[Drama 2017] The Liar and His Lover, 그녀는 거짓말을 너무 사랑해 - Lee Hyun Woo, Joy

Chi Le

Your recap and thoughts about the last episode just about mirror my own @stroppyse! Thank you for the long post about the episode's recap, I was nodding to most of the points and scenes you raised. 

All in all, this drama was amazing! After all the hardships and pain almost everyone went through (episode 11-14 was rough for Sorim, Chanyoung, Hangyul and Crude Play boys) -- I rewatched this last episode so many times because the happy ending for everyone felt so rewarding! As a viewer who laughed and cried and swooned and generally, felt so deeply for the characters of this drama, the finale was like the perfect gift -- it kinda felt like a graduation gift because I too, grew up and learned with the characters. Loved how the show emphasized telling the truth and honesty without being too preachy. 

I read earlier about someone saying Sorim is still naive and didn't grow up at all. I disagree. I find Sorim innocent but not naive and her character, being a loyal, honest, considerate and kindhearted girl who was raised well and with love by her grandma needed no growth other than maturity brought about by her age. Emotionally, I think she was the anchor and support for a lot of the characters.

I'm totally still not over this drama ending. I loved the Shihyun and Sooyeon kiss scene (so sexy!), the picnic scene with kiss scene, the Mush and co playing scene, Yoona and Choi's farewell hug (wow, I actually teared up in that part!), and the drinking party!!! It was so cute how Sorim is a totally good drinker and I LOL'd at Jinwol being as bad with drinks as Hangyul especially after taunting him. 

Chanyoung also looked so freaking handsome! I love his fashion in the bar scene (white shirt with brushed up hair) and the practice outfit when they sang Shiny Boy. I feel a little guilty for admiring Lee Seowon so much especially since he's like only 20! Hahahaha! 

Hangyul continues to be boyfriend goals for me. From always going to her, supporting her, cooking for her (so swoon-worthy!), and his jealously over Sorim's fanboys never left any room for doubt about how much he loves her. Btw, I think he was holding hands with Sorim because his car was automatic? I mean, I hold hands with my ex-boyfriend and now husband while he drives every now and then. 

Lastly, the beating heart of this drama turned out to be our "liar" Kang Hangyul. But I have no doubt that it was Sorim's unchanging heart that moved Kang Hangyul to be the better person he is now -- she was the compass of his heart that allowed him to grow and see beyond the music he loved. 

Hangyul, Sorim, Chanyoung, Jinwoo, GyuSan, Shihyun, Sooyeon, In Ho, Choi, Yoona, saranghe! Thank you PD-nim and writer-nim!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something is missing... I would really like it if they had shown a scene where we have HG, Dad, and SR together. Even if it's just a brief one. Like eg. both of them watching Dad street-singing, and then he gives them a wink. Of course it will be great if they have a cute conversation/bantering going. But I'll be easily satisfied just to see them in a scene.

Posting some TLAHL wrap up videos from IG! I love Joy and Lee Seowon (their couple poses were so adorable!) but I'm sad Joy didn't have couple pictures with Hyunwoo. If you watch the video, Joy and Seowon arrived at the same time so they took pictures together before the press. A fan site of Joy even translated a statement from Seowon that while he didn't get to do a heart with Sorim in the drama, he did a heart with Joy in the wrap up party.

I find that Joy and Seowon has chemistry! I have a feeling I'll be seeing them in another project in the future! 

Hyunwoo arrived late (ahem, am I delulu but did anyone else notice how Hyunwoo's eyes look sad and even swollen? Like he cried the night before or something. I am reading into his treatment of Joy that maybe he kinda liked her in real life too. Btw, Sungjae had practically the same look in his eyes (sad, swollen, haggard) when he was in a fanmeet after his "marriage" to Joy ended in WGM that day. He also cut his hair! Eeeehhhh, in my country, there's a saying when your heart is broken, you get a haircut. LOL. My delulu is Hyunwoo developed feelings for Joy for real.

