[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

11 hours ago, NRGchick said:

Hmmm.. I saw the same comments when she was confirmed for Cheese in the Trap. A lot of commentators were making judgments about her before the drama even aired! And a lot had to do with looks. 

I am a fan of hers especially after watching 'Memories of the Sword'  and 'Coin Locker Girl' (with Park Bo Gum - although it was brief) and she is an excellent actress. I do hope that people will give the drama a chance not because of the actor or actress.

I like the drama plot and hope they will release more details about the characters and more details about the plot. 

Looking forward to seeing Gong Yoo back on the small screen!

i agree with you she's so talented and the best thing she depends on her acting skills not her looks plus i'm gong yoo fan and he wanted to act with so i trust him :wub:

• Like 6

I feel really disappointed to see people's reactions once Kim Go Eun accepted the role.  She is one of the best Korean actress within the new generations.  I have itches to see Other new actress acting and I don't understand why so many scream out for their beauties but their persomances are so poor.  Kim Go Eun has portrayed the role of Hong Seol in CITT so well, the storylines went off the tracks from the middle to the end and that caused such a disappointment.  She has proved her abilities in acting by having received several awards.  I really hope Korean viewers should watch the dramas with their intellectual judgements since it is a country where the drama industries have full of excellent script writers and directors.  I think the best dramas are usually appreciated by overseas and sadly neglected by the Koreans eg Beautiful minds I'm so sick of the drama that sells the actors only. Hope Goblin is something to prove her abilities once more.

Edited by Alba Cassie
  • Like 12
  • Love 1

On 6/12/2016 at 2:47 PM, Yippeuni said:

... but HJW seems to have a very small chance since she's already played KES drama as lead before...KES never have the same main lead...

@Yippeuni

Not true.

Kim Ha Neul: heroine in both On Air and Gentleman's Dignity

Kim Jung Eun: heroine in both Lovers in Paris and Lovers

All titles in bold are Kim Eun Sook dramas.

• Like 4

On 7/19/2016 at 11:26 PM, juliacaesar said:

...KGE and PSD... But still netizens will bash on their looks because of their natural looking beauty. I have seen comments saying that one certain actress didn't deserve to become a female lead actress in a drama, only because of her looks. Should I even comment on how shallow this sounds? :rolleyes: 

On 7/20/2016 at 4:31 PM, princess nour90 said:

i agree with you she's so talented and the best thing she depends on her acting skills not her looks...

also, many other comments that I didn't quote here, written by people who are offended by the other people's displeasure with the casting of KGE as the female lead

I'll start with a disclaimer: I've got nothing against KGE, either personally or as an actress. I don't find her very beautiful/attractive in the pictures and clips I've seen of her, that's all--but that's just my personal opinion, and I think we're all entitled to our personal opinions even if we (respectfully) disagree with other people.

That said...

Look, guys, each job in this world requires a specific skill set, yes? Let's say you're a storyteller: people will expect you to have a way with words, to be able to spin a captivating yarn--but nobody will expect you to be athletic or beautiful. You're a professional cook: again, nobody will put Chinese proficiency or, say, IT skills as a job prerequisite, but they'll darn well expect you to be able to prepare delicious food.

What about an actor/actress? Well, I think it's fair to expect acting talent AND good looks, especially if the actor wants to play a main role. Just as cooking talent is needed to become a cook, athletic talent to become a sportsman etc.--so is beauty absolutely part of the skill set generally expected from a lead actor. Because humans admire beauty; they watch movies/dramas in (great) part because of the eyecandy. Why is that suddenly not okay? In any other job, we'd expect the person doing that job to have the skills required by the job description, so let's not be hypocritical and proclaim double standards for actors, just because good looks happen to be a job prerequisite--and what, that's not politically correct or something? And let's not kid ourselves that acting talent is/should be the sole prerequisite for being a successful actor. Actors know better, I'm sure; otherwise they wouldn't invest endless time, money and care into skincare, fitness, clothes, makeup--all to look beautiful. Actors know they're judged for their looks as well as their acting talent, and if they can't deal with that, then why not change their job?

