Park So Dam 박소담

juliacaesar

Hey guys! I'm a new user here. I become a big fan of so dam after I watched her in the recently wrapped drama CN4K. Although I watched many K-dramas since last year, there aren't many actresses who I love and stan. I had been searching about her in the Internet, and found that she is mainly a movie actress. Since I usually don't watch korean movies, but for her sake, I will try some. Would you mind recommending me of some great movies of so dam??

Anyway,  I enjoyed CN4K so much and hoped that she could win Best New Actress in APAN award, but so sad that it didn't happen.  She is so pretty in that lovely pink dress on red carpet. 

• Like 7

@Aziraphale Thank you sharing the DB article - it was " a nice long read" :D

Though I think that PSD was being a bit hard on herself regarding her character depiction in BM. I have watched all her DRAMAS, but for me at least, her acting in BM was the best (yeah still not completely over BM). Bur her popularity seems to have soared after C4K, or so it seems from the likes and comments on instagram :heart:. She does stand out no matter what she does and seems to have good chemistry with all her co-stars.

Does anyone know how her play "Closer" is doing in SK?

• Like 7

@istanbullu_emine @Lydia Reid Nice to see new faces and @Aziraphale @lexicon also nice to see some familiar faces return! :) 

@Lydia Reid Welcome to the thread! I have to say that her roles in movies in comparison to dramas have been very versatile and different each time. If you watch The Priests, you will be very impressed with her acting, she really carried out her role well. Although the movie's pace is sort of non-eventful, I recommend it for watching her in that role. The Silenced is also a nice movie, where she has the lead role together with Park Bo Young. Some opinions about the latter parts of the movie are mixed, but it is a really nice movie about the two girls' friendship! Even though PSD only has a minor role in The Throne, it is a heavy movie, evoking emotions, and it is very well done. Now, I have yet to see Veteran yet, where she has a supporting role, but I have heard good things about it. I also wish Snow Paths was available with eng subtitles anywhere, since I find it to be a unique movie with a nice feel to it, when I watched it raw. PSD's role in that is also a very special one, and a very interesting one. 
So if you want to watch PSD in a major role, you should watch The Priests and/or The Silenced. If you don't mind also seeing her as a supporting role, I also recommend The Throne and Veteran :) If you also want to watch the rest of her dramas, both Beautiful Mind and Because It's The First Time are two projects worthy of your time!

@lexicon I have yet to see how well Closer is doing in SK, since I don't think there are any articles published about it in English... But from the looks of it from posts on IG, the whole cast seem to be having a good time with their performance! And I agree, as soon as you see Sodam-ssi in a project, or just in interviews/anything else alone, she does stand out with her bright emotions and sweeping acting! :heart:

This was what PSD had to say about finishing C4K:

"'Cinderella and Four Knights, it's really the end. In the beginning of the year, I was drawn toward Ha Won, and wanted to embrace Ha Won warmly, but all of a sudden it's already the end... I learned so much, and shared so much with the production, so I was happy."

Translation from: http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/10/park-so-dam-gives-her-final-remarks-on-finishing-cinderella-and-four-knights

• Like 7

I'm still here guys! I didn't have a chance to log in until today. T.T Hehe I haven't even watched the finale for C4K. Although to be fair I did have a chance to watch that but I went to sleep instead.

So this is late but meh @juliacaesar I am totally in for Sodam playing a 'bad guy (uh...girl)/villian.' It never crossed my mind her character in Sado was 'bad-ish' when I read the cast list. I had read she got hit in the movie so I assumed she was a 'good' character that got unfairly punished. Yeah....I don't know my Korean history.

But yes back on topic..or she could play one of those anti-hero roles that everyone ends up loving. Usually kdramas give that role to the male characters so maybe she could tackle a character like that in a movie. But I dont want it to be a character like LYO in BM or YJ in CITT, as in anti-heros that the audience understands eventually or roots for entirely. Have you guys ever watched Bridal Mask? The villian in that drama is definitely a bad person but the character is so well layered that you see streaks of bad and good in him.  At the end he has a pile of crimes he's commited but there's something about his story that makes him a very tragic character. So as a viewer you hate the guy but you can't help pitying him..even when he's done everything wrong. Gosh I want Sodam to play a layered villian like this. Not just a villian that is 100% cartoon bad. So I guess that's not necessarily an anti-hero but you guys get my drift.

