Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Like someone said Daylight is really picky on their editing. If you look at their productions you will see they put a lot of effort into their cinematography so it makes sense that they dont want others messing with their work. For this reason, Daylight is known to not negotiate with Hunan since Hunan was pretty bad rep when it comes to editing the drama as it airs. That is why I was so surprised that Daylight decided to sell their drama to Hunan. This means that Hunan probably paid A LOT and that they agree to some contractual stuff such as not editing their dramas. 

Congrats to FSF and ZLY!!! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

Like someone said Daylight is really picky on their editing. If you look at their productions you will see they put a lot of effort into their cinematography so it makes sense that they dont want others messing with their work. For this reason, Daylight is known to not negotiate with Hunan since Hunan was pretty bad rep when it comes to editing the drama as it airs. That is why I was so surprised that Daylight decided to sell their drama to Hunan. This means that Hunan probably paid A LOT and that they agree to some contractual stuff such as not editing their dramas. 

Congrats to FSF and ZLY!!! 

Even if the production company is really picky, once its sold to a tv station its up to the tv station to decide on their own edits.  A different version with less cuts may become available online but the production company has little say on how the tv station will edit their aired version.  Its also not Daylight deciding to sell to Hunan, its Hunan deciding to buy from Daylight.  With the quota and stiff competition nowadays its difficult to land a spot on tv. 

I prefer dramas that air on Hunan because their cuts tend to have a lot less filler scenes. 

1 hour ago, leah8 said:

Even if the production company is really picky, once its sold to a tv station its up to the tv station to decide on their own edits.  A different version with less cuts may become available online but the production company has little say on how the tv station will edit their aired version.  Its also not Daylight deciding to sell to Hunan, its Hunan deciding to buy from Daylight.  With the quota and stiff competition nowadays its difficult to land a spot on tv. 

I prefer dramas that air on Hunan because their cuts tend to have a lot less filler scenes. 

really? My experience has been the opposite. But then again most of my experience is in their late time slot, maybe their prime time time slot is better. But Hunan does have a bad reputation regarding their editing of dramas. There is a long list of dramas they have butchered. 

I still think there are ways they can control the editing. Like the contract they sign. Production companies do retain some rights and even after they are sold if the TV station does not meet the agreed contract the production company can back out. I have seen it happen before.

It would be also pretty dumb of Hunan to richard simmons off Daylight bc they would just not sell to them again. And I do think Daylight picks who they sell too bc Hunan has tried to purchase some of their dramas in the past and they have refused. Now I think Hunan kind of went to bank for Minglan bc of Zhao Liying so it is possible they just out-bid everyone else and Daylight had no choice but sell to them after all they are running a business. 

• Like 1

@mrsyooknit sure they have the right to back out.  But usually once you sell the rights to a tv station it will be up to them how it’s edited.  Not happy?  then back out.  They control how many episodes it will be edited down to. If the production company really do have control over how it’s edited then it would defeat what you just said that a lot of the dramas that air on Hunan are butchered.  Why would any production company want their dramas “butchered” by Hunan if they had a signicant say in the editing process?  Why blame Hunan if the production company has can control the editing as you say?  You can’t blame Hunan for butchering dramas in the past then at the same time claim that production co can control the editing process.  A drama is presented to a tv station with x amount of epsodes and the tv station would ok it or send them back to editing.   The tv station can still edit the final copy.  They’ve pulled stuff on air before due to low ratings so logic would tell me Hunan holds the cards on the final editing process 

Hunan is a big tv station and with the quota for period dramas, they have a line up of period dramas to pick from.  How many dramas have they bought and dropped in the past because it didn’t meet their specs?  

I have faith this drama will turn out fine airing on Hunan.  

