[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

13 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

I haven't read the book yet, I just read from the comments (from the book) people post in this thread, like manniang character, she's not a gold digger, she just want GTY's love for herself and nothing to do with status and wealth

I think it's unfair to argue which one is better. There are limitations to what they can do to transform a written story to a movie, and they did a pretty good job actually, keeping most of important details. Of course they have to change a bit to suit the context. In the book ML was actually a 30ish year old soul from the modern world in a 10ish year old body, so she is much more mature and rational and everything she said and did is calculated carefully. ML in the drama is a normal girl born and raised in that era, so despite being slightly more grown up and smarter than the others in her family, she is still a bit careless and childlike. For example in her relationship with QH. In the book she understand the situation thoroughly so she flat out rejected him, never giving him a single hope. She was fond of him but she never loved him and so she was never heartbroken. ML in the drama is exactly what a 15 yr old girl should be like being in love but trying to restrict herself. There are other changes in personalities of other characters as well but I think it's necessary and reasonable to develop the story.

The depiction of Manniang is slightly different in the drama, but most of her actions still stay true to the story, except only her motive, which I really wouldn't mind. I can't say which one is better, I guess it's upon each person's opinion, I can just say that both of them are annoying as hell.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tomo74 said:

I haven't read the book yet, I just read from the comments (from the book) people post in this thread, like manniang character, she's not a gold digger, she just want GTY's love for herself and nothing to do with status and wealth

Spoiler

I think whoever gave u this impression did not tell u the full story. In the book, before ML timetraveled to this era, there was a famous prostitute who attracted one guy from a noble family. That guy ended up breaking all ties with his family and married her as his only wife. As time passed by, this story became a legend with a lot of girls dreaming of having a devoted husband like this. Manniang was one of them, maybe even a crazier fan. She wanted to be the second legend to be admired by others. GTY just conveniently fitted her dreamed target. It was never about love, it was always just about herself. 

ps: The story was told to Minglan during gossip time with other girls. After ML checked some details, she realized this legendary lady was highly likely another time traveler before her time. lol  Maybe that’s why they have to change the character setting for Manniang as well.

1 hour ago, dito said:

First Old emperor dies and country goes into mourning....along with war for the throne situation.

In that chaos Molan seduces the six son of Liang gets married to him and Lin niang is not allowed to attend...and exiled off to a Sheng family property in the boonies. 

The Roulan falls for the poor scholar and ML catches them. 

He Hongwen and ML are all ready to get engaged when his clingy cousin arrives and ruins everything.

That drama dragged until HHW get sick, his cousin tried to commit suicide....and then finally relented to take her as his concubine. ML is still unsure but decides to wait and watch.

While all this is happening in the capital...GTY will be enjoying a new found popularity as an eligible bachelor due to his position as the General in the new emperor's army...

Don't forget the political situation is about to change....as we see soldiers trying to curb the revolt...in todays episode.

So add those scenes to the storyline as well. I'd say around 40-42

Thanks! Yeah, I guess it will be a while. 

Thank you guys for all the explanation, I think I should stop reading spoilers and comments from the book, just stick to the drama so I wont have the idea of comparing between the story from drama and from the (partially) book and I have to learn to kill my curiosity :sweat:

34 minutes ago, nnnju said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think whoever gave u this impression did not tell u the full story. In the book, before ML timetraveled to this era, there was a famous prostitute who attracted one guy from a noble family. That guy ended up breaking all ties with his family and married her as his only wife. As time passed by, this story became a legend with a lot of girls dreaming of having a devoted husband like this. Manniang was one of them, maybe even a crazier fan. She wanted to be the second legend to be admired by others. GTY just conveniently fitted her dreamed target. It was never about love, it was always just about herself. 

ps: The story was told to Minglan during gossip time with other girls. After ML checked some details, she realized this legendary lady was highly likely another time traveler before her time. lol  Maybe that’s why they have to change the character setting for Manniang as well.

Well I was the one who posted about Manniang, you can read my post in the last page. I didn't include the whole story cuz it was too long. She is not a gold digger (this part I remembered correctly) and she did everything in the name of love (like she always said) and she was obsessed about an ideal love (the legend) and I think she actually believed that she loved him and was the best match for him (or that's just my impression, but it's still about herself). Yeah I forget about the wanting to be admired thing. Maybe your analyse of her is more correct, or maybe both are right about her, not sure cuz she didn't appear that much.