I'm sad too that Joy didn't have couple pictures with Hyunwoo. Come on they are the main OTP.

I hope we can have more pictures of them together later. Hyunwoo looked really tired and sad. T_T ( while Joy and  Lee Seowon looked happy)

Any subs for last couple BTS? I feel like people abandon this drama so quick. ( sorry for my English if  I used the wrong word)

Or is it just me who is not ready to leave this drama yet? 

I'm moving forward :) 

Was a pleasure to read your thoughts on this drama, I hope I will see some of you again in the future :D 

Nice sweet dramsa ❤ i hope to see crudeplays singer and hia girlfriend in other dramas also. They look good together.. Lee hyun woo can really act, i love that scene when he was crying.. and Joy , i just love her. Very good job as a rookie   she is shining in tjat scene with hyun woo in the park..and her best feature i think is her sad eyes :)

(I wonder what dramas i should watch next)

@KangSoRim Thank you for sharing the information about the photo album!! I really am tempted to buy it.... 

9 hours ago, dhakra said:

I'm moving forward :) 

Was a pleasure to read your thoughts on this drama, I hope I will see some of you again in the future :D 

Hope I'll see you again in another forum in the future! :) I enjoyed reading your thoughts about this drama and reading a different perspective!

As I bid this thread and drama good bye, I would like to say how happy I am to have watched this and with all of you. It was not the perfect drama but for me the good outweighed the bad by a lot more. It was a drama that warmed my heart and I spent much time here on this thread. Some reasons why I loved this drama:

1. The liar / Lee Hyun Woo
I loved Hang Gyul from the start. I loved his evolution. I'm not sure why he was the Liar, he felt pretty darn honest to me. Maybe his honesty may have rubbed people the wrong way. But him a liar, not really. His one and only lie was to SR at the beginning. I loved how he softened and began to open up to those around him. SoRim brought out the best in him. What happened to the band was not his fault if you ask me. But he took responsibility any way. He was indeed their leader. 

Lee Hyun Woo did a great job. His emotions are very spot on. His years of acting was necessary to balance out a cast that was relatively young and  green. For me he carried a lot of the show on his shoulders. I look forward to seeing him in another drama.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdVgi1pgU0grmdIQ5hZSW

2. The lover / Joy
I took note of this drama because of what I saw of her on IG, and it was her beautiful voice, engaging smile plus bubbly personality that brought me here. So Rim is good and pure, and remained that way. It would be a lie if I said I was not annoyed with the way things worked out during the reveal of K. But I will put that aside. I would be very proud of her if she was my daughter.  She chose family / friendship over things that don't last like popularity and instant fame. It might seem like a disney ending in how things worked out for her and Mush & Co, but heck this is drama and I think the message here is to be true to yourself. Joy carried this role well. I know a lot of negative things are often said about K-idols becoming actors but IMHO they won't apply to her.

34197_560.jpg

3. The OST - this along with the Goblin and Tomorrow With You OST will be on my play list for a long time to come.

4. OTP 2 - Love them. They actors that played them were well-matched and I loved the little back story that was revealed. In spite of the little screen time they had, their love story was sweet and well-paced.

5. HG's dad and their relationship. This was another highlight for me. I loved how we saw the baggages they carried at the start were slowly removed as the episodes progressed. I grew up without a dad being present all the time and I understood the issues that HG had with his dad. So I was very happy to see that they were given a second chance in life to properly reconcile as  father and son

6. For me, the most memorable episode and scene was the confession at the bridge. That was one of the best  and most sincere confessions I have heard. Lee Hyun Woo brought home that scene for me.

I could go on but I'll spare you all , kekekeke...

@dhakra I agree with what you said about Yoo, That was one thing I didn't like about the last eps. I did not like her being made the scape goat. She did what she needed to for her company. 

Anyway i leave you all with this, see you lovely folks on another thread.

And finally......Three coincidences make it destiny...

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, ferily said:

@KangSoRim Thank you for sharing the information about the photo album!! I really am tempted to buy it.... 

