[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Guardian 镇魂

sugarplum892

On 8/18/2018 at 7:48 AM, siobhanne said:

By the way, the sleeve garters worn by Shen Wei are actually supposed to be worn on the elbows. Then the shirt billows above them and partially covers them. They were worn in the 19th and early 20th century to shorten the sleeve length without having to turn the sleeves up. Then they say some years back David Beckham brought them back to fashion. He wears them correctly and with a purpose btw, you can see from the pictures that the sleeves are a bit too long.

Reveal hidden contents

7255633ffa998cb890f8cc633ca5c05e.jpg

However when you google for them you see a lot of pictures of men wearing them incorrectly just like Shen Wei. 

Reveal hidden contents

mens-arm-garters.jpg

What is this guy even doing? Why?

So yeah, when you look at Shen Wei's garters the purpose of them is not obvious, because it's worn wrong and without a purpose. But when you see images of how they're meant to be worn you can guess at their purpose. Also Shen Wei's have buckles on them, which can't be comfortable. So basically they're worn like fashion accessories. But actually all this kind of suits the character in the drama, who has only some years ago returned from a 10 000 year hibernation and doesn't know what's what.

Like the rolling of the corners of pages, audiences in other countries might be puzzled about the significance of wearing the sleeve garters in this drama, but it is so obvious to Chinese audiences. It perfectly implies the restrained personality of Shen Wei.  

Zhu Yilong came to know sleeve garters when he was acting in Eternal Wave. He suggested wearing them in Guardian and the director accepted it.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/2/2018 at 2:24 AM, dzareth said:

@BreezeC, has any of ZYL's past works been fully subbed? I'm finding a few things here and there but I couldn't find one that has complete subtitles. And if i want to watch without any subs, can you recommend a good one?

At least I've seen BY's work. Memory Lost was a really crazy/ illogical show (come on, offices at police headquarters will clear desks and no files?!), but BY/YR had a cute chemistry between them.

@dzareth You could get the list of Zhu Yilong’s past works here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhu_Yilong

Here is a video made from some of the dramas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCJoOfPefgk

It’s my favorite so far. Someone listed the dramas in the comment.  It may give you an idea which one you would like to try first.

3 hours ago, qjys said:

Like the rolling of the corners of pages, audiences in other countries might be puzzled about the significance of wearing the sleeve garters in this drama, but it is so obvious to Chinese audiences. It perfectly implies the restrained personality of Shen Wei.  

Zhu Yilong came to know sleeve garters when he was acting in Eternal Wave. He suggested wearing them in Guardian and the director accepted it.

Thanks for the info, when I called them purposeless I was talking purely about their function as a fashion accessory and not about their symbolism in the drama. They could restrain his sleeves and show his overall restraint at the same time at the elbows ; ) Anyway, they look hot as they are as well, so not really complaining.

On 8/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, siobhanne said:

Thanks for the info, when I called them purposeless I was talking purely about their function as a fashion accessory and not about their symbolism in the drama. They could restrain his sleeves and show his overall restraint at the same time at the elbows ; ) Anyway, they look hot as they are as well, so not really complaining.

Thank you for the clarification.  I don't know the purpose from that perspective. Perhaps he looks hotter that way than wearing at the elbows? 

@aurorail, thanks for the info.

I found this article and it seems that netizens were initially not that thrilled with Zhu Yilong as SW. I wonder whether his reputation is that weak that he didn't manage to up the viewer anticipation.

I am not familiar with Ren Yankai, but SW could have been a breakthrough role for him too. Although I am very, VERY HAPPY with Zhu Yilong. :wub:

To me, the chemistry between Zhao Yunlan/Bai Yu and Shen Wei/Zhu YiLong is rare to see. When those two are together, I have the feeling of 1+1>>2.  Guardian was hot in China primarily because of the acting of those two. Audiences commented that those two saved the drama.