8 minutes ago, leah8 said:

@mrsyooknit sure they have the right to back out.  But usually once you sell the rights to a tv station it will be up to them how it’s edited.  Not happy?  then back out.  They control how many episodes it will be edited down to. If the production company really do have control over how it’s edited then it would defeat what you just said that a lot of the dramas that air on Hunan are butchered.  Why would any production company want their dramas “butchered” by Hunan if they had a signicant say in the editing process?  Why blame Hunan if the production company has can control the editing as you say?  You can’t blame Hunan for butchering dramas in the past then at the same time claim that production co can control the editing process.  A drama is presented to a tv station with x amount of epsodes and the tv station would ok it or send them back to editing.   The tv station can still edit the final copy.  They’ve pulled stuff on air before due to low ratings so logic would tell me Hunan holds the cards on the final editing process 

Hunan is a big tv station and with the quota for period dramas, they have a line up of period dramas to pick from.  How many dramas have they bought and dropped in the past because it didn’t meet their specs?  

I have faith this drama will turn out fine airing on Hunan.  

Bc the majority dont care. Look at Ciwen the production company behind Princess Agents and Journey of the Flower. They honestly dont care about quality fo their product just how much money they can make out of it. Very very few production companies are like Daylight that really care about a high quality product. It seems to me that Daylight is about quality over ratings or money. 

And the way that productions can control is simply to back out of airing the drama in that station. Which means that they will loose money and now need to look for another company willing to air it or go straight to online services. Not many production companies are willing to loose money just to preserve the quality of a drama. I believe Daylight is one of those few ones from everything I have seen from them, which is why they have such a good reputation. I haven't liked all their dramas tbh some just dont fit my taste for various reasons but it is nice to see a production company that puts so much effort into the quality of their dramas. 

Hunan have dropped a lot of dramas in the past and they are having a horrendous year. Many people think that their last hope this year is Minglan bc all their other dramas have done pretty bad. 

@mrsyooknit what other dramas have they produced? 

They had the hit earlier this year with Negotiators.   Negotiators still made it on top 10 ratings of the year.  All out of love aired prematurely to help the ratings and it was on the right track but moved to the 10pm slot to make way for the tribute drama only after a week of airing.The ratings have decreased a lot since moved to the 10pm slot but its still number one during it's time slot.  The Years You were Late dipped at one point to 0.16.  Hunan wouldnt hesistant to cut it if not for the simple fact its a tribute series so they have to let it finish airing.  Its picking up since Mother's Life ended but still losing to the competition that premiered last night. 

Minglan for sure wont air this year.  It will probably air in the second quarter 2019.  The drama thats been rumored to air soon is Cecelia and Tong Dawei's drama, If Love Like This.  

anyho I read at cdramabase that Entering a New Era with Lu Yi is airing on the 31st of October, its also a tribute drama.  Hunan will probably have another one right after that one that will take us into 2019. 

@leah8

The Negotiators and Old Boy managed to scrap by rating wise. They are not really considered hits. Hunan is having a bad year by their standards. They usually have much higher ratings that other networks. Just look at their ratings last year.

To be fair, it is a low ratings year overall but other networks are doing much better so it does feel like overall Hunan is having a bad year.

I dont keep track of Ciwen dramas bc they are a trash company. Only saw those two dramas and made me want to curse them forever. 

I doubt Hunan will not air a historical drama this year, they have like 40 historical prime time episodes left for the year and I dont see them just throwing that away. They have a few historical dramas in their arsenal that they could air if they decide against MingLan. 

Pros to airing Minglan right now FSF and ZLY wedding will get extra hype for it.

Cons another highly expected Daylight drama will air in December with Wang Kai. It feels to me like it would have the support of the government due to its story.

Another con is that OGT with ZLY will air in November and run into December so people could not be as excited to see ZLY again. 

For those two things, I could see Hunan pushing it back for a better time.

On 10/16/2018 at 3:53 AM, dashmount20 said:

Zhao liying confirm married with feng shiao feng... omo... big news for me.. happy for them

WHoa!!! Surprised but happy for them!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrsyooknit said:

@leah8

The Negotiators and Old Boy managed to scrap by rating wise. They are not really considered hits. Hunan is having a bad year by their standards. They usually have much higher ratings that other networks. Just look at their ratings last year.

To be fair, it is a low ratings year overall but other networks are doing much better so it does feel like overall Hunan is having a bad year.

I dont keep track of Ciwen dramas bc they are a trash company. Only saw those two dramas and made me want to curse them forever. 

