite that, you can find two of them here and here. I have a few middle length ones on my blog as well but I'm mostly posting shorter ones on my twitter account now (in other words, I have no life lol But it's not my fault that there is so much to analyse about this show:lol:)

On 10/30/2019 at 5:16 AM, freeze said:

I happened to see a blog post about Mr Sunshine today (It seems Google recognizes me as a Sunshiners and puts this to my daily news suggestions :tongue:)

"In today’s Western world where romance has been reduced to flirting-with-then- falling-into-bed with someone, the polite bonding rituals here might seem old-fashioned. But this is 1902: Different rules apply, and restraint is in order. We are given the chance to become reacquainted with the courtships of yore, the realms of Jane Austen, or even Kar-Wai Wong’s In the Mood for Love. The dialogue is spare, the silences vast, the euphemisms copious as we strain to read between the lines or listen to the silences. Eun-sook Kim’s elliptical dialogue is so refined, so suggestive, so sensitively filigreed, that Austen’s dialogue between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth seems crudely literal by comparison. As we lean into the sweet nothings and somethings of intense romantic communication between two might-be lovers, the hormone oxytocin fairly oozes from the pixels on the screen as we find ourselves falling in love again—with falling in love."

Read the full post here: The Intoxicating Radiance Of Mr. Sunshine: What Hollywood Could Learn From A South Korean TV Series (By BROOKS RILEY)

Omg I absolutely love this essay. It just perfectly puts in words everything I love about this show. As a classic literature geek myself, I found myself reminded of so many great element from classics while watching the show. It's so rare that stories get told like that anymore. Love the special mention of the dialogue. There are many writers/directors who are able to write good and realistic dialogue (not a fan, but Tarantino for example is a master of dialogue) but in this show the dialogue really becomes a form of art itself. I love almost all aspects of this show, but if I had to pick one thing that stands out the most, I would probably pick the dialogue. I've been learning about storytelling and writing for some years now, but I've never seen anything like this before and was never aware that dialogue could be used in this way. Her reliance on certain words and phrases to create vivid images in the viewers head and strengthen different meanings and themes is really admirable and inspirational. 

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing this with us!

• Like 3

On 10/31/2019 at 11:52 PM, BlancheNeige said:

Oh well, I wrote some analysis on my tumblr blog. But I have to warn you, they are super long lol. If you are interested despite that, you can find two of them here and here. I have a few middle length ones on my blog as well but I'm mostly posting shorter ones on my twitter account now (in other words, I have no life lol But it's not my fault that there is so much to analyse about this show:lol:)

I read the post about symbolism. What an amazing analysis you have there! I will read the other one soon. Those are surely lengthy but I don't mind.

I love your analysis of Ae Shin jumping of the wall here. That scene is one of my most favorites of this series that I watched again and again. Eugene walks away in sadness knowing that he would never get the approval from Lord Go and ahead of them is longing and pain, then his woman chases after him and for a moment, makes his heart warm again.

This is where Ae Shins act of jumping over the wall to run after Eugene right after he got rejected by her Grandfather because of both his slave status and his American nationality becomes a far stronger meaning. It is in that moment that she finally decides to stand by his side, no matter if society want’s to dictate her otherwise. This is further empathized by Eugenes act of putting her shoe back on and beforehand intimately touching her foot (and her allowing him to do so). It is a clear sign from her side that social hierarchies don’t matter anymore, at least in the face of her grandfather.

** I find the scene of Eugene gently putting her shoe back on the one he's most handsome LOL :D His eyes are full of surprise, delight and love. After all -- as he stated on the last episode 'I risk my life for that shoe of yours' -- this is the moment that marks his new stage in their relationship. He become fully devoted to Ae Shin afterwards with everything he has including his life.

