[Drama 2017] Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People 역적: 백성을 훔친 도적

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's episode was sort of incomplete.  We didn't get to see how GD and his crew broke out of prison.  I'm glad though that GD waited until they found a safe place before getting GR (even though she left home already).  Hopefully it's a positive sign that the Shaman told GD not to worry about GR and that they'll reunite at the proper time.

Seems Euh Ri Ni 1 will be jealous of GR's presence in the palace.  I'm guessing she'll be the cause of the rift between Nok Su and GR.

In this episode we can see the uprise of the Rebel, specially because that is the true calling of the Mighty Child. I believe the reason they did not show how GD and the crew escaped was because we all know he regained his strength and the King was told they broke down the prison walls (althought it would have been exciting to see the action of the escape). I like that GD and GH are working together, I can't believe the King is not suspicious of GH at all. The King is (was) a monster. I am expecting worse from him and feel nervous that he might do something to GR or Uh Ri Ni.
Talking about Uh Ri Ni, at this point I have given up on guessing who she is. Although I have my bet on the quiet one. The other girl will have beef with GR, she does not like her.
And what was that with Mori. Did he kill all those soldiers? Can we expect a switching of sides from him? 
Im waiting for the relationship of GR and Noksu to turn sour or sweet, which ever it may be. It is going to be interesting when Noksu finds out that GR is GDs wife.

What I like the most is character development of Ga Ryung. Actually, I've been waiting that GR will do something HUGE as a heroine, not only just waiting Gil Dong. I think GR and Uh Ri Ni (Ok Ran) will become besties. Sang Hwa will become the bad one.

I like the way Gil Dong destroy the King from the outside and Gil Hyeon from the inside. Later Gil Hyeon will join Gil Dong.

I surprised the King likes Ga Ryung at the first sight, same as Mo Ri. I hope the king not touch Ga Ryung. I don't like if it's happen. GR only for GD.

@cool_zaoldyeck  Mori and the soldiers did not bury the babies because Gil Dong's men got there and took them away before they could do so, they knocked out the soldiers.  When you look at it, it seems that Mori was contemplating the same thing because of his conscience was bothering him however Gil Dong beat him to it.  To protect themselves from the king's wrath Mori lied to the king about the babies.  You notice that immediately after Mori left the king's quarters, he was informed of the prison escape to which he found out that it was Gil Dong and his people that escaped.  He did not know who it was that escaped at first all he was interested was the hunt and his blood thirst.

5 hours ago, chasen8888 said:

@cool_zaoldyeck  Mori and the soldiers did not bury the babies because Gil Dong's men got there and took them away before they could do so, they knocked out the soldiers.  When you look at it, it seems that Mori was contemplating the same thing because of his conscience was bothering him however Gil Dong beat him to it.  To protect themselves from the king's wrath Mori lied to the king about the babies.  You notice that immediately after Mori left the king's quarters, he was informed of the prison escape to which he found out that it was Gil Dong and his people that escaped.  He did not know who it was that escaped at first all he was interested was the hunt and his blood thirst.

hello @chasen8888 thanks for the explanation. Cant wait for tonight episode...

Well, that was... good table-setting for the upcoming episodes.

- I guess the big jaw-dropper is: Eorinie is the mean girl! Wow, I was so sure it was the sweet girl. Clearly just a gimmick, but I was fooled.

Poor thing, she's so brainwashed into the ways of Teacher Song's crazy views (i.e. kill anyone who slightly insults you). I guess that can happen when you're younger and you don't remember your family? I don't know, but that was chilling.

It's like... hey, you found your long-lost sister! But hey... she's in a crazy cult!

- I guess the other big revelation is that Nok-Soo is a bloodthirsty loon just like the king! For the crime of accidentally tripping her, she will make the king cut Ok-Ran's head off! WHUT. I guess she's hung around the king too long and developed a taste for killing people just for embarrassing her a tiny bit.

I guess this matches with history, but it is disappointing since we've grown to like this character. BOO NOK-SOO.

- I think Mori is in love with Gil-Dong.

- The rest of it was fine. I enjoy watching the gang do anything together, so that's always cute.

But since they are in a cave, I worry about all the farting.

Oh, and the superhero costumes in the end? OMG. Too funny.

Today was all about the women.  I thought Ga Ryung had a scar but I guess that was just a trick or possibly forgotten by the writer.  Finally the real Uh Ri Ni is revealed.  I really thought it was Ok Ran so I was surprised by today's revelation.  But still I don't think it was necessary to put it off that long. 

37 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Well, that was... good table-setting for the upcoming episodes.

- I guess the big jaw-dropper is: Eorinie is the mean girl! Wow, I was so sure it was the sweet girl. Clearly just a gimmick, but I was fooled.

