[Drama 2017] Ms. Perfect (Perfect Wife) 완벽한 아내

Go Seung Ji

February 26, 2017

"The Perfect Wife" poster unveiled, Ko So-young and Jo Yeo-jung's beauty

Source: Newdaily via Hancinema.net

photo823916.jpg

The poster of the new KBS 2TV drama is out. It features Sim Jae-bok (Ko So-young), Koo Jeong-hee (Yoon Sang-hyeon), Lee Eun-hee (Jo Yeo-jung) and Kang Bong-goo (Seong Joon).

The women have become the 'perfect wives' as they are ordinary housewives who manage to carry out all their duties even after getting off a long day of work.

Jae-bok's husband Jeong-hee looks like he hasn't got a care in the world but that's before he went bankrupt. Will Jae-bok be able to go back to the time when she had everything and was even more radiant than she is now?

Bong-goo, who is a sly one, looks different from the teaser. The four characters are on the poster with different looks on their faces.

Meanwhile, "The Perfect Wife" starts on the 27th of February. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 27, 2017

Re-energized and ready to return
Actress Ko So-young resumed her acting career after a seven-year hiatus after her marriage to actor Jang Dong-gun in 2010

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

26203636.jpg

Actress Ko So-young resumed her acting career after a seven-year hiatus after her marriage to actor Jang Dong-gun in 2010. [KBS MEDIA]

Actress Ko So-young has decided to break her long seven-year hiatus from acting and is making a return to television. The actress previously decided to focus on childcare after marrying fellow actor Jang Dong-gun in 2010, but now she’s back in her first television role in ten years.

The 43-year old actress is starring in the upcoming KBS2 drama “Perfect Wife” in the role of Sim Jae-bok, a middle-aged woman with a tough personality. The character was described as having no luck with money, in a loveless marriage with her husband, and lacking good fortune in general. A recent trailer for the drama featured the character saying, “You really don’t want to do it with me that much?” which later became a trending topic due to the rather shocking line. It gave a preview to the kind of character that Ko would be playing, and the kind of transformation the actor took. 

Ko sat down with Ilgan Sports to discuss her role and the kind of portrayal she wished to deliver.

Below are edited excerpts from the interview.

Ko stars as Sim Jae-bok, a tough woman down on her luck in the upcoming KBS2 drama “Perfect Wife.” [KBS MEDIA]

Q. What caused the delay in your acting career?

A. It felt unfortunate seeing my four-year old firstborn playing alone, so [my husband and I] decided to have a second child. I also felt that a mother should be by the side of her child until they are at least three years old, and I also didn’t have much room to breathe. I did get married at a rather late age, so it was even harder to find people to consult and rely on while raising children. There was also so much for me to learn [about being a mother], so I decided to concentrate on childcare.

26203646.jpg

Is there a reason why you chose “Perfect Wife” to be your comeback?

People like to mention my long hiatus, but I didn’t notice the time passing. I was too occupied with raising my two children. I did receive many offers for various roles in the past, but I lacked the peace of mind. It wasn’t until my firstborn had grown up and my second child was following suit that I felt was the right time, since I also feared I may never be able to go back to my line of work. Since it was my return after a long time gone, I wanted an approachable role rather than something flashy. Also, this drama contains stories that any married person can relate to, and I felt a connection to my character.

Doesn’t your character feel like it does not fit your image?

Recently, I was fascinated with the idea of the girl crush. I also felt the character was characteristically similar to me in the sense that she really isn’t that tough, but rather high-spirited and independent. She thinks for herself and gets things done. I don’t think using the word tough to describe the character is correct. We live in a time when everyone takes good care of themselves even with their busy lives, and there are many smart and sensible housewives out there. Although there are people that say the character does not suit me due to my looks, I think I have to break that stereotype. 

What was the most difficult part of filming?

My character receives a lot of screen time, and it requires me to frequently adjust my emotions from high, medium and low. In addition to that, the drama has many comedic scenes as well. I wondered if it was possible to incorporate humor in situations like where you discover your husband cheating. But as I was acting, I found myself wanting to be funnier. It was an important lesson in learning to control the level of comedy. I hadn’t acted in a long time, so the techniques were blurry (laughs).

Is there a difference to acting after getting married?

There are many differences. I have access to many more emotions than before. It may be due to acquiring more life experience, but I’m able to more easily understand the love of mothers given to their children. My character not only portrays the life of ordinary women in Korea but also invokes a feeling of fantasy. I’m looking forward to portraying my character in the best way possible with my newfound emotional understanding.

How do you want your drama to be critiqued?

Though I do hope the drama becomes popular, I also want to be seen as an actress that delivered a relatable performance. Rather than appealing to the mainstream, I want my acting to be approachable.

What’s next in your career?

