[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

@ck1Oz    At 41:22  I see Soha and her psychic friend talking but not as detailed.

I see "I'm so curious, what the heck is going on why can't I read his fortune?" and Soha tells her to close her shop, what kind of fortune teller can't recognize a real god before her?"

3501.png?w=141&h=150

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Because I hate wasting information when it's just 4 people reading it. Episode 8 at 41:22 " Who are those 2? The Jude Law guy and his friend. Who are they that I can't seem to see their divination sign?"..

Yeom Mi is a fortune teller who derives fortune from the four-pillars (year, month, day and time of birth) plus some other method. Such as throwing rice and interpreting the pattern of the fallen rice. I think in an earlier episode, Yeom Mi throws either rice (or red beans?) in trying to interpret the divination sign. She says she's unable to "extrapolate" the divination sign..

From my end, I think what she said was that she can't read Ha-baek's future.

In reference to the manhwa, there's also someone who can't do that (as quoted from Wikipedia),

Yo Hee

A goddess who is friendly to, and very fond of, Soah, going to the extent of rebuking Habaek for sending her away without warning and going to see her without taking anyone else along.. Although Yo-hee has the ability to see the future, the only fates she cannot see are those of Soah and Habaek.

I do think that Yeon Mi is another character spinoff from Yo Hee :)

1 hour ago, maddymappo said:

@vangsweetie637  I just went back to see the beginning of Ep 1.  The monk is "showing" the little blind girl the world of the gods, where the birds are flying or in that direction, and he tells her about the 3 stones and the little girl asks the obvious question about why would the stones be in the human word.   Could the monk be Soha's father? ( someone else may have proposed this, I am sorry if I don't give a credit where it is due).

Very interesting point. I never thought of it like that. But if he is SA father..who is the blind girl then? I am sure the blind girl called him 'father'. Surely, the blind girl cannot be SA's sister. It wouldn't make sense. But here is another interesting link. The girl with HY is also blind. There must be a reason why both girls are blind :blink:

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Very interesting point. I never thought of it like that. But if he is SA father..who is the blind girl then? I am sure the blind girl called him 'father'. Surely, the blind girl cannot be SA's sister. It wouldn't make sense. But here is another interesting link. The girl with HY is also blind. There must be a reason why both girls are blind :blink:

Oh isn't it the same girl? Maybe "father" like people call a priest "father"  I have to go back and track this little girl more.

UPDATE

@vangsweetie637  The blind girl is the same in both episodes. The blind girl didn't call the monk "father" that I can see.   The monk could be unrelated. Just speculating Soha's father because he takes care of people.  Or, the monk could be the god who is missing?  Lots of possibles.  

I think though, that the Monk could be the Shin who found HY and cared for him. Somehow the greedy Shin's brother could be a devoted monk who gave up possessions  (but not Soha's father). Perhaps that is how HY meets the little blind girl.

@Visually-wandering  I agree, was about to post when I read yours,  about misunderstood motives between parent and child,  for both fathers of SA and HY.    While communication  is usually key, in a way kids and young teens can understand,  I also acknowledge that  it really is a complicated, heart-wrenching decision  that two fathers made for the sake of that child that cannot really be explained in any manner, and probably needed to be kept a secret from them, and  this is why:  

SA's dad adopted many, and largely ignored her, and never told his wife as well.   How do you explain to a child that "I am ignoring you  so you won't be noticed by the gods  as a servant.  Also since the curse includes only one child,  your many dongsaeng are smokescreens.  And oh, your mother will die as part of the curse.  i am severing  ties  so gods will not notice you,  me, and our connection as father-daughter,  I have to go some place far but cannot tell anyone including you so I cannot be found.    Incidentally, your mom currently works and I left most of my meager  funds so you all can eat and survive." 

HY's dad:  how to say. "I am locking you up  here in the realm because I cannot risk you being  found and killed, knowing you are half-breed with fire element.  When I feel you are ready to survive on your own,  you will be banished forever in a place that is hugely different and you can grow up incognito."    The rich adoptive father, who likely has land near SA's (because he is also willing to sell at the present time), could just possibly be destined to care for him?  We can never tell but it is a probability. 