Poor thing, she's so brainwashed into the ways of Teacher Song's crazy views (i.e. kill anyone who slightly insults you). I guess that can happen when you're younger and you don't remember your family? I don't know, but that was chilling.

It's like... hey, you found your long-lost sister! But hey... she's in a crazy cult!

- I guess the other big revelation is that Nok-Soo is a bloodthirsty loon just like the king! For the crime of accidentally tripping her, she will make the king cut Ok-Ran's head off! WHUT. I guess she's hung around the king too long and developed a taste for killing people just for embarrassing her a tiny bit.

I guess this matches with history, but it is disappointing since we've grown to like this character. BOO NOK-SOO.

- I think Mori is in love with Gil-Dong.

- The rest of it was fine. I enjoy watching the gang do anything together, so that's always cute.

But since they are in a cave, I worry about all the farting.

Oh, and the superhero costumes in the end? OMG. Too funny.

Gil Dong is more like Batman than Robin Hood, living in a cave and everything:tongue:.  

With Ok Ran, I think Nok-Soo was trying to test Ga-Ryung and what influence she would have and/or use with the King.  I always had a feeling it was the mean girl, she just looked more like the young Eorinie.  I wonder how she will come to the revelation of her heritage and how she will act upon it.

I know this has been said before, but as much as I love Gil Dong he is a crappy husband.  Sure, he has a quest, but how could he not even send one person to look for his wife??!!! I really hope it doesn't take more than next week's episodes for him to figure out who/where she is.  

I think Mori has many more layers than we are giving him credit.  I think he can at least empathize with Gil Dong. It will be interesting to see what role he plays in the final game. 

And have to say Gil-hyun is awesome!  But Ga-Ryung ROCKS!!!  I'm so glad we are getting to see the badass she really is!!!!B):ph34r::heart:

Oh right, I completely forgot about Garyung's scar! I feel like the writer had more stuff planned for her but had to ditch it, sometimes I wish this drama was pre-produced so they weren't forced to change things midway but anyway I'm happy she's in the palace and has her own revenge/saving Ok Ran arc.

The final scene with Gildong flying looked nice but also funny.

What I don't get about Sa Hwa (is that her name?) is, if she's Eorini, why doesn't she recognize her brothers? I thought Ok Ran was the one with amnesia. 

I just thought of another way Ok Ran can still be Eorini, since she has amnesia maybe the piece of fabric is actually hers and she doesn't remember because the other girl took it (or someone gave it to her, like the guy who found her, he seems to actually know who Eorini is or that was the impression I got from the flashback where they show him with her). I don't know, I guess we'll know soon enough.

In reference to Ga Ryung's scar, she never had one in the first place, what happened is that she volunteered to get stuff from Heo Tae Hak's property in order to unsettle and jar him as a revenge for Amogae.  The only way she could do that is to be among the girls being considered to serve Prince Choong Won's home which was being done by Mori and Heo Tae Hak in selecting them. Gil Dong had a mole on that property and he was suppose to help her.  Also you have to keep in mind that the priest is good at making disguises for the men, its what he did at the temple which was being an artist.  The purpose was for Ga Ryung was for her not to be chosen but to stay on the property, which is what happened.  Mori was considering her but when he saw the "scar" she got rejected due to Prince Choong Won's "taste" in women which was no scars.  Ga Ryung then found a way to stay with the help of the mole and get the stuff for Gil Dong.  After that she escaped, Heo Tae Hak and Mori did not know that she did not leave when she was suppose to nor did they know who she was at that time. They more or less got introduced to Ga Ryung at Amogae's funeral.

Hope that clears it up.  The scar was no mistake by the writer but was a prop used to help Gil Dong, as you all know Ga Ryung has always loved Gil Dong and will do whatever it takes to help him.  Every Hong knew that and apart from her personality she already had Amogae's seal of FIL approval.  This writer is a rarity in that she is very consistent in how she tells a story and how everything fits.

The synopsis of Ga Ryung was that she was a widow who entered the palace seeking revenge for her husband by destroying the king.  This is what she is doing now, Ga Ryung is Gil Dong's widow who knowing that the king "killed" her husband is seeking revenge, also note her words to Sang Hwa that is she has no problems dying in the palace and would do what it takes to achieve her objective with a warning as not to be stopped or blocked.  Ga Ryung is saying that she is not afraid of death. She does not know that Gil Dong is not dead due to Gil Hyeon's actions which is to protect his brother by claiming his death to the public the other benefit is to placate the king's ego and do his bidding in secret.  That public announcement brought despair to the people of the nation whose hope was Hong Gil Dong in protecting them from the king.