Also, speaking of double standard: we're all salivating because the main leads are Gong Yoo and Lee Dong Wook--who are beautiful men by any standards. They're good actors, but not many (any?) people felt the need to talk about that when confronted with their handsome faces. So we've got male eyecandy of the highest level; why is it not okay to have expected their pairing with female eyecandy of similar level? Why is it not okay to have expected--in the spirit of equality--a female lead who is gobsmackingly beautiful, just like the two men are, besides having acting talent? Again, there's that double standard at work.

I'm not okay with people expressing themselves in offensive and disparaging terms about KGE's (or anyone's) looks, but I'm okay with people being disappointed that the chosen heroine isn't as indisputably beautiful as her male leads.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Adnana said:

Spoiler

also, many other comments that I didn't quote here, written by people who are offended by the other people's displeasure with the casting of KGE as the female lead

I'll start with a disclaimer: I've got nothing against KGE, either personally or as an actress. I don't find her very beautiful/attractive in the pictures and clips I've seen of her, that's all--but that's just my personal opinion, and I think we're all entitled to our personal opinions even if we (respectfully) disagree with other people.

That said...

Look, guys, each job in this world requires a specific skill set, yes? Let's say you're a storyteller: people will expect you to have a way with words, to be able to spin a captivating yarn--but nobody will expect you to be athletic or beautiful. You're a professional cook: again, nobody will put Chinese proficiency or, say, IT skills as a job prerequisite, but they'll darn well expect you to be able to prepare delicious food.

What about an actor/actress? Well, I think it's fair to expect acting talent AND good looks, especially if the actor wants to play a main role. Just as cooking talent is needed to become a cook, athletic talent to become a sportsman etc.--so is beauty absolutely part of the skill set generally expected from a lead actor. Because humans admire beauty; they watch movies/dramas in (great) part because of the eyecandy. Why is that suddenly not okay? In any other job, we'd expect the person doing that job to have the skills required by the job description, so let's not be hypocritical and proclaim double standards for actors, just because good looks happen to be a job prerequisite--and what, that's not politically correct or something? And let's not kid ourselves that acting talent is/should be the sole prerequisite for being a successful actor. Actors know better, I'm sure; otherwise they wouldn't invest endless time, money and care into skincare, fitness, clothes, makeup--all to look beautiful. Actors know they're judged for their looks as well as their acting talent, and if they can't deal with that, then why not change their job?

Also, speaking of double standard: we're all salivating because the main leads are Gong Yoo and Lee Jin Wook--who are beautiful men by any standards. They're good actors, but not many (any?) people felt the need to talk about that when confronted with their handsome faces. So we've got male eyecandy of the highest level; why is it not okay to have expected their pairing with female eyecandy of similar level? Why is it not okay to have expected--in the spirit of equality--a female lead who is gobsmackingly beautiful, just like the two men are, besides having acting talent? Again, there's that double standard at work.

I'm not okay with people expressing themselves in offensive and disparaging terms about KGE's (or anyone's) looks, but I'm okay with people being disappointed that the chosen heroine isn't as indisputably beautiful as her male leads.

Im just gonna keep it short because i absolutely despite having "arguments" on the internet with someone i dont know.

I would agree with you how LOOKS can be important in some cases. However, I dont agree that BEAUTY has to be of importance. Sure, if a particular character is described as a goddess walking on earth, then a "fit actor" for that role would be casted. If the movie's/drama's/series' plot is about having eye candy, then sure, people considered eye candy would be casted. If the character has nothing set about beauty as its criteria, then that should be it. Anyone should get the chance. Has Tom Hanks and the many movies he's been in been praised because of his looks? No. Would it have made more people watching it if for example Brad Pitt was casted? Maybe. Still, Tom Hanks made it work beautifully without using the means of beauty. So I dont see it as a necessary criteria, but perhaps like a bonus. Its a shame to see that it seems like a woman to have beauty is more essential to being able to have leading roles than men in the industry. In SK I see the opposite, as you said. I say if Heo Joon Seok was casted here as the lead, I would still watch it since I find the story interesting. Others may not think the same as I do, even though the outcome of the drama may still have the same quality despite the beauty of the leads. I dont think DotS would have been as huge of a success if both the Songs and their beauty wasnt involved. Lets not even talk about Moon Lovers :P However, Park Shin Yang isnt someone who everyone finds attractive, but My Neighborhood Lawyer or Painter of the Wind did really well in ratings. 

