[Drama 2017] Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People 역적: 백성을 훔친 도적

Go Seung Ji

I loved the episodes this week, specially ep 16. Although it irritates me that the sibilings have not run into each other yet.

I have a big imagination so I have a theory: Gil Dong and Ga Ryung will marry and then Gil Dong will get "killed". Therefore Ga Ryung will take revenge on the King. Sometime after Gil Dong will comeback and help Ga Ryung.

I thought about this after going back and  reading the synopsis that Ga Ryung was a widow and wanted to take revenge on the King. Also there are pictures of her in a gisaeng dress.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ep.16 thoughts:

- Ooooh, kissing. Finally. :wub:

- Is Teacher Song a good guy? I'm sad to say - I think no.

He's not a dirty and corrupt person like Prince Choong Won. But he's definitely one of those people who think the division between noblemen and commoners is absolute. He does not believe in the equality of human beings, which is what our hero will be (eventually?) fighting for.

Poor Gil Hyun is in for a disillusioning. He's going to figure out that the king is obsessed with avenging his mom, and his teacher is basically a "nobleman supremacist." But that's okay, that's when he will finally meet the Hong Gang again. (But I don't know how many more fake-outs I can take.)

This ep. was kind of filler, but I really love the songs on this show, so it was okay.

Looking forward to next week!

Now that Ga ryung and Gil Dong are together...it makes me look back to episode 1.  We saw Gil dong shooting an arrow at Ga Ryung.  Is that just to trick the king?  Pretty sure Nok Su will be the key in Gil Dong and Ri Ni's reunion.  She stills holds that piece of cloth that her brother gave her and Nok Su is familiar with the other half of that cloth.

After watching episode 16 it seems to me that this arc is going to show the downfall of the Hong clan and rise in power of the baddies, so be prepared. By then the family may be reunited and it is going force a change in the Hong clan/  What I have noticed so far about Gil Dong is that his strength is affected by catastrophes in his life as a child it was his mother's death and his dad's suffering etc. that made his powers regress; then it was the loss of his family and strong urge to protect them from Choong Won that returned his strength, the next is another serious tragedy more likely near death is going to force another change.  The Hong clan is likely to (i) reunite with Gil Hyun and Eorini (ii) will be betrayed by the king  & his minions who backed Gil Dong and took advantage of them (iii) will lose to Choong Won, Mori, Madam Jo and Scholar Song (iv) will lose key family member/s.  As such they will turn their backs on the king and become the biggest thief by stealing the people due to the huge suffering under the tyrant king's rule. King Yeongsungnan is going to become worse, as well as Nok Soo after the loss Gil Dong will redirect his strengths from being a thug to being a rebel for the people.  In order for all that to happen the Hong clan has to lose big a second time, the shaman's disappointment and Amogae's words will have a stronger impact on Gil Dong in the future.  To be the true Mighty one, I get the impression that Gil Dong does not care much for being a so called thug but in order to rise to some form of respectability and power he has to be a thug for the moment. Plus it was necessary when they had to retaliate against Choong Won being decent won't cut it as the laws protected the so called nobles and royalty a lot. Gil Dong despite his promise to his father to protect the clan by staying alive does not have much clue as to his true purpose.

If they make Ga Ryung a widow and then a concubine out for revenge the only reason that comes to mind is the fact that Gil Dong is "dead", hence her retaliation.  That girl loves Gil Dong a lot cannot imagine her being married to another man.  I do like their sweet moments and how Ga Ryung made Gil Dong speak out his feelings in that he is scared and does not want her to be in pain that is why he has been rejecting her but the thought of her actually leaving him changed that somewhat.  Are we going to get more happy moments and a marriage with the OTP before the fall?

When I watched and listened to Choong Won, Scholar Song and other so called nobles/royalty, Madam Jo talk I realized something that the laws & culture in the country of that time which later led to its fall centuries later is the fact that the nobles actually got full diplomatic immunity in their own country to be immoral, abusive, bully & terrorize the regular people of the country who made up the majority, but be responsible in their care of the commoner.  It later created this strong classism culture that nobles/royals are of the highest quality while those below are just garbage or climbers who are meant to serve the highest quality their reward for this loyalty is to take all the garbage given to them and not retaliate/ respond this shows fortitude and respect of the betters.  Gil Dong and the Hong clan as a result is going to retaliate as they have always fought against the status quo so this is nothing to them its just that they are going to get more people/supporters along the way

I am in no way familiar with Confucianism but in a way the way it is portrayed and abused by certain people to their own benefit especially in terms of class etc. by the nobles give one a very negative view of that philosophy.  This is a fact and a known constant in dramas.  As such I am not a fan of it particularly on the very chauvinism, imbalance & sexism aspects in the philosophy which is still applied today (got some info on it years ago, when reading that section, it was not good).  I am sure that Confucianism has some decent principles but nothing about it has impressed me enough to wanting me to look into it further.  To each his own.

That's my take on the upcoming episodes which should be roughly 6-8 episodes, I so hope that the brothers will be reunited soon as Gil Hyun does not know that Choong Won has been released, Mori knows his true identity and Eorini is hard to find.  It is likely to be Nok Soo that will recognize Eorini through the ribbon, however there is the ambitious young maid who is likely to cause trouble.

