[Official Thread] Baron Chen/River Chen - a.k.a Du Zifeng of "Bromance" (Taiwan Artist)

pechumori

52 minutes ago, JennG25ks said:

@pechumori or anyone else who may know what is the meaning/cultural reference for the Chinese saying about the partner's turn and the boat? I feel it was s big insult?  Maybe I am not understanding the saying. Thanks in advance.  

@JennG25ks, sorry, I am more familiar with "the tables have turned" meaning things have reversed. if you were up then, you are in the bottom now. just like karma. don't know if the turning of the boat saying has the same meaning.

River's "Race the World" promotional photo. :wub:
credit as tagged
 be952792jw1f2w5x1kkmdj20j60sr772.jpg

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest photo update from River's official weibo 4/14/16  (looking like Sherlock Holmes :) )

Wonder if I got this right. please correct me if I'm wrong.

早醒来发现头髮捲起来,一定是睡梦中太紧张流汗导致。没办法,英伦站对我太重要,为了不被淘汰,只好让那位头脑最好的附身了,今天比智力不比!

Woke up early to discover the hair got rolled up, nervous sweat must have led to a short sleep. No way, the British station is too important for me, in order not to be eliminated. Have to let the best minds take possession, intelligence more than looks today. (?)

He is in danger of being eliminated...fighting, River! Jia you!

6fbc4121jw1f2w9axknpzj20qo0zkhdt.jpg

4 hours ago, JennG25ks said:

@pechumori or anyone else who may know what is the meaning/cultural reference for the Chinese saying about the partner's turn and the boat? I feel it was s big insult?  Maybe I am not understanding the saying. Thanks in advance.  

Hi, @JennG25ks

the original phrase from the article states  “搭档的小船说翻就翻啊,说这话得有多大的仇?"

It's a comment by a netizen in reference to River saying  "I have a one track mind, even if i know she wants me to coax her, I will not coax her, I am this kind of person." (translation from @pechumori). I interpreted it as: as partners, you're in the same boat so the netizen was saying 'how much hatred (that's a strong word :p) does River have to say such things so much as to "flip the boat" so easily-> turning away from his partner.' (something like that, kinda difficult to explain explicitly but hope I made things a bit clearer)

@pechumori Thanks for the translation and for setting up this thread :D

Having said that, I feel that we need to take articles with a pinch of salt since there may be bias present. Also, the article reported netizens' comments (actually the whole issue was brought up due to netizens' comments). Harsh things were said by netizens on River's side and harsh things were said by netizens on River's partner(Zhuzhu)'s side. Ultimately, the show was edited and we never know what actually happened to both of them - whether they really have animosity towards each other or if the show was edited to make things more interesting for viewers. I watched the 1st episode and I must point out that both River and Zhuzhu were professional enough to work with each other (and continue to) even though they had different viewpoints. I feel like both of them just had different viewpoints and purpose for joining the show. Even though the show is about winning and getting into the top 8, and some things Zhuzhu said were controversial (e.g. her partner needs to change his attitude to fit hers(?) I can't remember what she said exactly but it's along those lines, don't quote me though), I don't see that Zhuzhu is extremely wrong in just wanting to participate and not place emphasis on winning.

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, autumntree said:

the show was edited to make things more interesting for viewers.

I think this is true in most reality shows.

the original phrase from the article states  “搭档的小船说翻就翻啊,说这话得有多大的仇?"

It's a comment by a netizen in reference to River saying  "I have a one track mind, even if i know she wants me to coax her, I will not coax her, I am this kind of person." (translation from @pechumori). I interpreted it as: as partners, you're in the same boat so the netizen was saying 'how much hatred (that's a strong word :p) does River have to say such things so much as to "flip the boat" -> turning away from his partner.' (something like that, kinda difficult to explain explicitly but hope I made things a bit clearer)

@pechumori Thanks for the translation and for setting up this thread :D

@autumntree thank you so much for the explanation. i guess the show is creating a lot of media hype about the relationship of River and Zhu Zhu so that more viewers would be interested to watch the show.

And thank you for joining us here in River's thread.  :D

@pechumori No worries with the explanation! With language, it's always difficult when things are not as literal as it appears. You're good with the translations! May I know where you're from and if you learnt Mandarin? :)

Thank you for the welcome to the River thread :) He's really cute, interesting and his eyes are so mesmerizing :wub:

15 minutes ago, autumntree said:

@pechumori No worries with the explanation! With language, it's always difficult when things are not as literal as it appears. You're good with the translations! May I know where you're from and if you learnt Mandarin?

