[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

I re-watched the drama just today. And I thought EP 4 trip to Canada summarised their whole story. And if we take this conversation for ET's #2, #3, and the remaining lives, it is so beautiful:

Spoiler

• Like 1

I read that the main cast, the writer, and the director are meeting for commentary and interviews for the DVD on March 14. I would like to ask them (the writer especially) one question:

What happens to KS after JET's fourth reincarnation?

The problem for me is the open ending.....We have so many assumptions (he goes to Heaven, she comes back as an angel) about what happens, but I would like to hear from the writer  what would have happened...She created this world of the KS, JET, GR, and Sunny, and she did not (for me) finish it properly.

Source : https://www.soompi.com/2017/03/10/winners-2017-korean-cable-television-awards/

Winners of the 2017 Korea Cable TV Awards

Goblin Ailee TWICE

tvN’s “Goblin” continues to receive love for its plot, actors, and music!

The 2017 Korea Cable TV Awards took place on March 10 at the COEX auditorium in Seoul.

The popularity of cable television in South Korea has been on the rise, and this event is a joint awards ceremony between all the cable programs and channels to celebrate big names in this specific niche of television. Similar to last year, grand prize awards were given in specific categories, rather than having one overall grand prize winner.

“Goblin” was the big winner of the night, with the drama winning two awards of its own, and Yook Sungjae taking a home for his role in the production. Singer Ailee, whose OST is still high on the charts to this day, also was awarded for her contribution.

tvN excelled overall at the ceremony, with actors from “Good Wife” and “Another Oh Hae Young” also being named and awarded.

As for other categories, girl group TWICE was named as Artist of the Year, while BTOB took home the Hallyu Star award and SEVENTEEN was noted for their performances.

Check out all the winners below!

Grand Prize Awards by Catagory

Drama – tvN’s “Goblin
Variety/Comedy – MBC Every1’s “Weekly Idol”
Culture/Documentary – YTN’s “Village Story” and CBS’s “Obedience”
Children – Daekyo Children TV’s “Classic Who Went to the Museum”
Music – I.NET’s “Hamyang Music Classroom Singing Competition” (tentative title)
New Media – Dramax’s “1% of Anything”
Global – Mnet’s 2016 Mnet Asia Music Awards (MAMA)
Production –  UMAX’s “The Cultural Heritage Told In Our History Books” (tentative title)
Channel – E Channel

Cable VOD (Video on Demand) Grand Prize Awards

Film – “The Wailing”
Drama – “Goblin”
Children – “Pororo the Little Penguin” Season 6

Cable Star Awards

Best Actor – Yoo Ji Tae (tvN’s “Good Wife”)
Popularity Award – Kim Ji Suk (tvN’s “Problematic Men”)
Scene Stealer Award – Ye Ji Won (tvN’s “Another Oh Hae Young”)
Best Couple – Kim Ji Suk and Ye Ji Won (tvN’s “Another Oh Hae Young”)
Rising Star, MC – EXID’s Hani
Rising Star, Variety – Kwon Hyuk Soo (“MBC Every1’s Tundra Show – The Annals of the Joseon Dynasty”)
Rising Star, Acting – BTOB’s Yook Sungjae (tvN’s “Goblin”)
Best Variety MC – Lee Hye Jung
Brave Star Award – Yoon Jung Soo, Kim Tae Hyun, Lady Jane, Kim Jung Min (“Brave Reporters”)
Artist of the Year – TWICE
Hallyu Star – BTOB
Performance – SEVENTEEN
OST – Ailee (“Goblin”)
Trot – Tae Jin Ah
Style Icon Award – Han Hye Jin (“Style Like It”) and Kim Joo Ri (OCN’s “Squad 38”)
Beauty Icon Award – Han Chae Young (Fashion N’s “Please Take Care of My Vanity 2”)
Character – Carrie (“Carrie and Toys”)
One Man Creator – Ddotty

• Like 1

Source : https://www.soompi.com/2017/03/12/gong-yoo-comes-rekindle-goblin-bromance-lee-dong-wooks-fan-meeting/

Gong Yoo Comes To Rekindle “Goblin” Bromance At Lee Dong Wook’s Fan Meeting

Gong Yoo Lee Dong Wook 4

The ultimate brOTP of tvN’s hit series “Goblin” is back together!

