Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

mrs.jpg Bromance of 303 & 304 lives on:

Grateful & happy.. Captain Eugene Choi/Lee Byung Hun posted photos of the coffee truck sent by Kim Hee Sung/Byun Yo Han (to the filming site of movie, Mount Baekdu).

In his caption, Mr.Sunshine said: Thank you, room 303!cuppa.gif

Source: BillyRocks_13

• Like 2

#Throwback

Didn't have this shared before while they were filming but better late than never. From her costume attire, likely toward the end of the drama.

Highlighted by Kim Tae Ri fan-IG (formerly Chungmuro Crumb)

• Like 1

i am curious what happened in this series.. i dropped it at ep 6 or 7 because was really bored..

but did all three men die? Pretty sure the other two barring "to-be husband" must have died.. but did to be hubby also die?

12 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

i am curious what happened in this series.. i dropped it at ep 6 or 7 because was really bored..

but did all three men die? Pretty sure the other two barring "to-be husband" must have died.. but did to be hubby also die?

Yes, 4 out of the 5 main cast perished except Ae Shin. We had hoped that Eugene and Ae Shin will make it through the finale as they were fictional characters in a history-based drama but writer KES had chosen otherwise, sticking to her "Guns, Glory and Sad Ending" slogan till the very end. dontcare.gif

She wrote such tragic ending to those who died, to show severity of the era and making it unforgettable.. perhaps. However, the scene showing Eugene's Choi final moments were not quite plausible for many as it had appeared rushed and hasty. Considering the character's background in the Marines and that he had survived a more serious situation, his sacrifice seemed unnecessary. The drama was building up to feature at least one "positive ending" amidst the bleak scenario but alas, it was not meant to be. 

Well, the drama is definitely more on the serious side considering the time of the Japanese occupation. But it has a great story to tell without the usual poor girl damsel in distress plot-wise. The drama definitely made an impact from start till the end but personally, it would still be as memorable if not more even with a happy ending. During the finale, everyone was shocked and especially heartbroken.. now it's even more sad to remember considering that a happy ending was not that impossible. Nonetheless, a wonderful fan has come up with an alternate ending for Mr.Sunshine.

Anyway.. sorry for the long reply instead.. 

Sharing a Mr.Sunshine thread by a fan on twitter..

• Like 1

Didn't realize that LJE was in the award-winning movie, Parasite till the coverage in Cannes. Really happy that our Haman-daek is doing so well. Have watched this versatile actress a lot in various Kdramas but she's most charming in Mr.Sunshine, of course. Seeing her gracing the cover of CINE21, simply awesome.

Well done and well deserved Ms. Lee! mrs.jpg

June 22, 2019

Lee Jung-eun is always up for a challenge
‘Parasite’ star has made a career out of scene-stealing roles in film and television

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

21200903.jpg
Lee Jung-eun, who plays a housekeeper in Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite,” has appeared in countless films, TV dramas and plays throughout her 28-year acting career. Clockwise from top are her appearances in the movies “Parasite” (2019), “Another Child” (2019), “The Attorney” (2013) and the JTBC drama “The Light in Your Eyes” (2019). Lee will play a leading role in OCN’s upcoming thriller series “Hell is Other People.” [CJ ENTERTAINMENT, JTBC, NEW, SHOWBOX]

There are many moments in “Parasite” that make the movie a thriller, but the scene where housekeeper Moon-gwang eerily peers into the video intercom screen on a rainy day is probably what keeps moviegoers up at night. 

Yet Lee Jung-eun, the veteran actress who plays the scene-stealer in this year’s Palme d’Or winner, was worried that she wouldn’t be able to pull off the role when she first received the offer to star in Bong Joon-ho’s newest project. 

“I have a cute image, so I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to be scary,” she told the JoongAng Ilbo, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, during an interview earlier this month. 

Throughout her 28-year acting career, Lee has starred in countless films, dramas and plays, taking on roles that transcend genre, time periods and species. She has played a Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) maidservant in the historical romance drama series “Mister Sunshine” (2018) and voiced the role of a genetically modified pig in the 2017 science fiction movie “Okja,” which was her second film with Bong after “Mother” (2009). 

Although she usually plays minor roles, Lee has received critical acclaim for her appearances, most recently snatching the Best Supporting Actress prize at the 55th Baeksang Arts Awards for her role in drama “The Light in Your Eyes” (2019). Having proved her capacity to scare in “Parasite,” Lee’s now getting ready to star in a leading role in OCN’s upcoming thriller series “Hell is Other People,” where she will play a suspicious landlord.

