[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

goblin dvd director's cut differences bluray dvd

Hello everyone, I would like to buy Goblin director cut limited ed that was released on january 2018.
I wonder if someone could help me

Do you know if there is something different between dvd and bluray version ? I mean if in the bluray version there are more contents, more special features or extras compared to dvd ??? I cannot find any site giving info about that. thanks in advance for your answer

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum and the only drama that I watch in 2017 is Goblin (I know, I was so late that I started the party when everyone else left already). 

I finished this drama only 5 months ago and experienced a serious withdrawal symptom (well, I still do until now)
So I seached and search for anything related to this drama and came across this thread while suffing the net. 
I read and read all 1081 pages of this thread like 3 times and couldn't help but being amazed by all the thoughtful insights, analyses, essays that all the wonderful senior soompiers posted here.
I mean, reading this thread made me appreciate the drama even more. And I've fallen in love with our beloved characters even harder thanks to this thread.
And I think this thread has already died down, but if there is anyone out there who happens to start watching this drama lately (like I did); I would be more than happy to discuss with her/him.

(I don't think anyone would be reading my babble *LoL*)
And please pardon my rusty English since I don't use it that much - I do hope that my sentences make sence.
Edited by michiyo90
  • Like 2

I don't know if I should write this post or not since I doubt It'll be read by anyone, but I still feel the urge to pour my heart out on how I feel about this drama and our characters (our ShinTak coulpe to be precise). 

I watched this drama long after it's ended already so I was spared of whole controversial issues while it was airing and watched this drama with an open mind (I don't even know any of the actors and actresses back then). What caught my attention was the breathtaking cinematography, the ost, the hilarious bromance, the poetic dialogues and the main couple interaction &  slow burn chermistry, ...
Only after reading some recaps on other site and searching for its related news, did I notice those issues (the age-gap, laking of OTP chermistry, the hate on female lead bubbling & cheery character, some even voiced out that the real OTP to be Shin-Yeo; and Euntak would be a redundant character.....)

On 19/12/2016 at 5:09 PM, maryofbethany said:

the topic and MYSTERY "why keep talking about Age-gap"?
as if this 'Age-gap' problem is something that is handled very badly (above all other recent dramas) by Goblin, that netizens have to cherry-pick Goblin to rant against Age-gap, weeks after weeks. when many other dramas has done "age-gap' romances since long loooooooong ago.....

On 19/12/2016 at 5:09 PM, maryofbethany said:

so, what's the problem with Goblin, when our 900yrs old, looks MORE pretty (or as pretty) than any of the Male leads at the above 9 ahjusshi romance dramas). if we factor in his character Kim shin's 'actual' age, then no girls on this whole wide world is fix to be his bride. LOL> thank God soompi fans are very mature, and we don't have such problems here.

Though all other expert commentators had already pointed out before, I would like to humbly express my own POVs. 

I think if someone who already set his/her mind on stone that "this couple looks so wrong together" or "I hate this couple, they look nothing like lovers"; or even worse "What's he doing? He's old enough to be her father".... If that person himself/herself doesn't want to change perspective on that matter, then there's nothing we can do to prove him/her otherwises.

The age-gap :

- 939 vs 19: Shin is old enough to be Eun Tak 's great great (x9) grand father. I think their problem is not really the character's actual age-gap, but how our OTP were styled.

(if you have to think about it - then Habaek&SoAh - Bride of the water god; or Do Min‑joon&Cheon Song‑yi - You who came from the star also have such unreal age-gap too)

At the first half of this drama, Shin always wears long coat, or suit - which is nice and suited him, but it gave off a very serious vibe, a grown man vibe; in contrast of Eun Tak's bright outfits and many of her hoodies - that gave off a young, bubbling, childish vibe.

