[Drama 2017] Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People 역적: 백성을 훔친 도적

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Defendant" VS "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People"

Spoiler

photo816452.jpg

According to Nielsen Korea, the latest episode of the MBC drama "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" rated 10.5%. This is 0.5% higher than the previous episode.

SBS "Defendant" came in first with 18.6% which is 0.1% lower than the previous episode but still very much in the lead.

KBS 2TV "Hwarang" came in last with 8.6%, the result of a 0.5% drop.

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" Episode 3

Spoiler

photo816500.jpg

Incredible though it may seem, Amogae has not actually lost faith in the justice of the legal system just yet. That's especially impressive considering how he spends most of this episode languishing in jail, suffering from the effects of torture. There certainly is a disconnect between what "justice" means depending on how well-connected a person is. It's almost as if the powers that be aren't actually interested in following the rule of law at all, and have to be shamed into doing so through public outrage.

The modern political parallels are difficult to ignore. Remember that right now South Korea is going through impeachment proceedings of a president who stubbornly refuses to resign, even though she will almost certainly be forced out of office. And even if Park Geun-hye does avoid being removed from office, it will just be so she can serve as a lame duck for a few more months.

It's exactly the kind of petty attitude that's fully encapsulated by the villains in "Rebel: Who Thief Who Stole the People". They're inconveniencing a huge number of citizens and wasting government resources to do what? Make a point about how they have the right to trample all over the weak? Amogae himself aptly encapsulates the irony of this by mentioning how without slaves, there's no concept of masters. They can only push so far before eventually the lower classes realize they outnumber their tormentors.

What further keeps the villains from becoming too cartoonish is their sheer pettiness. Observe how at one point a scheme is developed to put little Gil-dong in danger. The monstrousness inherent in sending an adorable little child to an almost certain death is completely lost on the villain. Because, in her own twisted mind, she's right. Not in any moral or ethical sense, but the technical legal sense.

You know that Bible quote, about how the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath? The same principal applies to legal systems. The dogmatic obsession the villains have with the letter, rather than the spirit, of the law is what will ultimately doom them, because in reality they care about neither. Amogae has time and again proven himself to be an exceptionally intelligent, capable man who in a more egalitarian world would have been a high-ranked minister. It's only a matter of time before the villains give up on rules altogether, and even if they win in the end, in the meantime, there will be blood.

Review by William Schwartz

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-rebel-thief-who-stole-the-people-episode-3-103022.html

"Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" Lee Ro-woon

Spoiler

photo816458.jpg

Young actors Lee Do-hyun and Lee Ro-woon rose to the surface.

Amoge's (Kim Sang-joong) two sons Gil-hyeon (Lee Do-hyun) and Gil-dong (Lee Ro-woon) in the MBC drama "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" got the spotlight for their excellent performances.

As children, during break times, they would run around the set.

Lee Ro-woon posted pictures of himself, Kim Sang-joong and Yoon Gyoon-sang on his Instagram.

He posted many other pictures besides that.

8 hours ago, Chi Le said:

10.5% -> 12.3%

"Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" catches up with "Defendant"

"Defendant" is in the lead and "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" is catching up quickly.

According to TNMS, the SBS drama "Defendant" rated 15.3% on the 7th.

MBC "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" rated 11.4% with a 4% gap with "Defendant". KBS 2TV drama "Hwarang" rated 6.4%.

Meanwhile, Park Jeong-woo (Ji Seong) joined hands with his lawyer Seo Eun-hye (Kwon Yoo-ri) and prepared for an appeal.

http://www.hancinema.net/rebel-thief-who-stole-the-people-catches-up-with-defendant-103049.html

congratulations...

"Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" Yoon Gyoon-sang appears as a peddler, second stage starts

Spoiler

photo817003.jpg

Yoon Gyoon-sang appeared for the first time.

On the latest episode of the MBC drama "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People", Amoge left the village and joined a band of thieves. He cleared his wife's injustice and joined Soburi.

Amoge told Ja-chi, the man who helped him before he left the village, "I will keep my promise of becoming the best! I may be a slave, but I'm different!"

Amoge became the head of the band of thieves. He suggests they turn to smuggling as they can't be thieves forever. After hearing that the Ming Dynasty King likes hemp cloth made from the Joseon, he taught the wives of the thieves to weave hemp cloth.

On the first day of his deal, Amoge was almost robbed of the silk he traded with the hemp and almost died jumping into the sea protecting the silk. Later, he made Ja-chi the district magistrate for a safer smuggling environment.

Ja-chi wiped the pirates clean for Amoge and expanded his power with the money he earned from smuggling.

Amoge worried about his children's education. Gil-hyeon wanted to continue with school and Gil-dong wanted to become a merchant. Gil-hyeon wanted to follow his father's footsteps while Gil-dong said he wanted to be merchant for women's products and disappointed Amoge.