I'm anticipating what her next project will be (that movie idk whats up with it still). She's busy with Closer until the end of November but since us i-fans can't enjoy that it'll feel like she's mia for a while now that C4K is over. T.T

And I love your gif btw. That's one of my fave scenes in The Silenced. Hey! There's something I really want gif-ed! Can you make it for me one day?? :D

In other news, I'm kinda put off with the APAN awards. First of all, a certain actor didn't get nominated for anything at all AT ALL. Is it really just because low rating dramas don't deserve recognition? Smh.

And re:Sodam. Like I love her lively Hawon but I felt like I could connect more with her portrayal of Jinsung...and she ended up getting nominated for C4K not BM. Whatever...I'm happy she was nominated nonetheless. She didn't win but gawshhh she totally won my heart with that beautiful dress though (cheesy line I know).

@istanbullu_emine You happened to post my three favorite photos of her for APAN night.

Apparently it was cold, rainy, and windy though. :( I loved her look but at the same time I wanted to go hand her a blanket. 

Glad to see new people pop in! Please do continue posting~~~

Edit. Forgot but yes I'm still on with my SP DVD project. I will probably buy it from Gmarket in a few weeks.  ^^

• Like 6

I really enjoyed her drinking interview. Some questions I am a bit bothered by that they are always asked, like the question about "looking different from others". In this interview: http://www.soompi.com/2016/09/27/park-dam-has-complete-confidence-being-different-from-others/ she answers this question again, and I saw a comment that was speaking the truth. I kind of agree with this comment. Maybe constantly being asked this question makes non-existing complex now appear, little by little...

•  
    yulyuli  6 days ago

Could interviewers seriously please stop asking actresses these stupid questions about their looks and complexes when the actresses' looks don't exactly conform to narrow beauty standards? PSD answer was great though

• Share ›
  •  

One question that I really liked the answer for was:

Q: You’re at that youthful age when people start falling in love.

A: Do people fall in love because of their age? (Laughs.) I’m not dating right now. How long has it been since my vacation? I don’t remember.

While first answering the question with a very wise answer, we are then reminded yet again what a busy bee she is, always working on some project! 

•  

• Like 6

@bjvipb2uty Wow I posted the same time as you so that's why I never replied in that previous message. Forgive me chingu! We missed you <3

Anywho, what you said about a villain with layers, that's exactly like I want as well! I did watch Bridal Mask, where the antagonist was indeed a complicated person. To see his downfall into evil with his motivations was truly devastating. I don't know if you've seen The Great Queen Seon Deok, but Mishil, the main antagonist of that drama, was also a complicated villain. While we never really saw her good will or actions, she was a wise woman with deep emotions lingering within.

If Sodam were to play a similar character to Mishil in TGQSD, I think we would see her as an antagonist we love to hate, but can also pity and connect with. Me and a friend came up with a scenario where she would play as this sort of person, but also being a bit of a romantic and a little manipulative. While at the same time, a very wise young woman. I could show you the entire conversation we had about this scenario, including other actors/roles as well :D

And the GIF... I took it from tumblr to be completely honest hahah, but if you make a request I can totally see what I can do! Also I might know exactly which actor you're talking about that didn't get nominated... Right? It will forever break my heart to see excellent performances be ignored just because of its lack of popularity ㅠㅠ You would think that it would get SOME attention when viewers/critics who HAS seen it, loves it. But naahhh. I s'pose that's what show business is all about (and yes I'm tuning in for Entourage after the end of C4K). 

To be honest, while I really really loved her role as Jinsung in BM, it didn't get quite as much development as it could have. Whereas in C4K, Hawon is THE main character, which means a more detailed role. Jinsung and Youngoh will forever be in my heart though, because I'm not saying she had a flat character, that was not at all the case. I found Jinsung to be a very interesting one that I also connected with! The want of becoming a character of strength was seen in both Hawon and Jinsung, but in two different ways, don't you also think so?^^ Hawon was looking for the strength to become independant and to be able to stand strong on her own two legs. Jinsung was looking to be strong in order to be able to assist in a greater cause, for justice and what's morally right. Along the way they both gave strength to the people around them :)

Long-ish post over! Now here's is one of my favorite pictures of PSD in action. From a blood sucking vampire to a cheery "fighting":

20160121_1453364646_46330200_1.jpg

• Like 6

@juliacaesar Nah no worries~

I haven't watched that drama but I just looked it up real quick + your explanation and I'm on board for something like that character. Aw man all this talk is making me want something like this for SD asap! Haha. Manipulative? Yasss! Lol I want this! I'd love to read all your ideas tbh.