Spoiler

tumblr_p5hgvfaQ4u1x0l2s4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p5hhjiPQWA1x0l2s4o1_1280.png

tumblr_p5hh54xgy81x0l2s4o1_1280.png

I always wonder why outfits of the OTP in first episode had to be like this. If they styled Euntak with the clothes like in ep 14, 15, or got her out of the uniform, then many wouldn't have problems with their chermistry.

Funny thing is, I think the constant reminder of Euntak's age and the choice of wardrobe in first ep were on purpose. 

It showed how opposite our hero and heroin were. The contrast between light and dark in their character shown through wardrobe choice. Or how at least I choose to see in that way.

I'll be writing another post on other subjects later (or should I just edit this post instead:huh:) because it's late where I am now and also because I ran out of word (you see, English is not my 1st language so It's really hard for me to come up with these many words *LoL*)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, psp1206 said:

I was wondering about the Blu-ray...was there any additional scenes that were added or not?

The director's cut version included the uncut version of the kiss scene in episode 15. I recommend you to purchase it. But It seems there's no English subtitues in the DVD.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

goblin_ep14_1000.jpg?w=605&h=315

Spoiler

tumblr_olyqz8ZvEO1t7splro1_540.gif

For all this time I've been believing this dried branch is a dried dandelion (which implies Eun Tak's power of summoning Shin was sealed and could not work (since he's in a place between the rounds, not earth, not heaven nor hell)

Until recently have I found out that this branch is NOT dandelion. A dandelion branch is straight without twig, and this dried branch with twig at that limbo is likely a Angelica sinensis flower ( commonly known as "Dong Quai" or "Female ginseng") (source)

Spoiler

1482825156-1183460780_n.jpg

AngelicaPic.jpg

angelica-sinensis-detail.jpg

AR-307109994.jpg&maxh=332&maxw=504

Image credit to the owner

And the "Dong Quai" or "Female ginseng" flower meaning in Korea is "Reunion". A huge applause for the director who came up with this brilliant idea of inserting such meaningful flower to this scene. It's such a powerful scence that demontrated Shin's undying love for Eun Tak. Walking relentlessly in a place with no end in sight; hoping, pleading for a "vague Reunion"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 12:42 AM, jinjoint said:

Hi Goblin fans! I could have sworn there is a scene where Ji Eun Tak explains Korean slang to Kim Shin, for example "Hul!" = "OMG" which took place in a restaurant. But I can't find it. Does anyone know the episode, or am I thinking of another drama? 

@jinjoint I think you mean this part in episode 11, when Shin came to Eun Tak's graduation,  and he was kinda surprised that he saw her though the future vision of the teacher's past life. 

Spoiler

4AjPgZs.jpg

Kim Shin: In late Joseon,12th year of King Chuljong's reign, I met her.
Eun Tak: Who?
Kim Shin: My first love.
Eun Tak: Why this man. I didn't ask-wanna-know

(in this sentence , she used the Korean slang which she learnt on the internet, literal means "she doesn't ask and doesn't want to know", that ask-wanna-know phrase is just my make up one. Sorry if it does not make sense) 

• Like 1

I heard that the scene where KS and ET meet at the park with tombs on early eps was the same scene at the last ep (sorry, I dont know how to explain it better). Is that true?

If that's true, it means that they showed about KS and ET meeting/reunited in the future (at the last ep) from the beginning of the drama?

9 hours ago, dotonly said:

I heard that the scene where KS and ET meet at the park with tombs on early eps was the same scene at the last ep (sorry, I dont know how to explain it better). Is that true?

If that's true, it means that they showed about KS and ET meeting/reunited in the future (at the last ep) from the beginning of the drama?

Yes, they did show us the ending in ShinTak's first encounter on the street in episode 1

Given that all the scenes in Quebec had already filmed at one go when they went there (around October, November 2016 I think), so the casts had to potray the characters in 3 diffirent timelines (at the age 19, 29 and in the next life).