Also, two people, whoever they may be, dont have to be equals to match. 

This is just a disagreement to your disagreement. As I mentioned, I dont get people who fight over the internet like immature teenagers. We're just two people with different opinions, and I wanted to express mine after hearing yours. And shoot, I failed at keeping it short.

• Like 8

On 8/8/2016 at 1:24 PM, juliacaesar said:
Spoiler

Im just gonna keep it short because i absolutely despite having "arguments" on the internet with someone i dont know.

I would agree with you how LOOKS can be important in some cases. However, I dont agree that BEAUTY has to be of importance. Sure, if a particular character is described as a goddess walking on earth, then a "fit actor" for that role would be casted. If the movie's/drama's/series' plot is about having eye candy, then sure, people considered eye candy would be casted. If the character has nothing set about beauty as its criteria, then that should be it. Anyone should get the chance. Has Tom Hanks and the many movies he's been in been praised because of his looks? No. Would it have made more people watching it if for example Brad Pitt was casted? Maybe. Still, Tom Hanks made it work beautifully without using the means of beauty. So I dont see it as a necessary criteria, but perhaps like a bonus. Its a shame to see that it seems like a woman to have beauty is more essential to being able to have leading roles than men in the industry. In SK I see the opposite, as you said. I say if Heo Joon Seok was casted here as the lead, I would still watch it since I find the story interesting. Others may not think the same as I do, even though the outcome of the drama may still have the same quality despite the beauty of the leads. I dont think DotS would have been as huge of a success if both the Songs and their beauty wasnt involved. Lets not even talk about Moon Lovers :P However, Park Shin Yang isnt someone who everyone finds attractive, but My Neighborhood Lawyer or Painter of the Wind did really well in ratings. 

Also, two people, whoever they may be, dont have to be equals to match. 

This is just a disagreement to your disagreement. As I mentioned, I dont get people who fight over the internet like immature teenagers. We're just two people with different opinions, and I wanted to express mine after hearing yours. And shoot, I failed at keeping it short.

I enjoyed reading your answer and about keeping it short--don't sweat it, 'cause I'm not very good at brevity either. :)

I'd like to address some of your points.

"Has Tom Hanks and the many movies he's been in been praised because of his looks? No."

I don't know. I mean, I know he's a great actor, but I've always quite liked his face as well. He's not Brad Pitt (how many men are?), but he's a handsome man, especially in his "You've got Mail" days. I honestly can't think of *any* actor with a very successful career in Hollywood as a leading man (and not, say, a villain or the comic relief) who I'd consider ugly. Like, even Al Pacino or Mickey Rourke, when they first started out, were uber-gorgeous.

"If the character has nothing set about beauty as its criteria, then that should be it."

Not all rules are acknowledged overtly; some are just understood without being verbalized. For example, nobody told me not to go, uninvited, and sit down at the popular table in the HS cafeteria; I knew not to do it anyway.

I think it's obvious, if you're casting for a Romantic Comedy (and not, say, a noir thriller), you cast eyecandy in the main roles. I think it's obvious, especially, if you cast a beautiful hero, you should cast a similarly-beautiful heroine. Why? Because otherwise you risk that people, with knowledge of the real world, will reject the farfetched fantasy of this unequal pairing and they won't buy into the on-screen romance. They'll experience a disconnect and you'll lose them as your audience. 

So, genre matters. In a KES-penned drama, where your primarily expect a sweeping romance, you also expect eyecandy, both male and female. For a KES-drama, with the attendant expectations, Kim Go Eun was a disappointing choice for the heroine. Acting talent has nothing to do with it.