The following are edited excerpts from the interview, where Lee discussed “Parasite” and her colorful acting career. 

Q. This is your third time working with Bong. How were your previous encounters with him? 

A. I met Bong after my third audition for “Mother.” Even though my role was really small, Bong paid a lot of attention and that encouraged me to work even harder. After some time had passed, Bong appeared one day with Won Bin and Song Sae-byeok to watch my performance in the musical “Laundry.” After the show ended, he stood up and started clapping, leading the rest of the audience to give a standing ovation. I think he got the idea to cast me as “Okja” from hearing my voice then. I prepared a lot for “Okja” and tried to imitate the sounds of similar animals. Bong told me that I tried very hard, and suggested that we do more strange things in the future. 

How did you get the offer to star in “Parasite”?

On the day of the film preview for “Okja,” Bong told me to empty my schedule for the next year and handed me a piece of paper with the storyboard for “Parasite.” It showed Moon-gwang leaning against the wall like she was pushing something. When Bong told me it was going to be fun and weird, I got the urge to challenge myself. I read the full script last May before filming and I really liked it. 

Was the intercom scene the first thing you shot for the movie? 

It was the second. Before that, I filmed the scene where I get fired. People tell me they were scared by the intercom scene, but I actually expected it to be funny. Friends who have seen the movie tell me it reminds them of when I‘m drunk. 

What did you do to prepare for the role of Moon-gwang?

I’ve been to a similar home of a wealthy family, and the housekeepers there are really graceful, almost to the point that it’s difficult to distinguish them from the actual homeowner. They all drive nice cars and read books in their free time. I guess this behavior may be requested as part of their job, and that’s what Bong ordered me to do as well. 

In “Parasite” I throw disapproving glances at young Ki-woo when he comes to the Parks’ home for the tutoring job interview, even though my character is in the position of living off the family. I still get excited when I see that scene. 

You’ve worked before with Park Myung-hoon, who plays your character’s husband in “Parasite.” How was acting with him again? 

We first met at the premiere for the play “Liar” in 2005. We were surprised by the casting choice for this movie. We discussed a lot about what a couple without children may be like. 

How did you first get into acting?

My mom told me that I don’t really look like an actor, but I enjoyed dancing and singing in front of people. Park Kwang-jung asked me to help him with a theater production in Daehangno[, central Seoul, in the 1990s]. I made a deal with him that if I helped him out with three productions, he would cast me as an actor. 

What is your philosophy when it comes to acting? 

I generally try to be cheerful during filming. Even when I have a concern, I only express it after I fulfill my responsibilities. I also try to act like the cameras are rolling during rehearsals. I think I’ve learned how to empty myself a bit. I enjoy taking on whatever roles that come my way and contributing to good stories. People say that I was a good actor in “Parasite,” but my role had already been set up that way. It’s the directors and writers that make the projects what they are. Actors only add a bit of creativity. I want to be like Chow Yun-fat. I like how he just lives a regular life, taking the subway and mixing with the public. I would be happy to just have fans occasionally recognize me on the street and ask for a picture. 

BY NA WON-JEONG [kim.eunjin1@joongang.co.kr]

Photo: CINE21

Spoiler

• Like 2

mrs.jpg #Throwback

Lead actors at the PC before MR.SUNSHINE

EUSHIN after MR.SUNSHINE mrs.jpg

Source: [17’s 래] 이지훈 내남편 @17_jihoom

Mr sunshine, a 10/10 dramas that kept me on my toes. I barely skipped any part since every scene is just so beautifully made. The plot itself without the added romance or bromance is intriguing, the romance is on another level. Totally recommended. Wont regret watching this yall!

D961l1eVUAEVn6w.jpg

• Like 1

6/27 Lee Byung Hun sent a coffee truck support to Song Seung Hun at his drama filming site (tvN's The Great Show). Back in January, SSH had sent LBH a coffee & tea truck at the movie set of The Man Standing Next

Photos: Song Seung Hun via Newsen / SSH Peru

Caption:  Eugene Choi !! Thank you for your support !  (SSH re-enacting Mr.Sunshine's famous scene)

20190627ssh.jpg

• Like 1

#Throwback #LeeJungEun #KimTaeRi

Source: Kim Tae Ri fans

In KBS 'Joy of Conversation', Actress Lee Jung Eun shared her thought about her best scene in [Mr Sunshine].