Hope I'll see you again in another forum in the future! :) I enjoyed reading your thoughts about this drama and reading a different perspective!

3 hours ago, triplem said:

@dhakra I agree with what you said about Yoo, That was one thing I didn't like about the last eps. I did not like her being made the scape goat. She did what she needed to for her company. 

Anyway i leave you all with this, see you lovely folks on another thread.

Great post, loved reading your thoughts like always. :) Yeah, that really was one thing that I didn't like aswell. The other thing that I didn't like was that SY & SH felt like the replacement couple for SR & HG. I mean, they are my "true" OTP and I love SY from the bottom of my heart. She is the real star of the drama, but it felt like they were some kind of compensation for everything they couldn't do with SR & HG. They delivered everything that a "normal" OTP would do, but SR&HG couldn't.

Finally TLAHL came to an end.... Thank you to all you guys who made this drama memorable... Wasn't expecting such good response and love for this drama.. Had a great time reading all your comments...

LHW and Joy really made me love this drama a lot along with the other cast members.. All the characters had something to contribute.. I'll for sure miss our OTP and CP boys... Would love to see these guys coming together in another project...

I'm sure I will meet many of you in other forums.. Till then...............

I came back just to say that whoever did the hairstyling for this drama needs a raise/promotion/some good fame right about now because it's gorgeous.

From Lee HaEun's (SooYeon) braids or space buns, SungJoo's (ShiHyun) red hair to Lee SeoWon's (ChanYoung) ever changing hairstyles (I just wanna run my fingers in those soft floofy looking things! Esp in the last few eps after he got through his butthurt! I don't know what magic happened!) and everyone else's, man, that genius made them hot. 

Even the 1 year later hairstyles rocked for Mush & Co, showing that our babies have grown and yet they're still babies!

I'm still not over this drama! :cold_sweat: In 16 episodes, I've truly been charmed and have grown to love and care for the characters which got extended to the cast playing them. 

I'm still sad about no pictures of Joy and Hyunwoo from the wrap up party. But seeing this video from the mini concert kinda helps me see why:

What's funny is, the camera suddenly shifted its focus to Sungjoo and Yoon (sorry, can't seem to recall his real name) looking at Joy and Hyunwoo and making lovey-dovey gestures in response. Plus when the mini concert ended and the lights went down and Joy started crying, guess who hugged her? Yep, its Hyunwoo! 

Surprisingly too, while Seowoon has been openly mentioning Joy in a lot of interviews (it really looks like he likes her!) -- there's this one translated article that caught my eye. 

"Even when I talkes with other hyungs about Joy, they said that kid is a vitamin. She's a happy virus." Omo! I wonder who's the hyung he talked with? 

As much as I want to see more pics of the OTP, I guess they're being extra careful now especially after we've caught plenty of glimpses at Joy and Hyunwoo's closeness in BTS and the aftermath of the miniconcert. Especially since Hyunwoo is a young actor and Joy is an even younger female idol-actress. While Joy has more fangirls than fanboys, a too-close relationship may adversely affect Hyunwoo's career too as he isn't as big of a leading man yet and it can also turn off Joy's fanboys. 

Anyway, I sincerely loved this drama! And the cast has also charmed me with their personalities and chemistry -- looking forward to more projects for everyone in the drama! 

P.S. Sharing this IG vid, one of my favorite parts of the drama (there are a lot actually)! Actually I'm sharing because I noticed the subs are different and much better at the site this IG account shared it from. I'm thinking of rewatching it there as the subs caught more nuances in the conversation. 

Plus, isn't this scene so cute??? Funnier since Joy is actually from a girl group and can dance really well. 

I've started Ruler: Master of the Mask but TLAHL still have my heart wrapped up in its little finger. 

@joanojousama aww. what a cute post. Wonder if these puppies have feelings for each other. They are definitely being careful since drama ended. 

So basically Hyun Woo hugged Joy after mini concert ended means basically other boys acknowledged that Joy is for Hyun Woo like the drama right? my delulu mind.

Archived