Ah I see. I figured you made it since you made some gifs before. Well you see I love the little moment at 0:23-0:25 in this video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3whWGNyH7jQ&feature=youtu.be

It's something I didn't catch until I rewatched BM but I found it soooo adorable how she 'answered' YO with that little shrug. I'd gif it if I had the skillz but I don't. Ofc I'd love it if you made it one day but you don't have to. No pressure. I can just replay it endlessly. XD

I should probably watch the last two episodes of C4K to give a fair opinion on her character, right? Hehe in retrospect that makes more sense. But I definitely agree that both HW and JS were two strong leading ladies who seemed to know what they wanted and how they were going to achieve it.

More pictures from her appearance at the Seoul International Youth Film Festival. She'll continue going to these events since she's an ambassador. 

2016092918464270400.jpeg

Spoiler

2016092918491333400.jpeg

2728282857_OhMsPBWG_f6cc347d6dc34e08aea7

And from today's SIYFF event:

Edited by bjvipb2uty
Forgot video otl
  • Like 6

@bjvipb2uty Well I can tell you that our idea about the drama concept included a shaman/fortune teller halmoni, the equally evil partner in crime to Sodam (Kang Haneul) who would be the kind of guy who is very obedient to his eternal love Sodam, being smart but not smart in the long run. Sodam would be the evil planner, looking sharp in red lips, controlling but still loving her Haneul. She would be a layered villain, and a very wise one. We also decided to put a tongue tattoo on Haneul hahah. Then, there's a side character, female, who gets dragged into the evil business of Sodam and Haneul unwillingly. She ends up being tempted (;)) by Haneul, he notices this and uses her to defeat the "good guys", since the good guys think that this girl is on their side. You think that this girl is innocent, but she is secretly scheming with and obeying Haneul (who is obeying Sodam). This role could totally be Park Bo Young! We didn't discuss much about the heroes and heroines of the drama, but we thought Kim Seul Gi could totally play a young heroine wanting to defeat evil :D 

The GIF! Voila~ I made two variants, just because I loved the stare Young Oh gave her after she did that!

ezgif-1405358876_zpsckhqucvo.gif

Spoiler

ezgif-1338064924_zpsldvam5jj.gif

• Like 5

Park So Dam at the 2016 Busan International Film Festival. 

Park+Dam+21st+Busan+International+Film+F

More photos under spoiler tag

Spoiler

I don't know Korean myself, but here's an interview (without subs)

Some people say that the dress feels very unmodern. I personally don't mind that unmodern feel, it's looks very classy and edgy on her! ♥ The V neck line looks very pretty on her. She also wore some fake hair swept into a ponytail. Hopefully I get to see her in a pixie cut again though ^^¨ 

Is it the same dress that Song Hye Kyo supposedly wore on last year's BIFF?

actor-song-hyekyo-is-photographed-on-apr

Sources: 
http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/10/2016-busan-international-film-festivals-opening-red-carpet/
http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Park+So-Dam/21st+Busan+International+Film+Festival+Opening/9AisVycvZbr

• Like 6

So Dam won Best Supporting Actress for The Priests at the 24th Buil Film Awards (this ceremony is part of the Busan International Film Festival btw)!!!! So happy for her! :blush:

201610071846772007_57f76fd062660_99_2016

Red Carpet and she's back to her short hair ^^

2016100718130740935_1.jpg

Spoiler

201610071842591120_1_99_20161007185710.j

1475842636-78-org.jpg

I think I like her black dress more but she still looks lovely in pink. Her k-fans call her Fairy So Dam...I can totally see why. <3

@juliacaesar kyahhhh THANKS SO MUCH <3 <3 <3 I love both hehe *saves immediately* SoDam-ie sends you hearts as well. 

201610061235773926_57f5c7079958b_99_2016

(at the airport on her way to Busan fyi)

And may the kdrama/kmovie gods hear your ideas. ;) I'll anticipate~

• Like 7

@bjvipb2uty Maybe I should send the idea to some PD Lee and see what would happen B) hehehe

I have taken noticed that while many comment on how she doesn't have the facial features like other actresses do, she isn't as skinny as some actresses can be either! First of all, I'm not saying that being skinny is anything wrong (except if it can endanger your health), but we see many striving to look very skinny, especially in the celebrity world. Neither in that department, Sodam seems to obey much either on that which is so nice to see! She doesn't look "bony", but looks healthy and her body is slamming, if I may say so myself lolol. Geez, is there a part of her looks and spirit that I'm NOT jealous of?