What episode 21 and 22 did was give the Hong clan clarity as to the king's real nature as they had hope that he cared for the people etc. that all that was happening was a mistake, without his knowledge etal.  All that they did was not for naught and its to help their fellow man from being destroyed and excessively abused by the nobility. However that proved not to be case and as such all were forced to change, which is shown to be very notable in the brothers.  As at the end of episode 22 Gil Dong took a deep look at who he is and what he must do that is why the prison escape scene was not necessary to be shown.  It also helped Gil Hyeon to mentally/permanently cut all ties with Scholar Song and company with seeing the brutal, cruel treatment of his family and the people of the country with their so called justification for said actions in that it is their right.  However he is a Hong and they are a vengeful lot when wronged which was proven with his pranks against the king and it showed his wisdom and experience that he has gained over the years working in & out of the palace. This was very clear in his letters to Gil Dong which helped guide him in making decisions, in a way it was vice versa with Gil Dong's advice to him about Eorini and their approach as she is a spy for the Song people.  Those letters showed the closeness of the brothers, how much they trust and confide in each other.

It is imperative that both Gil Heyon and Eorini get out of the palace, in a way its easy for Gil Hyeon.  Gil Hyeon can use resignation as a form of punishment for the theft of the people that happened in the palace, the king would not believe that he is part of it.  There is so many possibilities as to what happened to Eorini as she could be brain washed to loyally serve Song people and in order to survive she had to change and be strong.   Eorini had to prioritize and that in a way is through information and power, she is Amogae's child and like all of them shows herself to be very intelligent & cunning.  You also have to consider the tragic circumstances that could lead towards a different Eorini she lost everything cruelly its a memory she may not want to remember with exception to the string which kept the ties. However you also have to note that Eorini is close and loyal to Ok Ran she will do whatever it takes to protect her friend in a way Eorini is like both her brothers with a cynical edge.

Episode 25 is the escape, the start of the downfall for the king and the hope for the people.

Gone for now

So much to go over but first lets talk about that wig and those masks. They have to do something about them I can't concentrate and keep on laughing. And the mark on GD clothes totally reminded me of Zorro.
Moving on definitely women power as some of you mentioned. The women were the first to say they would follow GD and the Hong Gang, "Behind a great man is a great woman". We can also clearly see this with GR. I love that she is not the typical damsel in distress. GR knows what she wants and is willing to do anything and even die in order to get her revenge. I also liked that she stood up for OR saying it was not a big deal that she stepped on NS skirt. 
Another strong character is NS, what is up with her? Is she that hungry for the good life that she is willing to step on GR. I think she will hate GR even more after she finds out that she is GD wife.

Ok so the big revelation happened in this episode and although I honestly thought that OR was Uh Ri Ni, I am glad  the other SH is the real one. First becasue the casting team did a good job in having the older URN look like the younger one. Second because she definitely has more attitude just like her father and brothers. She tattled on NS, and she knows or thinks that somehow this will help OR. Scholar Song will tell the King about NS interest in GD. I feel like she will stay loyal to her brothers as well when she remembers everything. Third the girl is brainwashed and has amnesia, we have to see how her character as spy and lost sister develops in the last few episodes. 

So does anyone else feel that Madam Jo will play a part in killing Prince CW although he is brainwashing her and she is one evil woman I think she will side with Scholar Song because of their lunatic beliefs.

I also believe Mori will find GR first, I mean he did not tell Prince CW that GD was alive because he remembered that he was looking for GR. I do not know if I should be worried about this.

I fear that GH will get discovered by Mamas Boy gone Bad (SH) in the next few episodes. However I like the wit he has to manipulate the King. GH has grown so much trough out the drama it is satisfying to see him slowly get his revenge.

Can Monday come sooner. Please!!! :)

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People: Episode 23

Rebel23-00102.jpg

The bloodthirsty king becomes more malicious and more creative in coming up with new reasons for others to be punished by death. He elevates his threat to the people in an attempt to establish his own customs and sense of order, and it’s working — the people are terrified. But there’s just enough fight in the people who once believed in the Hong Hero, and we can feel the rebellion brewing as Gil-dong slowly realizes the great responsibility behind his great strength.

EPISODE 23 RECAP

We see the conflicting ideals of Yeonsangun and Gil-dong as we watch a montage of their actions. Yeonsangun claims to be a politician who doesn’t trust people and believes that people can only be tamed with violence. Gil-dong, on the other hand, admits that he’s no longer angry but sad when he sees the tears of the people, because they remind him of the tears of Eorini, Ga-ryung, and Soboori. In his cell, Gil-dong stands up, his tall frame illuminated by the moonlight. He looks up to the sky and asks his father if instead of being a general who received the king’s sword, he became the one to take away the sword.