"Also, two people, whoever they may be, dont have to be equals to match."

Ideally, you're right. In reality? From bitter experience and from watching the world, I think that couples who don't match at all lookswise rarely make it longterm (unless one is very beautiful and the other one very rich). Again, I'm not saying there are no exceptions, but they're just exceptions. Someone had to have coined the oft-used phrase "He/She is out of my league".

"Anyone should get the chance."

I agree that's how it *should* be in a perfect world, but again, that's not how it is.

That's not how it is in 95% of the cases, whether they're filming your average American CW show, a US bigscreen blockbuster, or a K-drama. Plain and simple, humans as a race admire beauty, so they'll be looking for beauty throughout their lives (whether in art, music, or people on the silver screen). Shows like "My Neighborhood Lawyer" or "Painter of the Wind" are the exceptions covered in the remaining 5% and I might be wrong (I haven't watched them), but I don't think these dramas even have romance (at least, not of the sweeping, passionate kind, like in DotS or "The Princess' Man"). Coincidence or not, for these types of dramas, romance is not their genre from the start, they're not chasing mass appeal, and so they won't cast entirely based on looks. Though even then, they only go so far and not further, so they add a gorgeous Kang Sora or Moon GY to the cast, to "balance things out". 

I'm not saying I agree with this state of things, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Even K-dramas that would like to sell us the fantasy that the average-looking clumsy gal (the girl that most women like us identify with, if we aren't drop-dead gorgeous) has a chance to win the heart of the young, perfectly handsome & rich hero, can't really commit so they go casting someone like HJG in "She Was Pretty" and try to fool us that corkscrew curls and freckles make her ugly when it's perfectly obvious she's beautiful. And you know why they don't cast a really ugly girl? Because, like I said, that would create a mental disconnect for the audience, and they just wouldn't buy the romance.

"I say if Heo Joon Seok was casted here as the lead, I would still watch it since I find the story interesting."

:) So this is not true at all?

Men-Kdramas_zpsaqkqz9tx.png

At any rate, see how you expressed that? You would watch it if the story is interesting, but you wouldn't watch it for the extra eyecandy factor (because there would be none), or for the romance. For any genre, there are expectations. In a drama of Signal's genre, you expect an intricate, captivating story; it doesn't really matter if the leads are beautiful.

But in a KES-penned drama, you don't go in for a highbrow, intellectual plot--you go in for a sweeping romance. And I repeat, you expect eyecandy, both male and female. 

"I dont think DotS would have been as huge of a success if both the Songs and their beauty wasnt involved. Lets not even talk about Moon Lovers"

Like I said. :)

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Adnana said:
Spoiler

I enjoyed reading your answer and about keeping it short--don't sweat it, 'cause I'm not very good at brevity either. :)

I'd like to address some of your points.

"Has Tom Hanks and the many movies he's been in been praised because of his looks? No."

I don't know. I mean, I know he's a great actor, but I've always quite liked his face as well. He's not Brad Pitt (how many men are?), but he's a handsome man, especially in his "You've got Mail" days. I honestly can't think of *any* actor with a very successful career in Hollywood as a leading man (and not, say, a villain or the comic relief) who I'd consider ugly. Like, even Al Pacino or Mickey Rourke, when they first started out, were uber-gorgeous.

"If the character has nothing set about beauty as its criteria, then that should be it."

Not all rules are acknowledged overtly; some are just understood without being verbalized. For example, nobody told me not to go, uninvited, and sit down at the popular table in the HS cafeteria; I knew not to do it anyway.

I think it's obvious, if you're casting for a Romantic Comedy (and not, say, a noir thriller), you cast eyecandy in the main roles. I think it's obvious, especially, if you cast a beautiful hero, you should cast a similarly-beautiful heroine. Why? Because otherwise you risk that people, with knowledge of the real world, will reject the farfetched fantasy of this unequal pairing and they won't buy into the on-screen romance. They'll experience a disconnect and you'll lose them as your audience. 

