[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

May 15, 2019

Cable channels gain upper hand on major broadcasters in viewership battle

SEOUL, May 15 (Yonhap) -- Since they first got a competitive edge in a viewership battle against major terrestrial broadcasters, South Korean cable channels, like tvN and JTBC, have been on a winning streak with well-made, eye-catching shows.

According to data released on Tuesday by TNMS, a Seoul-based company that tracks viewership, "Superstar K4," a talent show series by Mnet, was the only cable TV program in 2012 that drew more viewers than shows aired in the same time slot by terrestrial stations -- KBS, MBC and SBS.

Since 2012, cable channels have seen well-rounded programs, like "Three Meals a Day" of tvN and "Hidden Singer" of JTBC gain popularity and receive rousing reviews, but failed to rout the big-names.

In 2017, however, the tables were turned, with a whopping 10 programs aired by cable channels topping the viewership list. The fantasy romance drama "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God" by tvN was the prelude to the channel's heyday. Its audience share marked a record 20 percent, outpacing all TV programs in the same time slot.

Its reality shows, like "Youn's Kitchen," and Mnet's sensational audition program, "Produce 101 (season 2)," came off well to help the channel cement its presence in the industry.

In addition, JTBC's "Strong Girl Bong-soon" and "The Lady in Dignity" also measured up to viewers' expectations and attracted people to tune in to the network launched in 2011.

A year later, cable channels consistently overwhelmed public networks in the ratings showdown and strengthened their grip thanks to cliffhanger shows with fresh formats and plots.

Industry leader tvN came up with a series of smash-hit dramas, like historical romance "Mr. Sunshine," "Familiar Wife," "Encounter," "100 Days My Prince," and "What's Wrong with Secretary Kim."

JTBC stood out with black comedy drama "Sky Castle" that became the highest-rated drama in Korean cable television history with a record 23 percent.

The cable-dominant trend continues in 2019, but there are some tweaks in the landscape.

Long-time powerhouse tvN seems to be losing its grip and faces aggressive the pursuit of its rival, JTBC.

JTBC placed three programs, including the time travel drama "Radiant," on the top viewership list through May, along with TV Chosun's mega-hit reality show "Miss Trot." But tvN has no No. 1 programs yet.

Insiders said that tvN is expected to return to the top position in the summer.

"Recent data shows JTBC has been stronger in the first half, while tvN has been at full throttle in the latter half of year," an TNMS official said.

In fact, tvN is ready to air big-budget "Arthdal Chronicles," starring Song Joong-ki and Jang Dong-gun, next month, with popular reality shows "Kang's Kitchen" and "New Journey to the West" on the lineup for the summer.

brk@yna.co.kr

• Like 1

Source: Soompi (for full article)

Kim-Tae-Ri2.jpg

Kim Tae Ri has spoken about her struggles while working. When asked to elaborate on this, she said, “I think the biggest pain comes from wanting to do a good job. I want to do a good job but it doesn’t turn out the way I want it to. I largely rely on my experience, but my experience is too small in comparison to the role I’m playing. I can’t help but feel limited.”

On preparing for her character, she explained, “I’m still very young and lacking, so it’s embarrassing to talk about acting. But if I were to talk about it anyway, I think that actors can be divided into two categories. Actors who construct themselves and actors who erase their ‘me’ and construct the character. I’m the former.”

She continued, “When I was acting in a play, a senior actor said, ‘You’re someone who has everything. There’s nothing that you don’t have. If you look for it one at time in your treasure chest, it’ll all be there.’ I’ve always found people in my experience and myself, but I hit a limit when acting as Yeon Hee in ‘1987’ and Go Ae Shin in ‘Mr. Sunshine.’ No matter how much I dug around the treasure chest, opened all the drawers, and looked in the corners, there were things that I didn’t have.”

• Like 1

The SBS variety show Master in the House episode 70 (19/5) had featured martial arts director Jung Doo Hong. Through a phone-cameo, actor Lee Byung Hun appeared as the 'hint fairy' to introduce the Master.