I doubt Hunan will not air a historical drama this year, they have like 40 historical prime time episodes left for the year and I dont see them just throwing that away. They have a few historical dramas in their arsenal that they could air if they decide against MingLan. 

Pros to airing Minglan right now FSF and ZLY wedding will get extra hype for it.

Cons another highly expected Daylight drama will air in December with Wang Kai. It feels to me like it would have the support of the government due to its story.

Another con is that OGT with ZLY will air in November and run into December so people could not be as excited to see ZLY again. 

They are considered hits, I've read countless articles that they were hits, as the drama was airing and after it ended.  Just because the English sites say otherwise or doesn't cover it doesn't mean it wasn't a hit.  The Negotiator's average rating was 1.19.  A lot of the hits this year came from CCTV. 

I did read that this drama might air after Lu Yi's tribute drama, take that with a grain of salt.  They do have 40 episodes left so its a possibility.  They played their cards wrong airing RIse of The Phoenix because they were betting on that to cover their quota. 

I asked about what other dramas Daylight produced not Ciwen. 

40 minutes ago, leah8 said:

They are considered hits, I've read countless articles that they were hits, as the drama was airing and after it ended.  Just because the English sites say otherwise or doesn't cover it doesn't mean it wasn't a hit.  The Negotiator's average rating was 1.19.  A lot of the hits this year came from CCTV. 

I did read that this drama might air after Lu Yi's tribute drama, take that with a grain of salt.  They do have 40 episodes left so its a possibility.  They played their cards wrong airing RIse of The Phoenix because they were betting on that to cover their quota. 

I asked about what other dramas Daylight produced not Ciwen. 

Breaking 1% average is like the bare minimum. A hit is something that was talked about or had any sort of impact, which neither of them did tbh. The Negotiator did a bit better bc it had good online views but to me it feels like Mr. Right, which had better online views and TV ratings but no presence. For instance, this years biggest hit is Story of YanXi Palace and it was a webdrama but no one can argue that it wasn't huge since it is still generating buzz. At least, that is how I see it. Personally, I rather get a good drama over a successful and I haven't fully enjoyed anything this year. Maybe HSALF, but that one had huge problems. 

Oh Daylight I know. Their most recent ones Nirvana in Fire 1&2, Battle of Changsha, The Disguiser, Ode to Joy 1&2, When a Snail Falls in Love, Candle in the Tomb, Love me if you dare, Surgeons, etc. I know they have a lot of dramas that are a bit older than these that were very critically acclaimed but I don't know them by name. I personally only liked both Nirvanas, Battle of Changsha, and the first season of Ode to Joy. I tried to see all of the ones I mentioned. Some I dropped. Others I finished but I didnt like them much, I wouldnt say they were bad but just average to me. All Daylight dramas have really good cinematography just not all are my cup of tea. In fact, my main concern with Minglan is the director bc his previous works were not really up my alley. But I dont know how much of it was director versus script and at least they did have good cinematography. That is why I am putting so much hope on the screenwriters, who did a great job on Battle of Changsha. 

34 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

Breaking 1% average is like the bare minimum. A hit is something that was talked about or had any sort of impact, which neither of them did tbh. The Negotiator did a bit better bc it had good online views but to me it feels like Mr. Right, which had better online views and TV ratings but no presence. For instance, this years biggest hit is Story of YanXi Palace and it was a webdrama but no one can argue that it wasn't huge since it is still generating buzz. At least, that is how I see it. Personally, I rather get a good drama over a successful and I haven't fully enjoyed anything this year. Maybe HSALF, but that one had huge problems.

Perhaps your standards are held too high on what is considered a hit.  Breaking 1 is a huge deal, because every time a drama breaks 1, I see its made into a big deal, so I dont know where you're getting "bare minimum" from.  

From Hunan's and critics point of view, Negotiator's was a hit.  Its not so much the numbers but how it fared against the competition.  I saw real time data of the ratings as the drama aired, so I can verify the reports that the media, critics were not delusional or biased claiming it was a hit.  It was a huge hit online but with online its always hard to verify how true those numbers are when fans play a big role into playing and replaying episodes.  It was averaging 300 mil views a day, Negotiators was number 1 drama topic on weibo on most days. That's not an impact?  It was a hit but the feedback wasn't good, but those are two entirely different subjects.   

