Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] Love O2O 微微一笑很倾城

Hi I'm new around here. I found this series by accident as the premise reminded me a little of Memories of Alhambra. I was very surprised to find that this show had nothing in common with the typical "drama."  It was the first time I watched a modern Chinese series. This led me to read the translated novel and watch the movie on youtube.  

First off, I was sort of distracted by the fact that there was only one kind of beer/wine, cell phone, and that they all drank fruit juice instead of water.  Was this product placement or is there only one kind of everything in China?  Sorry, if this is ignorant.

So the translated novel did not have nearly as much "drama" as the series.  I definitely could have done without watching that insufferable Er Xi or Meng Yiran or Cao Gong stuff.  None of that was as prominent in the novel and it was better for it.  I guess it was necessary to pad the show?  I ended up just fast forwarding any time Er Xi or Yiran came on the screen.  They were both too stupid and annoying. 

Coming from a more Western culture, the Wei Wei in the movie was definitely much more appealing.  I agree with above that the one in the series was too goody goody and as above had no sex appeal where she did have some when described in the novel.  I agree that she was too much a "statue." I feel like part of this was a failing of the actress and part of it was a failing of the writing.  It was just too patriarchal. At least in the movie, Wei Wei participated in making the game so she wasn't just a wife who bought everyone lunch. I know this was how Wei Wei was written in the novel but it just but it just made it less interesting.  Also the Xiao Nai in the movie was a throw away and did nothing appealing.  That said, I don't think the movie Wei Wei and the series Xiao Nai would have worked so I don't really have a solution.

One thing I did like was the portrayal of Wei Wei's parents in the series which I don't recall was in the book.

Overall, this was a pleasant surprise and I did enjoy the romance of the protagonists.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, turtlebaby said:

First off, I was sort of distracted by the fact that there was only one kind of beer/wine, cell phone, and that they all drank fruit juice instead of water.  Was this product placement or is there only one kind of everything in China?  Sorry, if this is ignorant.

Definitely product placement.  :) 

• LOL 2