[Drama 2017] Duel 듀얼

larus

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bedifferent @bebebisous33Do you have time for another drama? I really want to recommend this drama to you. It's SO good.

Finished todays episode, thoughts:

• I just love how we still really don't know anything, but the story develops regardless of it. 
  • The drama feels more like a movie, I like it a lot.
  • MR is kinda cute, I think I found my SLS already.
  • I really want to know what JH's plan is, I can't see through her. At one point you think she's one of the good guys, and then you think she's one of the baddies. 
  • YSJ plays his role(s) perfectly.
  • I can't wait to see the next episode tomorrow, I really want to know how it continues. :D 

Hello everybody~~~ First time posting here.  Thanks @Dhakra for the shout out.  Watched the first episode and was immediately hooked, guess cuz it speaks to my inner medical self geek so here I am, the third drama to follow live, 6 days a week of Kdrama... blessing or curse :lol:

Since I only watched E1, I'd like just to quickly comment on the medical aspect of stem cell therapy and cloning.  Not sure if this will be the basis of the drama but maybe helpful with ironing out the plot.  I saw lots of mentioning in the first episode and thought it's a very compelling storyline.  One which will deal with the ethics of cloning.

Here goes, simplified.

First off, there are many different type of stem cells in the body.  What's important is that the stem cells can only generate the same type of cells/tissues that they reside in.  Eg: stem cells in the cornea can only produce more corneal cells/tissues but they cannot make skin tissues and vice versa.  The hematopoietic stem cells in the bone marrow or in blood are what being isolated and use for bone marrow transplant for leukemic pts.  SY has leukemia and I am guessing is waiting for a match for bone marrow transplant from a donor.  This is where stem cell therapy comes in.  Leukemic pts would receive high dose of chemotherapy to wipe out as much of the cancer cells first.  Then they would get stem cell transplantation from a donor.  These stem cells will then go to pt's bone marrow and make new healthy blood cells.  In many cases, leukemic pts like SY may have to wait for a long time to find a match or donor.

Researchers are now able to clone stem cells in the labs to eliminate the need for live subjects like rats, rabbits, frogs.. etc to do studies.  A professor that I know actually conduct his research by cloning neural stem cells in the labs to make more brain tissues so he can splice the genes to study autism.  Bottom line is we can now clone stem cells easily.  We don't clone humans or animals because of multiple ethical reasons.  What we are doing next is trying to see if we can program these virgin stem cells to produce a different type of cells/tissues other than what they are originally programmed for (like reprogram neural cells to make cartillage tissues for athletes, etc..)

Anyway, in the drama, sounds like drug company San young was able somehow make stem cell injections to treat pts that need them like SY.  I am thinking they are cloning the stem cells in the labs and are conducting investigational drug trials.  SY is probably one of their first test/research pts.  Also, SH and SJ may came from a single stem cell, cloned then reprogrammed differently; thus explained why we have twin evil/good SH/SJ.  The stem cells injections SH uses probably help the body continues to make more of whatever cells the clone needs.  So the implication here is more than just money, power... I think we are also dealing with those ethical questions of man playing God and whether we are using this power for good or evil.

=======

Wheww, so anyway, just want to say that I like the first episode a lot.  Only saw YSJ for a few moments in the end so not sure of what to say except I was so scared for good clone (is it SJ? I gotta to learn the name haha) when DC beats him up.  Poor thing.  I read some comments earlier about JJY overacting.  I think his frantic search for SY is a sharp contrast from the self assured detective we saw earlier.  It could be deliberate to show how emotionally vulnerable DC is toward his daughter after his wife's death.  JJY made me feel all the fear, anger, hatred, despair of a father fighting to find his daughter.  So riveting.  

Kim Jung-eun. What can I say.  She did change a lot from Lovers in Paris and the time that she MCed KJE's Chocolate.  It is what it is.  I think I will just have to accept the acting as is.  She tries to act with her eyes but it is not the same.  

OK, back to seeing episode 2.  