I rediscovered my energy after returning to acting. I plan on working it out with my husband so that our children will never be without their mother or father, and there won’t be an instance where I disappear for a long period of time from now on. If the production feels right, I will make another appearance as a better actress in the future.

BY PARK JUNG-SUN [chung.jinhong@joongang.co.kr]

Go So Young as Shim Jae Bok, in "Ms. Perfect" was very impressive. Can't tell that she hasn't acted for 7 - 10 years. Saw her in "Love Wind, Love song with her husband, Jang Dong Gun. She really fits the role as Jae Bok and already see a lot of chemistry between her and her lawyer boss, Bong Goo, played by Sung Joon. 

The first episode was funny, yet mysterious. JB strikes me as a very independent woman, who has to be the breadwinner of the family since her husband is seen as a person with no ambition. He works in the sales department of a company but has such a poor performance that his boss, YB continues to belittle him in front of his coworkers. Apparently his ambition was to be coming a popular singer in college but we haven't found out the reason as to why it never materialized. We find him cheating on JB with a Na Mi, his coworker , who seem to have an ulterior motive for seducing him. I'm sure we will find out in the future episodes. She's killed off in episode 1.

A mysterious woman, Eun Hee, wants to rent out this huge, beautiful home to Jae Bok, and her family, but we don't know what her intentions are. Don't know whether she intends to harm JB and her family? 

I really liked the storyline and also wanted to watch this drama because of Go So Young. She is a very talented actress and also very beautiful. She has an aura about her that draws you to her character. Look forward to more of her acting in future episodes. Her girl friends are quite hilarious. One is a Professor and the other a fitness instructor. The trio also has great chemistry between them.

@Go Seung Ji Thank you for creating this thread. After watching episode 1 , am definitely hooked! 

Just finished watchin' first ep. of Ms. Perfect, I like it. Ko Soyoung portrays the typical Mom tryin' to strike a balance between career and family. Her bickering scenes with Sungjoon is a hoot to watch! BTW Sungjoon is lookin' mighty f i i n e e:wub:

Semi & Sanghyun coincidentally were co-stars from Shopaholic Louis. Can't figure out what Yeojung's character is yet but she does seem...intriguing... 

[SPOILERS] PERFECT WIFE (PILOT)
Spoiler

201702272142546728_1_99_20170227230607.jpg

perfectwife.png

Naver - Mydaily: 'Perfect Wife' First Episode, Ko So Young, witnessed her husband Yun Sang-hyun's affair

1. [+2499, -106] It seems like Yoon Sang-Hyun has a good eye for choosing his work. I Can Hear Your Voice, Queen of Housewives, Shopping King Louis, Secret Garden, etc.

2. [+2622, -180] Ko So Young's acting was better than i expected, and Yoon Sang Hyun has chosen a good work again.

3. [+2036, -141] Why is Cho Yeo Jeong so pretty? I was surprised ㅋㅋ Personally i like seeing Shopping King Louis's cast

4. [+1701, -196] Ko So Young's acting was good

5. [+571, -49] Didn't I tell you? When Yoon Sang-hyun comes out, the drama will hit big. He has the advantage of saving this one, He is really a good actor

6. [+407, -18] Oh~ I really believed Yoon Sang Hyun's acting as a loser ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

7. [+410, -29] Before marriage, when a scene of affairs comes out i just watch it but after marriage i become more immersed...If you look at it with your own eyes, you probably won't be able to live with it after that...

8. [+423, -40] Everybody is good at acting but the content of the affair is disgusting...I don't like affairs...ㅠㅠ I like a bright and a little warm love...

9. [+270, -16] While i was changing the channel, i saw Ko So Young lying down and Yoon Sang Hyun kissing her. Honestly, i thought Yoon Sang Hyun looks like a grandfather  ㅋㅋㅋMaybe because of his face or when his lying down but he really looks like a grandfather ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Why is he so funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Spoiler

0000707059_001_20170227230213111.jpg

Naver - Xports News'Perfect Wife' First Episode, Ko So Young, A perfect return as an Ajumma

1. [+300, -39] Ko So Young was not awkward at all and she was natural and cute

2. [+243, -31] This was fun more than i expected ㅎ So Young is still pretty, Her acting and tone voice is more stable than before, I can see that she is working really hard ㅎ Fighting!

3. [+156, -18] I hope Cho Yeo Jeong-si hits daebal::: She looks totally like a doll

4. [+208, -37] Ko So Young's acting and expression was really good, I will make sure to watch the broadcast for episode 2

5. [+115, -24] It's fun

6. [+58, -13] Maybe because she was working hard all the time or She is getting old, but she looks more pretty

7. [+51, -12] Actress Ko So Young~~ I will always cheer for you~~

8. [+50, -12] Only Ko So Young's acting was natural~~ Her beauty is not going anywhere^^

9. [+40, -11] I liked So Young Unnie during my school days but now she became a lady.^^ Today i had fun watching this. Fighting!♡♡♡

10. [+22, -5] It's better than i expected, The acting has improved a lot.

