[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] Love O2O 微微一笑很倾城

sugarplum892

I adore the movie version. And sorry, but I think BR is just hot. Totally fits my taste even when it is robbing the cradle :sweatingbullets:. And to be honest he is the way better actor than YY was then. Probably also partly because of the directing who was a bit weird in the Drama (the entire drama setting felt off and the hero was too perfect). AB who is marked as flower vase who can't act, truly can in this movie. She is incredible cute, dorky and even nerdy. A true WeiWei. Sorry but decent and overly shy Drama WeiWei I imagine rather brush her hair and cook instead be interested in computers or games. I'm curious if ZS had created an equal WeiWei when she was allowed to.

I really feel sad that there isn't any DVD from this movie available anywhere. I surely would rewatch it one time every year :wub:. And no, having a stream is not the same :phew:.

20 hours ago, angelangie said:

i will pick only happy ending for you lols :P 

Thank you. Sometimes I just want to have straight-up, no-nonsense, no-brainer happy endings.

In real life, I would have no use for a guy like Xiao Nai  but in my dreamscape (dream + escape world), sure why not?

It's a good thing that the girl is in the same business so they'll have something in common. But if she's in a different but equally demanding profession, say, the medical or legal field, which has its own track and hierarchy, then it'll be ridiculously hard to have a marriage without one of them yielding to the other. The heroine is willing to have her career take a backseat because they are both working towards the same goal: designing a game. However, a resident in the hospital or a clerk at the Supreme Court won't have the same luxury of putting her career on hold.... 

I’m not going to comment about the actors’ acting skills or physical beauty because that’s entirely up to viewers’ taste. Each reviewer will have his/her preferences, and since I’m not Asian and this is only my … hmmm… second? third? Chinese drama, I don’t want to be accused of being racist. :lol: 

One of my complaints about the story is the diminished financial literacy of the heroine. I like that she asserts her financial independence in the beginning, but towards the end, when she joins his company as an unpaid intern and later, as his life partner, she seems to regress and to allow him to make the financial decisions for them as a couple. 

While I understand that this story is pure romance, I'm concerned that this kind of arrangement sends a wrong message to young women to assume the traditional and dependent role. That is, let the big man deal with the money matters, and the little woman shouldn’t worry her head about it.  :crazy:  This mindset is fine and dandy because we're watching a romance, but in real life, this way of thinking isn’t optimal especially with this generation of working women.  

In the real world, I would add have added a caveat or a warning to the rom-com. To me, if the girl is going to help out significantly and take a daily role in the company after their marriage, then she should also have a voice in the business decisions (instead of just being a sounding board) and specific shares in the business profits.

True, it is Nai’s company but perhaps a limited liability company (LLC) will work after their marriage, so they can protect their large personal assets from any potential liabilities, like business debts. Moreover, if something happens to him, she should be able to step in and make decisions on his behalf for the company. 

But then, all this is my VERY unromantic side talking, so feel free to ignore my unsolicited advice. :D

Will wait to hear more recommendations from you. No rush because the other ladies and I are still gushing over this one. lol. 

• Like 1

Okay, I'll put that movie in the queue.  Thanks!

I found the long hair of the male avatars in the game spooky.  It took me awhile to get used to them visually.  Thank goodness, the hair wasn't stringy and disheveled. I dislike greasy and messy hair on my actors. I feel like sticking my hand through the screen and running a comb through their hair. 

I've gotten used to kdrama style of acting but since this is a new world to me, I'm keeping an open mind when it comes to acting. It's kinda like ballet. Even if the Bolshoi company and the Mariinsky (or Kirov) company are both Russian, there are differences that I connect with each one. For me, Bolshoi is more powerful and passionate ballet with exuberance and Mariinsky is more about elegance and refinement, and emoting feelings even just with the finger and wrist movements. 

So same thing with dramas and the directors' different style and approach. I'm patiently waiting till C-drama clicks with me. :) I'll learn...

On 2/17/2019 at 12:16 AM, angelangie said:

lols

u should continue.....the whole campus girls will always go gaga just looking at him :D 

lol. That's the part I didn't really like. I mean, is not like he is a goddess?! lol jk.

I do love the bromance between ZZB's character and the one friend though :)!!!

• LOL 1

9 hours ago, rosierosie said:

lol. That's the part I didn't really like. I mean, is not like he is a goddess?! lol jk.

I do love the bromance between ZZB's character and the one friend though :)!!!

Funny thing is that this is the only Drama I found ZBB looking hot. And the Bromance was so hillarious. They would have made such a believable couple. :w00t:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, angelangie said:

really....i found him hot in Peach Blossom :D 

back then i didnt even knew he was ZBB

Yes, he was hot in PB!!! I thought he was gonna be the lead in PB!! His acting was good and he is handsome in the first few episodes of PB, he got me hooked!! And then I saw Yehua, and everything changes lol. He was good in The Flame's Daughter too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm new around here. I found this series by accident as the premise reminded me a little of Memories of Alhambra. I was very surprised to find that this show had nothing in common with the typical "drama."  It was the first time I watched a modern Chinese series. This led me to read the translated novel and watch the movie on youtube.  