Mr Love had double broadcasting, the average ratings were 1.56 and 1.02. 

Thanks for the list of dramas by Daylight, I can see where you're coming from.  My expectations for Minglan are even higher now. 

For Daylight, you listed most of them, except for Two Family from Wenzhou, which I'm not sure if it even have subs. Daylight is a very new company from 2015, and they tend to produce very different dramas, they seem to dip their toes in very different markets. The other ones are under Shandong TV (Shanying) which is government owned. They produce quality but very down to earth and rural-y (or war-y) dramas. I only know All Quiet in Peking is on youtube, I think it was on netflix at some point but has been taken down. Romance of Our parents was on netflix too but probably not on youtube? I only know other series' Chinese names.

1% is considered hits, but not Hunan expected level hits since it's a low 1%. When Mother's life JUST broke 2, saying 1% isn't a hit is bit harsh. 52 city January ~ Oct 7th 19:30 ~ 24:00 ratings, Negotiator is sitting at 15, Oldboy is sitting at 22. That first one is Kite then Mr. Love and Kite again, and Mother's life is 1.3 sitting at 8 in here. (Does the image work?!)

Spoiler

640?wx_fmt=png

a hit is doing 1% lol its not the bare minimum. 

The Negotiator was a hit as well had good online views and decent tv rating's with 1.6% average 

4 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

@leah8

Scap by ? The Negotiator had 1.6% average and good online views it was a hit. 

12 minutes ago, Wotad said:

a hit is doing 1% lol its not the bare minimum. 

The Negotiator was a hit as well had good online views and decent tv rating's with 1.6% average 

Scap by ? The Negotiator had 1.6% average and good online views it was a hit.

Negotiators average was 1.19, not 1.6.  But at 1.19 its still considered a hit

32 minutes ago, Wotad said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negotiator_(TV_series)#Ratings

I think Nationwide is a bit more reliable. 

CSM 52 is the more significant one.  When you read about ratings, they will always mention the ratings from CSM 52 not nationwide. That list posted by Skippies is the average ratings for the top 30 dramas so far this year, again they used the averages from CSM 52.  Skippies used the primary source for ratings, so their numbers are reliable.  Negotiators is number 15 at 1.19.  Wiki's averages you linked me to are inaccurate reporting the csm 52 average at 1.13 so either they did the math wrong or they used inaccurate numbers posted by an english site.  I know an English site that post up ratings on a weekly basis and they would have used the same source as Skippies, and more than a dozen times Ive caught inaccuracies in their ratings and vlinkage reporting when they translate the info into english 

Hunan TV usually do better in nationwide because it has one of the widest coverage. Other regional TV station (so excluding CCTV) doesn't necessary have such broad coverage. I think rural areas are also weighted more relatively for nationwide and Beijing + Shanghai are weighted more in CSM52, I'm not super clear on it though since I haven't looked too closely. CSM 52 is referenced the most because that covers most of the urban population, and they represent the most purchasing power (ratings is used primarily for ads after all). Supposingly CSM 52 is also more likely to be manipulated, so ratings are kind of messy. 

[20 October 2018] #待播剧景气指数#

TOP10 DataWin
#1 The Story of Minglan

44544445_2100768919954941_83861122116841

Datawin Interpretation:

Recently, Zhao Liying and Feng Shaofeng Weibo "Guanxuan" married, detonated the whole network, and successively screened various entertainment headlines for many days, becoming the 2018 TOP-level entertainment event.
After a few days of fermentation, the spread of media and social forum discussions spread, and the two people starred in the drama "The Story of Minglan", the prosperity index soared to the top of the list, the public The expectations of the drama soared, and even netizens in the forum and the social platform called for the hope that Hunan Satellite TV would start broadcasting as soon as possible.
The "The Story of Minglan" is also in line with the article published by Detawen recently. Zhao Liying Feng Shaofeng is married, and the public is predicting the curiosity and expectation of the couple's performance in the gorgeous end of the Huadan era.

cr share/translate : zlyfb