Lee Dong Wook held his “2017 Lee Dong Wook Asia Tour in Seoul 4 My Dear” fan meeting on March 12, and had Gong Yoo as his first guest, eliciting applause and cheers from his fans.

Gong Yoo Lee Dong Wook 2

Fans were treated to the two actors reenacting the infamous two-shot from “Goblin,” in which they emerge from the darkness together. Lee Dong Wook treated Gong Yoo like an honored guest, holding on to his co-star’s hand as he lead them to where they needed to go, and leaving the fans in stitches as they exchanged funny quips and ad-libs from the drama.

The two made poems using each other’s names and even bared their souls to each other playing the “I see” game.

Gong Yoo Lee Dong Wook

When Gong Yoo was asked, “What does Lee Dong Wook mean for Gong Yoo?” he replied by saying that his co-star is, “a grateful savior in my acting life.” He even teared up a little, giving fans a glimpse of how much their friendship means to him.

Lee Dong Wook then went on to praise Gong Yoo’s good looks as he said, “It’s like looking at a coffee commercial,” while Gong Yoo replied back with, “Lee Dong Wook is just so handsome. While I’m just plain.” He also added, “I’ve never met an actor who can work off my ad-libs as well as Lee Dong Wook can. I’m actually re-watching the series now that we’re done filming it. I’ve watched up to episode six.”

Spoiler

Gong Yoo Lee Dong Wook 3

Both actors received a lot of applause from their fans as they showcased the bromance they formed while acting as the goblin and grim reaper in “Goblin.”

Edited by MadraRua
Please only 3 images per post, use spoiler tag for the rest
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, seasons32 said:

The answer is in the title of the drama. After the 4th reincarnation, KS will be alone in the world. 

Before JET: Lonely

With JET: Great

Between JET's departure and Park So Min's arrival: Lonely

With Park So Min: Great

Eventually after the 4th reincarnation passes on: Lonely

I've always rationalized KS's goblinhood as God training, and eventually he'll be like the butterfly god and Samshin Halmoni. Of course, different people handle it differently, and some create an ending for themselves that is more to their taste. KES finished it properly for herself I think? The story she wanted to tell was the first time the Goblin found his Bride, rather than a weekend family drama about the Goblin couple's daily life over the 4 reincarnations, I think. ^^

Interesting...For me, I always pick that he went to Heaven because he came back to her due to the contract that exists between them and allusions in the last episode (woman waiting for her husband to go to Heaven and GR and Sunny couple going to Heaven together). I also had misgivings about his immortality after he came back because according to Korean mythology dokkaebi aka goblins  are created  from inanimate items like the sword stuck to his chest. ( so when the sword was removed, he should have returned as mortal)  I could go on and on...but I need to sleep

The Lonely in the title always give me a pause in my theory  but I think it is always what he was  until he met  JET ... That is why I like to hear from the writer about her opinion. She created a fascinating world of gods, goblins, and grim reapers that are more human than immortals in the drama, but she never (for me) properly answered what her central character gained in the end other than a bride 

I agree with  you on people having different opinions about the endings based on their tastes. I always hope for happy endings in dramas.

Guys any news regarding baeksang awards or am I too early? I hope they invite Aliee to perform, shes been killing it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Also I hope the Daesang his year will go to the Goblin staff and cast as a whole because let's be real, they all deserve it, not one single person should be snubbed.

• Like 2

It's been about two months (I think?) since I've been in this thread (and soompi in general). Just dropping by to see how the thread's doing. It seems kind of strange that it's quiet now since it kind of feels like it was only yesterday that this thread had been moving at lightning speed. Just when I thought I had moved on from Goblin little bits and pieces of details in my life, like the lyrics of some the songs I've been listening to (that has nothing to do with goblin whatsoever) or when I see fallen leaves/flowers on the pavement (even though they weren't red leaves nor peach blossom flowers) kept reminding me of the drama *cries*. 