I once read that Joseon woman (or maybe only noblewoman -- I don't remember) must not let men see their feet, or footwear and that's why in the tailor shop in early episodes, Ae Shin tries to cover her feet with her skirt when Eugene steps into the trying room. I could not find any resources to verify this; but if it is the case, Eugene putting Ae Shin's shoe back on and Ae Shin letting him do so act as an acknowledge of their places in each other's heart and that seems more intimate, romantic and meaningful to me than any kiss or marriage scene could be.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:52 PM, BlancheNeige said:

Omg I absolutely love this essay. It just perfectly puts in words everything I love about this show. As a classic literature geek myself, I found myself reminded of so many great element from classics while watching the show. It's so rare that stories get told like that anymore. Love the special mention of the dialogue. There are many writers/directors who are able to write good and realistic dialogue (not a fan, but Tarantino for example is a master of dialogue) but in this show the dialogue really becomes a form of art itself. I love almost all aspects of this show, but if I had to pick one thing that stands out the most, I would probably pick the dialogue. I've been learning about storytelling and writing for some years now, but I've never seen anything like this before and was never aware that dialogue could be used in this way. Her reliance on certain words and phrases to create vivid images in the viewers head and strengthen different meanings and themes is really admirable and inspirational. 

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing this with us!

I love it as much as you do. It describe perfectly what I feel but unable to put into words myself. It's great to hear such deep and detailed analysis more than one year after the series ended, and even greater to know that the series makes it way to a blog of thoughtful writers where TV series is not even the main focus.

• Like 3

On 11/3/2019 at 6:38 PM, freeze said:

I read the post about symbolism. What an amazing analysis you have there! I will read the other one soon. Those are surely lengthy but I don't mind.

I love your analysis of Ae Shin jumping of the wall here. That scene is one of my most favorites of this series that I watched again and again. Eugene walks away in sadness knowing that he would never get the approval from Lord Go and ahead of them is longing and pain, then his woman chases after him and for a moment, makes his heart warm again.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it:) I'm a total nerd for symbolism and leitmotivs, so this show really is a dream come true for me. Hard to find anything like that anymore sadly:/

I love that scene as well! I'm still amazed every time I watch it how it doesn't come across as totally cheesy romance kitsch. There is a really fine line there but it never crosses it, probably because the emotions are so deep, honest and heartfelt. I've felt especially bad for Eugene in that moment, being rejected by her grandfather for his American nationality AND his former slave status (and as you've said knowing that this would make them being together even more impossible than it already was) and then being told by Ae Shin to leave, thinking she really wanted him to go. The relive and surprise on his face when he saw her running after him gets me every time.

** I find the scene of Eugene gently putting her shoe back on the one he's most handsome LOL :D His eyes are full of surprise, delight and love. After all -- as he stated on the last episode 'I risk my life for that shoe of yours' -- this is the moment that marks his new stage in their relationship. He become fully devoted to Ae Shin afterwards with everything he has including his life.

I once read that Joseon woman (or maybe only noblewoman -- I don't remember) must not let men see their feet, or footwear and that's why in the tailor shop in early episodes, Ae Shin tries to cover her feet with her skirt when Eugene steps into the trying room. I could not find any resources to verify this; but if it is the case, Eugene putting Ae Shin's shoe back on and Ae Shin letting him do so act as an acknowledge of their places in each other's heart and that seems more intimate, romantic and meaningful to me than any kiss or marriage scene could be.

Hard to say when Eugene is at his most handsome lol But the light in this scene really makes him look especially beautiful (as does the love and delight that is so clearly to see in his eyes. His expression is so open and vulnerable in that moment).

As far as I know, only servants and a husband was allowed to touch a woman's feet (so this probably was more a rule for noblewoman) so this scene has a strong double meaning for me (there was a very similar thing in victorian and edwardian era england were it was absolutely scandalous for a woman to bare her ankles, so it doesn't sound far fetched at all) For one, I would say from Eugenes side it is an act of devotion and servitude to the woman he loves and Ae Shin not rejecting him touching her feet (I love how they so clearly focus on him cleaning her foot beforehand) and putting her shoe back on could be seen as a sign that in her heart, s

he already accepted him as her rightful husband. It is a really tender and incredible intimate moment that shows both of them being completely vulnerable with each other and as you've said, no kiss could ever have the same weight as that for me.