Just because I just thought about the lack of emotes there are available on the Soompi forum, here's an idea: Park Sodam emotes/stickers. I mean I studied graphical design in school but I'm not confident enough to do it myself, but maybe there's someone here who is willing to do something? Maybe emotes inspired by her different project, since she seems to be growing out her hair? We'll see, we'll see...

Another piece of clothing from the BIFF. I personally like seeing a jacket with pantsas a formal wear for women, since you see dresses so much. I wonder how this would have looked like if the buttons were unbottoned (?) and with a different top? Hm...

Nice fan art of her first dress for the BIFF:

• Like 7

What if Eun Hawon took Soo's character in Scarlet Heart? 

SO much yes to this! I do love IU in SH, but I can't help but also wonder... My answer to this question would be the 4th Prince - So. Hawon was drawn to the secretive and lonely soul Jiwoon in Cinderella, which is exactly the kind of guy that So is as well. But Jiwoon IS a bit warmer than So, if I may say so myself, so who knows...

• Like 4

Congrats to Park So-dam for winning at the Buil Film Awards! I'm liking how she's rocking the short hair and she looks great on the red carpet.

Also, I skimmed the last episode of Cinderella and the Four Knights. Loved her kiss with Jung Il-woo, and they had good chemistry. I'm glad they were both responsive kissers.

• Like 6

I watched Run Off 2 and bawled my eyes out. ㅠㅠ When/If you guys watch it please prepare tissues in advance.....well if you're like me then you'll need them... So Dam and Soo Ae did amazing in their scenes together. I won't say more so as not to spoil but watch it guys.

Btw Hyun Suk Joo, is that you? ^_^ That makes it the third project that they're both in, although they didn't film together for Run Off.

fYuzfd9h.jpg

In other news, they screened The Priests at the Busan Festival. Ofc Park So Dam made an appearance. I do wonder where her co-stars are. Did they not attend the festival at all? I don't recall seeing them on the red carpet. Hm.. Anywho I can't help not share pics of So Dam-nim~ At the screening + some interview pics.

1475917445_1167561.jpg

Spoiler

1475918191_1167570.jpg

201610081735316710_3.jpg

201610081735316710_2.jpg

201610081735316710_1.jpg

I think one of the things that made me like So Dam was seeing how she loves herself. Through her interviews you can perceive how she embraces herself, including her looks. I too dislike how reporters/mcs always bring out her 'different looks,' but I'm super happy that she has managed to continually accept herself as she is (she's gorgeous imo XD) even when there is tons of pressure from the industry to fit a certain mold. I'm sure it's not easy but she's still the Park So Dam from the beginning. :heart:

The lack of emoticons on soompi is the reason why sometimes I use the fox gifs but I've been too lazy to use them lately. Now...if we had So Dam emoticons I'd use them haha but I won't even try making them~

• Like 6

There are lots of updates from PSD's IG, but I decided to pick one that I particularly LOVED! 

(some) casts of last year's drama BITFT had a little reunion! Song Yi with Yoon "Taeng" and Hoon :heart:  When I first saw that the three of them all attended the BIFF, I could only hope that the three of them would reunite in some way, and here it is! Ahh loving it. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

So Dam for The Star (November '16)

My faves are the one with glasses and the b&w one where she has her eyes closed. :heart:

I was lazy to post the pictures using the link so I just copy/pasted from our SoDaminLove blog but idk if everyone can see the images well????? Anyways I put them all under a spoiler since they're big images.

Spoiler

ebb095ec868ceb8bb96-jpg.jpeg?w=636

1477440885-79-org1.jpg?w=636

ebb095ec868ceb8bb48-jpg1.jpeg?w=636

201610260801349383099_20161026080312_03_

ebb095ec868ceb8bb93-jpg1.jpeg?w=636

ebb095ec868ceb8bb94-jpg1.jpeg?w=636

ebb095ec868ceb8bb92-jpg1.jpeg?w=636

ebb095ec868ceb8bb47-jpg1.jpeg?w=636

ebb095ec868ceb8bb4-jpg1.jpeg?w=636

cr: 카라멜ent. 김서윤; 더스타 (The Star)

• Like 5