Anyways just wanted to share this song which was reminding me of how Kim Shin was waiting for Eun tak to be reborn again in the human world. I think it gives more of a sweet romanticised view of his wait rather than a sad one but maybe that's just me :sweatingbullets:haha. I think other than Shin tak couple the lyrics can also kind of apply to pichi couple being their  newly reincarnated selves and waiting for their destined ones :D

Oh and I also have been re-watching some scenes (again haha) of goblin and just realised from the comments on the youtube videos that GR KWB was the only GR who was vegetarian/vegan since the othe GRs have been shown to be eating chicken meat at Sunny's chicken restaurant. Wonder why that is? :huh:

Screenshot_20170314-214838_zpshm6abtxv.p

• Like 7

@JaneyBae Haha I'm more of a pichi couple shipper actually but I don't mind spazzing about ShinTak couple over on that thread since they're my second otp. :D Afraid I won't be able to contribute much though sjnce I'm not a hardcore shipper. :sweatingbullets:Will transport myself like a dokkaebi to that thread once I'm done with work XD

@seasons32 Lol yeah I blame Goblin for my current drama slump too. Before goblin I had a drama slump due to "W" and now I got goblin withdrawals. My sis has been trying to get me into innocent defendant but I've only managed 1 1/2 eps? Haha. Strong woman do bong soo seemed good but I've only watched half and ep as well as 2 eps of LDW's bubblegum lolol. Not that these dramas are bad or anything its just me who can't get over Goblin even though it has been some weeks/months since it was over. *cries*

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JaneyBae said:

@fikachuuu Ahhh I wish there was a Pichi thread, I'm sure a lot of people ship them too! You can always just come and talk, we're all pretty chill shippers and once you go over there, you'll see that we like to take shipping through a light and responsible perspective :) I'll summon you after work then *blows candle*

Oh and I was totally in a slump after W too, Goblin got me out of it. I know exactly what you mean, these dramas clearly have high ratings and positive reviews so they must be good but I think we've been spoiled by Goblin *goes off to read more fan fiction cause that's all I can do*

Yeah I know, they're all over on social media haha. This might sound strange but I'm fine with no pichi couple thread. I kind of prefer to ship them quietly from the depths of my own imagination (ok I'm starting to sound creepy lol) and prefer to enjoy their cute interactions without being overanalytical with things which I can kind of tend to do at times :sweatingbullets:kkk. Nice to know that y'all are responsible shippers coz the more "passionate" ones scare me (and can be quite irksome) haha. Responsible shipping ftw!

Oh you watch "W" too? ^^ Yeah Goblin has just put my standards of kdramas to unreachable heights to the point that I can't watch the normal-although-great-dramas at least for the time being. :(

• Like 4

On March 16, 2017 at 10:15 PM, fikachuuu said:

Yeah I know, they're all over on social media haha. This might sound strange but I'm fine with no pichi couple thread. I kind of prefer to ship them quietly from the depths of my own imagination (ok I'm starting to sound creepy lol) and prefer to enjoy their cute interactions without being overanalytical with things which I can kind of tend to do at times :sweatingbullets:kkk. Nice to know that y'all are responsible shippers coz the more "passionate" ones scare me (and can be quite irksome) haha. Responsible shipping ftw!

Oh you watch "W" too? ^^ Yeah Goblin has just put my standards of kdramas to unreachable heights to the point that I can't watch the normal-although-great-dramas at least for the time being. :(

Awwww. Are you in a drama slump, @fikachuuu?

I'm sorry I left you, @staygold, and the others hanging. I had an emergency to attend to before going on this month-long business trip and I wasn't able to continue posting. 

I tried to watch the new TVN drama, Tomorrow With You, while I was in Seoul a couple of weeks ago, but since it was in -- duh, packmule3!!! -- Korean, I understood about a minute of the show. Dramafever doesn't work in South Korea. 

