[Drama 2016] Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim 낭만닥터 김사부 Baeksang Best Director

pandalover1

Okie, let me ramble after watching Ep20 subbed. In no particular order, will just say things as it come across my mind :tongue:

I agree with @zagigirl that Dir Do's punishment is very light compared to what he has done? Just fall from grace, embarassed but I guess there's nothing they can do since it says the legal timeframe for his crimes has expired? But it was so good to see him having to eat humble pie and kneeling before CS and spill the beans himself hehehe dude, TK never said anything about you lol....

I'm glad IB made a stand for himself, not wanting to live under the shadows of his father anymore, not wanting to be know only as Dir's son but as himself Do In Boem. Its a great stride for him to get out of his comfort zone and to learn to grow without his father's protection.  I'm amused at what he says that his character is like that-picking on people, whether is it DJ, SJ or YH, haha I think he's beginning to show his true self more and more which is good rather than trying to be the goody two shoes that his father wanted. He knows DJ likes SJ that's why he said DJ won't want to hear it his ideal type which is SeoJung-kkk can I say it didn't really come as a surprise for me? But well he's too late, 5 years too late:D

YH is still crushing on DJ-poor Nurse Park, its so obvious he definitely have the hoots for her. So yeah I just wished the barley tea couple would come clean with their relationship but it seems they are also enjoying the secret secret relationship hahaha

I really love the flashback of SJ and TK of their past with each other, it gives us an idea how close they really are. Although DJ, IB and even YH are the new proteges but I believe SJ and TK has a special bond because its been 5 years for them. I love how he saved the brightest smile for SJ at the end, as a proud father watching his little girl finally growing up. Hiaks can TK be SJ's guardian from now on? 

DJ certainly grew attached to TK, from the way he showed his worries and concern over him at his injury. He is ever oh so protective over SJ and get jealous easily when any guy shows an interest in her! DJ that's why SJ says you are cute and like a teenager lol. When finally say I love you and SJ didn't curl her fingers for once, it was like finally an affirmation especially since they just found out that both of them have admirers:wub:

I'm happy that CS secret is out, so TK saved him 20 years ago! guess he must have made an impact upon him for him to recognise him, yeah you probably remember you saviour for life. But so what about the blank page at the end? Just for KSB to answer his question from the prev page? hmmmm and I'm glad CS seen so much in Doldam in order to have a heart, him not just giving the manga artist money but letting him sort of earned it by drawing for him his story was a brilliant idea to save that guy. Kudos to CS for that, your first good deed? Next one will be setting up Doldam trauma center?

i love how they are having fun at Dr nam's restaurant and right in the middle of it, they were called back, no one even flinched or made noise, just took their clothes and left the place immediately! This is dedication! professionalism at its best! i will forever remember how TK lead the team into the hotel and also remember how the young Doldam team strut their stuff as they enter into ER all ready to handle the emergency situation. Guess that's why TK is so proud of him, looking at them one by one, showing his approval! For TK this is the moment he has been waiting for, to build a team that shares the same ideals and thoughts as him, to save lives, to be the doctor that each patient need.

I think we can compile a list of worthy quotes from this drama to real life situation!

So finally TK decides its the end of the road for Dir Do and stand up against him. Gah we have all been waiting for this moment! So its gratifying although TK was hurt in the process, thankfully its not serious-got me worried for a minute there. And so we will have an additional story just for TK's love line? Curious what it will be, Would love to see the truly romantic side of TK!:rolleyes:

:cold_sweat:sobs really time to say good bye after tonight. Sigh...what are the chances for Season2?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, supergal99 said:

:Dspecial preview:lol:

omo thanks for this, did our barley tea couple have a little tiff? ah we have no time for this right now unless you give us S2. but omo how they are taking pics together so cute. is DJ going somewhere?:cold_sweat:

Omo I saw that special preview that @supergal99 posted THANK YOU!!! I love our OTP moment. And did I hear HIV positive in that clip??? :cold_sweat: I need you @stroppyse to translate for us please.??? HELP! SOS! hahaha!... MANY THANKS in advance.

Im loving the OTP moment but again Im worried whats the content in the letter that's his hiding from SJ... Is he getting transferred to another hospital?

C2VglPqVIAAjz4K.jpg

I dont want them to separate, they look too happy and heck their relationship only just blossomed.:cold_sweat:

@lavender2love IB and SJ arent half siblings. She clarified it that PD did like her mother but they were just friends. After her mother passed away, PD just financially support her thru medical school. But IB was still skeptical and wanted a DNA test. She agreed she would do the test but we never saw that happen lol! 