So, genre matters. In a KES-penned drama, where your primarily expect a sweeping romance, you also expect eyecandy, both male and female. For a KES-drama, with the attendant expectations, Kim Go Eun was a disappointing choice for the heroine. Acting talent has nothing to do with it.

"Also, two people, whoever they may be, dont have to be equals to match."

Ideally, you're right. In reality? From bitter experience and from watching the world, I think that couples who don't match at all lookswise rarely make it longterm (unless one is very beautiful and the other one very rich). Again, I'm not saying there are no exceptions, but they're just exceptions. Someone had to have coined the oft-used phrase "He/She is out of my league".

"Anyone should get the chance."

I agree that's how it *should* be in a perfect world, but again, that's not how it is.

That's not how it is in 95% of the cases, whether they're filming your average American CW show, a US bigscreen blockbuster, or a K-drama. Plain and simple, humans as a race admire beauty, so they'll be looking for beauty throughout their lives (whether in art, music, or people on the silver screen). Shows like "My Neighborhood Lawyer" or "Painter of the Wind" are the exceptions covered in the remaining 5% and I might be wrong (I haven't watched them), but I don't think these dramas even have romance (at least, not of the sweeping, passionate kind, like in DotS or "The Princess' Man"). Coincidence or not, for these types of dramas, romance is not their genre from the start, they're not chasing mass appeal, and so they won't cast entirely based on looks. Though even then, they only go so far and not further, so they add a gorgeous Kang Sora or Moon GY to the cast, to "balance things out". 

I'm not saying I agree with this state of things, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Even K-dramas that would like to sell us the fantasy that the average-looking clumsy gal (the girl that most women like us identify with, if we aren't drop-dead gorgeous) has a chance to win the heart of the young, perfectly handsome & rich hero, can't really commit so they go casting someone like HJG in "She Was Pretty" and try to fool us that corkscrew curls and freckles make her ugly when it's perfectly obvious she's beautiful. And you know why they don't cast a really ugly girl? Because, like I said, that would create a mental disconnect for the audience, and they just wouldn't buy the romance.

"I say if Heo Joon Seok was casted here as the lead, I would still watch it since I find the story interesting."

:) So this is not true at all?

Men-Kdramas_zpsaqkqz9tx.png

At any rate, see how you expressed that? You would watch it if the story is interesting, but you wouldn't watch it for the extra eyecandy factor (because there would be none), or for the romance. For any genre, there are expectations. In a drama of Signal's genre, you expect an intricate, captivating story; it doesn't really matter if the leads are beautiful.

But in a KES-penned drama, you don't go in for a highbrow, intellectual plot--you go in for a sweeping romance. And I repeat, you expect eyecandy, both male and female. 

"I dont think DotS would have been as huge of a success if both the Songs and their beauty wasnt involved. Lets not even talk about Moon Lovers"

Like I said. :)

This time I promise I WILL keep it short! I just wanted to point out how we are definitely looking at this from different types of angles. You point out the facts very well. Youre telling it as how it is, being realistic, while Im talking about how it could (and to me "should") be, idealistically. Ive always seen myself as a realist rather than an idealist, but I we really cant be 100% of one thing and nothing of the other. 

But I do think those thoughts I put up are idealistically realistic. I see your points as more conservativaly realistic (sorry for using that c-word, but didnt know how else to put it). People expecting beauty since its a KES-drama, people then getting what they expect. Is it that bad with a bit of change, not always following traditions? Trying something new might upset some netizens, but you dont have to go your entire life following habits. 

As mentioned, I agree with your points from looking at one angle, but disagree from another. Hopefully with can both enjoy the drama thats handed to us nonetheless ^_^

• Like 5

"Goblin" is in discussion to be postponed to air in December

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?aid=0002583274&oid=241&lightVersion=offhtm_20160809174349302440_99_201608091745

According to Naver articles (I have selected the most informative one), it is in discussion to be postponed because there is unstable situation with drama K2 which was planned to air before Goblin and to start on September,2nd end October, 22 thus Goblin should have air it's 1st episode on 29th October. But due to K2's filming controversy (if I understood correctly i's also under discussion), unfinished casting for Goblin (another female lead for Lee Dong Wook hasn't been confirmed yet) and their search for nice overseas filming location, they maybe postpone it to December.