The newly recruited music troupe performs a song for the king under the watch of Nok-soo, but the song is interrupted when one woman coughs and runs out gagging. Nok-soo explains that in the rush of recruitment, some of the musicians happened to be pregnant. She tries to ameliorate the situation by praising their sound, but the king says that he asked for musicians, not children. He orders for the musician’s children to be killed, inciting shock amongst the troupe (and even Nok-soo). Mori facilitates the raid of the musician’s quarters to kidnap the children under the king’s orders. He takes them out to the field to be killed while the mothers scream at the outskirts for their babies. Then, suddenly a cloud of smoke overcomes the field, and Mori takes out his sword in defense. We hear a few punches, and after the smoke clears, we see some of Mori’s men down with no babies in sight.

Spoiler

Mori reports to the king that he got rid of the children in accordance to his orders, and the king doesn’t blink an eye as he polishes his sword. Eunuch Kim looks disturbed and tries to speak with the king, but they’re interrupted by the news that the prison has been broken into by intruders at dawn. Enraged, the king decides that he’ll capture these intruders himself. The king rides into the woods with his entourage, and as he takes the lead, his guards are captured by masked enemies. Only when he climbs up the hill does he realize that he’s alone. He hears an echoing laugh and looks around to find Gil-dong staring down at him from higher ground. Gil-dong calls out to the king by his birth name, Lee Yung, and threateningly inches a boulder on top of the hill. He warns the king to watch out for his future if he continues to hurt his citizens.

Gil-dong rocks the boulder back and forth, about to launch one forceful final push. The king cowers in fear and falls to the ground, but Gil-dong doesn’t push the boulder. He smirks and tells the king that they’ll meet again, and the pathetic king looks more irritated than ever. Back at the palace, Eunuch Kim falls to his knees asking that the king forgive his incompetent servant. The king suspects that Eunuch Kim may still be communicating with Gil-dong, but Eunuch Kim takes out a knife in response, swearing that he will kill himself to prove his loyalty. He reminds the king that he faithfully devoted his life to serving him. Nok-soo enters the king’s quarters worried about the king’s injury (a mere scratch on his face) and looks shocked at the sight of knife pointed at Eunuch Kim’s face.

Gil-dong walks up the hill with a smile, but he’s suddenly hit with something and falls to the ground. He opens his eyes and finds himself sitting against a tree and looks up to find Ga-ryung looking sweetly at him. She reaches her hands out to touch his face, and he holds them tenderly, admitting that he missed her. But when he opens his eyes, he’s out of his reverie, and the shaman looks down at him from Ga-ryung’s place. She tells him not to worry about Ga-ryung, since they will reunite when the time comes. She says that his father had asked how Gil-dong would survive, but she hadn’t answered because he had been asking the wrong question. So Gil-dong asks the question differently: “How am I supposed to die?” She tells him to find the tree with the big root. 

Gil-dong searches for the tree with his Hong bandits behind him. They enter a hidden cavern, and they’re met with a group of people led by the shaman. She tells the people that this is the Great One that they were waiting for, and they all bow to him. While the Hong bandits entertain the underground people with their tales, Gil-dong marvels at the size of the cavern and asks the shaman if he can bring some of his own citizens to this place. She notes that he says “citizens” instead of “people,” and readily agrees.

Nok-soo tends to the scratch on the king’s face and asks about Gil-dong’s escape. He’s nervous at the possibility that Gil-dong may be the Mighty Child, but Nok-soo takes his hand before he spirals into despair. She reminds him that he has thousands upon thousands of soldiers at his disposal — surely the Mighty Child cannot defeat them all. The king updates Gil-hyun about Gil-dong’s escape, and Gil-hyun hides his smile of relief. The king orders for Gil-hyun to capture Gil-dong secretly, since the people may indulge in rumors of the Mighty Child if his survival is disclosed. Gil-hyun agrees to these orders in front of the king, though we know he’s got other plans. The citizens are notified of Gil-dong’ death, and Choongwongoon and Madam Jo rejoice at the news. Choongwongoon looks vindicated by justice and commends the long-standing pillar of Joseon. Meanwhile, Ga-ryung looks shell-shocked by this news and cries at the news of her husband’s death.

Rebel23-00055.jpg Rebel23-00059.jpg

The king paces back and forth, worried about capturing Gil-dong. But Eunuch Kim eases his worries by reminding him that Gil-dong also has a trail of people who he took with him in his escape, which should make him much easier to find than they initially thought.

Read more:: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/04/rebel-thief-who-stole-the-people-episode-23/

Archived