17 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

Omo I saw that special preview that @supergal99 posted THANK YOU!!! I love our OTP moment. And did I hear HIV positive in that clip??? :cold_sweat: I need you @stroppyse to translate for us please.??? HELP! SOS! hahaha!... MANY THANKS in advance.

Im loving the OTP moment but again Im worried whats the content in the letter that's his hiding from SJ... Is he getting transferred to another hospital?

I dont want them to separate, they look too happy and heck their relationship only just blossomed.:cold_sweat:

@lavender2love IB and SJ arent half siblings. She clarified it that PD did like her mother but they were just friends. After her mother passed away, PD just financially support her thru medical school. But IB was still skeptical and wanted a DNA test. She agreed she would do the test but we never saw that happen lol! 

Omo you didn't? you did? HIV who?

yes that's what I'm worried about too, DJ's letter...seems like he may get an offer elsewhere? nooo....couple time is already so few, I need MORE not less ok writer-nim! give us fan-service! to cure our heart ache of sending this drama away! unless of course you are giving us Season2! then only its ok lol...

I enjoyed the finale but unfortunately there are still so many unanswered questions that leave me a bit unsatisfied, namely:

Dr. Nam's history - more details about the lawsuit and his family etc.

SJ's fiance cheating on her/love child - did the nurse tell her?

Manager Jung and Nurse Oh

The future of Doldam - does it become a trauma centre?

MK first love... will probably be addressed in the prequel, but we don't get to know what happens after the reunion.

I guess CS's secret is that MK was the person who saved him the first time. 

I also did not like how they introduced YH's crush on DJ and IB's crush on SJ in the finale... it just creates an unnecessary mess after DJ-SJ has been established and we've gotten hints of a possible romance between Nurse Shin and YH or even YH and IB. Messy...

Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed this series and will be praying for another season with the crew at Doldam.

1 hour ago, SyntaxError said:

I enjoyed the finale but unfortunately there are still so many unanswered questions that leave me a bit unsatisfied, namely:

Dr. Nam's history - more details about the lawsuit and his family etc.

SJ's fiance cheating on her/love child - did the nurse tell her?

Manager Jung and Nurse Oh

The future of Doldam - does it become a trauma centre?

MK first love... will probably be addressed in the prequel, but we don't get to know what happens after the reunion.

I guess CS's secret is that MK was the person who saved him the first time. 

I also did not like how they introduced YH's crush on DJ and IB's crush on SJ in the finale... it just creates an unnecessary mess after DJ-SJ has been established and we've gotten hints of a possible romance between Nurse Shin and YH or even YH and IB. Messy...

Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed this series and will be praying for another season with the crew at Doldam.

After watching this ep with subs and seeing the new preview Im 99% certain that ep 20 wasnt the finale ep. Even in other websites where you can watch the drama doesnt confirm that ep 20 was the ending. From the preview of ep 21 doesnt even look like a prequel. Unless my English is wrong but dont prequel's tells us the story of the main characters younger days or of their past selves. That's quite misleading in calling it a prequel ep dont ya think? Ok rant over about this slight confusion that I have.

Anyway back to your questions, I think most of that was purposely left untold to open up room for a season 2. Though with the case of the Nurse/ Dr Moon/ and their love child hmmm I sometimes wonder if its better that SJ doesnt know about it. But one thing that Ive learnt (esp from dramaland) is that the truth will eventually somehow be known. - S2? 

1 hour ago, angel2013 said:

Omo you didn't? you did? HIV who?

yes that's what I'm worried about too, DJ's letter...seems like he may get an offer elsewhere? nooo....couple time is already so few, I need MORE not less ok writer-nim! give us fan-service! to cure our heart ache of sending this drama away! unless of course you are giving us Season2! then only its ok lol...

YES Im listening to that preview over and over again and I think the person saying it is our cameo KHS :wacko: as her voice is quite soft and gentle and it doesnt sound like the other female casts.

As for s2, Im not sure if I want it. But never say never with SBS they are greedy and want to maintain their ratings top spot then they might go ahead with it. Though I do believe that getting all the casts/ crew back will be difficult task and most importantly they must have HSK back for the role otherwise wont the title seem pointless without him in it. He is the one and only Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim. Sort of like Mr Lawyer, Mr Jo - Park Shin Yang a good example there. If KBS can lure him back for a s2 why cant SBS too right? There's hope chingue lolz!

Omo thank you @LyraYoo for the new stills... we've got a new hint. KHS is a doctor. Maybe she will perform the surgery replacing KSB because his hands hasnt completely healed. Im so eager for tonight's ep. My nerves have returned - @supergal99 :tongue: I think I need a break after this all ends... I sense my heart rate has been on a 4 month rollercoaster ride :wacko:

BTW is it me or does TK look teary upon seeing her

EDIT- just noticed @stroppyse posted the translations of the preview... Im glad Im not the only one think that ep 21 isnt a prequel :tongue: THANK YOU CHINGUE!!!

