[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

2 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Or your theory on angel could work too. That's why she exactly knew where and when to find him. Although she did say that this time she will come back and 'go to him first'. :dissapointed: Lol I can't even listen to Ailee's song anymore just cause of all those deaths and sobs. This is part of the reason I don't like the dramas with tragic ending, then all the happy memories become part of the sadness.

Notice that there was always a dandelion as a connection: in the episode 2 where she mentioned that she had found him. In the limbo again, it was frozen!! However, to me the dandelion plays a big part. First, it is used to make wishes. Moreover the way she used it, it was as if she was blessing him. Then since a dandelion is white, it can be associated to purety.

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, fikachuuu said:

Haha thanks chingu! :D

Seven Unfortunate Lifetimes, All Thanks to a Moment of Impulse by Jiu Lu Fei Xiang 

->(loved this one sooo much fully translated to english)

One Life, One Incarnation – Beautiful Bones by Mo Bao Fei Bao

(also fully translated)

There are a lot more but  kind of like from turning to young after tragic death to live diffrently.

And very short but memorable story reminding me of Wang Yeo desperation after his Queen died (not reincarnation but different, don't want to spoiler, also in English)

Mulberry Song by Jiu Lu Fei Xiang

11 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Notice that there was always a dandelion as a connection: in the episode 2 where she mentioned that she had found him. In the limbo again, it was frozen!! However, to me the dandelion plays a big part. First, it is used to make wishes. Moreover the way she used it, it was as if she was blessing him. Then since a dandelion is white, it can be associated to purety.

Could you explain this whole part?  I am highlighting the line about 'wishes', because how is this related to the whole scenario? Do you mean blowing dandelion equals to her finding him always?

'Oh I went back and found this article which actually speaks of the symbolism of dandelions.

'Symbolism of the Dandelion Flower
As such a common weed, the Dandelion didn’t even merit a mention in the Victorian language of flowers. That didn’t stop Medieval peasants and modern spiritualists from considering it a symbolic flower. Most modern admirers consider it a symbol of fighting through the challenges of life and emerging victorious on the other side. Others use it as a visual reminder of the sun’s power, especially when depression or grief makes it hard to stay sunny. Of course, there is a long running folk belief that blowing out the white puffball of seeds that the flowers turns into will grant you one wish. Others use it as a reminder to use intelligence in dealing with every kind of situation. Finally, most people agree that the Dandelion looks so cheerful and happy, even when it is taking over a sidewalk or shading out grass in a lawn.'

---

But how does it help the plot here?

And omg yes, the flower was frozen during the limbo, what could it mean?

• Like 10

Can anybody tell me WHY?

1. If Kim Shin met Ji Eun Tak before in goryeo era, so why the grim ripper said it's her first life?

2. Is it okay not to drink the tea, if it's a choice I believe lots of people want to keep their memory, why only Eun Tak is the only one choose not to drink it in the entire drama?

3. Yoo In Na and Lee Dong Wook never drink the tea, why they never remember who they are?

4. Euntak, Grim Ripper and Yoo In Na all reincarnated and why the Goblin is the only one who never start a new life? If it's because of his sins, I believe the grim ripper and that Mr Park ghost committed bigger sins, why is he the only one left for suffering loneliness?

5. Who is the red lipstick lady who change to granny sometimes?

6. Is the last time they met in Canada? How many years apart before the meeting?

7. Tbh, I don't think Kim Shin has committed sins, he just try to fight against the right thing while others sacrificed because of the King. So is he become Goblin for suffering or it's actually his reward (sorry I can't think of other words, but I know you will understand) for being righteous?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Could you explain this whole part?  I am highlighting the line about 'wishes', because how is this related to the whole scenario? Do you mean blowing dandelion equals to her finding him always?

'Oh I went back and found this article which actually speaks of the symbolism of dandelions.

'Symbolism of the Dandelion Flower
As such a common weed, the Dandelion didn’t even merit a mention in the Victorian language of flowers. That didn’t stop Medieval peasants and modern spiritualists from considering it a symbolic flower. Most modern admirers consider it a symbol of fighting through the challenges of life and emerging victorious on the other side. Others use it as a visual reminder of the sun’s power, especially when depression or grief makes it hard to stay sunny. Of course, there is a long running folk belief that blowing out the white puffball of seeds that the flowers turns into will grant you one wish. Others use it as a reminder to use intelligence in dealing with every kind of situation. Finally, most people agree that the Dandelion looks so cheerful and happy, even when it is taking over a sidewalk or shading out grass in a lawn.'