First off, I was sort of distracted by the fact that there was only one kind of beer/wine, cell phone, and that they all drank fruit juice instead of water.  Was this product placement or is there only one kind of everything in China?  Sorry, if this is ignorant.

So the translated novel did not have nearly as much "drama" as the series.  I definitely could have done without watching that insufferable Er Xi or Meng Yiran or Cao Gong stuff.  None of that was as prominent in the novel and it was better for it.  I guess it was necessary to pad the show?  I ended up just fast forwarding any time Er Xi or Yiran came on the screen.  They were both too stupid and annoying. 

Coming from a more Western culture, the Wei Wei in the movie was definitely much more appealing.  I agree with above that the one in the series was too goody goody and as above had no sex appeal where she did have some when described in the novel.  I agree that she was too much a "statue." I feel like part of this was a failing of the actress and part of it was a failing of the writing.  It was just too patriarchal. At least in the movie, Wei Wei participated in making the game so she wasn't just a wife who bought everyone lunch. I know this was how Wei Wei was written in the novel but it just but it just made it less interesting.  Also the Xiao Nai in the movie was a throw away and did nothing appealing.  That said, I don't think the movie Wei Wei and the series Xiao Nai would have worked so I don't really have a solution.

One thing I did like was the portrayal of Wei Wei's parents in the series which I don't recall was in the book.

Overall, this was a pleasant surprise and I did enjoy the romance of the protagonists.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, turtlebaby said:

First off, I was sort of distracted by the fact that there was only one kind of beer/wine, cell phone, and that they all drank fruit juice instead of water.  Was this product placement or is there only one kind of everything in China?  Sorry, if this is ignorant.

Definitely product placement.  :) 

• LOL 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I watched the drama n read the novel (enjoyed immensely) but not the movie (reviews were meh). I thought ZBB n YY were phenomenal. Hehe.

Now I am wondering if I should give the movie a go after reading the recent, more positive comments about it. 

Hmm...YouTube right?

• LOL 1

23 hours ago, rocat said:

I watched the drama n read the novel (enjoyed immensely) but not the movie (reviews were meh). I thought ZBB n YY were phenomenal. Hehe.

Now I am wondering if I should give the movie a go after reading the recent, more positive comments about it. 

Hmm...YouTube right?

Movie is more focused on the main casts thus less development on the supporting casts.  Drama puts a bit more on supporting casts, giving us the feelings of friendships.  If you are not nitpicking on those, it will be ok.  Can’t compare 1 hour plus show vs a 30 episodes drama.

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2019 at 3:35 AM, rocat said:

Hmm...YouTube right?

On netflix. :)

I only watched half of the movie. The actress was pretty but the guy looked plebeian. Will have to bribe myself with ice cream just to finish it. Will review it (sometime this lifetime, lol) and give a 5-point comparison between movie and drama. I have to limit myself to 5 because you know how obsessive I can get. 

I think drama is more faithful to the novel than the movie, including the characterization of the heroine. 

See you later! 

• Love 1

12 hours ago, packmule3 said:

On netflix. :)

I only watched half of the movie. The actress was pretty but the guy looked plebeian. Will have to bribe myself with ice cream just to finish it. Will review it (sometime this lifetime, lol) and give a 5-point comparison between movie and drama. I have to limit myself to 5 because you know how obsessive I can get. 

I think drama is more faithful to the novel than the movie, including the characterization of the heroine. 

See you later! 

Haha...I know who Angelababy is but I must go look up the guy again. I think I agree with you thou cos he leaves no impression on me. 

To me, XN is the handsome YY. My brain refuses anyone lesser.

i think i’ll put this on hold for a bit longer....

• LOL 1

On 5/11/2019 at 3:35 PM, rocat said:

Hmm...YouTube right?

it's a forgettable movie. The ML doesn't really fit the look of the character. Angelababy is beautiful but her acting was superficial and overdone in places.

Spoiler

I guess the movie may be more realistic in that the ML gets conned because of his inexperience whereas in the drama, he is too smart to let that happen to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 12:20 AM, angelangie said:

i didnt read the novel....u did it?

I  only read the translations, not the actual novel itself because, as you know, Chinese isn't my first language or my second, third, fourth, fifth... unlike you multi-lingual ladies here. :)

I read at least two different translations after I've written my blog posts. I didn't want to be influenced by the writer's novel so I only read the translations after I've blogged about most of the episodes. You see, the original writer's novel may be different from the screenwriter's script which, in turn, will be different from the viewer's interpretation.