Spoiler

Hello?
Oh, hello? Hello?
(Wait a minute)
Hello. This is All the Butlers.
Yes. Hi.
Hello. Nice to meet you. This is Yang Se Hyeong.
Nice to meet you.
I heard you called us..
as a hint giver for our master today.
Yes.
Wait a minute. Wait..
You sound.. It's ..
It sounds familiar.
(The sun shines..)
(on the low voice) -- Mr.Sunshine OST in the background. mrs.jpg
(Is this warm man..)
You sound very familiar.
Are you the one who we think it is?
No. no2.gif
(Laughing)
Who do you.. Who do you think we were thinking?
(Whoever you're thinking, it's not me)
The person we're thinking..
is an actor with the last name Lee.
No.
That's who we were thinking.
No. 
No?
Recently, in "Mr.Sunshine", did you play.. Eugene Choi?
No.. :sweatingbullets:
I knew it. He sounds nervous.
We're 100 percent correct.
Is this Lee Byung Hun?
Yes. Hello. Nice to meet you.
(Hollywood's man, the king actor, Hint Giver Lee Byung Hun)
(As much as they're happy, as much as they want to see him)

(watch here or here)

Kim Tae Ri's stunt double in Mr.Sunshine was also featured in the program.

mith_ktr_stunt1.jpg

mith_ktr_stunt2.jpg

= Blackbird, AeShin's alter ego

• Like 1

June 6, 2019 - Actor Byun Yo Han (Kim Hee Sung) sent a coffee truck to the filming site of Mount Baekdu. Photos posted by actor Yang Ji Soo (also cast of Mount Baekdu, starring Lee Byung Hun et al.). Thanks to @mistymorning for the translation & info.

Caption: Thank you for the coffee Byun Yohan nim, to support Lee Byunghun sunbaenim. I took two cups of it. cuppa.gif

• Like 1

mrs.jpg Mr.Sunshine excerpt: These are lower than tvN's previous big-budget historical series, "Mr. Sunshine," aired last year and starring Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-ri, which got viewership figures of 8.9 percent and 9.7 percent for the first and second episodes, respectively.

From full article: After weak start, 'Arthdal Chronicles' has mixed viewership prospects

Source: @katseab // @writingislife // @catherinssi  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

i am curious what happened in this series.. i dropped it at ep 6 or 7 because was really bored..

but did all three men die? Pretty sure the other two barring "to-be husband" must have died.. but did to be hubby also die?

Yes, 4 out of the 5 main cast perished except Ae Shin. We had hoped that Eugene and Ae Shin will make it through the finale as they were fictional characters in a history-based drama but writer KES had chosen otherwise, sticking to her "Guns, Glory and Sad Ending" slogan till the very end. dontcare.gif

She wrote such tragic ending to those who died, to show severity of the era and making it unforgettable.. perhaps. However, the scene showing Eugene's Choi final moments were not quite plausible for many as it had appeared rushed and hasty. Considering the character's background in the Marines and that he had survived a more serious situation, his sacrifice seemed unnecessary. The drama was building up to feature at least one "positive ending" amidst the bleak scenario but alas, it was not meant to be. 

Well, the drama is definitely more on the serious side considering the time of the Japanese occupation. But it has a great story to tell without the usual poor girl damsel in distress plot-wise. The drama definitely made an impact from start till the end but personally, it would still be as memorable if not more even with a happy ending. During the finale, everyone was shocked and especially heartbroken.. now it's even more sad to remember considering that a happy ending was not that impossible. Nonetheless, a wonderful fan has come up with an alternate ending for Mr.Sunshine.

Anyway.. sorry for the long reply instead.. 

Sharing a Mr.Sunshine thread by a fan on twitter..

• Like 1

Didn't realize that LJE was in the award-winning movie, Parasite till the coverage in Cannes. Really happy that our Haman-daek is doing so well. Have watched this versatile actress a lot in various Kdramas but she's most charming in Mr.Sunshine, of course. Seeing her gracing the cover of CINE21, simply awesome.

Well done and well deserved Ms. Lee! mrs.jpg

June 22, 2019

Lee Jung-eun is always up for a challenge
‘Parasite’ star has made a career out of scene-stealing roles in film and television

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

21200903.jpg
Lee Jung-eun, who plays a housekeeper in Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite,” has appeared in countless films, TV dramas and plays throughout her 28-year acting career. Clockwise from top are her appearances in the movies “Parasite” (2019), “Another Child” (2019), “The Attorney” (2013) and the JTBC drama “The Light in Your Eyes” (2019). Lee will play a leading role in OCN’s upcoming thriller series “Hell is Other People.” [CJ ENTERTAINMENT, JTBC, NEW, SHOWBOX]

There are many moments in “Parasite” that make the movie a thriller, but the scene where housekeeper Moon-gwang eerily peers into the video intercom screen on a rainy day is probably what keeps moviegoers up at night. 