I LOVE YOU ROMANTIC DOCTOR ;______; <3

I really like the finale. It was nice, it was solid, and I borrow what my friends said - what needed to be resolved were resolved and the ending shows how their live goes on like how it is in real life. The show is solid, from start to finish and I'm so happyyyyy. Ahhh, I've never felt so fulfilled in a long while for watching a kdrama and I'm so happy RDTK gave me that. it does seem like certain issues are 'unresolved', but I don't think those are major enough that would interrupt the core of the show about how the young, misfit doctors meeting their mentor and how they finally grew and heading their way to become good and needed doctors. Plus, I think it does end with us having those little guesses because that's the show's way of making way for the extra episode tonight.

For tonight's episode, I am not even sure if "prequel" is the right term for it. I'm not good in Korean myself, but from what I look up in the online dictionary, seems like "번외편" could mean a lot of things. It could be a "prequel", a "spin off" or even a "sequel" but it essence, it brings the meaning of an "extra episode", I guess? @stroppyse can you help confirm this? ^^;; (also if you permit it, can we sub the teaser using your translation? due credits will be given ^^. It's just that I think a lot of international fans are not really aware / understand about the concept extra episode. Some thought it's just gonna be a recap episode or something like how some shows' special episodes were. So hopefully the subbed preview will reach out to them and make them all tune in to see ^^)

RDTK ep 20

This episode is memorable as it marks the downfall of Dir Do (finally). I was actually slightly disappointed that some plotlines were not able to be resolved in this episode like SJ’s past and that CS’s secret was not that big of a secret as I imagined. Then I again, I suppose it would be impossible to wrap up all that just in one episode. :/

However, I do enjoy the how they did the transition of PD’s downfall. Like the question posed by President Yeo to the udon shop owner (not in exact wordings), “Everybody knows and is aware of the bad things Dir Do has done and continues to do but they still allow that kind of person to be in power. Why do you think so?”. Because of this, I feel like part of the theme of this drama was to stand up against a tyrant/bully and make a change in society was through courage. We always think that one person alone can’t make a change (out of fear or cynicism) but if one person has the courage to carry it out the rest might get the confidence to do so as has been illustrated by the people in this drama. From the psychologist not giving the test results PD wants, the lawyer going against PD and allowing TK to practice, the journalist who gathered information for TK to finally deliver the final blow to PD and finally TK who finally garnered courage to ask PD to step down. Not forgetting PD’s own son IB who turned against his father at the end in favour of making progress as doctor through his own efforts rather than by using his father’s name. All this led to a change, however small (yet significant) in the system that DJ and TK was a victim of, thus providing progress. I thought that was a great message even though this is of course is a drama where things tend to be exaggerated and are easier said than done in real life.  I also thought the way TK led PD to his own downfall not  by stooping down to his level and revealing it to CS, but by giving him a choice of stepping down by making him face his wrongdoings through the evidence he gathered. PD might have thought that he had been fooled by TK into confessing his wrongdoings to CS, but it was his mindset that led him to carry it out. He was so used to being in competing in the corporate ladder that he mistook TK as being similar to him in wanting him ruined when in actuality TK just wanted to put a stop to PD’s ongoing manipulation of the medical world that he holds dear.

Anywho, I am looking forward to watching TK’s loveline. Hopefully tomorrow’s episode would at least provide us a glimpse and wrapping up of the other character’s loveliness namely, SJ-DJ, Nurse Park-YH (They never really provide closure on them wish NP would confess) coz’ I really am craving for some more cute couple time. :D

Okay time to say goodbye to Doldam Family and Doldam Avengers... I am not ready to be honest, I want more... Hehhe... Congratulations for another rating record, almost 28% and reward trip to Cebu, but sadly TK and Crazy Whale can’t go with them. Please enjoy your vacation and comeback sooner to dramaland.... Hahhhaaa...

Man of the last night episode of course none other than President Do. He used to be an expert for making up words, but in front of TK his sugar words was useless and he lost his temper, end up throwing fits. He used to be an expert for breaking people’s relationship, but he got failed to break CS and TK relationship and end up digging his own grave. He used to be an expert for controlling people, but he got betrayed by his own son. In simple words he was completely a loser in the last episode. But, I want to give my 90o bow to actor Choi Jin-ho who played the role. From the beginning until the end he never fails to give me headache. Honestly I want PD to receive a real punishment for his wrongdoings – being kicked out from GSMC and I am curious to see what will he do to deal with public sentiment as TK’s revenge announcement was held in front of public event. 