Thank you so much. Like most of the "Bromance" shippers...I too am from the Philippines.  I have a Chinese surname, but unfortunately was not able to learn the language. ;)

15 minutes ago, autumntree said:

Thank you for the welcome to the River thread :) He's really cute, interesting and his eyes are so mesmerizing 

The eyes caught my attention at first, then the cute and interesting 4D personality followed later.  :wub:

@JennG25ks you're welcome :D

@jbying7 @pechumori @autumntree thank you all for the translations! :heart:

7 hours ago, pechumori said:

Latest "Race the World" update. (I have noticed, that since River is the most popular among the contestants in weibo, the press release of the program has mostly been about him)  ;)

and I have a feeling that they're trying to make things between River and his partner a bit more dramatic than it actually was :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, pechumori said:

The latest photo update from River's official weibo 4/14/16  (looking like Sherlock Holmes :) )

Now my favorite Sherlock has shifted from Benedict Cumberbatch to River Chen! :wub:

Race the World official Weibo has released the lyrics of the theme song, finally I can stop guessing :P

Race%20the%20World%20theme%20song%20lyri

official link to the song --> http://m.qingting.fm/vchannels/114266/programs/4217576

1:46 Tang Xiao Tian -> 1:49 River -> 1:54 River+Xiao Tian
I hope I get it right this time, but still, I couldn't really separate his voice from XT's, they sound so much alike to me. :sweatingbullets:

7 hours ago, JennG25ks said:

Based on the articles translation of that phrase its saying: "if the boat has to flip then let it flip, why does there need to be so much hatred?" referring to their partnership. Its not an insult at all , but sometimes one might encounter a situation where the problem cant be fixed so just let it be the way it is. And thats reality, somethings/ or some people just dont work out :/ Hope this helps!!

translation app/help from others? :)

I use an app. it's easy for the news but it's hard for the comments specially if they use slang words.

Thank you for the photo.  :blush:

1 hour ago, catrisa said:

and I have a feeling that they're trying to make things between River and his partner a bit more dramatic than it actually was

i think at first the news articles were inclined to stir up something romantic between them....as they said "a handsome guy and a beauty would match", but they did not expect things to turn out differently, so making the friction bigger than it is to create interest is what the production crew and the media are doing right now. From what I've learned from the K drama "Producer" which deals about the producers in charge of handling reality shows, they take a lot of footage from the celebrity contestants, but the hardest thing for the producer is to edit that footage and choose the meaty ones, and add the graphics to spice it up. sometimes what seems trivial may turn out big depending on the way they present the story. so going back to what you said, they are making it more dramatic than it actually was.

and thank you so much for the lyrics of the song and the official link.

so you have a new Sherlock now? ;)

26 minutes ago, amyam01220 said:

Based on the articles translation of that phrase its saying: "if the boat has to flip then let it flip, why does there need to be so much hatred?" referring to their partnership. Its not an insult at all , but sometimes one might encounter a situation where the problem cant be fixed so just let it be the way it is. And thats reality, somethings/ or some people just dont work out :/ Hope this helps!!

thank you for the explanation @amyam01220. i agree with the last sentence...so true.

@catrisa No worries!

1 hour ago, amyam01220 said:

@amyam01220 That would be a nice explanation that I would choose to believe although based on the context it appeared in the article, it might not be the case (hope that doesn't offend you!). Anyhow, it's a much more peaceful explanation :) And I agree with @pechumori on the last sentence. 

Is there a translation thing you can use with the website? :) I used to have this google translate pop-up happen when websites are not in English but not anymore (not that google translate is really accurate)

@pechumori That seems like a great translation app, may I know what it is?

@pechumori thank you for taking time to answer my 2 am insomniac question.  Oh my land River as Sherlock is well awesome.  Thanks for keeping us updated on his activities.

@autumntree and @catrisa thank you both for further clarifying that for me.  Idioms in other languages are really hard to understand sometimes.

I have tried really hard not to be negative about River's first partner, but honestly as women it is annoying when other women go on physical game shows but aren't really into competing or doing their best.  If you are going on a competitive show I think you should be at the very minimum willing to do your best and take it seriously.  I also believe like @pechumori that the producers were hoping for a romantic scandal and when that didn't happen helped stir the pot for ratings off of normal differing points of view and personalities.  It worked too right?  We are talking about it and human interaction makes the show more interesting.  Just annoying that it is highlighted for sensational headlines.

3 hours ago, autumntree said:

@catrisa No worries!

@amyam01220 That would be a nice explanation that I would choose to believe although based on the context it appeared in the article, it might not be the case (hope that doesn't offend you!). Anyhow, it's a much more peaceful explanation :) And I agree with @pechumori

hi @autumntree welcome to the threads! I saw your posting on the other forum as well. Sorry! When I did my rough explanation on that part i didnt realize that you had also explained it :) Sorry to jump in on it ^^

Anyhow, glad to have you as part of the translatons team, looking forward to your works. im fluent in Cantonese, but self learned Mandarin through friends and everyone around me speaking it, and my reading skills are alright. Sometimes though, I hesitate to translate for everyone here cuz im worried it will be lost in translation especially when I dont know the meaning of certain phrases or ideas! So welcome again :) and thanks ahead of time!! 

I think ya all do awesome in translating, specially for some of us that don't understand a single word... LoI I really appreciate everything ya do in this page. Actually I love this page,  soo glad some how I found ya... Being so up to date with everything Baron do and say is awesome and all thanks to all of ya ....:)

6 hours ago, autumntree said:

Is there a translation thing you can use with the website? :) I used to have this google translate pop-up happen when websites are not in English but not anymore (not that google translate is really accurate)

@pechumori That seems like a great translation app, may I know what it is?

i'm using google and the baidu translator. they basically say the same thing. it's up to you to read between the lines and to juggle the words because really, there is no online translator that would give a translation with the perfect grammar

thank you @autumntree for being here and helping us understand the news more from your knowledge of Mandarin.