1 hour ago, Visually-wandering said:

Lol, yeah. Watching drama surely made him learn faster. For next ep, when he cornered SoAh while lying on the floor — I think that's from a drama too. I've been thinking what drama did he use for reference? -_- 

I thought I read the translation for Preview ep 9, SoAh said "You're a bad God". Finally she spilled out her feeling. I think she said that because she can't stop her feeling to love him even she knew he'll soon back to his world. And HaBaek keeps giving her hopes, make her even angrier to herself and him. Ouch,...love hurts.

@swagpuppysong aigooo, jist read your post up there. I am 100% with you. HaBaek is getting swoony lately. "I have my reason", geez... How come you've learned to be that obviously—secretive—teasing technique.

@Visually-wandering - Love your post there unni! I guess that explains those tears from So Ah and her pained expression, telling Ha-baek that he's a bad god for messing with her heart but having to leave anyway.. *sobs

Maybe we should have Ha-baek watch 'W' and give him an idea on a number 4 kind of story. Lol.

Also, is it just me? coz I really find Bi Ryeom's smile disarming. Kinda similar with Lee Jong Suk's :D

2 hours ago, swagpuppysong said:

With a gazillion open-ended possibilities and putting them on hold as of the moment til the next show, I'd like to share below some cutesy moments that I really loved in episode 8,

- So Ah's flustered reaction when called "cute" by Ha-baek. Like seriously a woman her age and someone who's putting up a strong-independent-woman front being called cute is romantically out of the line

- Moo ra's concern for Bi ryeom to be banished from the Realm of gods shines a tiny light of hope in the dark tunnel of my shipper's heart. *crosses fingers 

- So Ah listening to Ha-baek's footsteps as he climbs upstairs after visiting her mom. I definitely have to agree with Ha-baek that she's cute.

- Yeon Mi and Nam Soo RI! Should I say more? Lol

- The brightest water fireflies to cheer up So Ah and that loving and lingering look from Ha-baek as he watches her. That. *swoons *faints

- "Let's head home together.." and "I have my reasons". Daebak for Ha-baek! 

..episode 9, huwaiting! :wub:

Awww. You captured scenes that I loved! I also love the part where SA cries after failing to make food for her mom, and HB comes and as he listens to her, he is hurt from her crying too. I thought he was going to cry as well. Lately, he has been doing that. Wanting to cry alongside with her. :wub: and next week we will get more learnings from him since he is an avid drama watcher too hahaha..as some chingus already mentioned lol

@kaoriharang With HY's identity known now, the real question is as you say: Where is JD and why the disappearance? He called them on that very day..the same day HY was casted out. The light HY saw..i thought was the result of Gods fighting with their powers. But it was not. I think JD called them as a diversion to HY being cast out. He didn't want anyone to discover his son. But the question then becomes: Why would BR and MR fight to the point of needing JD to interfere? Haha so much questions. 

I do not have the heart to think HY is a bad guy. I really feel sorry for him and what his parents put him through. To be called a disgrace and monster must have been traumatic to him as a kid. I can understand why he is trying so hard to be human. And am starting to understand why he wants to learn how to be funny. It is because deep inside him, he still feels hurt and even angry at what he had go through. They say laughter is the best medicine. If HY cannot laugh and if he has no sense of humor, his emotions will only continue to be suppressed. He cannot feel happiness. He is not happy. He just wants to live but he is not truly alive. Just like what the elder said to HB. 

The distinct comparison of eternal living vs immortality was very interesting to me. Gods can live forever as long as humans remember them. But they can still be killed by other Gods (maybe). Hence..the reason why many Gods fail at living eternally. 

52 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

Oh isn't it the same girl? Maybe "father" like people call a priest "father"  I have to go back and track this little girl more.

I was wondering if it was the same one too. But the time period wouldn't make sense. Haha..yes we need to track this little girl more :tongue: i feel like she is a huge part of this story. In the preview, it shows that she is behind HY when meeting up with MR and BR at a garden..maybe his home.