Yet Lee Jung-eun, the veteran actress who plays the scene-stealer in this year’s Palme d’Or winner, was worried that she wouldn’t be able to pull off the role when she first received the offer to star in Bong Joon-ho’s newest project. 

“I have a cute image, so I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to be scary,” she told the JoongAng Ilbo, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, during an interview earlier this month. 

Throughout her 28-year acting career, Lee has starred in countless films, dramas and plays, taking on roles that transcend genre, time periods and species. She has played a Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) maidservant in the historical romance drama series “Mister Sunshine” (2018) and voiced the role of a genetically modified pig in the 2017 science fiction movie “Okja,” which was her second film with Bong after “Mother” (2009). 

Although she usually plays minor roles, Lee has received critical acclaim for her appearances, most recently snatching the Best Supporting Actress prize at the 55th Baeksang Arts Awards for her role in drama “The Light in Your Eyes” (2019). Having proved her capacity to scare in “Parasite,” Lee’s now getting ready to star in a leading role in OCN’s upcoming thriller series “Hell is Other People,” where she will play a suspicious landlord.

The following are edited excerpts from the interview, where Lee discussed “Parasite” and her colorful acting career. 

Q. This is your third time working with Bong. How were your previous encounters with him? 

A. I met Bong after my third audition for “Mother.” Even though my role was really small, Bong paid a lot of attention and that encouraged me to work even harder. After some time had passed, Bong appeared one day with Won Bin and Song Sae-byeok to watch my performance in the musical “Laundry.” After the show ended, he stood up and started clapping, leading the rest of the audience to give a standing ovation. I think he got the idea to cast me as “Okja” from hearing my voice then. I prepared a lot for “Okja” and tried to imitate the sounds of similar animals. Bong told me that I tried very hard, and suggested that we do more strange things in the future. 

How did you get the offer to star in “Parasite”?

On the day of the film preview for “Okja,” Bong told me to empty my schedule for the next year and handed me a piece of paper with the storyboard for “Parasite.” It showed Moon-gwang leaning against the wall like she was pushing something. When Bong told me it was going to be fun and weird, I got the urge to challenge myself. I read the full script last May before filming and I really liked it. 

Was the intercom scene the first thing you shot for the movie? 

It was the second. Before that, I filmed the scene where I get fired. People tell me they were scared by the intercom scene, but I actually expected it to be funny. Friends who have seen the movie tell me it reminds them of when I‘m drunk. 

What did you do to prepare for the role of Moon-gwang?

I’ve been to a similar home of a wealthy family, and the housekeepers there are really graceful, almost to the point that it’s difficult to distinguish them from the actual homeowner. They all drive nice cars and read books in their free time. I guess this behavior may be requested as part of their job, and that’s what Bong ordered me to do as well. 

In “Parasite” I throw disapproving glances at young Ki-woo when he comes to the Parks’ home for the tutoring job interview, even though my character is in the position of living off the family. I still get excited when I see that scene. 

You’ve worked before with Park Myung-hoon, who plays your character’s husband in “Parasite.” How was acting with him again? 

We first met at the premiere for the play “Liar” in 2005. We were surprised by the casting choice for this movie. We discussed a lot about what a couple without children may be like. 

How did you first get into acting?

My mom told me that I don’t really look like an actor, but I enjoyed dancing and singing in front of people. Park Kwang-jung asked me to help him with a theater production in Daehangno[, central Seoul, in the 1990s]. I made a deal with him that if I helped him out with three productions, he would cast me as an actor. 

What is your philosophy when it comes to acting? 

I generally try to be cheerful during filming. Even when I have a concern, I only express it after I fulfill my responsibilities. I also try to act like the cameras are rolling during rehearsals. I think I’ve learned how to empty myself a bit. I enjoy taking on whatever roles that come my way and contributing to good stories. People say that I was a good actor in “Parasite,” but my role had already been set up that way. It’s the directors and writers that make the projects what they are. Actors only add a bit of creativity. I want to be like Chow Yun-fat. I like how he just lives a regular life, taking the subway and mixing with the public. I would be happy to just have fans occasionally recognize me on the street and ask for a picture. 

BY NA WON-JEONG [kim.eunjin1@joongang.co.kr]

Photo: CINE21

Spoiler

• Like 2