"In 'Mr Sunshine' I played as Haman-daek, Aegissi's nanny, friend and bodyguard".
"I remember Haman-daek's decision to die for the next generation. I had to relieve my emotions and express myself calmly but I kept crying," she recalled.
"There was a fond feeling for the next generation. For the perfect scene, I've spent about four days secluded myself", she added.
"I still think Kim Tae Ri is my Aegissi until now. I've all been affectionated by Kim Tae Ri and Shin Jung Geun Sunbaenim (Haengrang-abom), I feel like we are a little family " .

We all still think of you too... Mrs Haman and her Aegissi... 

• Like 1

A clip featuring the versatile actress Lee Jung Eun. The first 2 minutes highlighting her role as Haman-daek in Mr.Sunshine. 

An interview article of the actress, now making waves after acting in 'Parasite'. There was no news of her being in the movie until the screening in Cannes.

Now is definitely her time to shine bright. mrs.jpg

July 1, 2019

LEE Jung-eun, Actress in PARASITE
“I always think of the structural role of my part”

by SONG Soon-jin KOFIC

* This article contains spoilers for the movie. (please check out Kofic link for full article)

Moon-gwang, the housekeeper of the mansion in BONG Joon-ho’s PARASITE, is a character who carries a critical secret that radically changes the flow of the story. If you happen to be somewhat familiar with the face of this secretive character, it is the sure sign that you must have been watching a lot of Korean TV series for quite some time. LEE Jung-eun is an actress who regularly demonstrated a strong presence recently in Korean films and series big and small. She played the warm nanny Haman-daek in Mister Sunshine, a drama from screenwriter KIM Eun-sook that was broadcast last year, and this year she and Mother (2009) lead actress KIM Hye-ja moved the audiences to tears in Dazzling.

Spoiler

Her recent work, however, is even more interesting, as she took on the title of a real scene stealer with her portrayal of the “Breakwater Lady” who extorts money from outsiders in Another Child, actor KIM Yun-seok’s directing debut. The actress, whose appearance in PARASITE was in itself a spoiler until right before the release of the film, is now growing into an actress who brings us the pleasure of discovery.

Spoiler

xESixCQwpetJdfiLwjzQ.jpg

• Like 1

MR.SUNSHINE 2018.07.07

Source: @852dimsoul

Of all the characters death, his was the most unbelievable. I was still waiting for a mere hope that he'll survive Captain Eugene Choi of US Marine Corps, signing off huhuhuhuhuhu nariiii #MrSunshine #ChoiYujin #EugeneChoi

Spoiler

D-vWVb-VAAATXtO.jpg

The most painful part of this kdrama. I really thought he'd survived since he's one of the main character. I just forgot for a second, this was kdrama, expect the unexpected. I just cried my eyes out over you The greatest and noble one.

Spoiler

D-wYZPGUEAAbUXK.jpg

D-wYZyXUIAAWeUS.jpg

Source: @ddo_boja (captures of Scarlett from Search: WWW)

This was my mood throughout #MrSunshine 

D-LpP-FU4AIpbNH.jpg

D-LpP-FU4AA5uLe.jpg

• Like 1

MR.SUNSHINE 1 Year Anniversary 07.07 mrs.jpg

Source: Kim Tae Ri fans

"Some people move on but not us..." .
Mr Sunshine 1st Anniversary !!!
Today, one year ago, pilot eps of Mr Sunshine was aired on Korea (and Netflix one hour later). In short time, it became 국민 드라마 (Nation Drama) at that time, the most buzzworthy drama for weeks. 
I really enjoyed read every comments, discussions, opinion and different reactions here, especially when it came to last episodes . I've remembered how desperate we were when it was airing. Every Saturday and Sunday, we were waiting for a K scene (that never came ) or waiting with anxiety how was it ending would be (the most bitter sad-ending that i've ever seen in Kdrama history ).
So, for those who are still rewatch this series at least twice a month and keep playing its ost everyday, If you have a chance, which one that you want to change, see a K (or maybe a lot of K,or maybe more than K) scene, or see a happy ending ?
You can only choose one, not both of them 

*For me, i choose a happy ending, so i can move on...

• Like 1

MR.SUNSHINE Collage mrs.jpg

By Helen Seremetis @h_seremetis

OTD in 2018 #mrsunshine premiered. Happy Anniversary! #leebyunghun #kimtaeri #yooyeonseok #byunyohan #kimminjung  #tvndrama #netflix

D-2qVSwWsAATGOk.jpg

• Like 1

Source: 태양 @TaeYang90_ mrs.jpg

7/7 First anniversary of my PRECIOUS drama #MrSunshine
the one of the best dramas I've ever seen . Everything about it was beautiful, emotional and heartbreaking at same time.
One word review *Masterpiece* ..

• Like 1