I love it as much as you do. It describe perfectly what I feel but unable to put into words myself. It's great to hear such deep and detailed analysis more than one year after the series ended, and even greater to know that the series makes it way to a blog of thoughtful writers where TV series is not even the main focus.

True! The writer clearly has a vast knowledge about about literature and the arts in general. I've also noticed that Mr. Sunshine is heavily influenced by the classics and a combination of how stories were told back then, but presented in a slightly modernized package (and is also able to go into much more depth in it's creation of characters since we have a much broader understanding of psychology today). It's the kind of story that probably would have been a classic for century's to come, had it been written 100-200 years ago, kinda like Les Miserables and War and Peace. This thoughtful review really brings that across as well.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 11/5/2019 at 11:20 PM, rubie said:

We miss you, too... when will we #SeeYouAgain

Thank you for the GIF and clip mrs.jpg

I like that Eugene kept (proudly) telling people they are married :D And he did in 3 different languages in the span of 1 episode.

They were really having their good time in Japan regardless of the chaos.

Taking a photo together

Ep21-6.jpg

Running towards the fireworks, hands in hands

Ep21-5.jpg

Spending the night together

Ep21-8.jpg

The reckless man was wildly happy

Ep21-7.jpg

In Eugene mind, this might look just like a honeymoon to him. Or should I say, a picnic.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

• 2 weeks later...

November 22, 2019

CJ ENM's drama-making wing Studio Dragon forges partnership with Netflix to create original content

Reporter Park Sae-jin | Aju Business Daily

[Courtesy of Netflix]

[Courtesy of Netflix]

SEOUL -- CJ ENM, the entertainment wing of South Korean conglomerate CJ Group, and Studio Dragon, the drama-making wing of CJ ENM, has forged a three-year partnership with Netflix, the world's largest over-the-top video-on-demand service to create original content.

Netflix said in a statement on Thursday that the American over-the-top (OTT) company has partnered with CJ ENM and Studio Dragon to produce Netflix's original content starting next year. The content produced by Studio Dragon will be available to Netflix members around the world, the OTT company said.

Through the partnership, Netflix will receive distribution rights to Studio Dragon's titles while CJ ENM will have the right to sell up to 4.99% of Studio Dragon shares to Netflix. "We're thrilled to be partnering with both CJ ENM and Studio Dragon and look forward to a prosperous relationship for many years to come," said Netflix CEO Reed Hastings.

Netflix, which has some two million paid subscribers in South Korea, has previously successfully mesmerized members around the world with Studio Dragon's drama content such as Mr. Sunshine, Memories of Alhambra, Romance is A Bonus Book, and Arthdal Chronicles.

Original contents, including dramas and movies tailored to OTT video-on-demand service users in South Korea, have contributed to a sharp increase in the number of Netflix fans. Netflix has aggressively added a lineup of South Korean blockbuster dramas to attract young viewers.

Spoiler

To stop Netflix's dominance in South Korea's thriving OTT market, local service operators including internet protocol TV (IPTV) and OTT operators have teamed up to combine their services to attract young content consumers.

In March, SK Telecom, South Korea's top mobile carrier, started working with three major domestic broadcasters to merge its OTT service Oksusu and POOQ, an OTT service operated by broadcasters, to check Netflix. As a result, a new OTT platform "Wayvve" was launched in September but many consumers complained about the lack of the new service's user experience.

• Like 2

Source: Sandra @Showluvhan

Still the best 1st encounter for me in my kdrama history #MrSunshine

One More Step mrs.jpg

Source: dohwa edogawa @ppeanutbutt

December 5, 2019

CJ ENM and Studio Dragon Ink Pact with Netflix
Global Streamer Doubles Down on Korean Content

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

Spoiler

voFIFcVgZcGcmEqDwfrq.jpg

Korean entertainment major CJ ENM, along with its subsidiary Studio Dragon, have signed a distribution agreement with global streaming giant Netflix. The multi-year deal will encompass production and distribution.