[SPOILERS] DUEL EP03 
8:51 PM
Spoiler

0000743333_001_20170611065929123.jpg

Naver - Xports News: 'Duel' Yang Se Jong vs Yang Se Jong, different acting in his eyes

1. [+158, -8] The acting is good!! I felt sorry for the two main characters while watching it...ㅠ

2. [+172, -16] The two of them are good at acting but Kim Jung Eun's acting interfere with the immersion. How can her facial expressions be the same since the beginning. Her facial muscles are not moving or does she have a condition but whenever she appears I can't concentrate

3. [+99, -3] Whenever I look the acting is so remarkable. He is good at acting and Handsome~ So cool~

4. [+63, -4] It's fun but there is no comments ㅜㅜ

5. [+28, -0] Even though Yang Se Jong is a rookie he surprised me with his good acting

6. [+22, -0] Jung Jae Young, Yang Se Jong and the two detectives hard carried ㅇㅇ

7. [+22, -1] I really thought it was another person...He is doing well

8. [+18, -0] Jung Jae Young and Yang Se Jong are really good at acting, but there is no comments on this article

Spoiler

0002778988_001_20170610232139665.jpg

Naver - News1: 'Duel' Jung Jae Young, while finding his daughter he find a long-term trafficking organization...Yang Se Jong met duel

1. [+278, -13] Yang Se Jong is a rookie but he is as good as Jung Jae Young, Hul~

2. [+202, -10] Now it seems a little more fun, Yang Se Jong-nim is good at acting, He is cool!!!

3. [+154, -6] Wa I can't predict this drama ㅋㅋㅋ I'm totally curious

4. [+113, -6] It's really fun...the immersion is also the best

5. [+94, -10] Jung Jae Young and Yang Se Jong are good at acting so I was so immersed, But when Kim Jung Eun comes out she has the same expression, I can't concentrated because of how awkward she is. Besides, she is not good at acting, it's awkward and annoying

6. [+66, -3] Today was much more fun and exciting than last week. Yang Se Jong and Jung Jae Young's acting is the best

7. [+62, -2] Kim Jung Eun's acting has reduced , Jang Jae Young and Yang Se Jong are more exciting

8. [+47, -2] The first episode was a little boring but after episode 2? It's more fun now.

3 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Hello everybody~~~ First time posting here.  Thanks @Dhakra for the shout out.  Watched the first episode and was immediately hooked, guess cuz it speaks to my inner medical self geek so here I am, the third drama to follow live, 6 days a week of Kdrama... blessing or curse :lol:

Since I only watched E1, I'd like just to quickly comment on the medical aspect of stem cell therapy and cloning.  Not sure if this will be the basis of the drama but maybe helpful with ironing out the plot.  I saw lots of mentioning in the first episode and thought it's a very compelling storyline.  One which will deal with the ethics of cloning.

YES! Thank you. I was hoping that you would answer my call :D Glad that the first episode was already enough to hook you. Now I hope @bebebisous33will join us here aswell :wink: 

Your text about the stem cells was interesting, it helps a lot while watching the drama.

3 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Wheww, so anyway, just want to say that I like the first episode a lot.  Only saw YSJ for a few moments in the end so not sure of what to say except I was so scared for good clone (is it SJ? I gotta to learn the name haha) when DC beats him up.  Poor thing.  I read some comments earlier about JJY overacting.  I think his frantic search for SY is a sharp contrast from the self assured detective we saw earlier.  It could be deliberate to show how emotionally vulnerable DC is toward his daughter after his wife's death.  JJY made me feel all the fear, anger, hatred, despair of a father fighting to find his daughter.  So riveting.  

Kim Jung-eun. What can I say.  She did change a lot from Lovers in Paris and the time that she MCed KJE's Chocolate.  It is what it is.  I think I will just have to accept the acting as is.  She tries to act with her eyes but it is not the same.  

Yes, good clone is SJ. I think DC showcased perfectly how desperate he is. I could totally feel him, there is no limit when a father searches for his daughter. Especially since his daughter is such a wonderful kid, she's so nice and, god, she is probably the best daughter a father can have. It's just natural that he uses all the force he has to find her.  

@MiAmourOmo..? No Blackpink Jennie profile picture anymore? I was enjoying to look at it everytime I see you posting :D 

Yeah, I hope this drama will do it better :D Already officially recommended it to @triplemaswell. I hope she'll join us too soon. The drama could need a little attention.

3 minutes ago, triplem said:

Okay!! I will catch up. 

:D Looking forward to it. Really want to know your thoughts aswell.

9 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Dhakra Okay, since you are recommanding it. I'll catch up as well.