23 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

@nnnju I can’t wait I hope that since the Gu family didn’t take out his name in the genealogy they are not up to something because he is rich and they might try to smooch off his merits! Ugh! 

Spoiler

In the book all stories about the rise of GTY were told by others talking. I really appreciate that drama put a lot of screen time on it to show us directly how hard his way back to the top is, plus they even make ML as his pusher. Love, love it!

The new eps are showing GTY is going back to the capital, which makes me wonder if there are any more changes on GTY’s storyline. He never returned to the capital before the new emperor got the throne in the book. I don’t mind changes as long as they make sense. 

14 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Well I was the one who posted about Manniang, you can read my post in the last page. I didn't include the whole story cuz it was too long. She is not a gold digger (this part I remembered correctly) and she did everything in the name of love (like she always said) and she was obsessed about an ideal love (the legend) and I think she actually believed that she loved him and was the best match for him (or that's just my impression, but it's still about herself). Yeah I forget about the wanting to be admired thing. Maybe your analyse of her is more correct, or maybe both are right about her, not sure cuz she didn't appear that much.

Yes, and the way described in the novel makes Manniang even more creepy and crazy... In the name of love.... I can’t remember it is ML or GTY who confronted her and revealed her real motive. I only remembered her craziness in that moment. Honestly speaking I’m totally fine with the gold digger version.

15 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

Thank you guys for all the explanation, I think I should stop reading spoilers and comments from the book, just stick to the drama so I wont have the idea of comparing between the story from drama and from the (partially) book and I have to learn to kill my curiosity :sweat:

I'm always disappointed after watching dramas adapted from my fav Chinese novels. 

I have to say though..for me Nirvana in fire is the best book adaptation among all the Chinese dramas I've seen. I read the book afterwards on Google translate.

This drama is different. I didn't like the book that much but I'm addicted to this drama. Book was slow and the daily slice of life narrative was boring to me. The narrative of the show is fast and interesting. Can't help the changes, even though I didn't like some of them.

Would just like to say that I love ML's grandma, since GTY and QH have both gotten so much love from everyone here. :D

I thoroughly enjoy her interactions with ML or even with the Nanny/ maids. 

So much wisdom.

The conversations between granny and ML are always so cordial, and calm, yet her words are so perceptive, so sensible. 

And I love how ML can always be truthful to granny with her thoughts, or even when she isn't, granny always see through her. 

The things they say to each other, like how ML should always think and act to protect herself, because at the end of it, there will always be times where she would have no one to protect her, and she should chart her own course in her life (foreshadowing much?)

The way they are so fiercely protective of each other is also so admirable. 

Like how granny would get the maids to guard ML's place so there wouldn't be spies snooping around, so ML can cry her heart out after the heartbreak. 

Or even when she got angry because her poor ML was hurt, when she told the nanny to kick the Qi family out with a stick if they ever come mentioning Bros and sis again.

Or how ML would save granny first the moment she saw the bandits on ship, disregarding her own. And granny, even in her confused state, still calls for her! 

I actually like how the drama is unfolding and giving us a good insight into each character.  The way the relationship development between ML and GTY is like what the director said about their intertwined fates and matches the ending song.  The removal of the time traveling part in my opinion enhanced the story line since we can feel the emotions coming from ML. Like @linhlinh111 said, she’s feeling everything that a15 year old would when dealing with impossible first love. I agree that it’s nice to visualize what GTY went through instead of hearing stories told by others. Relationship dynamics like the one between ML and her grandma are very relatable and reminds me of my own grandma. My favorite so far is ML with grandma, Rulan, and CB; GTY bromance with CB; and the bantering between ML/GTY.

Spoiler

I thought it was sweet how GTY secretly protected ML and Grandma’s crew during the travel home even if him taking on the whole gang by himself was a little over the top. His loyal servant having his daughter reciting as a distraction for herself was cute. I can see how he starts to view ML differently throughout their interactions from the beginning and he’s not afraid to admit to ML that she was right about Maniang. Can’t wait for more :lol:

And if I may add, there seems to be a deeper meaning on a statement ML made to the granny. 