52 minutes ago, hazeljrr_c922 said:

@Visually-wandering  I agree, was about to post when I read yours,  about misunderstood motives between parent and child,  for both fathers of SA and HY.    While communication  is usually key, in a way kids and young teens can understand,  I also acknowledge that  it really is a complicated, heart-wrenching decision  that two fathers made for the sake of that child that cannot really be explained in any manner, and probably needed to be kept a secret from them, and  this is why:  

SA's dad ladopted many, and largely ignored her, and never told his wife as well.   How do you explain to a child that "I am ignoring you  so you won't be noticed by the gods  as a servant.  Also since the curse includes only one child,  your many dongsaeng are smokescreens.  And oh, your mother will die as part of the curse.  i am severing  ties  so gods will not notice you,  me, and our connection as father-daughter,  I have to go some place far but cannot tell anyone including you so I cannot be found.    Incidentally, your mom currently works and I left most of my meager  funds so you all can eat and survive." 

HY's dad:  how to say. "I am locking you up  here in the realm because I cannot risk you being  found and killed, knowing you are half-breed with fire element.  When I feel you are ready to survive on your own,  you will be banished forever in a place that is hugely different and you can grow up incognito."    The rich adoptive father, who likely has land near SA's (because he is also willing to sell at the present time), could just possibly be destined to care for him?  We can never tell but it is a probability. 

Hi chingu!

I definitely do not agree with how both fathers approached handling their child. They indirectly and directly hurt both child emotionally and physically. Ad parents, one should not cause such traumatization on their child. But..like you, I also acknowledge how hard it must have been to make that decision. Considering how HY was casted out and SA was abandoned, both fathers had intentions. As I mentioned already, my thought is that HY's father, most likely JD, wants HY to learn how to accept himself. JD could not do it but he will allow his son to do it. Only then will HY be able to embrace his birth and possibly forgive his dad. SA was also left behind. But she too must keep learning how to be strong and accept how things are and understand why her dad left her. Only then can she forgive what her dad did. In the end, these two must learn to forgive. But before doing that, both fathers must come forth to fix the wrongs done to these two otherwise the hurt and anger will always be there. SA said that she ran, not to catch up with her dad but to let him go. HY said that after being locked up for a long time, he was casted out. It is clear that both resent their parents painfully. 

@moella omg!! Those gifs!! :wub: i cannot wait for Monday!

42 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Awww. You captured scenes that I loved! I also love the part where SA cries after failing to make food for her mom, and HB comes and as he listens to her, he is hurt from her crying too. I thought he was going to cry as well. Lately, he has been doing that. Wanting to cry alongside with her. :wub: and next week we will get more learnings from him since he is an avid drama watcher too hahaha..as some chingus already mentioned lol

@kaoriharang With HY's identity known now, the real question is as you say: Where is JD and why the disappearance? He called them on that very day..the same day HY was casted out. The light HY saw..i thought was the result of Gods fighting with their powers. But it was not. I think JD called them as a diversion to HY being cast out. He didn't want anyone to discover his son. But the question then becomes: Why would BR and MR fight to the point of needing JD to interfere? Haha so much questions. 

I do not have the heart to think HY is a bad guy. I really feel sorry for him and what his parents put him through. To be called a disgrace and monster must have been traumatic to him as a kid. I can understand why he is trying so hard to be human. And am starting to understand why he wants to learn how to be funny. It is because deep inside him, he still feels hurt and even angry at what he had go through. They say laughter is the best medicine. If HY cannot laugh and if he has no sense of humor, his emotions will only continue to be suppressed. He cannot feel happiness. He is not happy. He just wants to live but he is not truly alive. Just like what the elder said to HB. 

The distinct comparison of eternal living vs immortality was very interesting to me. Gods can live forever as long as humans remember them. But they can still be killed by other Gods (maybe). Hence..the reason why many Gods fail at living eternally. 

all the otp moments really warmed my heart for sure (: it was so subtle yet you can see how they are naturally getting along and falling in love at the same time (:

But if let say JD called them out why? Because if HY came out of that very portal, all JD had to do was go to the rock field himself and get HY? But the thing is that if it really was JD's son and JD was already in the human realm how would he have manage to kick HY out? or was it that HY escaped? if so, JD could have just gone to the rock field himself to take care of his own business, there was no need to call Mura dn BR to the rock field. If anything you just increase the chances of them finding out you have a demi-god son?

I think there was something else that is what caused JD to call them out, although we are currently in the theory that JD is HY's dad. I am still on the fence about the theory, I don't quite see it. if lets say the blind girl and the monk - blind guy with HY there is a link. then maybe the monk (who is JD) must have entrusted the girl to HY no?