I had to read more than one translation. Because the style, flow, and the language proficiency of the two translations were different, I could determine whether I'm missing a certain nuance or translation of the original writer's novel. 

See? I did my due diligence. :)

On 5/16/2019 at 1:00 PM, bluehibiscus said:

it's a forgettable movie. The ML doesn't really fit the look of the character. Angelababy is beautiful but her acting was superficial and overdone in places.

Hide contents

I guess the movie may be more realistic in that the ML gets conned because of his inexperience whereas in the drama, he is too smart to let that happen to him.

The movie's okay. :)  The story's still interesting. But as I said it’s not faithful to the original novel. I

f you want one example of the difference between the movie and tv versions vis-à-vis the novel, I just completed one post about it here:

https://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/05/24/love-o2o-the-movie-vs-the-tv-drama

I’m sorry you’ll have to visit my blog for it because I don’t have time to transfer everything including the pictures here. I''m behind with my blog posts on the Chinese dramas, "Put Your Head on my Shoulder" and "Le Coup de Foudre."  lol. I'm being asked to post on "Abyss" and "Angel's Last Mission: Love", too. So many dramas, so little time. 

Tagging @rocat . 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/17/2019 at 4:02 AM, caranita said:

I quite enjoyed Love O2O when it was airing, but TBH I like the movie version better. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Angelababy portrays a more convincing Wei Wei than Zheng Shuang. And Jing Boran is just effortlessly cool.

I admit this is how I feel now after getting over my period of being smitten with the drama Love O2O. I feel that even though the story was very short in the movie, the main leads felt more human. The male lead in the movie grew on me. He felt a tad bit more down to earth. Angelababy’s Wei Wei was more spunky and felt real and their skinship scenes didn’t feel or seem awkward to me.

As to the drama, of course Yang Yang is love. He’s so handsome in that show. However, I’m forced to admit that his level of unapproachability was very high. In other words, he felt too perfect and sometimes unreal. My complaint about drama Wei Wei is that it’s like she’s cringing when Yang Yang’s Xiao Nai kissed her in his office or sometimes when he gets close. I get that she’s shy to an extent but the vibe of physical rejection (from the actress it seems like) was nevertheless present and kind of ruins the moment(s) for the couple in my eyes. Still, I have watched that drama several times but can’t bring myself to watch it lately because of those instances where the actress kinda ruins the love moments.

• 3 months later...

hello all,

i thank netflix for having chinese drama and movies in their collection.. just wow.. its just so comfortable to read the english translation. most of chinese drama in fansubbing site are generally auto-translated and giving me headache to understand the words..

been binge-watching this and i am super happy !!

one of reader here comparing this drama with pride and prejudice .. hahaha .. i also compare it to pride n prejudice in terms having movie and drama version..  when you want to indulge on details you watch the drama. but when you want to enjoy the pace / the realistic setting you watch the movie. loving both..

also like it because there is no makjang plot .. this is something that can happen in real life. although real world guy with good looks, ability to play game and success in career in something that I never found. 

really like the gaming world setting.. i watched the movie first and totally like the gaming setting .. and when i watched the drama.. the cgi is quite good actually.

love men with long hair.. oh my god !! its fun to watch the costume setting without having a traditional palace-king setup story.. how come the korean drama didnt replicate this setting in their drama ?? haha..

i want this setting again !!

the movie setup for the BWW career is better than drama setup. The movie gives impression that BWW also lead n run the company... but when i read the novel (translation) - the author seems to prefer more domestic setting for BWW..

also really like the plot/ scripts.. i think the writer really put effort on detail knowledge real world student, gaming world.. the three musketeer (guys) really livening up the drama.. their banters are really entertaining.. the girls banters also entertaining.. really down to earth banter..

Yang Yang when dressed in gaming world .. remind me of someone.. mark chao in eternal love (?) i think..  since Yang Yang did the movie version.. i'll try to watch this too..

yes i wished SZ was more relaxed during intimate scene with YY...

I am really really enjoying this Netflix !!

• 7 months later...

I've watched the movie version and about 2/3 into the TV version. The movie version had a more appealing Weiwei for me but was meh overall. The TV version has a better and more rounded story but in my opinion the chemistry between the two leads is lacking.

I skipped a lot of scenes in the last two episodes as they are getting too cheesy. I'm surprised why they changed the demo presentation arc in the movie. I prefer the way they found a way around the malicious problem in the TV version versus the way they were cheated in the movie version. 

This is my personal opinion but I cringe a bit every time they say Weiwei is very beautiful as most of the time it is over the top. The actress playing her is not bad looking but I find the actress playing Zhao Erxi more appealing. Even the actresses playing Meng Yiran and Yu Yao are as least at par if not slightly more appealing than the lead actress. 

• Like 1