A few days ago while I was getting one of those famous Thai foot massages in Bangkok, I tried checking out Strong Woman Do Bong Soon. But I ended up conversing with my masseuse about Thai dramas. Hahaha. Thanks to @phikyl who introduced me to "Kiss Me", or the Miscievous Kiss Thai-version, I was able to recognize the actors Mike and Sucharat. 

I'm in Manila right now, and I think I'll pop up in the Strong Woman later tonight with a post on first live. Want to join me there? Food here in Asia is awesome but I'm not use to heavy dinners-meetings so I can't sleep at night. Lol. 

I told @phikyl in another thread that I was listening to  this Handel aria tonight.

Do you recognize it? Wasn't it the background music when Shin sliced the kidnappers' vehicle in Episode3 and rescued EunTak? 

• Like 6

On 3/20/2017 at 9:25 AM, packmule3 said:

A few days ago while I was getting one of those famous Thai foot massages in Bangkok, I tried checking out Strong Woman Do Bong Soon. But I ended up conversing with my masseuse about Thai dramas. Hahaha. Thanks to @phikyl who introduced me to "Kiss Me", or the Miscievous Kiss Thai-version, I was able to recognize the actors Mike and Sucharat. 

I'm in Manila right now, and I think I'll pop up in the Strong Woman later tonight with a post on first live. Want to join me there? Food here in Asia is awesome but I'm not use to heavy dinners-meetings so I can't sleep at night. Lol. 

@packmule3 I m watching Strong Woman and Tomorrow with you (and a few more!!). But I am not obsessed with any dramas like I was with Goblin!

Thai dramas are such a change! I particularly remember enjoying "I wanna be a Sup'tar" (it is like a Thai homage to Kdramas!) and a few stories from the Club Friday series.

• Like 3

Saw this and sharing it here. Pls note it's a heavily edited 20min clip of the Goblin drama and no offence to any fans who might not like the male char pairing up with another actress...in fact, a chinese actress some more.

Spoiler

What happened here is i assume a fan of chinese actress Joe Chen Qiao En skilfully combined that actress's footage with Gong Yoo's........what's special is he/she even managed to create a few short same-frame scenes. What's unavoidable is the dialogue....ya, one spoke in korean, the other in mandarin. Let's just say love transcend languages...haha. Anyway the person did for fun...no disrespect to the drama itself.

So far, no eng sub. The storyline is more or less the same....with the Goblin unable to save his bride over a few lifetimes, only this lifetime after accidentally met her again...in the middle part, she was told about the truth....then the evil ghost appeared....and it's a HE...when she called for him again.

• Like 2

Hello Goblin thread. I'm late but I can't help to express how much i love this drama. I've just finish it a couple days ago and was so in love with the whole project. Still having Goblin withdrawal...  Omg the feels of how Gong Yoo portray Goblin is on top. His loneliness just make me so wanna huge him, that everything will be just fine.:heart:  He look so handsome and so dreaming. Gong Yoo make me want to find a Goblin myself, but sadly I won't be able to fine one. He's too good to be true. :bawling:

Love all the cast and the beautiful locations.Gong Yoo and Kim-Go-Eun give me so much feelings. Their chemistry are so undeniably cute and amazing. The same goes to Grim Reaper's pair. What I love the most is that the main couple understand each others feelings. Everything in this drama float so well. I hope to see Gong Yoo and Kim-Go-Eun collaborate again soon. These two really bring their characters to live. The best couple and best drama of 2016. I really hope they win an award soon for their performance...awesome cast.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Guys this thread is almost dead. Hahaha! 

So last month I was looking forward to baeksang because I believed goblin was gonna bag majority of the awards. But guys have you watched innocent defendant? It might be a serious contender for professional awards. 

Not sure if it's a popular drama because I haven't been keeping up with ent news plus the drama was over before I started watching. Also jisung isn't part of the hallyu wave so idk. I'm not even halfway and I've been mind blown a couple of times. 

Ahhh I still hope goblin can get the recognition it deserves. Both shows deserve recognition. IMO I wouldn't be surprised if ID beat Goblin in cateogories. but I hope goblin can bag professional awards as well not just popularity awards. 

• Like 3