Spoiler

0000948815_001_20170227231110516.jpg

Naver - tv Report: 'Perfect Wife' Ko So Young, Yoon Sang Hyun X Im Se Mi's affair...

1. [+179, -11] Ko So Young's acting was better than i expected and this is was really fun!!! I feel there are alot of hidden things so i'm really curious about!ㅎㅎ

2. [+176, -12] After 10 years, she came back with a good acting~~ The story is fun

3. [+149, -9] Ko So Young's acting was really good and she looks so beautiful

4. [+130, -8] Good acting ^^

5. [+83, -8] I liked Ko So Young's acting! It's nice to see the annual rings piled up

6. [+48, -6] I was waiting for Ko So Young's comeback, It's really good to see her! I enjoyed watching the drama~ See you again tomorrow ㅎ

7. [+52, -8] I was looking forward to see Ko So Young's acting after 10 years~^^

8. [+47, -7] Ko So Young's comeback after 10 years, Her acting wasn't awkward but it was really good and the drama is really fun~~

9. [+36, -4] Ko So Young Congratulations on your perfect return. She is still pretty and her acting was really good

cr

I was watching hoping to expect more, especially from these actors. Actors weren't the problem, the show is written kind of like a "farce". Boring, bad, predictable. Did not make it even through episode 1. Sorry, won't be watching. I've become very picky about what I spend my time on, less and less that interests me, I guess....

To be honest I wasn't expecting anything from this drama, not even in my "see this" list. But, the premiere day I've downloaded the first episode, I've seen it, and I must say that this series is way more than I've expected. It's more darkish & intriguing.

Definitely something that is worth more than a look. Having seen the first two episodes, I have been wanting to see more, I got totally hooked!!

Also, here's Dramabeans recap:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/02/perfect-wife-episode-1/

1 minute ago, cafe99 said:

To be honest I wasn't expecting anything from this drama, not even in my "see this" list. But, the premiere day I've downloaded the first episode, I've seen it, and I must say that this series is way more than I've expected. It's more darkish & intriguing, Definitely something that is worth more than a look. Having seen the first two episodes, I have been wanting to see more, I got totally hooked!!

Also, here's DB recap:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/02/perfect-wife-episode-1/

I agree @cafe99, I'm really interested in why this rich women is so interested in her and the children.. First I thought she may have had a crush on the husband or dated him in her younger days but this is really weird to me..I was thinking maybe after she divorce jerk husband will she hook up with him to snatch the kids away from her..  I want answers to so many question like what was the mistress was going to tell her I know it had something to do with the lawyer and was she paid to bust up that marriage.. This drama is full of mystery..   

Watched both episodes. I like the female lead and her friendship with her bff. I love that she did not allow her mil to talk her down.I like that her best friend told her about her cheating husband and I like that instead of the usual asking the husband and believing his lies, she checked it herself. Am enjoying the comedy with the undercurrent theme of suspense in this drama.  Looking forward to ep3 and 4 next week. 

@sava2sava Hi there! Glad that you like this drama too. It was my thoughts also that EH, our mysterious lady, had a crush on JH, JB's husband when they were in college, and he rejected her(rich girl) for JB----so now she wants revenge and wants to take JH and the kids away from from JB. BTW, who's that lady that's working with NM, JH's girl friend. Looks like she's the one that told NM to go after JH? What do you think is going on with JH's boss Young Bae? We know he's faking his injuries but why was BG's phone stolen by this mysterious guy in black?

@Latte_Anyday It this your favorite coffee drink? It is mine too. Love my Starbucks latte warm and also iced caramel macchiato with soy milk. I also cannot wait for the romance between JB and BG. They have so much chemistry together! Love the way he looks at her! 

@0ly40 Thanks again for you posted preview. Always a welcomed sight!

I must also mention how I love the "girl romance"? Between JB, HY(fitness instructor) and WJ(professor) . They are always there for her knowing what she's going through with her cheating husband, who is also a slacker, and depending on JB to support the family. I know he loves his children but something about him gives me an uncomfortable feeling. He's willing to cheat on JB, but when he and NM are confronted by JB, he denies everything and asks for her forgiveness? So in other words, "HE WANTS HIS CAKE and EAT IT TOO"!

So mysterious, this drama and can't wait until JB and the family moves in with EH. She has already started redecorating expecting her new tenants to move in.

2 hours ago, Mailelei said:

It was my thoughts also that EH, our mysterious lady, had a crush on JH, JB's husband when they were in college, and he rejected her(rich girl) for JB----so now she wants revenge and wants to take JH and the kids away from from JB.

OMG, this definitely makes more sense and it's more realistic, it's quite possible that this is her real motif. 