Zhu Yilong is a quiet, taciturn person, while Bai Yu is outgoing, talkative and mischievous.( I like Zhao Yunlan in the drama much more than Zhao Yunlan in the book because of his mischievousness.) Bai Yu likes to tease Zhu Yilong. He improvised two scenes just to tease Zhu Yilong which turns out to be very impressive.  One is the scene in the car when Zhao Yunlan has the stomach pain. The other is Zhao Yunlan pretending his personality was changed. Zhu Yilong amazingly carried it on so well. I could never tell those two were improvised if it hadn’t been disclosed.

Bai Yu received a lot of harsh comments when it was announced he would play Han Chen, a beloved character by book fans, in Memory Lost.  A lot of people had to re-evaluate their reviews of him after watching Memory Lost. For Zhu Yilong, Guardian is the first time for him to play a beloved character by book fans and he was not popular. Book fans are generally picky. So it is not a surprise people were not thrilled when it was announced.

Now they become popular. Hope both of them will be able to get much better opportunities in the future. 

I google the actor Ren Yankai (任言恺) who was suppose to play Shen wei and recognise him from the Chinese drama Star April with Nicky Wu. He was second male lead and actually did a good job. IMO He is quite hot too!  I'm not sure if he has enough acting abilities/experience to pull off Shen wei though. No one can replace Zhu yilong on that one. 

Thanks for clarifying wearing the sleeve bands I did wonder what the purpose was for and now know the significance behind them. Shen wei looks HOT with them on too. But can somone tell me the significance of Shen wei curling the corners of the pages? Thanks. 

14 hours ago, qayar said:

I mean more like if you can find them somewhere and what taste/flavour they are

I should improve my English reading skills. I keep on mis-reading post. 

I googled it. There are different answers. Alps Lollipop Milk or nimm2 Lolly with different flavors. 

Regarding curling the corners of the pages:

From the movies/TV series I have seen so far, generally when a person receives an unexpected phone call from someone s/he has crush on,  the person's voice will suddenly become excited. His/her behavior will also suggest the excitement. For instance, if the person was sitting in the chair, s/he might jump to his/her feet. 

Shen Wei is a very restrained person. So his voice  would remain normal. He would still sit in the chair, seemingly calmly. He smiled, but nothing is special as he is polite and has good manner.  Shen Wei is also a neat, well-organized person. He cleaned Zhao Yunlan's apartment. He tucked his tie before he attended Zhao Yunlan's injury. Curling the corner of the pages in a book is totally out of character. But he was doing it when he received the first phone call from Zhao Yunlan. He must be over the moon. No matter how restrained he is, he could not keep the excitement under control. At the same time, it is conveyed in such a subtle way that it matches his personality so well. 

Zhu Yilong came up with the idea and added it for this scene. 

4 hours ago, qjys said:

Regarding curling the corners of the pages:

From the movies/TV series I have seen so far, generally when a person receives an unexpected phone call from someone s/he has crush on,  the person's voice will suddenly become excited. His/her behavior will also suggest the excitement. For instance, if the person was sitting in the chair, s/he might jump to his/her feet. 

Shen Wei is a very restrained person. So his voice  would remain normal. He would still sit in the chair, seemingly calmly. He smiled, but nothing is special as he is polite and has good manner.  Shen Wei is also a neat, well-organized person. He cleaned Zhao Yunlan's apartment. He tucked his tie before he attended Zhao Yunlan's injury. Curling the corner of the pages in a book is totally out of character. But he was doing it when he received the first phone call from Zhao Yunlan. He must be over the moon. No matter how restrained he is, he could not keep the excitement under control. At the same time, it is conveyed in such a subtle way that it matches his personality so well. 

Zhu Yilong came up with the idea and added it for this scene. 

The reaction there was so natural and subtle... that I don't believe it was deliberately designed.

I mean, Zhu Yilong is soooo into the role he played and he is Shen Wei at that moment.

Archived