[Drama 2017] Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People 역적: 백성을 훔친 도적

Go Seung Ji

First things first, I really like the song that was playing during the "wedding night" scene. Has it been released it yet? Also, I like the folk song Gil Dong and his clan once sang, i.e. the version we hear in the end credits of ep. 20. This drama's OST is wonderful.

Speaking of the wedding, I enjoyed that bit. It was touching. (Some changes in the facial expression, at last!) Tender, too. If it does come to what we saw in the first episode, then Gil Dong did the right thing. As awful and horrendous as it sounds, he did the right thing.

I know I probably shouldn't have laughed during the fight between Gil Dong and Mori, but I did. That's what I've been talking about, Gil Dong! You gotta train 'cause wheat won't always be there to help you out. In addition to being the Child Warrior, Mori is a martial arts master. Great... Not to mention that he's obviously smart. (The way he was looking at the Prince and the son of Madame Jo was priceless, as if he had no idea why he was hanging out with those two fools.)

The brotherly reunion was touching, too. That change in both of them, the pauses... :thumbsup:

(And those pictures! Look at Lee Myunghoon and Kim Junghyun! Whoa... :) )

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing episode 20 make me pretty sure that gil dong will "died/killed" somehow (but of course he still alive). And that makes ga ryung a widow (like in the character description). Ga ryung will enter the palace seeking revenge for gil dong.

and maybe one day the king will know about ga ryung's intention to kill him and punish ga ryung. Then gil dong will save ga ryung.

please forgive my imagination 

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

by DB Staff | April 7, 2017 | 26 Comments

murasakimi

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People: There are aspects of this show that prevent me from getting fully immersed into this world, even though I really want to, which I think mainly has to do with the fact that nearly all of the characters often act like chess pieces instead of living, breathing people, but my god the music is spectacular. I’ve been thinking recently of how even though there are songs in recent dramas that I really like, there aren’t any that I necessarily feel like listening to on repeat all day, everyday. But with this show all the musical elements are done so masterfully that my days are filled with the soundtrack of the Hong clan. The scenes where the actors perform the songs themselves are so effective at setting the mood, and are executed with such taste and poignancy that I’m always moved even if I didn’t necessarily care for their voices. Like this week, when Eorini was singing and couldn’t explain why the song brought her such sorrow; that broke my heart. I think in this world, songs are messages and stories, and memories and dreams, but above all else they’re a prayer that the one who hears this song can understand the heart of the one who sings it.

cr

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People: Episode 20

by tineybeanie

eneaJdi.jpg

While vigilante justice may be completely warranted in these Sugwidan abuse cases, it is technically illegal, which causes problems for our heroes. More importantly, by ignoring the proper channels for justice, our avengers are flaunting disrespect toward the government, the nation, and by extension, the king. Tragedy strikes as Gil-dong and Yeonsangun’s worlds collide, and although the brothers reunite, misfortune is never too far behind. And by the end, we’re left reeling with emotional whiplash from all the sudden events unfolding.

EPISODE 20 RECAP

Scholar Song briefs Yeonsangun on Hong Chum-ji’s popularity amongst the people—he tells the monarch that the bandit Hong is stealing the hearts of his citizens. Deputy Governor Eom calls after Gil-hyun, who hurries away. But as soon as they turn the corner, Gil-hyun presses Eom against the wall, still burning with rage for his betrayal of Amogae and his family all those years ago (when they were first separated). In awe and shock that Gil-hyun is still alive, Eom calls up to the sky for Amogae while Gil-hyun tells him never to refer to his father again.

Then, Deputy Governor Eom tells Gil-hyun that Gil-dong is waiting for him, but when he can’t identify Gil-dong’s precise whereabouts, Gil-hyun thinks that Eom is trying to trick him again. Gil-hyun admits his guilt in deceiving his nation and his king and tells Eom that he can blackmail him all he likes, but he can never mention Gil-dong again in front of him.

Spoiler

rMiZMbo.jpg

Gil-dong and the others are still looking for the mysterious Geo-in that were written about in the Heng-rok. They’re in a town passing by Hanyang, and Soboori suggests that Gil-dong visit his wife. Initially, Gil-dong says he doesn’t have to, but with the smallest of urgings by Soboori and Ilchung, he happily runs to Hanyang to see his beloved. She’s alone in the house, having fun writing her stories about Hong Chum-ji, when she hears a noise from outside. Initially, she’s scared of potential intruders and takes a bat with her outside. After calling into the dark a couple times, she becomes even more frightened, but then she hears Gil-dong’s voice behind her saying “Honey, I’m home,” and she immediately falls into his embrace. 