No if anything HY to be is like a living shell, he lives a very empty life from the way I feel. He hides his true self thinking no one would except him and as a result, you live a very fake life. When something is built on really unstable ground, anything strong will topple it. Similarly to HY, the moment that fatal truth got discovered, he started to lose control.

Either that or like the link with humans believing to God's existence and their power. If SA-HB's relationship is an indication of how that works, then it can be said that a god is most powerful when people believe and have faith in them. So perhaps yes God can kill god? but also a god can be rendered completely useless when no one believes/has faith in the them and their ability.

EDIT:

@moella oh my goodness thank you for those gifs! I want someone who looks at me that way. I am excited are we going to get a hug or maybe even a kiss soon?!

the beginning of ep 8 (cave scene) reminded me so much of LOTR: Return of the King, when they showed a flashback of how Gollum found the One Ring. and just like Gollum, Hooye has been given an unnatural long life, though the latter is more through his status of birth. 

I think Hooye's father is the King of Sky Country. And from what Habaek reminded Biryeom regarding the evil act the King of Sky Country did, it could also be the same god who fathered a child with a human. 

Habaek also mentioned Nakbin, which also involved the King of Sky Country (Nakbin and Hooye are siblings in the manhwa). from my understanding of it, Nakbin might have been lured and persuaded by this king to commit something evil against Habaek. I think the meaning of "human foolishness" could be that humans are easily tempted, especially if it involves material promises. this is why the gods have always considered men as weak beings.

I bet it's something to do with finding out Habaek's third name.

i have my doubts on whether Hooye is more powerful than Habaek. which gave me an assurance when Habaek told him whether Hooye's power might actually work against him. water defeats fire, so I can see why Habaek is willing to gamble with Hooye of who's more powerful. And once he becomes king, he'll attain an even greater level of power beyond what he has already. 

which brings me back to Hooye. he has Joodong's earth mark, but he doesn't know who Joodong is.

btw: I don't know if its anything significant but, when Soah switch the chipped cup with Habaek, I feel like she already made her decision...

20 hours ago, kaoriharang said:

I assumed that BR was using the wind to attack HY actually rather than another god. Cause it seem like the wind knocked HY. Like how BR used the car, instead of trying to test him powers. BR could be trying to provoke him without killing him. Since he cant harm humans.

hmmmI thought of that too but was wondering why would he harm SA. I really don't know what HB saw actually...sigh...have to wait till mon. Writer is killing us slowly.

18 hours ago, supergal99 said:

Omy ... @tianaa @mitheone

Supermodel on the runway...heee *nosebleed* 

Spoiler

uRwG9Ci.jpghkGolFK.jpg

@moodypie how about this guy?:blink:

About that guy in the cap...I've thought of that too but again, when he (or whoe ever it was) was looking at SA it was seeing from the direction behind a treee.

I really can't tell anymore...head spinning. 

On 7/26/2017 at 0:19 PM, maddymappo said:

One of the greek gods ate his children. But they kind of stayed alive inside of him The gods are immortal so it would be a little strange but possible, yet, for a korean fantasy rom.com drama, i don't think they will get that bizarre dark.

Another thought.  Who believes in the gods anymore?  The old priest (or whoever he is), told HB the gods are immortal but only exist if they are believed.  So maybe this is all a preface to the gods disappearing from the world.  Maybe Hb loses his god power to understand that his god time is ending and must learn the new ways of mankind. 

Yes!! I love your analysis!! But then at the same time, I am sad if HB lose his power. 

39 minutes ago, LadyIgraine said:

the beginning of ep 8 (cave scene) reminded me so much of LOTR: Return of the King, when they showed a flashback of how Gollum found the One Ring. and just like Gollum, Hooye has been given an unnatural long life, though the latter is more through his status of birth. 

I think Hooye's father is the King of Sky Country. And from what Habaek reminded Biryeom regarding the evil act the King of Sky Country did, it could also be the same god who fathered a child with a human. 

Habaek also mentioned Nakbin, which also involved the King of Sky Country (Nakbin and Hooye are siblings in the manhwa). from my understanding of it, Nakbin might have been lured and persuaded by this king to commit something evil against Habaek. I think the meaning of "human foolishness" could be that humans are easily tempted, especially if it involves material promises. this is why the gods have always considered men as weak beings.