12 years later, Gil-hyeon is a weapons maker and Gil-dong is a merchant for women's goods.

I decided to watch this drama because there's not much of good dramas to watch these days and to support Yoon Kyung san, i really didn't expect anything from it, i'm just watching it whenever i got time. I'm so happily surprised how good this drama is, the kids were doing great, the story is well written, the music is uplifting, the whole drama production is actually so good! Now I have my expectations from this drama. I'll wait for next week's episode. This is a nice surprise and a discovery for me! 

I like sagueks fantasy or otherwise a lot and every year I make sure that I watch at least two.  So when I saw the synopsis for this show i decided to check it out, you know what - its really good!!!  I am familiar with the lead's talent after enjoying it in Six Flying Dragons and Doctors but that was not what lead me to watch the show, it was the synopsis and the back story which had to hold my interest - asking should I continue to watch or not? I found it a bit strange that no one here is talking about the show, I am not into flower boys for Hwrang and for me Defandant is a bit too serious right now for watching, so Defandant is on hold.  

I especially like the background of Gil Dong and how it will influence his growth in the future, particularly  with the associates he grew up with but the most influential being his father.  The fact that his father being a slave for all his life had the wherewithal to say that he does not want this for his life or that of his children, he found whatever means necessary to ensure their survival is key as he removed the slave mentality of them.  He worked hard using his wits and not brawn so though he was strong physically as a child which he lost he grew up it shifted to his mental strength and cunning to live and protect those important to him.  Ah Mo Gae - meaning anyone/anything showed that his name given by his evil former masters actually had a lot of weight and value.  The perfect example when he was about to kill his master, the man was squealing like a pig saying "Ah Mo Gae" to get help only to die by the same hand that he has mistreated all his life.  His father taught him how to treat women as well by the way he treated his wife with care and respect regardless of their so called slave status.

You also got an idea as to why Gil Dong's strength disappeared temporarily, he and his family went through a lot emotionally and it took a huge toll on him. This was his way of protecting himself and his family especially as a child - the tiger symbolizes that.  It was heartbreaking but necessary.  Kudos also go to his big brother Gil Hyeon who show a mental strength similar to his father, smarts and maturity beyond his years to be able to shoulder the responsibility by taking care of Gil Dong and his his baby sister when going through a really tough time when his father was in jail, he acted as a man yet it seems that he came out okay.  Gil Hyeon is also hugely influenced by his father as after they were freed he saw his father rise from Ah Mo Gae the anybody former slave to somebody with a lot power and influence in such a short time and his father did not use violence to do so but his brain.  There is no way he is going to become a no name official assigned to irrelevant tasks after seeing that, he can inherit the father's role by following him, he has the potential & ability the father has a heir. I cannot say much about the daughter except that she grew up happily and free which is a huge blessing.

I like the idea of Gil Dong being a peddler before becoming a rebel and a general for the people, not for the nation/king as it will be proven in future episodes.  As a peddler for women he has lot of access to information nationwide, he has familiarity with the land, people's characters in terms of understanding as to what makes them tick etc. Its also a good workout for him due to the excess amount of walking and lifting that he has to do on a daily basis.  Due to his father associates from one of them he has learned acupuncture & all other skills would be critical in the future.  The upcoming episode is now going to introduce Gil Dong the peddler, so I am definitely looking forward to it.  It is likely that Ah Moe Gae  former master wife has disappeared albeit temporarily only to return in full force along with monster son upon the rise of King Yoseon.  There is so much stories in this drama to tell and I am looking forward it.

So I highly recommend this show to watch - you should check it out, my fellow comrades at forums- Chief Kim, Laurel Tree Tailors and Love is Drop by Drop -  hi to you all and if you are looking for a Monday/Tuesday watch - this is it,come here and lets talk about -Gil Dong the rebel thief who stole the people.

Gone for now and take care

i've been watching this show since it aired....i've been blogging about it, but not as much as i want to. overall it's a good show, but then again, i don't know if i'm going to connect to the grown up counterparts.....

here's my recent post....

https://ahjummasdramas.wordpress.com/2017/02/13/drama-review-21317/

I was so happy the baby sister lived and grew up happily, but now she's threatened and I'm afraid for her life, poor kid :(

Only one scene of Jang Nok Soo and Ga Ryung in the entire episode but I like them both already, mature JNS and Ga Ryung ready to slap GilDong for being rude... it's nice to see a drama where the female leads start out as friends. I hope we see more of them in coming weeks!

I wonder how the ratings were for this ep?

So that pig-looking-royal is the grown up son of Amogoe's master? On the side note i like the blooming chemistry between ga-ryung and gildong ayiiiiiiiiii :blush:

PS: Also, I would like to extend my utmost adoration to Lee Ha Nui.. she's really effective actress. I am immersed with her acting every time. I became an instant fan since Shine or Go Crazy

Archived