YES! :D Oh, I'm so excited to read your first thoughts. Looking forward to read your name on my notifications when you tag me. :D 

giphy.gif

@triplem @bedifferent @bebebisous33I'm so happy that all of you chingus answered my call. I promise you, you won't be disappointed. I had such an amazing time with this drama so far.

2 hours ago, Dhakra said:

@MiAmourOmo..? No Blackpink Jennie profile picture anymore? I was enjoying to look at it everytime I see you posting :D 

Yeah, I hope this drama will do it better :D Already officially recommended it to @triplemaswell. I hope she'll join us too soon. The drama could need a little attention.

LMAO BP's Jennie always be my fav, ill change it later when BP start to make their comeback soon LOL :sweat_smile:

Plus its nice to see @triplem here as well lol XD

-----

Anyway heres message from YSJ

Spoiler

Okie, finished Episode 2.  Wanted to comment before moving on since I'm 100% sure I will get names, places, events all mixed up watching 3 dramas at once... DC,SJ,YJ,SH, SY...so correct me if a letter is out of place. :lol:

Episode 2 gets the same timeline treatment as the first episode, we move back and forth to get the story on our characters. Our clones get an abundance of screen time and we get to understand that everyone we met is important somehow, especially the guy with golf bag at airport.  He's in the middle of the conspiracy, some sort of a co-conspirator with bad clone SH. I don't think he's the mastermind.  Seems like they have a target, the man in the picture (story soon to be continued in episode 3?)  Anyone here a fan of Pinky the Brain, the story of two mice cloned by scientists in an experiment that went wrong?  This drama's starting to remind me of those genetically engineered mice, with SH a drugged-out Brainy, not quite as scheming or arrogant yet.  SJ is the good version similar to Pinky.  In that cartoon, Brain the engineered mouse wanted to take over the world, not for the sake of being a dictator/president, but more on the thinking that he will do a better job at running it than others cuz he's genetically superior. Their world was an underground lab, like where SH seems to live in this drama.  

Back to Duel.  I feel like the researchers, whoever they are, may have made several clones from the same stem cell, possibly kept many more hidden in a hibernation state. Who knows SH and SJ may have a family of S- ? We also don' t know if the stem cells were from another source or from SH.  Was SH the first to be set free and programmed in a certain way for a specific purpose?  SJ was "born" later, released from his hibernation 2-3 days ago and sent to Seoul to meet with DC.  His hand was slashed to imitate the superficial scratch wound of SH.  It feels like an unplanned solution to mislead DC since he was able to see the kidnapper and to close the case.  SH may have inadvertently screw up the plan by being at the bus station cuz he was spotted by DC. Anyway, SY was kidnapped in the ambulance on the way to get her treatment.  Who kidnapped her?  Can't be big pharma since they are waiting to enroll her in the research?  Or is this planned to enable them to do experiments off the grid? I can't tell yet who the good guys are and who to trust :lol:  Now, SY is in the hands of SH.  Why is she such a valuable subject, I am sure there are other patients as well?  Was she chosen for a specific reason?

Really really like YSJ, especially as SH in all those terrifying confusing moments.  The syringe/needles recovered from the ambulance set him off with all kinds of terrible memories of getting treatments unwillingly. I don't know how to feel about Prosecutor Choi yet.  She's cold, calculated, has a wavering moral code, ambitious in her job.  She didn't stop at using bribes to recruit DC's team which makes her not a squeaky clean person.  Obviously not one to take accountability of her actions since she blamed DC's wife death on him and not on the circumstances that lead to a hostage situation.  I don't like her already.  Don't know if there is more history between them that worth mentioning.  She was smart to take on the tests to disprove the claim of a twin committing the crime, especially the fingerprints.  Make me wonder if she already knows that the man DC is looking for is an exact copy.

Continue to like JJY as DC. As he was willing to do whatever it takes, including taking the bribe money to save SY, we see him planned the escape for the prisoners during their transport ( a little suspicious why the transfer happened so soon though).   DC had just made himself an outlaw and fugitive by cutting tie with the police force that was supposed to help him find his daughter.  What I am worrying about more is that he has just made an enemy with prosecutor Choi.  That last jump from the bridge was preceded by DC asking SJ to trust him, something the clone is nowhere at a position to.

So far so good. :D

Archived