When they’re back inside, she gazes up at him lovingly and tells him how she wanted to ask him so many questions, but now she’s forgotten everything with him right in front of her. She goes to get him some food and tells him to read her storybook while he waits. He tries to protest, but she shoves the book in his hands and leaves. After just one line, his eyes close, and when he sways back awake, he wonders how a book could be this boring. Ha. Ga-ryung finds him with his head bowed over the book, fast asleep, and she caresses his face and lays him back in a more comfortable position. When he comes to, she tells him to get some more rest, but he tells her he’s interested in doing something more than sleeping as he pulls her waist toward him. Rawr. 

When they’re lying together in the bedcovers, Gil-dong explains to her about his journeys so far. He tells her that although he started this journey to find Eorini, sometimes he forgets his purpose, especially when he sees so many injustices happening to people right in front of him. He says that he gets so angry sometimes that he just wants to destroy everything, and in those situations, the magistrates always blame the king and say that they’re acting under his orders. Frustrated, Gil-dong wants to have a chat with the king to ask if they really are his wishes. Ga-ryung tells him that everything will be all right if he just calms down, helps the people who need it, and concentrates on finding Eorini. Gil-dong wonders if everything will go back to normal if he does.

Read more:: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/04/rebel-thief-who-stole-the-people-episode-20/

:cry::bawling: Tears strolled down my eyes for quite some time in this episode. Seeing GD get hurt, GH crying for his brother, the Gang crying. 
The King (I HATE him) knew about the Hengrok, which is disgusting but very good twist from the writers. I wonder who will be tortured in the next episode because of Madame Jo, seriously this lady has to get killed off, which will most likely not happen until the last two episodes. The actress is excellent though.
Now lets talk about Mori, I knew he would not kill GD. Somehow this makes me think that he will be on GD side towards the end. Also the Eunch he seemed to have a soft spot for GD I wonder if he will also switch sides.
My heart breaks for both GR and NS because they are both willing to risk their lives for their love. 
I know the next episode will also break my heart, this is one of the best dramas out right now. I 

The king is obviously not cut out for the job. He's not intelligent, or brave, or anything else. Now it appears he's a fan of the Roman Empire and gladiators, which certainly doesn't win him any brownie points.

Mori did - to some extent - surprise me with his "a life for a life" decision. Speaking of him, he's got the poise necessary for a general or a person of the royal blood. Besides, he's got that warrior-like elegance. I wish there was some of it in Gil Dong. 

Also, I wish there was more to Gil Dong falling in love with Ga Ryung. It would have been nice to see that change in him.

I can't even look at Madame Jo any longer.

It took 22 episodes but Ga Ryung is finally getting her revenge on the king.  It's also nice to see Ga Ryung do something else besides waiting on Gil dong.  How will Nok Su react when she finds out that her former left be is now married to Ga Ryung.

Anyone else over the who is the sister game?  Is there a point to this plot?  Mori I think will eventually join Gil Dong's side.  He seems to be a lost child who's trying to find his place.  

Gil dong is back and plotting his revenge.  He obviously recovers and brings his brothers back but does he ever wonder what happens to Ga Ryung?  Like after he recovers and leaves the palace, does he look for her?  When GR is tied up in episode 1, he seemed surprised to see her.  Sometimes I feel GR is too good for GD.  Hopefully we won't have to wait until the finale to see how GR was put in such a predicament.

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People: Episode 21 

Rebel21-00082.jpg

The king reveals his many faces, which paint him as a more erratic and vicious character than the king we previously knew. Though his tragic longing for his mother has evoked sympathy from his loyal followers, his tyrannical tendencies begin to shift sympathies towards our suffering bandits. The Hong Bandit has already managed to steal the people’s hearts, and Yeonsangun better watch out, because Gil-dong is slowly beginning to capture the hearts of those closest to the royal as well.

EPISODE 21 RECAP

We’re reminded of the legend of the Mighty Child, a being rumored to become a great force in the nation if he survives to adulthood. The king overhears conversations in the village about the Hong Bandit possibly being the Mighty Child and walks away disturbed by their adoration of the bandit over the king. Back in the palace, Yeonsangun asks his trusted advisor Eunuch Kim about the strange tales he gathered from roaming outside the palace walls. He used to tell the king about strange creatures, including the Mighty Child. Eunuch Kim assures the king that these are simply myths that the village people made up, but the king wonders about the origin of the Mighty Child legend and why the citizens believe the Hong Bandit is this absurd legend. He seems to suspect that this myth is true.