I hope we can find out more precise information if Soompi or others will translate this news. But...I really hope I'm wrong but it seems that they're auditioning among idols for Lee Dong Wook's partner (plese! please! please! let it be false!) In this case this drama will receive double hate and critisizm for female cast from knetz. :tears: Now I'm worried more not of competition or that it will air in December (gosh, so long to wait), but that "female lead curse" will hit this Wookie's drama...again and will ruin potential hit. But now it can be curse which will hit both male leads. 

Actually I think tvN simply doesn't want to invest in A-level actresses who're loved by knetz and they hope that KES and two male leads will be enough for Koreans to be attracted to this drama. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Princi_86 said:

"Goblin" is in discussion to be postponed to air in December

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?aid=0002583274&oid=241&lightVersion=offhtm_20160809174349302440_99_201608091745

According to Naver articles (I have selected the most informative one), it is in discussion to be postponed because there is unstable situation with drama K2 which was planned to air before Goblin and to start on September,2nd end October, 22 thus Goblin should have air it's 1st episode on 29th October. But due to K2's filming controversy (if I understood correctly i's also under discussion), unfinished casting for Goblin (another female lead for Lee Dong Wook hasn't been confirmed yet) and their search for nice overseas filming location, they maybe postpone it to December.

I hope we can find out more precise information if Soompi or others will translate this news. But...I really hope I'm wrong but it seems that they're auditioning among idols for Lee Dong Wook's partner (plese! please! please! let it be false!) In this case this drama will receive double hate and critisizm for female cast from knetz. :tears: Now I'm worried more not of competition or that it will air in December (gosh, so long to wait), but that "female lead curse" will hit this Wookie's drama...again and will ruin potential hit. But now it can be curse which will hit both male leads. 

Actually I think tvN simply doesn't want to invest in A-level actresses who're loved by knetz and they hope that KES and two male leads will be enough for Koreans to be attracted to this drama. 

Really i don't like the idea of casting idol as LDW girl he deserves a real actress but let's be optimistic and hope they 'll cast an actress even rookie or casting idol can act like Nana in The Good Wife :)

And for Kim Go Eun they did the same thing with her after casting her in CITT and comment bad things about her look, her acting but after few episodes they praise her acting and liked her :wub: 

the only thing i worry about is the writer herself i don't want her fail in writing interesting drama because i trust Gong yoo Lee dong wook and Kim go eun acting but i don't trust writers these days 

And i don't want gong yoo stay away from dramaland for another 4 years 

• Like 6

Nothing new, but at least there is no mentioning of idol partner for Dong Wook^_^

http://www.soompi.com/2016/08/09/descendants-sun-writers-new-drama-premiere-date-pushed-back/

“Descendants Of The Sun” Writer’s New Drama Premiere Date Pushed Back

“Descendants Of The Sun” Writer’s New Drama Premiere Date Pushed Back

“Goblin” (working title), the next drama by “Descendants of the Sun” writer Kim Eun Sook, has been pushed back a bit by network tvN.

tvN stated on August 9, “It’s planned that ‘Goblin’ will air around December. The schedule may change a bit depending on the schedule for ‘K2,’ which is airing before it.”

“Goblin” was originally slated to premiere in late October or early November. So far Gong Yoo and Lee Dong Wook have been confirmed to star, with Kim Go Eun’s name also reportedly attached to the project, and auditions are taking place for another female character. The story follows an immortal goblin who’s searching for a human bride so that he can end his life, who ends up living with a grim reaper who’s suffering from amnesia.

In addition to “Descendants of the Sun,” Kim Eun Sook has also penned the dramas “Heirs,” “Secret Garden,” and “Lovers in Paris.”