Gone for now

DRAMA RECAPS

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People: Episode 16

s7klkML.jpg

I can feel it, we’re on the cusp of something big—the events of this episode had me experiencing chilling déjà vu moments that reminded me of the beginning of Amogae’s downfall, except on a much larger scale. We’re no longer in the small backwater town of Ikhwari now that our heroes are running the black market trade in the capital city of Hanyang. And some major social change is about to go down that will change how all the people in Joseon feel about their government and their king, which will have a fundamental impact on their lives.

EPISODE 16 RECAP

Four years later, Eorini walks in a row of palace maids, but which one is she? There are two girls that the camera focuses on, both looking intelligent and at the right age to be Gil-dong’s baby sister. Gil-dong oversees his beautiful property as Ilchung asks if he’s ready for their reunion day with all the other Hong brothers. Soboori, Yonggae, Keutsae, Eop-san, and Segul all arrive in various states of luxurious dress, looking happy to see each other. After they enter the gate, they greet Gil-dong with half-cheeky, half-respectful bows as “The Great Elder.” When Ga-ryung comes out from a side door, they say hello to her with fondness.

Yeonsangun feeds his golden eagle scraps of meat as he listens to a man’s thanks—it’s Scholar Song, who has come to bow to the king for interceding on behalf of Choongwongoon. It seems that Yeonsangun has released Choongwongoon from his state of house arrest and shunned exile. The former royal is outside, not a part of this conversation but in front of the palace gates, bowing four times for forgiveness with a completely changed aura in his eyes. Inside, Yeonsangun warns Scholar Song that although his father may have relied upon the scholar, he is not the same, and he subtly hints that it may take some effort to come into his inner circle. Mori stands by Choongwongoon’s side as he completes his bows.

Spoiler

Later, when Scholar Song and Choongwongoon talk, the former royal profusely thanks the scholar for being his salvation. Then they talk about his future plans now that he has been released. Scholar Song tells Choongwongoon that it is the fervor of young men, especially young noblemen, that is the most powerful thing in Joseon. He knows that Choongwongoon still burns with anger toward the peasants who framed him and got him into this state. So, Scholar Song goes on to say that even without planning his revenge, Choongwongoon can achieve it just by wielding that power.

Starting the next day, Choongwongoon and Scholar Song begin their campaign to influence the country’s youth. Scholar Song preaches in the streets to commoners and noblemen alike about how there is a natural hierarchy that must be followed: between child and parent, and between peasants and noblemen. If this hierarchy is breached, then chaos will reign, because order has been disrupted. Mistress Jo looks engrossed in his teachings as he continues to spout his passionate ravings about how the order of the world will collapse if they do not adhere to a strict hierarchy.

Back at Bandit HQ, after they finish a meal together, everyone gives Ga-ryung storybooks as gifts. As a return present, she says she’ll tell them one of her stories, but all the Amogae Avengers try to stop her, wincing as she goes to retrieve her storybook despite their protests. And once she begins reading, everyone at the feast table falls fast asleep except for Gil-dong. She’s reading a typical love story, and he smiles at her, completely enthralled, while Soboori watches their cute dynamic from the corner of his eye and smiles. Ilchung brings the case of Kang Tae-sung to Gil-dong’s attention, since the man is a scholar from a middling noble family. He loves his half-brother who was born to another mother, a concubine/gisaeng. The brother was bullied in school because of his lesser social stature and became paralyzed because of the other people’s cruel violence against him.

So Kang Tae-sung piggybacks his brother every day to school, and he requests that Gil-dong get revenge on behalf of his brother at their meeting. After paying proper respect to “The Great Elder,” Kang Tae-sung is granted his wish when Gil-dong orders Keutsae to take care of it. Later, when Kang Tae-sung and his brother are about to be heckled by bully scholars again, Keutsae, who has been watching, follows the bullies and beats them up. Kang Tae-sung presents a box full of silver to Gil-dong as thanks, but Gil-dong refuses. With an expression of intense anger, Gil-dong says that he hates people like Kang Tae-sung more than the people that beat his brother up because he isn’t man enough to do anything but complain and cry himself.

Soboori approaches Gil-dong about a marriage offer that has come in for Ga-ryung. Although he doesn’t seem too pleased, he agrees to see the suitor, and when he views the man from afar, Ilchung comments that the man is very handsome, with a straight nose, clear skin, and tall stature. To top it all off, he is rumored to be a hard worker. Gil-dong nitpicks every detail, saying that the nose is too big, he has clearer skin, and to be called tall, the suitor must be at least his height. With a knowing click of the tongue, Ilchung remarks that at this rate, Ga-ryung will never get married.

Read more:: http://www.dramabean...ple-episode-16/

The teacher has a delusion of grandeur, and he has managed to find people who, though being intelligent to whatever extent, are still brainless. I'm looking forward to Gil Hyun becoming disappointed in what he thought was right. Not a fan of the fact that he's in the secret police, yet maybe that's a way for him to get in touch with reality and not be so blinded by establishing the king's dignity.