8 hours ago, autumntree said:

Are you currently learning the language or using some kind of translation app/help from others? :)

i feel it's embarrassing to ask other people who are not fans of River to translate news about him.  ^_^

3 hours ago, JennG25ks said:

@pechumori thank you for taking time to answer my 2 am insomniac question.  Oh my land River as Sherlock is well awesome.  Thanks for keeping us updated on his activities.

@autumntree and @catrisa thank you both for further clarifying that for me.  Idioms in other languages are really hard to understand sometimes.

I have tried really hard not to be negative about River's first partner, but honestly as women it is annoying when other women go on physical game shows but aren't really into competing or doing their best.  If you are going on a competitive show I think you should be at the very minimum willing to do your best and take it seriously.  I also believe like @pechumori that the producers were hoping for a romantic scandal and when that didn't happen helped stir the pot for ratings off of normal differing points of view and personalities.  It worked too right?  We are talking about it and human interaction makes the show more interesting.  Just annoying that it is highlighted for sensational headlines.

You're welcome @JennG25ks.

Yes we are talking about it. lol. I just found it really funny when Zhu Zhu wanted to hold River's hand in the first task of walking sideways and River refused.  He is showing his real personality, he doesn't like women doing the initiative, even if it has something to do with the contest. Although I do agree with the reason he gave, based from what I understand from his body language, that it would be easier to balance his body if he will not hold her hand.

2 hours ago, amyam01220 said:

Anyhow, glad to have you as part of the translatons team, looking forward to your works. im fluent in Cantonese, but self learned Mandarin through friends and everyone around me speaking it, and my reading skills are alright. Sometimes though, I hesitate to translate for everyone here cuz im worried it will be lost in translation especially when I dont know the meaning of certain phrases or ideas! So welcome again :) and thanks ahead of time!! 

that is my worry too, if i get lost in translation. some news are worded simply, but i think interviews are harder.

@amyam01220 I am grateful for all the translations you've done for "Bromance"

2 hours ago, launicachina09 said:

I think ya all do awesome in translating, specially for some of us that don't understand a single word... LoI I really appreciate everything ya do in this page. Actually I love this page,  soo glad some how I found ya... Being so up to date with everything Baron do and say is awesome and all thanks to all of ya

Thank you for appreciating the effort @launicachina09

and thank you to all the translators who took the time and effort to translate the news and interviews for us. because of you, we have grown to love River and Megan more.

@JennG25ks No worries at all. For me, when I read in English and Mandarin, I just understand it since it's been a part of me since young, I'm pretty accurate in guessing from context and picking up clues to know the meaning (Taiwan, China and Korea just keep coming up with new terms and slang phrases :sweatingbullets:), although there are Mandarin idioms that get to me as well (nothing Google can't solve). Idioms in general are difficult! :lol: I'll be completely lost in other languages. 

@amyam01220 Thanks for the welcome! I've been seeing your translations on the 3 threads and they are fantastic translations! Hoping I'll reach that level someday B) No, please don't feel apologetic, I'm the one jumping into this and it's always great to see various explanations :D It's great that you know Cantonese, my friend has been trying to teach me just the pronunciation and I can never get it precisely :blink:

3 hours ago, amyam01220 said:

Sometimes though, I hesitate to translate for everyone here cuz im worried it will be lost in translation especially when I dont know the meaning of certain phrases or ideas!

Me too! For me, I'll be worried about humour, phrases and ideas being lost in translation which is something that occurs often so I add in annoying notes in between to try to explain :P  Since I need translation for Japanese and Korean stuff too, I understand how it feels to want to know what our idols are talking about so I'll still try to translate :D

@launicachina09 I'm glad to have found this thread and the main Bromance + pairing thread too! Everyone is like a huge family and it feels great to be able to spazz with each other :P

@pechumori Thanks for answering all my questions :D 

38 minutes ago, pechumori said:

i feel it's embarrassing to ask other people who are not fans of River to translate news about him.  ^_^

I agree :sweatingbullets: I got my friend to watch Bromance with me but she didn't get into it as much as I did. I still throw in bits of inside jokes from Bromance whenever we are chatting to fulfill my inner fangirl :phew:

It's amazing how much analysis and discussion everyone can generate from various things River said and does. It's useful and good to see all the different opinions, keep it coming guys! :grin:

I think the 2nd episode of the Race the World is coming out this weekend.

Thank you for the promotional photos @hyukjaeismine

The second episode of "Race the World" airs tonight at 10 pm.
We all know what the angle of the news will be, so, let's just look at the photo updates.

credit: http://ent.ifeng.com/a/20160415/42605755_0.shtml

http://ent.people.com.cn/n1/2016/0415/c1012-28279607.html

7ed5e8d4-5c8c-4bac-99b4-ea563c11948f_siz

MAIN201604151148000591722287300.JPG

sexy River :wub:

Archived