[Drama 2017] Ms. Perfect (Perfect Wife) 완벽한 아내

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 11, 2017

Ko So-young Returns to TV with a More Common Touch

By Choi Soo-hyun The Chosun Ilbo

Actress Ko So-young returns with a new TV series late this month, after taking a 10-year hiatus from acting.

In the TV series set to begin airing on Feb. 27, Ko plays a housewife who struggles to overcome hardship. Known for playing mostly elegant, sophisticated roles, her decision to appear as an ordinary middle-aged housewife has already received much attention.

"While I was considering whether to make an acting comeback I was offered glamorous parts and roles. But I wanted to take on a role viewers can easily relate to. In reality, I'm very easygoing -- and I actually am a housewife in my mid-40s," she said.

2017021100372_0.jpg

Ko, a teen star in the late 1990s, took a break to focus on homemaking after her marriage to fellow actor Jang Dong-gun, with whom she has a 7-year-old son and a 3-year-old daughter.

In the meantime, Ko's on-screen appearances have been limited to advertisements and pictorials, but she has never been entirely out of the public eye, starting a fashion brand, among other projects.

"I've been busy raising children. It was difficult, as I married late and there were few people from whom I could seek advice on childcare. My kids have grown up a bit, so I decided to resume my career before it got too late," Ko said. "Returning to the set after so many years, I felt fresh and full of energy."

Ko's married life with one of the most popular heartthrobs of the 1990s is a topic the public never seems to tire of. "We fought a lot at first. But we've learned to get along with each other well," she said. "My husband is taking a break these days, so he's taking care of the children."

"I think that often fans only get to see the glamorous side of an actress, so I hope to get closer to viewers with this more commonplace character," she said. 

February 13, 2017

Ko So-young in 'The Perfect Wife'

This photo of actress Ko So-young when she was a college student was released on Feb. 13, 2017, by public broadcaster KBS. Ko stars in the new KBS 2TV drama "The Perfect Wife," a comedy-mystery drama about a housewife waging war on a life which guarantees her neither money nor love. (Yonhap) (END) 

Annyeong everyone :)

I'm glad to find this thread and will definitely watch this drama because I love Sung Joon. I have never watched Go So Young's dramas before and since I like Jang Dong Gun, I want to watch his wife's acting too. Also I like Jo Yeo Jung and Yoon Sang Hyung too. So will be looking forward to this new drama after Hwarang.

Hi there! I just found this thread and definitely looking forward to it. I really like both lead males, but on the other hand I know the lead females, bit never seen them acting, but the story sounds pretty good. This role of Sungjoon remindes me that in High Society and I share your opinions that Sungjoon always gets older females (except Uee). I cannot wait! 

16583797_306032949815316_548900106078781

16464556_741807922664908_507341748260621

16585680_1253413168086052_71558945714932

14716607_255373558221961_858747585636702

Spoiler

16465162_1112559205534125_42708223298916

16583245_1016295511848097_34295190592998

16465787_1385627331489154_16948421127359

cr. instagram

February 22, 2017

Actress Ko So-young (L) is seen in this photo to promote the new KBS 2TV drama "The Perfect Wife," a comedy-mystery drama about a housewife waging war on a life that guarantees her neither money nor love. The photo was released by the public broadcaster on Feb. 22, 2017. Actress Jo Yeo-jeong is on the right. (Yonhap) (END)

February 23, 2017

Actress Ko So-young tries normalcy, breaks from elegant image in 'Ms. Perfect'

SEOUL, Feb. 23 (Yonhap) -- Actress Ko So-young said Thursday she wanted to get closer with the public by trying out the role of an ordinary middle-aged wife in her new television show "Ms. Perfect."

"It was regrettable that people had a preconceived notion of me. I saw a lot of common traits found in Jae-bok (Ko's character) and myself," Ko said at a media event for her new TV series held at Time Square mall in western Seoul.

"Also with my homemaking experience I thought I could relate to the character and wanted to approach the public more comfortably."

This composite photo captured from a highlight reel of "Ms. Perfect" shows lead star Ko So-young playing her character Shim Jae-bok. (Yonhap)

This composite photo captured from a highlight reel of "Ms. Perfect" shows lead star Ko So-young playing her character Shim Jae-bok. (Yonhap)

Through the new KBS 2TV series, Ko makes a return to television for the first time in 10 years. Ko took a break from acting to focus on taking care of her family after marrying actor Jang Dong-geun and having two kids.

In the Monday-Tuesday late night series, Ko plays Shim Jae-bok, an obnoxious but energetic, diligent working mom and wife who endures the slog to make ends meet. After becoming a tenant at a house owned by a mysterious woman named Lee Eun-hee, Jae-bok becomes involved an unexpected incident.

The former teen star is known largely for playing mostly sophisticated roles. Her attempt at an "ajumma," or middle-aged woman, has received much attention by the media. Yoon Sang-hyun plays Jae-bok's mama's boy-like husband Koo Jong-hee and actress Cho Yeo-jung plays Jae-bok's mysterious land lord.

The 44-year-old Ko said she decided to return to acting because she felt "it would be difficult to ever act again if she delayed her comeback" and want to show viewers that she's just as ordinary as the rest of us.

"I always thought it was strange that people saw me differently. Everyone's the same, right? I want to show that I also am similar to others," said Ko, who explained that her experience of raising two kids at home helped her performance in the show.

Yoon Sang-hyun said he enjoys playing a couple with Ko, while often finding himself dumbfounded.

"Its fun playing a husband and wife with Ko. Watching a star I adored in my dreams playing an ajumma right next to me makes me wonder 'Is that really Ko So-young?'"

The land lord Lee Eun-hee character played by Cho Yeo-jung is apparently a key figure in the plot's mystery.

"My character is nice at first. But I think people who play too nice in fact have cruel intentions on the inside. She is at the center of Jae-bok's life and I wanted to play this woman," Cho said, stopping short of spoiling the show.

Hong Seok-koo, director of the show, promised that the series will be different from similar ajumma comedy dramas in the past.

"The show has a strong genre identity different from generic human comedy dramas. The work traverses across the comedy, mystery and human drama genres," Hong said.

The director also said he wanted to play with viewers' expectations and surprise them by casting the usually-elegant Ko in a wild and tough ajumma role.

"I thought an element of surprise could come out when an actor plays a role that is considered unusual for him or her. I thought it could stir up a sense of curiosity among viewers."

"Ms. Perfect" is set to premiere on Feb. 27.

Promotional image for "Ms. Perfect" provided by KBS 2TV (Yonhap)

Promotional image for "Ms. Perfect" provided by KBS 2TV (Yonhap)

odissy@yna.co.kr

Archived