This matter has been discussed many times in this thread before, but since I can't backread these many posts, so here's my image comparison of the blurry scene vs the actual scene.

tumblr_pbp23dJ28r1x0l2s4o1_540.png

Many said that the black and white blurry images (shown in ep 1 when the two met) was Shin's vision of Euntak.

I myself think of those as hints that the show showed us audiences about the possible of future relation of two people walking pass each other in the rain (in the first encounter)

Since Shin said many time that he could not see Eun Tak's future, I take his word as it is, meaning he counldn't see a thing, not even some blurry images. 

Until ep6, when he was waiting for her near the bookstore after her part-time job (when he was kinda more open to her), he still told her that he couldn't see anything in her (future). There's no reason for him to lie about that then.

• Thanks 1

@michiyo90 Are you reading this thread from the start? You really like this drama.

Im new at soompi too but I dont think I can do what you're doing now. As you can see, English not my first language too.

1 hour ago, dotonly said:

@michiyo90 Are you reading this thread from the start? You really like this drama.

Im new at soompi too but I dont think I can do what you're doing now. As you can see, English not my first language too.

Yes, I've been reading this thread from the start (and re-read it for 3rd, 4th time already - talk about obsession *LoL*). I couldn't help but being amazed at all of the thoughtful analysis, insights, theories... that this theard has to offer. I watched this drama 9 months after it ended already and been hooked ever since. After I finished watching the drama for the nth time, I mostly relied on FMVs of this drama on youtube to ease my withdrawal symptom (ShinTak's FMVs to be precise - as you can see - I'm such a ShinTak hopeless shipper ^_^). 

I'm also new here too (this is my 12th post and most of them is on this thread :D); and my native language is not English as well. So It takes me quite sometime to even submitting one single post, also because of my limited English, I couldn't be able to express myself as well as I hoped.

If only I've known this drama while it's still airing.....

• Like 1

@michiyo90

Your English way better than mine. But dont you feel lonely here because no one would reply to you. No other drama to watch? You can still be obsessed while watching other drama.

And you're right. I too need a long time to submit my post. And I shamelessly join the discussion on new drama thread, lol.

Edited by Guest
Corrected

1 hour ago, dotonly said:

@michiyo90

Your English way better than mine. But dont you feel lonely here because no one would reply to you. No other drama to watch? You can still be obsessed while watching other drama.

And you're right. I too need a long time to submit my post. And I shamelessly join the discussion on new drama thread, lol.

@dotonly of course it's kinda lonely to dig up an already die down topic,  knowing nobody will reply to your post,  as they all moved on a long time ago. 

I do watch some current airing shows (such as "What's wrong with Secretary Kim", "Mr. Sunshine" - the Goblin writer's work)..... But as funny and meaningful as those shows are,  as much as I want to enjoy them,  I keep comparing them to Goblin.  

I mean, those shows are really good in their own ways,  but maybe due to my love for Goblin is still very high, I can't really enjoy them to the fullest. 

Maybe after my like for Goblin goes down,  will I be able to really enjoy other shows.  Just that I don't know when will that happen :))))))))

And please join as many discussions as you want,  one thing I learn from lurking in this thread is that here in soompi (at least 2 years ago), people don't go around judging others' spelling or grammar.  As long as your general opinion is conveyed,  it will be answered! 

• Like 2

Regarding age gap thing, there have been so many movies, dramas, animes which have the theme of a ancient fantasy person falling in love with a human: Twilight (Edward is over 100 years, Bella is 17 or 18), Inuyasha (Inuyasha is around 200 years old, Kagome is in high school), The Vampire Diaries, etc. 

Goblin is a FANTASY drama and I don't see anything wrong in the whole age gap thing... Now if it was a human 100 year old with a 15 year old girl, I would protest out in the streets. This is different. 

I enjoyed Goblin so much that it doesn't even make me feel sad or bad when someone bashes it. I'm like "I'm so glad that I could enjoy and revel this mystic experience and it's just a shame you can't have the same" 

• Like 2