"Sometimes what appears demure could be really treacherous, while things that appear treacherous could really be peaceful"..

Somehow, it reminds me of QH and GTY. 

QH's mom appears noble, calm and peaceful but I think we are all aware of how scarily controlling and manipulative she really is. 

On the other hand, in everyone's eyes, GTY is the unfilial, rebellious, good for nothing son of Marquis Gu, but in reality, he's probably just the opposite. 

And probably even ML herself. She appears useless and demure and incapable of handling things when she is, in fact, manipulating others to do what she wants to do (using the sword of another to kill, keeping her hands clean). We as viewers understand her perspectives and she is a good person, but in a way, she's no less manipulative. 

10 minutes ago, hello210 said:

My favorite so far is ML with grandma, Rulan, and CB; GTY bromance with CB; and the bantering between ML/GTY.

Hide contents

I thought it was sweet how GTY secretly protected ML and Grandma’s crew during the travel home. I can see how he starts to view ML differently throughout their interactions from the beginning and he’s not afraid to admit to ML that she was right about Maniang. Can’t wait for more :lol:

Aw i like those that you mentioned too but for me i'll also add GTY with his Nanny too :)

i find it sweet too GTY protecting them. I also find him and his daughter so cute :D

9 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

And if I may add, there seems to be a deeper meaning on a statement ML made to the granny. 

"Sometimes what appears demure could be really treacherous, while things that appear treacherous could really be peaceful"..

QH's mom appears noble, calm and peaceful but I think we are all aware of how scarily controlling and manipulative she really is. 

On the other hand, in everyone's eyes, GTY is the unfilial, rebellious, good for nothing son of Marquis Gu, but in reality, he's probably just the opposite. 

And probably even ML herself. She appears useless and demure and incapable of handling things when she is, in fact, manipulating others to do what she wants to do (using the sword of another to kill, keeping her hands clean). We as viewers understand her perspectives and she is a good person, but in a way, she's no less manipulative. 

I agree. Her statement is very meaningful because things are not always what they appear. We can tell by examples you gave. Even ML admitted that even though her motives are different what she did in getting rid of the spies was no less manipulative than Concubine Lin which was why she felt bad about using CB who’s always good to her. Always watch out for the quiet ones :D

45 minutes ago, nnnju said:

Yes, and the way described in the novel makes Manniang even more creepy and crazy... In the name of love.... I can’t remember it is ML or GTY who confronted her and revealed her real motive. I only remembered her craziness in that moment. Honestly speaking I’m totally fine with the gold digger version.

Spoiler

Worse is that, even after being confronted by ML she still stick with her story till her son died.

If this story happened today, GTY could just get a restriction order, rip her off her custody right and institutionalize her into an asylum, cuz she was clearly fk crazy.

Man if only they had a similar system back then.

13 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Worse is that, even after being confronted by ML she still stick with her story till her son died.

If this story happened today, GTY could just get a restriction order, rip her off her custody right and institutionalize her into an asylum, cuz she was clearly fk crazy.

Man if only they had a similar system back then.

It’s just too bad Maniang  secretly left in the middle of the night or she wouldn’t have been able to take their son since women didn’t have custody rights like they do today. Heck even kids born by concubines didn’t really belong to them. She’s been lucky to evade GTY. I just feel bad for the son cause I have a feeling that he’s going to bear a similar fate like GTY’s older brother of being brainwashed. I see GTY’s older brother being sickly with no heirs as his fated calamity/karma brought on by the stepmom raising him to hate his brother with lies.

36 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

you had to be manipulative during those days or you your self would get manipulated. 

2 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

you had to be manipulative during those days or you your self would get manipulated. 

Wouldn't dispute you on that.  And probably still applicable to the world today. 

They could be manipulated, but to those who aren't trying to take advantage, they are the "peaceful" ones which you don't need to guard against. 

Like Yanran. As a friend to ML, she's kind, gentle (and weak), and she's not calculative. 

May not be good for Yanran as she'll probably be trampled all over, but she sure is "peaceful" to ML. If that makes sense. 

Archived