Going along with the agreed upon plan, Gil-hyun nervously presents a captured bandit, who introduces himself to the king as Hong Gil-dong. The king walks down to get a better look at the infamous bandit and comments on his rumored strength. Up close, he feels a sense of familiarity, and Gil-dong confirms this. He reveals his other identities — a merchant, the servant “Footstool,” the Hong Bandit — and also adds that he is one of the king’s subjects. He announces that he has brought something for the king. To milk the cliffhanger, we briefly check in with Nok-soo waiting nervously with Wolhamae and our two Eorini palace maids. Back at the trial, Gil-hyun brings forth the item that Gil-dong brought for the king. The king suspiciously picks up the book: It’s a copy of the Hengrok.

The ministers looks through the copies of the Hengrok and object the horrible deeds committed under the name of social order. Gil-hyun tries to influence the ministers by claiming that Gil-dong did them a favor by punishing the horrible people of the Hengrok. Plus, they can’t discount the bandit’s service in defeating the barbarians. The elderly minister agrees. As Gil-dong is dragged to his cell, he sees his captured hyungnims and promises to get them out. Later, Gil-hyun visits Gil-dong at his cell and delivers the good news about the ministers’ outrage over the Hengrok. But even though the ministers are positively viewing the bandits, it’s possible for Gil-dong to be subject to punishment for fooling the king as “Footstool.” Gil-dong knows this but decides to trust the king to do what’s right, and if that means that he’ll be imprisoned, then so be it. But if the king doesn’t deliver justice, then Gil-dong will not consider the king his king.

Spoiler

He trusts the king that Gil-hyun loyally serves. Taking his brother’s hand, Gil-dong tears up as he says that their father would have been proud. Gil-hyun reports to the king about the ministers’ praise of the bandits’ defeat of the barbarians and adds that these bandits have also loyally contributed to the palace treasury and storehouse. The king glances at Eunuch Kim, whose silence confirms these contributions. Gil-hyun suggests that the king punish Gil-dong by handing him a sword so that he might die in battle. The king meets with Gil-dong privately and asks why he risked his life to get here. Gil-dong explains that he was a merchant, then a gangster, then a thief. As a lowly gangster, he needed to risk his life in order to meet the king at the highest and brightest position. He tells the king of the injustices the people face — people getting their heels cut off out of pride, getting beaten to death, being forced to abandon crops. Giving the king the benefit of the doubt, he asks if the king could not see these people in their low dark place because of his high and bright place. The next day, the king scrutinizes the Hengrok text and seems exasperated by the injustices. Gil-hyun reports the king’s actions to Gil-dong, and they seem hopeful that the king is indeed a just and good ruler.

Yeonsangun meets with Scholar Song and scolds him for creating the Hengrok. Scholar Song presumed that the king would be happy with a record of the brave actions to preserve social order, but the king clucks his tongue at Song. He wanted for Scholar Song provide the elite with lessons of social order rather than allow them to release their anger. Wait, the king approves of the social hierarchy and order? We focus back on the authors of the text (the two “mok” characters), and one reveals itself to be a code for Lee Yung, which is Yeonsangun’s birth name.

Read more:: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/04/rebel-thief-who-stole-the-people-episode-21/

Todays episode was sad, sad, sad, specially the scene where the gang saw the defeated GD that broke my heart but our GD got back up at the end and I cannot wait for him to take revenge on the King. 
I like how GH is taking his revenge being one of the most loyal subjects the King will definitely be surprised to find out that GH is actually an enemy.
GR will also take her revenge which is what we were expecting from the very beginning. I wonder if she will befriend the "real"  Uh Rini whom ever she may be. I also hope that GD finds her before the arrow scene. 
I have no clue what is going on in Moris head. There was a scene were he seemed impressed by the bond of GD and the gang however he was leading the hunting grounds evacuation, killing all the villagers.
The evil Madame Jo I believe will have one last card up her sleeve before she dies off. Also I hope Scholar Song gets killed off maybe by GH or Mori. 

- Geez, I knew he was a cruel tyrant, but nothing brings it home like making your half brothers beat their mothers to death. Goodness.

The actor is kicking butt, though. I usually see him play sweet, doofy characters. I've seen him play a bad person before, but this is definitely a new level of psycho.

Although, during the dance sequence, I almost expected him to jump and shout, "Rooftop party!"

- How awesome was that dance sequence? And the music on this show is awesome.

- It was so sad to see zombie Gil Dong. I thought he was supposed to recover from any injury in 2 days? I guess the poison slowed that down.

- I guess that's how Ga Ryeong becomes a "widow?" She only thinks GD is dead. Anyway, this story is already very different from the original, which is fine with me.

- Loved that Gil Hyun was behind pranking the king.

- Loved Mori deciding not to kill GD. Aside from the fact that GD didn't kill him before, when he could, maybe they share some kind of mental rapport as fellow "mighty children." I do agree that he is probably a lot smarter than his "masters" give him credit for.