---

But how does it help the plot here?

And omg yes, the flower was frozen during the limbo, what could it mean?

In France and in Germany, if you blow a dandelion, you should make a wish. It is supposed to be granted. I can't give a real explanation but the first time she used it, KS didn't notice that the seeds of the dandelion were flying into his direction. So it was as if he had been blessed and it created a connection between JET and KS. To me, the frozen dandelion was there on purpose, left by god, since he couldn't remain by the goblin's side. To me, it was the door he created to send the goblin back to Earth. The dandelion is the connection (door) between JET and KS. In the end, God knew from the start that Kim Shin would chose love over peace and rest. JET is the reason why he started living. Although he had spent 900 years, he had never lived. How could he give up his love for her since he felt alive?

Actually, to me, God knew exactly what would happen in the limbo. How could he choose peace, if he left JET behind? He would have never rest in peace. So in order to make sure that KS doesn't regret anything or blame God, he gave him a choice (which was not a real one). By refusing death and peace, God made sure that Goblin would keep his promise (rain and snow), yet he had to suffer for that. On the other hand, he told KS that all the people he knew had no memories of him. It was to make him realise the good side of memories. In the past, he used to suffer from memories. Now, it could see the negative aspect of being erased in people's memories. God's intention is pretty clear: through that experience, KS learns to cherish memories and hold onto it. That's why he could live in the limbo for 9 years (his love but the time spent with her were his strength), just like when he came back. So JET's reincarnation knew the signification of the dandelion: how to find KS. Notice that she came from behind, just like in the episode 2.  

Are you satisfied with that answer?

• Like 15

46 minutes ago, janeeta said:

Guys, I need your help here in something. On MDL, I feel that the picture they have of KGE is outdated and represents her from the CITT era, not herself. I've tried submitting a new picture of her but the mod there kinda doesn't like me so she keeps denying it (literally, her reason was "no reason"). She's letting me change GY's pic but not KGE which makes no sense. I want to replace her picture with the following one so if anyone had a MDL account, please help me out

Sorry for cutting your post, I submitted the request :)

Does anyone know how much approximately will cost director cut DVD/blu ray? I have really no idea of what range it may be.

Heh next post answeared my question.

Director's cut Daum site:

http://m.cafe.daum.net/dokebidvd?

if you click on "For overseas", a survey of demand form will open, which is this:

https://form.office.naver.com/form/responseViewMobile.cmd?formkey=ZWU1YTZjNTYtOWIzZS00MzdhLTlmZjctOTFjNzQ1ZWZiMTIw&sourceId=urlshare

DVD/bluray is already confirmed and even open for preorder on yesasia for Korean fans:

http://www.yes24.com/campaign/04_DVD/groupBuy/groupBuy.aspx?Eventno=35298083&CategoryNumber=004

I don't know if they haven't posted anything in English because not enough International fans filled out the form, or if they got too many Korean fans so they can't make enough DVDs. Just wanted to share with everyone. 

• Like 14

50 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

In France and in Germany, if you blow a dandelion, you should make a wish. It is supposed to be granted. I can't give a real explanation but the first time she used it, KS didn't notice that the seeds of the dandelion were flying into his direction. So it was as if he had been blessed and it created a connection between JET and KS. To me, the frozen dandelion was there on purpose, left by god, since he couldn't remain by the goblin's side. To me, it was the door he created to send the goblin back to Earth. The dandelion is the connection (door) between JET and KS. In the end, God knew from the start that Kim Shin would chose love over peace and rest. JET is the reason why he started living. Although he had spent 900 years, he had never lived. How could he give up his love for her since he felt alive?

Actually, to me, God knew exactly what would happen in the limbo. How could he choose peace, if he left JET behind? He would have never rest in peace. So in order to make sure that KS doesn't regret anything or blame God, he gave him a choice (which was not a real one). By refusing death and peace, God made sure that Goblin would keep his promise (rain and snow), yet he had to suffer for that. On the other hand, he told KS that all the people he knew had no memories of him. It was to make him realise the good side of memories. In the past, he used to suffer from memories. Now, it could see the negative aspect of being erased in people's memories. God's intention is pretty clear: through that experience, KS learns to cherish memories and hold onto it. That's why he could live in the limbo for 9 years (his love but the time spent with her were his strength), just like when he came back. So JET's reincarnation knew the signification of the dandelion: how to find KS. Notice that she came from behind, just like in the episode 2.  