About EH, I thought she was a psychopath who was obsessed with "having" a perfect family, but actually not being part of it, more like owning it/ taking possession of them as if they were objects. And then having them (her perfect family) in her house (like a human fish tank) just like the fish she (EH) has in her house.

Also, I haaaaate the husband, JB should/must divorce him asap, and get togerher with the young lawyer (BG)

8 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Wah I can't believe Jaebok's MIL actually condoned her son's indiscretions<_< that all men cheat and that it was because he was popular with the ladies! OMG seriously?!??!!:angry:

Looking forward to Jaebok and Bonggoo's blossoming "Noona Romance"

@Latte_Anyday  But I how she stood up to her by telling allowing her husband to do it what did it get her.. Nothing his dad has move on to another woman.. For the first time I thought we finally have a female not taking the MIL crap and laying it on the line to her she even had the nerve to belittle her job by telling her that lil money she's making is nothing not more then her son again she had to remind that MIL just what that LIl money did for her son.. So yes this MIL don't have a leg to stand on up against this DIL and I love she fights back.. I'm hoping she uses her own advice and use the hubby and mistress as her walking ATM machine..  But I'm still skeptical on the other lady actions and what is it that mistress wanted to tell her.. Is it that the so called rich lady set all of this up and why.. She seems to have a past with JB hubby so I'm guessing.. I think were in for so fun with this drama and hoping it's get your goodies and sit down and watch whats next..

3 hours ago, Mailelei said:

Hi there! Glad that you like this drama too. It was my thoughts also that EH, our mysterious lady, had a crush on JH, JB's husband when they were in college, and he rejected her(rich girl) for JB----so now she wants revenge and wants to take JH and the kids away from from JB. BTW, who's that lady that's working with NM, JH's girl friend. Looks like she's the one that told NM to go after JH? What do you think is going on with JH's boss Young Bae? We know he's faking his injuries but why was BG's phone stolen by this mysterious guy in black?

@Mailelei  This is pretty much how I had summed it up to. I was thinking that she had a onesided crush on him during his college days but he marries someone else and maybe so did she but she never forgot him and still has this crush on him.. I think maybe if she did marry she learned she couldn't have children and set out to take him back right along with his kids..

The man in black is a mystery to me but maybe we'll learn more about him next week.

DRAMA RECAPS

Perfect Wife: Episode 2

by LollyPip | March 1, 2017 | 10 Comments

cJ6RXKd.jpg

The plot thickens! While Jae-bok is dealing with the very distressing but ultimately ordinary problems of a cheating spouse, clues and mysteries loom in the near distance. She’s unaware of some of the strange people and events that seem to be guiding her family into this situation, but it’s becoming clear that someone out there is carefully orchestrating everything. It’s almost as if someone wants to break up Jae-bok’s marriage — but why?

EPISODE 2 RECAP

Jae-bok lets herself into Na-mi’s apartment and finds pictures of her with her husband, Jung-hee. Before she even has time to process that her husband is having an affair, she hears the two lovebirds entering the room and hides in the closet. She witnesses them getting all cuddly, then Jung-hee goes outside to take a call.

While Jung-hee is out of the room, Na-mi opens the closet door and finds Jae-bok hiding there. They both scream, then Na-mi recognizes Jae-bok as Jung-hee’s wife. She starts to call out to Jung-hee, but Jae-bok claps a hand over her mouth and tells her to shush.

Jung-hee is ordered back to the office for losing a potential client, and he calls out to Na-mi. With Jae-bok glaring at her, Na-mi says everything is fine, and when she tries to follow him, Jae-bok holds her back. She asks Na-mi if she’s dating her husband, and Na-mi defiantly confirms it.

Jae-bok lets go of her arm in surprise, and Na-mi makes a run for it. Jae-bok chases her down the street, and she manages to grab a handful of Na-mi’s long hair. Na-mi breaks free, leaving a hank of her hair in Jae-bok’s fist, and escapes on a bus.

Jae-bok shuffles home in a daze, and her best friends Hye-ran and Won-jae find her on the street. They can tell what’s happened by the hair Jae-bok is still clutching, and they offer her a ride home. But she declines, saying that she’s embarrassed and wants to be alone.

read more: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/03/perfect-wife-episode-2/

@Mailelei Either that or I ran out of ideas in coming up with a name LoL! But yea (ding ding ding) Latte is my fave drink so bonus points for you:wink: I enjoy Starbucks on occasion but they can get a tad too sweet for my taste<_< Back to topic at hand, I notice Sungjoon has better chemistry with older women, I loved him in I Need Romance.

@sava2sava IKR? I applaud Jaebok for standing up to her MIL. Usually the DIL would cower in fear and apologize profusely...so it was refreshing to see Jaebok stand her ground.

I LoL when she told the policeman she was OK in letting her loser husband spend the night in lockup HA:lol:<_<

Archived