The difference between the two is that Mori's father tried to kill him because he was scared of him. But GD's father did everything he could to protect him. All Amogae's stealing and thug stuff started because he had to make money to buy themselves out of slavery, because he knew that the masters would kill GD if they knew he was the Mighty Child.

Can't wait until next week!

On 4/12/2017 at 1:20 PM, chickfactor said:

- Geez, I knew he was a cruel tyrant, but nothing brings it home like making your half brothers beat their mothers to death. Goodness.

The actor is kicking butt, though. I usually see him play sweet, doofy characters. I've seen him play a bad person before, but this is definitely a new level of psycho.

Although, during the dance sequence, I almost expected him to jump and shout, "Rooftop party!"

- How awesome was that dance sequence? And the music on this show is awesome.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

- Can't wait until next week!

@chickfactor  Yes he was a real Joseon Roman Caligula!  Perverse, cruel, sicko psycho.  I thought the drum dance was awesome too.  Honey Lee is not only gorgeous, she is also a concert level traditional Korean musician. (incredible). 

I am wondering why Eorine lost her memory? She doesn't remember her brothers? Maybe she lost memory because she almost drowned and did not have oxygen reach her brain.  

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People: Episode 22

hgd22-00164.jpg

Oh man, these Rebel writers are bloodthirsty like you won’t believe. It’s all the gore I enjoy in Game of Thrones brought to me in K-drama format. Halfway through watching this episode, I was like, Do you know you’re on public television? And then I immediately thought, Please don’t realize it anytime soon, because the savage viewer in me is fascinated by all the violence. I know it’s horrible, but I can’t seem to tear my eyes from the screen.

EPISODE 22 RECAP 

A broken and battered Gil-dong is strung up to a post in the public square outside the palace gates. Taking pity on him, one of the Eorini girls holds a gourd of water to his lips while her internal dialogue says that she thinks it’s the most pitiful thing in the world to see someone dying of thirst. The other Eorini girl looks on with huge eyes and hurries her friend to leave. Meanwhile in the palace, Mistress Jo tells Yeonsangun about the letter that his mother, the deposed Queen Yun, had left behind to a select group of noblemen, including the late Master Jo. The queen had written about how she wanted to hold Yeonsangun in her arms again, and the king weeps openly when he hears this about his mother.

Scholar Song (who introduced Mistress Jo to Yeonsangun) takes this opportunity to implant the idea that Yeonsangun’s father, the former king, was not the major deciding factor who wanted his mother deposed. He tells the king that the ones who are really responsible are the noblemen who influenced the former king to take such actions, and Yeonsangun’s eyes grow dark with fury.  Back at home and satisfied with his progress with the king, Scholar Song talks to Gil-hyun about the next actions to come. He also remarks about the strange coincidence that Gil-dong’s father was the one who burned the deposed queen’s letter. Gil-hyun keeps silent about his father, although he now realizes what danger they’re all in.

When Ga-ryung finally reaches Gil-dong after hearing about what has been happening to him, the king arrives in a rage about Amogae. He tells Gil-dong, who can barely open his eyes to look up at him, that his father went against social order by killing his master, but the real reason that Yeonsangun is angry is because Amogae burned his mother’s letter. Taking a nearby soldier’s sword, Yeonsangun readies to kill Gil-dong, saying that he will purge Gil-dong’s inherited insolence against those who are his betters. Just in time, Gil-hyun comes to beg the king to let him kill Gil-dong, giving the reason that it’s beneath Yeonsangun to personally execute a lowly thief. With tears in his eyes, Gil-hyun volunteers to kill his own brother and brings up the sword. Then, the king calms down from his rage and decides that a better way to kill Gil-dong is to let him suffer in thirst and hunger. He leaves.

Ga-ryung then approaches the post where Gil-dong has collapsed. She comes near him, and frantic with tears, she tries to pull at the ropes stringing him up. But she’s taken away by soldiers to a jail, along with all the other people who took pity on Gil-dong and tried to give him water.

Read more:: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/04/rebel-thief-who-stole-the-people-episode-22/

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

girlfriday

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People: It was really hard to see Gil-dong so broken, but I know how important this is for his character—he was skating by and living large, doing good deeds and punishing the wicked, but not with any sort of conviction. And if he’s going to become the legendary hero of the people we know he’s destined to be, he has to believe in something. Now, I don’t know that they needed to practically crucify him, for pete’s sake, but I know we’ll be rewarded soon… Soon, right?

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People: Okay, if Missing 9 got sanctioned for violence, then Rebel is going to be bathing in pink slips after this week. Or do sageuk dramas get a bit of leeway? The violence is technically historically accurate, and I kind of love the permeating sense of darkness, dread, and death. I don’t know what that says about me, but it’s probably not good.

cr

Archived