[Drama 2017] Chicago Typewriter 시카고 타자기

larus

I finished watching the series.

Well, not really.

I mostly skipped episode 15.  I couldn't deal with the torture. So I had the episode on in the background and would glance at it every now and then when it was safe.

Episode 16 gave my tear ducts a good work out. Such beautiful writing. Assumed early on that Shin Yool was who Seol/Soo-hyun had shot.  That would have explained her trauma around shooting and his not remembering how he died.

As painful as it was to watch I'm glad the script didn't cop-out and not have Soo-hyun punish the folks who betrayed the movement, regardless of how justified their actions were. Both bullets broke my heart.  

In truth, there is no reason to assume that Soo-hyun did not climb back down that mountain and went on with her life, but the way she fell asleep against the tree and no indication of her life after, makes me wonder if she died there.

There is something sublime about the solution for Jin Oh fate is to have him kept safe in a book. It works well with the series theme about the importance to stories and knowing your history.  My one wish is that Se-joo had put him in a story with a happier ending. Although it might have messed with the integrity of the story I really wish that I could be sure that Shin Yool/Jin Oh would reincarnate. 

It was satisfying when SeJu told Jin Oh how much love and faith Hwi-young had for Shin Yool.  It was even more satisfying when SeJu differentiate that from the love he had for Jin Oh.  It wasn't a remembered affection.  SeJu met and loved Jin Oh, not because of what he had done in the past, or because his past self loved him, but who SeJu knows, Jin Oh to be.

Episode 15 deserved to be seen and episode 16 should be watched again for beauty of the story, the writing and the acting, but honestly I can't go through that emotional wringer again.

Chicago Typewriter was a wonderful  with great heroes both male and female.  If anything our 1930s heroine was more independent and badass than our contemporary heroine. It was a great exploration of love, romantic and platonic. 

Spoiler

tenor.gif

• Like 8

So love this drama.  I decided to watch this because of Yoo Ah In (never miss any of his dramas and movies) but I didn't expect it to be this good.  It's been awhile since I've watched a drama that makes me eagerly wait for the next episodes.  I wish the writer/producer would make a part2 of this.  I like to see these three actors working together again.

• Like 6

On 6/3/2017 at 3:57 PM, Miky88 said:

The relationship between Se Ju and Jin Oh was without a doubt the highlight and soul of this drama,the way both of them helped and healed each other,how Jin Oh managed to make Se Ju be alive again and how this one found a true friend and move on and enjoy his life…

@Miky88I loved your analysis, could not have said it better myself and I so agree with the above quoted that Se Ju and Yoo Jin Oh's relationship was the highlight of the drama a relationship of unselfishness, of compassion such as putting oneself in the shoes of another to understand them and both Seju and Jin Oh did just that even in their past lives. an example of true humanity. Thank you for your insights. now let me get the tissues before I start bawling again...

• Like 4

I just binged watch Chicago Typewriter it was good!! Yoo Ah In can act any role I swear and bring out any character onto the screen. Im Soo Jung is fantastic as well so realistic and so believable. Glad she's back acting in dramas. Oh, Go Kyung Po, I love him he is so sweet, and I love his acting. The story of their friend is so adorable!

• Like 4

On 6/8/2017 at 8:04 PM, supergal99 said:

:wub: poke @CatchMine_ID

Aaaa I just can back logged on again to this acc I lost my password and didn't have any idea the password of registered email since I set it differently for Soompi only lmao what a chaos. Happy I can back :'D thank you so mucccccch I hope our ghost always happy there cause that Time Walk so heart-breaking :')

---

and I want to drop this here, since I really love our otp story:heart: safe and sound Seo Hwi-young and Ryu Soo-hyeon, my baby Han Se-joo and Jeon Seol

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 9:54 PM, supergal99 said:

Wowwee.... me thought u were 'stuck' in the 1930s... haaa... ok ok  *pulling yr leg*:tongue:... ahhh so u r 'safe n sound'... ops!

Hahahaha yes I stucked at 1930s and now just wake up at 2037 show. So jet-lag hahaha wish in 2037 can meet Jin-oh at his second life while he takes care Se-joo and Seol kids ahahaha it will be really cute.

Heheh I just love this show so bad:heart:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chicago Typewriter will be aired on Japan's Mnet Channel 7/15. Because of that Mnet posted KKP's introducing video

KKP said: 'Mnet Channel viewers, hello! I'm an actor Ko Kyung Pyo. If u watch Chicago Typewriter then... Mnet!"

there is Japanese poster

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished this drama. I literally cried a litre of tears for our tragic couple. 

I honestly thought this drama was set in the 30's so I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't. Lol. That didn't stop me from watching it of course. I also came for Go Kyung Pyo, but I'm absolutely in love with Yoo Ah In right now. He played Seo Hwi Young to perfection. He couldn't have done it any better. He is so charming and his subtle gazes. Umph. Although I don't like Im Soo Jung she was tolerable in here. 

Overall the drama wasn't all that great but every scene from the past was filmed amazingly!  I miss Mr. Leader already. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Loved this drama so much :dissapointed_relieved:   

Spoilerish:

Why do the super hot guys always end up as psychos?

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

With deep sadness, I would like to announce that our friend @CatchMine_ID has passed on. She was a superfan of Chicago Typewriter and Yoo Ah In. She actively engaged in this thread and made fanvids on YT. I thank her for all her contributions to the Soompi community. A moment of silence for her, please. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 1