Reveal hidden contents

I bet it's something to do with finding out Habaek's third name.

i have my doubts on whether Hooye is more powerful than Habaek. which gave me an assurance when Habaek told him whether Hooye's power might actually work against him. water defeats fire, so I can see why Habaek is willing to gamble with Hooye of who's more powerful. And once he becomes king, he'll attain an even greater level of power beyond what he has already. 

which brings me back to Hooye. he has Joodong's earth mark, but he doesn't know who Joodong is.

btw: I don't know if its anything significant but, when Soah switch the chipped cup with Habaek, I feel like she already made her decision...

maybe rather than the power of fire perhaps there is something else that makes HY seemingly more powerful? Not sure, I agree water outdoes fire so I also dont know how one can say that base on that, that HY would be stronger. There must be something else about HY. The role of the gods is to keep nature and protect it, fire in itself is a destructive force cause it can wipe out nature. so maybe in that sense? HY is strong?

I like your idea of HY coming from the sky kingdom, right now we dont know if a demi-god receives the powers of the god themselves. Cause if they have the divine element of fire, then where did that fire element come from? So my guess is that all demi-gods so to speak have an inborn element of fire, as for whether they have other powers besides that, it is unclear at this point.

ah I need Monday to come soon!

1 minute ago, junejungki said:

Yes!! I love your analysis!! But then at the same time, I am sad if HB lose his power. 

But now it seems like when Soha has faith in him, he has power - when the fire flies appear, he told her to look in her heart.

I was back reading 3 pages and found interesting analysis from @bebebisous33  @maddymappo @vangsweetie637

I asked the same question as the blind girl and HB. "Why did they leave the God stones in the human world?"

The priest said to HB that he should go to human world and find out himself. There in the human world, he has no power, but has the power to protect/save SA each time when she's in danger. It's interesting how both our OTP are connected through fate and trust. and how both of them are now intertwine with HY/CEO. 

If only we know what happened on that ill fated night, when both MR and BY was fighting, and while JD went to search for the stone. If only HB finds JD soon, my head wont be spinning this much. 

@Mau_Cherry I would love to read your analysis too. I know your mind can go crazy with fantasies like this. hehe. Please tell me why did HB and NSR went bouncing like comet to get to earth when there's the gate of god for them to get to earth from realm of God? 

Gong Myung Praised For His Sophisticated Acting On “Bride Of The Water God”

Gong Myung has been praised for his well-polished acting on the most recent broadcast of “Bride of the Water God.”

Gong-Myung.jpg

During the July 25 episode of the drama, Habaek (Nam Joo Hyuk) told Bi Ryum (Gong Myung) that Hooye (Im Joo Hwan) is half human, half god. Bi Ryum then started revealing his colder, more ruthless side, in stark contrast to the playful and fun character he played in the previous episodes. Gong Myung’s portrayal of a 180-degree attitude change is at once a show of his acting ability as well as an exciting development for viewers.

source: https://www.soompi.com/2017/07/26/gong-myung-praised-sophisticated-acting-bride-water-god/

On 7/26/2017 at 0:19 PM, maddymappo said:

One of the greek gods ate his children. But they kind of stayed alive inside of him The gods are immortal so it would be a little strange but possible, yet, for a korean fantasy rom.com drama, i don't think they will get that bizarre dark.

Another thought.  Who believes in the gods anymore?  The old priest (or whoever he is), told HB the gods are immortal but only exist if they are believed.  So maybe this is all a preface to the gods disappearing from the world.  Maybe Hb loses his god power to understand that his god time is ending and must learn the new ways of mankind. 

People definitely don't connect that much with God these days. Too many interference in the now so call digital era. What we human have and rely on are smartphones, TV, computer etc. (even HB, MR and BY uses the smartphone to contact each other, I would have imagine God has other means of contacting each other lol).

You mentioned ...Would there be a possibility that his god time is ending, and was he sent to human world to find out if he should be the king/emperor of the Realm of God. In ep1, the scenes where HB was talking to the high priest, he did ask if the high priest implied that he could not be the king. and he high priest said "it's impossible unless his fate is twisted".  Why do i feel that HB 's fate was already twisted from the moment he bumped into SA the night he landed in human world. :blink:

Spoiler

JqmFYIj.png1ckiJ4R.png

Archived