• Like 5

I don't hv issue on female casting bc I hv watched Wookie projects for 10 yrs, he had no issue with chemistry department.

I'm more interested with the current situation btw China/Korea war on cyberworld.

I think the delay is more on funding, bc TVn is under C J EM who is right now in hot soup bc C-investors literally are not going to support them anymore until I don't know when.

I don't know who the main sponsor for Goblin, all I know abt TVn only, if cannot be marketed to China, they hv to resort to low budget, and only can cast actors actress that can give money back to them. Plus they hv to fight with Lee Min Ho drama, so it's good they postpone it.

We cannot denied knet loving, but when money comes into pic, oversea popularity is a must.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, samzz said:

I don't hv issue on female casting bc I hv watched Wookie projects for 10 yrs, he had no issue with chemistry department.

I'm more interested with the current situation btw China/Korea war on cyberworld.

I think the delay is more on funding, bc TVn is under C J EM who is right now in hot soup bc C-investors literally are not going to support them anymore until I don't know when.

I don't know who the main sponsor for Goblin, all I know abt TVn only, if cannot be marketed to China, they hv to resort to low budget, and only can cast actors actress that can give money back to them. Plus they hv to fight with Lee Min Ho drama, so it's good they postpone it.

We cannot denied knet loving, but when money comes into pic, oversea popularity is a must.

I don't think the main reason is funding and to be honest all Gong yoo project "dramas or movies" didn't target china market and became successful afterwards like coffee prince and his movie train to busan 

i prefer good plot , good characters than popularity because good project 'll be memorable and popular too

like what happen with signal, master sun , it's okay thats love all became great dramas memorable and popular without targeting china market:)

And i agree with you too about delaying it 'll be good because fans 'll not fight or compare it wih lee min ho drama 

let's stay strong and wait to Dec :heart::blush:

• Like 3

If you take the actors under consideration YES, three of them never aim for China-even Coffee Prince for Gong Yoo and My Girl for Lee Dong Wook, which at that time both drama relatively unknown over there except through CD and Taiwan TV Channel.China still at closed door at that time.

But it's TVn  I'm concern about bc it under CJ EM who stocks plunged over the past few days. If TVn has no hand in this production, or just provide platform for airing time, then all are OK, or who know the Korean investors want to chip in.

BUT I'm glad if they are not into Chinese market as I want the old Kdrama glory again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, samzz said:

If you take the actors under consideration YES, three of them never aim for China-even Coffee Prince for Gong Yoo and My Girl for Lee Dong Wook, which at that time both drama relatively unknown over there except through CD and Taiwan TV Channel.China still at closed door at that time.

But it's TVn  I'm concern about bc it under CJ EM who stocks plunged over the past few days. If TVn has no hand in this production, or just provide platform for airing time, then all are OK, or who know the Korean investors want to chip in.

BUT I'm glad if they are not into Chinese market as I want the old Kdrama glory again.

I'm sure tvn 'll care for this drama and 'll put all efforts,money to make it popular drama in all Asia for many reasons 

First they 'll benefit from writer name after her successful dramas DOTS, HEIRS,SG,DG

Second name of two popular leads GY,LDW

Third K netizens care and love GY this year more and more after his successful movie Train to Busan in Korea ,Asia and his anticipated movie Age of Shadows so they 'll try their best to benefit from this drama

• Like 5

My Korean friend has translated that article. Everything is the same: it's not confirmed yet, but most likely Goblin will air somewhere in December because of unstable schedule for K2 (which can be true since it has been started it's filming just few days ago and it was aimed to air it's first apisode on 2nd September). And it's true that casting for another female lead is going on and most likely it will be idol group member...:vicx:

