[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

From what I knew,  the director cut DVD contains the uncut version of the hotel kiss in episode 15. Other than that,  there're plenty of behind the sences footages which was not on tvN official YouTube channel.  So yeah,  I recommend you to purchase it.  :wub:

I haven't been to this thread since I finished watching Goblin but decided to come visit... it's nice to see there are still a lot of people enjoying it and re-watching. I'm certainly enjoying reading the comments here.

At first, I felt sad about the fact that Goblin was still immortal and would have to endure losing ES over and over again as she grows old and dies and then comes back to life. It felt awfully lonely to have to wait for her to come back to him without knowing when she would return. One can't help but ask, "how is it better than the life he had before her?"

Before ES entered his life, he had spent centuries waiting for the "bride who would set him free". And then after he met ES, he fell in love with her only to lose her in the end and then have to wait for her again.

BUT I realized that this "wait" is different. Yes, he is still waiting for his bride and he still doesn't know how long he will have to wait until she returns to him but the difference is that he knows a) who he is waiting for and the kind of person she is and b) what to look forward to. For these 2 reasons, this makes the waiting tolerable and it is something he can look forward to with hope. 

I also think that in a way, they exist for each other. He chose to come back to her after he died and she chose to come back to him after she died. Remember that the Goblin's bride is the one who will set him free so I believe that eventually, they will be together permanently whether that be in life or the after life. The way I see it, she holds the key to his existence and the two of them are tied together.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 12/11/2016 at 8:42 PM, selenette said:

@ireumimolla

@bebebisous33 had added a beautiful insight on sunflower (and you can also read her detailed analysis on colors), so I'd like to add a bit information on buckwheat flowers.

I haven't found any reference on this symbolism (buckwheat as "lovers"), but I did find something about buckwheat flowers in Korean context.

In 1936, there was a short story written by  Lee Hyo-seok. The title was 메밀꽃 필 무렵 (Memilkkot pil mulyeob), which was loosely translated in English by duo Kim Chong-un and Bruce Fulton and other translators as "When Buckwheat Flowers Bloom" (1996, 2004)

Lee Hyo-seok

Cr: Gangwon.com.my

It is a story of a man who was luckless in love, only to meet his biological son (conceived in a rather memorable one night stand) later. The son had no idea that the main character was his father. The main character met the young man in a blooming buckwheat field. 

In the story, buckwheat flowers symbolize  simple happiness, hope, and love (familial, not romantic).

In spite of the differences between these two stories, the symbolisms of simple happiness, hope and love are still relatable, especially in the fated first meeting between Eun-tak and Kim Shin. 

This story and the flowers are famous in South Korea, and I read that they celebrate them by annual festivals etc.

(We can read the story in English here).

P. S . This post also serves as my support to @ucylucy 's post pages ago, that the field will play an important role in this drama.

I was skimming through the pages (again... for the nth times :sweatingbullets:) and I found this specific post.

I've wanted to talk about this topic since ages ago; but always found myself neglecting it (for the lack of words, short in thought.....); but now I finally decided to speak my mind.

So, the flower in discussion here is the buckwheat flower.

Like above, I couldn't find the meaning "Lover" of buckwheat flower mentioned anywhere (other than quotation from this drama). As herbs and greens could have different meanings in different countries and cultures, and since I don't speak Korean, I couldn't found references in Korean regarding this matter; all I did was searching at google in English; so I can't be 100% sure that my thoughts are right.

The common meanings of buckwheat flower that I could find (throgh googling) are protection and wealth. Food made of buckwheat is really healthy and that's how it is also called "food for the heart", as it helps to protect against heart disease.

The annual buckwheat flower festival is also held in first half of September,  usually from 9 - 13 Sept yearly.... 

Connecting to our drama,  Euntak was born during this festival time;  and I think there's reason why writer chose this specific month to be her birthday (other than she and her mom were saved by dokkaebi in February and she should be born 7 months later) - you can trace back to the Reaper first deceased case and Reaper-Goblin first encounter to verify my point. 

Back to the buckwheat flower's meaning - protection,  the meaning links to our drama in its own official title : GUARDIAN 

For him who protects,  for him who guards,  also it's him who loves! 

Some posters already linked Kim Shin himself as lover in the buckwheat flower's meaning in this drama universe. And when he gave her the buckwheat flower at that causeway,  it symbolizes him giving himself to her. 

tumblr_pi3cvl47Dh1vwwnij_1280.pnj

Source

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I haven't been in this forum for almost 2 years, since the drama ended! Sometimes I miss all the fun, emotional, and crazy times we had throughout the week discussing all the little details and how crazy it was here on the days when the episodes aired. I really miss this fandom as much as I miss the drama and the feelings..

I will leave some gifs here to revive some sweet little memories

TautSpiritedAzurevasesponge-size_restric

a6aeda1b2c1a3f874fc26ebce204775e.gif?ssl

original.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_ojqegzUZIh1s86jvvo1_250.gif

original.gif

tumblr_ok66c7tM8C1w2bkomo2_540.gif

tumblr_ok5292mnxP1s3irc6o1_500.gif&key=4

tumblr_ok5292mnxP1s3irc6o2_500.gif&key=5

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It’s been 3 years already.... Time does fly right :blush: 

There are many good series since Goblin; but I still feel nostalgic when I think of Goblin... The casts already moved on and played other great roles. But I still remember them as their Goblin’s characters.... 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 3:45 PM, ChunSungIm said:

GOBLIN: [Deleted Scene] Kissing Episode 15. #KimGoEun & #GongYoo

This one from the preview and got cutted from the scene,maybe because too hot ?

3 years after the drama ended and now I get to see this kiss scene in 2020... Goosebumps!!! Thanks for sharing, this just made my day, haha

It's been 3 years... I decided to watch Goblin again in 2020 after Crash Landing On You. I forgot how good Goblin was and still is. It still make make me laugh so hard and cry a river too... The music is still mesmerizing and one of the best of OST out there... Their actings are still super, I get to fall in love all over again with Gong Yoo and Kim Go Eun... They're both so funny and charming, portraying their characters perfectly. Even though they moved on to other projects but they'll forever Kim Shin and Ji Eun-tak.  Missing our ShinTak couple today and some other days too <3 

• Like 2

This is an amazing fan edit... heartbreaking but beautifully done <3 

Another good one with so much feel

<3

Spoiler

All these years and this song still brings so much feel ... Ailee's voice is amazing and the song portrays so well the heartbroken goodbyes b/t the Goblin and his bride 

Spoiler

This will bring a smile on your face... The times 939yo Goblin acts like a 19yo... haha

Another happy video of our ShinTak couple :)) 

And that goodbye kiss in reverse :))))

• Like 1