Are you satisfied with that answer?

I like your interpretation for the reason of Shin's choosing forever over death. For some reason I always had this idea by default that being goblin's bride would grant ET some power and she would also get to have some mystical power like Shin did [ don't remember if I spoke of this before]. But ET did blew dandelions, and said 'found you' in the first life, and then this life too. For the first life it could be literal, but then we have seen these dandelions in the limbo, and then in next life as well. So,we could say that it is a trademark of ET. But as for whether she used it to find Shin,is that addition really necessary? Since she has this ability in her by default [*finding out Shin] because she 'is' the goblin's bride. I read from that blog that dandelions also mean 'Long lasting happiness and youthful joy,getting your wish fulfilled.Since the Dandelion can thrive in difficult conditions, it is no wonder that people say the flower symbolizes the ability to rise above life’s challenges." So, may be it is working here as a metaphor. That ET would always have the qualities of dandelion in her and come back to Shin no matter what. Maybe the dandelions were frozen in the limbo, because ET wasn't at the control of her own self at that phase. Her power wasn't working. But then she bought that cake and blew out the candle, and the dandelions came back to life. May be the flower itself is always associated with ET, don't know if that makes sense.

Edited by nearsea
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, nearsea said:

@shahlooblah But an attendant from the hotel would also address him as 'sir' right? Or  I don't know if there is any other korean word which suits the term better. When ET comes back if 60 years have passed in between, then deok hwa would be 30+30+30=90 yrs old. :S The butler didn't look that old. Also I doubt Shin would make Deok Hwa do those chores considering their relationship. DH should sit at the top of the business remember?

"Naeuri" is an olden Korean form of speech (saeguk) though which isn't really used anymore by present day Koreans, unless in saeguk dramas/movies. It's often translated to "My Lord", like a liege lord. Hotel attendants would more likely go with "-ssi" or "-nim" I think. Unless Kim Shin specifically requested to be addressed as "Naeuri" which feels strange since we've never seen him done so before. Secretary Kim simply refers to him as CEO, even when he knows there's more to him than that. While, on the other hand, we've seen DeokHwa's ancestors do so through generations.

At 90, DeokHwa could be retired already or had simply dropped by for a visit while he was in Canada also? Since they own the hotel too, he could've visited to check in on the hotel and Kim Shin. Like how grandpa would visit Kim Shin from time to time before and worry about the silverware not being cleaned. He didn't ask the old guy/DeokHwa to do any chores though? 

Now that we're in this train of thought, it makes me curious to know who Kim Shin's new caretaker is, since grandpa was around 80-81yrs old when he assigned(I can't think of a proper term) DeokHwa to Kim Shin.

• Like 10

'Lotteria' releases hilarious parody of 'Goblin' with Kim Min Kyo for their new CF

'Lotteria' released a hilarious parody of hit drama 'Goblin' for their new long cheese stick CF!

Comedian/actor Kim Min Kyo turned into Gong Yoo and parodied the key scene from the drama. Originally, the scene shows Gong Yoo finding out about Kim Go Eun's ability to see the sword stuck in his chest. In the CF, it's not the sword, but something cheesy stuck in the heart of Kim Min Kyo.

Check out the hilarious parody CF!

Source: http://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/01/lotteria-releases-hilarious-parody-of-goblin-with-kim-min-kyo-for-their-new-cf

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, indreams88 said:

At 90, DeokHwa could be retired already or had simply dropped by for a visit while he was in Canada also? Since they own the hotel too, he could've visited to check in on the hotel and Kim Shin. Like how grandpa would visit Kim Shin from time to time before and worry about the silverware not being cleaned. He didn't ask the old guy/DeokHwa to do any chores though? 

I vaguely remember that scene, since I was too sad to look past the details. So I thought his attire was a bit lowly? I mean grandfather always wore this suits, and carried himself with poise, so I thought this man couldn't be deok hwa. Also deok hwa would call him 'uncle' [samchun] right? Just because he grew old would he address him as Sir?

*Btw thanks for explaining the word in terms of  korean linguistics. So, it is not the hotel attendant either. That sure is interesting.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, janeeta said:

Yeah I don't think DH would ever call him "sir" :lol: He'd rather give up his credit card.

Hahah, ikr? Acting so proper and prim doesn't go with DH. Also he looked like a complete stranger to me. There was no remnants of DH in him :S. Ok may be it was the driver whom Shin sent to the secretary. :S

• Like 4