PD and TK face to face scenes last night was memorable, childish fight scene at celebrating party and sarcastic yet wise conversation at receptionist area of Doldam Hospital. There is a words that should have woke up PD that not all doctors only care about money, “There are a lot of young doctors who want to be a good doctor rather than run after money, including Do Im-boem”.  He used to be a doctor too, he has a son who is a doctor, and he is a chairman of a hospital, but his mind totaly only about money and power.

Talking about Romance, I am trying hard to figure it out, Why this show called Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim. Even until the end I am not sure about it. Maybe someone can enlighten me? But according to TK last words during his conversation with PD, I come to the point that romantic refers to himself as a doctor who never give up on his patients, trying to serve them wholeheartedly, providing best facilities, and making sure that he will always be there whenever they need him. He will do everything to save his patients no matter what it takes even readily to sacrifice himself. Such a idealistic dream just like PD said, but I admire TK’s standpoint as a doctor bravely saying that Doctor first ever task is to save patients, nothing to do with power, money, age, gender, jobs, religion and whatever it is.

CS’s story – He owned black business. There are people who hate him but also there are people who need him. There are people who want him to die, but there are people who want him to stay alive. But no matter who is he, TK is the only one who want to save him because he is a doctor.

DIB – the time he spent in Doldam Hospital, MAKING HIM TO BE A Mature person. Standing on his own feet, leaving his father and live on his own life. The funny thing, his ideal type YSJ. Ahh I will miss KDJ and DIB bickering.

Dr. Song – He is the luckiest person during that war. PD seems forget about him, and TK accept him as the member of Doldam Family.

Kim Hye-soo’s cameo – I got a mixed feeling about her cameo or maybe more precisely my thought got mixed up with TvN’s Signal’s Ending. There, she also lost her contact with her first love Detective Lee Jae-han (played by Jo Jin-woong) for 20 years and in the end she found out that Lee Jae-han’s hiding place was a hospital in rural area. What a coincidence, if TK is her first love that she lost 20 years ago and he also live secretly in a rural hospital during that time? No matter what kind of story tonight, I am ready for it. Hope it won’t only about TK but also a glimpse for another characters too. Live recapper, I count on you tonight!!! Thank you. And will we have wrap up party tonight?

Overall I really like this drama so much and I guess I will have post traumatic drama disorder at least for the next 2 weeks. RDTK is a high profile drama and totaly recommended. For me RDTK is one of the best medical drama that I heve ever seen (the others are Good Doctor and Beautiful Mind). From the start to the end, RDTK keeping me on edge of my seat, making me analyze, giving me headache, tears and laughter also a lot of lessons that I learned from RDTK. The main casts maybe addressed to Han Suk-kyu, Yoo Yeon-suk and Seo Hyun-jin, but the supporting roles are not a joke either. It was a blessing that RDTK consists of talented actors and actress, PD and staffs and of course the power of writing from the writer. I am happy that I don’t miss tis drama. I eagerly want to see them again working together in the same project. Maybe ... Should we hope for season 2??? 

Spoiler

Off topic – Just in case you miss our Mr Cute and Annoying – DIB, we have another opportunity to see that rookie actor again soon in the next SBS’s saeguk Saimdang starring Lee Young-ae, he will play younger version of the male lead. I think I will check this drama for the sake of Lee Young-ae and a bit of curiousity of Yang Se-jong/DIB’s acting.

@stroppyse

" And, perhaps DJ or SJ is being offered a position with the Mayo Clinic? "

The Mayo Clinic letter is address to Dr. Kang Dong Joo

Episode 20

Some information on the Singer Nam Jin (Wannabe, name Neom Jin) who came to Doldam Hospital for his piles or haemorrhoids  ailment & got Dr Song all excited only to find he is not the real mccoy. Meanwhile his assistant note to have suffer from signs of jaundice & Dr Kim order to run a blood test & scan on him & find that he had pancreas head cancer & need to do a whipple's operation

Singer Nam Jin (남진) is a legendary Korean trot singer during the 70s & still command popularity & is dubbed as Korean equivalent of Elvis Presley

It's with a feeling of sadness that I say goodbye to my favourite medical drama so far. I did not expect to enjoy this show as much as I did, and the first few episodes didn't really draw me in, but eventually I started to love the characters and became completely hooked. Thanks to the cast and production team a wonderful show! I'm looking forward to the prequel tonight, which is a great bonus for us fans!

Here are my thoughts on the finale: https://kdramaanalysis.wordpress.com/2017/01/17/romantic-doctor-teacher-kim-episode-20-the-law-of-conservation-of-romance/

Big thanks to all the fans here too for all your insightful views and for sharing the love of this show :)

Archived