@samzz I don't have concern about Wookie's ability to build chemistry. He's the one who can build up chemistry without any single kiss in drama or skinship, with much younger or much older. But all of them were actresses. If they will cast young idol who can't act and who even don't know how to build up chemistry with man on or off-screen it can be a mess. And she shouldn't be hated by knetz. If you're right about shortage of investments (and it sounds reasonable), then they need to rely more on internal popularity and plot, promotion and drama should outstand among those dramas which will air same period. From what I see, the production company (the same who released DOTS and Bubblegum which are such a different projects in terms of their target markets and budgets) hasn't targeted China from the very beggining, I was really surprise that they've been choosing really good actors. As you said none of three is popular enough in China and Asia to sell drama there. Even if they will cast idol popular there it should be someone like Suzy or Seolheon who're more then average in acting (no offence it's my imo) and even though it might not be sold to China because of current situation. Thus they need to stick to local market and maybe some Asian markets. How tvN has filmed Reply series, Signal, Misaeng without Chinese investments and Hallyu stars there?  Reply for sure has got investments from brands because it was potential hit. I think the same will be with Goblin. KGE already has so many CF contracts who'll invest in drama to have product placements there. And if they will cast idol with another package of CF contracts then they can get another bunch of funds.

Idk if I want this drama to target China or not. Targeting China most likely means lack of quality, but Halluy status for actors if drama will work well. Without targeting China, they need at least 10% in ratings to attract sponsors and be considered a hit drama. But in this case the quality might be better.

Another thing which points on low funds is that it is mentioned in the article that they're searching for the nice place to film. And earlier it has been mentioned that they have already chosen Canada's Banff. It's frustrating that drama will loose such a great filming location because of funds shortage. :(   

@princess nour90 if to take idols, then agree with you, Nana is good choice (still we don't know how good is she in acting, maybe character in Good Wife simply suits her) and what is funny, that they have been taking part in "Roommate" with Dongwook and became friends.  Another idol who can act and who's not hated by knetz is Uee. As to KGE it was different situation before CITT, since she was quite unknown as a drama actress, she was rising actress with controversies regarding her looks and acting skills. She has proven that she can act and that she's reallypretty and charming.  But the way knetz have critisized her before CITT can't be compered with the way they hate her now.:(( I disagree with them completely but she has huge anti-fan base. All "Goblin" articles are flooded with hate towards her. Idk if KES will be able to change it, but I hope she will. And now this idol for Dongwook...  

And regarding their competition with LMH's drama, I think it might be even worse if they will air in the beggining or mid December, since LMH's drama is 20 episodes drama and it will be airing till the end of December and buzz and crazyness around drama will be in it's maximum in December. 

• Like 9

@Princi_86

to be honest i don't care about k netizen comments after drama casting news because they change all of their comments after drama airing depending on writing and acting ability i trust our heroes acting and i trust the writer even i don't like all her dramas 

so don't care so much about k netizen comments and remember what  they said about song hye kyo, han hyo joo before their drama air  so be strong and support them :)

• Like 7

I'm not sure if PD, production house or whoever behind the scene want to take a risk by taking idols esp the inexperienced one. Best e.g of the current situation is upcoming drama My Sassy Girl, whereby the table changed overnight bc investors don't want to take a risk by casting new and unknown actress. Even she is not an idol, choose by public, suddenly she was kicked from the main lead and the PD choose the rising actress instead. 

Over the past few days, there were so many  twist and turn in news and casting in many kdrama. 

@Princi, yes I know the concerns, but I don't think the role of his partner is that big. Maybe just as his right hand partner supporting his intention to topple goblin.

they cannot hire the most sexy and the most beautiful either bc it will create imbalance and of course inviting a big fan war over the main couple and second couple. I saw KGE on TV, she's very attractive in motion actually and  gives a vibe of intelligent woman. Pairing with beauty with body but blonde bimbo characters, hmmmm I can imagine the war already.

Unless that the real intention of PD to create buzz hence rating. Most of us know how idol fans react to their bias, u cannot win with them when they start their war. So better if the idol is already in their 30s, mature,  rather than in early 20s. Wookie costars since his debut 16-17 yrs ago, 80% older than him, he only had 3 actresses younger than him so far. So it's interesting to see the upcoming news.

All I want is a real germ of Kdrama- just need that old feeling again.

• Like 5