The three-year pact will begin in 2020 and will see Studio Dragon develop original shows for the streaming platform, which will also have access to select pre-existing Studio Dragon properties. Part of the deal stipulates that CJ ENM may sell up to 4.99% of Studio Dragon’s shares to Netflix.

CJ ENM produced content for theatres and the home market, the latter through the 17 channels it operates, including tvN and OCN. Studio Dragon is known for its K-drama series, including hits such as Signal, Stranger and Guardian: The Lonely and Great God. Netflix has already hosted several Studio Dragon titles, including Stranger, Mr. Sunshine and Memories of Alhambra.

Ted SARANDOS, Chief Content Officer at Netflix, related that “CJ ENM and Studio Dragon represent the gold standard in Korean entertainment and we are excited and honored to work with them. This partnership with CJ ENM and Studio Dragon demonstrates our commitment to Korean entertainment and allows us to bring more top-tier Korean drama to Netflix members in Korea and all over the world.”

“Today’s announcement is a recognition that Korean storytelling and production capabilities are beloved by global audiences and reaffirms the content creation prowess of both CJ ENM and Studio Dragon. Studio Dragon will try its best to leap forward as a global major studio,” related Jinnie CHOI, CEO of Studio Dragon.

• Like 2

I have been watching Korean dramas for about a year now. “Mr. Sunshine” was my introduction to the supremely talented Koreans who write, direct, produce and star in these works of art. Anytime I try to encourage friends or family to get on the Korean bandwagon, I tell them to start with “Mr. Sunshine”. It truly has everything: history, scenery, music, costumes, cinematography, action, humor and love. Last, but not least the beautiful, talented actors who excelled in their roles.

I was devastated by the ending, but really there was no other way to end the story and it really wasn’t the end. :heart:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello @TXviewer and welcome to MR.SUNSHINE.. really glad to read your thoughts on the drama. Indeed, this is one very unforgettable series.. a deeply memorable story that are hard to let go. It's wonderful to know that MR.SUNSHINE introduced you to Korean dramas, there could not have been a more perfect choice. :) Hope you will continue to enjoy watching many more Korean dramas and do drop a line or two here if you feel like discussing about Mr. Sunshine;.

Found this article mentioning Mr.Sunshine. I remember there was 'Line Friends character' created for Eugene Choi & the gang during the airing of the drama last year but can't easily find the images anywhere. It's probably posted somewhere in this thread too but it's a bit hard to look through all the pages. Anyone has any idea where to find them?

December 12, 2019

LINE character brand collaborates with Netflix to create original animation series

Park Sae-jin Reporter | AJU Business Daily

[Courtesy of LINE FRIENDS]
[Courtesy of LINE FRIENDS]

SEOUL -- LINE FRIENDS, a character brand lineup of Naver's smartphone messaging app provider has partnered with Netflix, the world's largest over-the-top video-on-demand service provider, to create an original animation series following the successful launch of its BTS-themed character business.

The character brand said Thursday that it forged a global partnership with Netflix to create a 3D animation series that would be available for Netflix subscribers in some 190 countries. LINE FRIENDS vice president Kim Kyung-dong said the partnership will strengthen the competitiveness of its intellectual property in the global content industry and expand its presence as a creative studio.

The character brand, which is popular in South Korea, Japan and other Asian countries, collaborated with K-pop band BTS in January this year to sell plush character toys and other everyday essential items featuring characters co-created by LINE FRIENDS and BTS members. The server of LINE FRIENDS' online store crashed down on its opening due to traffic overload.

Netflix forged a three-year partnership with CJ ENM, the country's top media content creator, and its drama production company, Studio Dragon, to produce and distribute original content. It has mesmerized members around the world with Studio Dragon's drama content such as Mr. Sunshine, Memories of Alhambra, Romance is A Bonus Book, and Arthdal Chronicles.

• Like 2