I wish the drama would progress a bit differently, as in I often feel like we're moving forward without actually doing so. There's some development, but at the same time there's none. I do still enjoy the cinematography, the characters, and the music.

Also, I would hope for Yoon Gyunsang to have a wider range of emotions, unless that's how he understands the role of Gil Dong. There are times when he lacks warmth when needed; there are times when he looks like he doesn't care when he should. All in all, I don't know if it's the writing, but now I'm having a hard time believing that this Gil Dong is the legend. 

(Will someone tell the Prince and Madame Jo just go and take a hike? <_<)

Actor takes best memories from 'Rebel'

By Park Jin-hai

The half-mark episode of "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People," MBC's 30-part period drama, starring veteran actor Kim Sang-joong and Yoon Kyun-sang, aired this week. Telling the story of Hong Gil-dong, a popular Korean literary figure based on a real life Joseon-era person, during the violent time-period, the Monday-Tuesday drama has enjoyed a steady rise in viewership ratings and positive reviews from viewers and critics.

A solid plot, great performances of all cast members and the production staff's efforts have been acknowledged for its success. But, if one should name just one critical element that made all this, no one would deny it was actor Kim Sang-joong, who played the role of Amogae, Hong's father and a greedy nobleman's slave.

By portraying a slave named Amogae, which literally means nobody, the 51-year-old veteran actor emotionally identified with the character who lives a miserable life, deeply touching hearts of viewers with his acting.

With the 14th episode, Kim leaves the drama as Amogae dies in peace after he and his son see the demise of their archenemies who destroyed his family.

Actor Kim, who says he is still living with the memories of Amogae after his part ended, said his role gained viewers' strong support because people could easily identify with him in this role.

"Amogae is a character like air ― we live in it but take it for granted. Being a part of an everyday picture as a father, husband and a family head, people forget about the importance of his being. But, through the drama, people are reminded of what the roles of a father, husband and family head have been," said Kim during an interview at MBC's headquarters in Seoul, Monday.

Amogae worked his fingers to the bone for his master but the only return he had for his life-time of service was his wife's death at the hands of his master, who wanted to take away the wealth Amogae secretly accrued to buy his family's freedom.

He takes revenge by killing his master and starts a new life dreaming of an ideal world where there is no discrimination based on who they are at birth. His son Gil-dong, with inhuman strength, becomes Joseon's first revolutionary and political dissident, winning the hearts of the public.

Kim said he paid every effort to each scene. But one of the most memorable scenes was Amogae walking out of his masters' room, after beheading him with a sickle. "The script states that Amogae's face after cutting his master's head was as white as a piece of paper. It made me think a lot. It should include all the emotions of satisfaction from revenge, sadness for his wife's death, emptiness and loneliness," he said. "When I saw the outcome, I thought that my facial expressions were very much satisfactory."

Kim, who mostly played roles of kings and people in power in his long career as well as hosting an investigative documentary program, said he was initially worried that people might find him playing the role as unnatural and foreign. "After discussions with the director I ruffled my hair and made my traditional Korean costume and hands dirty. It was almost the first time I wore stage makeup on my whole body," he said. "Through the drama, I felt catharsis as an actor, pouring out all that I could to express Amogae."

Asked about the he remembers best, Kim said his conversation with his son was most memorable. "Amogae says ‘Those people are rotten. Because they smell bad, they side with each other to hide the bad smell.' I thought the line was very timely," Kim said.

Kim Jin-man, director of "Rebel" said that the ultimate message he wants to deliver through the drama is philanthropy. "One message that penetrates throughout the period drama is Amogae's spirit _ love for all humanity. It will be manifested through Amogae's son Gil-dong in the latter half of the 30-part drama," said the director.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2017/03/688_226129.html

It seems @chasen8888might be spot on with the next story arc of Rebel.  Based on the new stills Ga Ryung and Gil Dong get married.  I love how the Hong clan is peaking thru their honeymoon. LOL.  When I read the character description of Ga Ryung it never dawned on me that she could possibly be the widow of Gil Dong.  I need an explanation for episode 1 fast!

2 minutes ago, honeywell said:

It seems @chasen8888might be spot on with the next story arc of Rebel.  Based on the new stills Ga Ryung and Gil Dong get married.  I love how the Hong clan is peaking thru their honeymoon. LOL.  When I read the character description of Ga Ryung it never dawned on me that she could possibly be the widow of Gil Dong.  I need an explanation for episode 1 fast!

@honeywell  I thought GD killed her in the beginning, She was the one tied to the pole she told him to kill her.. I wondering if the Kings new found love has something to do with it being that she's in love with GD also.

58 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@honeywell  I thought GD killed her in the beginning, She was the one tied to the pole she told him to kill her.. I wondering if the Kings new found love has something to do with it being that she's in love with GD also.

Yeah I thought GD killed GR too which didn't make sense to me especially now with the recent plot development.  I honestly think it's a trick.  Even if GD ends up thinking that GR betrayed him, GD would never kill her.  So I'm really anticipating what events leads to that moment when GD is forced to shoot GR.

Archived