[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] When A Snail Falls in Love 如果蜗牛有爱情

sugarplum892

The most interesting thing to come out of Ep 15 for me is the contrast between the two women and perhaps the drama is saying something quite fundamental about policing... and that is it's 10% physical strength and 90% mental stamina. Because at the end of the day, even with the best skills in the world... if the mind can't get it together, even the body in the best shape is incapable of doing what's necessary. However, when the mind is firing at full capacity, resolute and ready to do what it takes, the body will fall in line. Perhaps it isn't just about policing but an all-of-life philosophy that's applicable to any kind of profession. To be made of sterner stuff, resilience must begin in the mind.

Spoiler

YM has always been the idealist... wanting to do her bit for society and put away the bad guys. I think she believed that if she did the right thing, the right kind of results will follow. But she was faced with an unexpected scenario... mistakes were made, people died and she (probably for the first time) felt the weight of what it means to be a cop... to hold the power of life and death in one's hands. Mistakes for cops are deadly and all the good intentions in the world cannot erase that or change that. Her physical prowess belied a naivete that was totally unprepared to deal with the consequences when the balance of good vs evil tips in favour of the latter.

No doubt the slow burn in the romance has been really well done in terms of how natural the progression has been. It starts first and foremost with the job. The job makes demands of both of them and forces them to deal with deep-seated issues, finding in each other an important source of strength. Perhaps the recent crisis was in part needed so that the student-teacher dynamic would finally give way to something more intimate and deeper. That is, to bring to the surface what's already brewing just below.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@gracebkk  I felt so torn watching them all blame themselves where I believe the casualty that occurred would have still happened. I feel that YM should not have gotten ahead of herself and went after Brother Lu by herself. Chasing a criminal must be done with assistance and she should have waited for back up. I think the trainees should have been there only as an observer. Ji Bai told YM to not let herself get emotional but because of her confidence she miscalculated the risk of everyone around her. I feel bad for YM because now she is suffering from PTSD. I wonder how long will she be out of the crime fighting business. I feel bad for Xu Xu and Ji Bai because the people around them and they themselves have such high expectations. I believe mistakes happen because it is life and you can't always expect thinks to always go the way they want them too. 

@bebebisous33 Chingu your right Xu Xu  knows her weaknesses and is working hard to achieving this goal. Xu Xu finally sees the reason why Ji Bai wanted her to fit physically. She knew she needed it but now she sees for herself that her inability to protect herself can hurt her team, civilians and herself . 

@40somethingahjumma..Chingu , well said and I agree with other you on Yao Meng personality. I enjoyed Yao Meng new personality but she was to emotional, aggressive and way to eager. She is a great fighter and physically fit and a sweet friend to our Xu Xu. But mentally as a trainee she still had a lot to learn but she didn't really listen to people's advice because of her confidence. Zhao Han saw right thru her and always looking out for her but he should have tried much harder in explaining to her to be more cautious in this line of work. Yao Men only looked at her he aspect of saving lives but not the fact that there are truly bad people out there. People who have no problems to Kipling people just to get what they want.

You know technically PTSD is only diagnosed AFTER  another similar incidence occurs. It is a difficult diagnosis to give. I feel sorry for her yet on the other hand they both graduated from the police academy. Who asked them to be assigned to the Violent crimes unit? It is partly an over confident police officer and another from the supervisors. A probationary officer technically does not bear full responsibility. You can't always choose which unit you're assigned to.

On the other hand have no clue if they do critical incidence debriefing in China. That's what we do when something this violent happens ie death of a child, assault on child, bad( all are bad and violent but some more so ) sexual assaults, hostage situations,multiple deaths or gruesome deaths. Plus a anonymous hotline. Tons of police officers can go and are on stress leave here. Lol its hard to keep private life details private here on soompi. It's not as if I am spazing about kissing or a bed scene am I? There are different levels of violence which people are trained for and some which overwhelms even professionals mass disasters are one of course.

Either way it is normal for a newbie- if they get proper help- to take time to accept those feelings and still work. For me I am more cautious and take no or calculated risks. I still get results it's not as if I don't it just takes longer. Not to go into details but I modified my behaviour post ( physical assault sounds too strong) ok, physical contact but it technically is assault by legal terms. But some people never learn ie one of my colleagues whom I call aa s**t magnet. She has suffered fractures before. There's never and should be empathy/sympathy for a criminal and expect them to behave better. Safety first... then you can empathise after you're safe.  Sigh... YM should have had backup and be more cautious. A junior officer wouldn't even be able to negotiate and read body language that well. What can I say? Mistakes causes lives in police work. You can't replace lives that's why you don't or calculate risks before acting. I have secretly  said  " you idiot  or that's excessive  plus a lot more cursing" in my head ( to the soldiers and police  ) before when I see weapons being pointed the wrong direction and violent punches. Boy violence is different up close.

@ck1Oz -- I don't think YM's been officially diagnosed with PTSD but viewers have made that leap because she's getting flashes, having panic attacks at the sound of gunshots, seeing blood and generally losing it when she used to be pretty gung-ho. I'm no expert but from what I've heard, it does look like PTSD. At least it's implied. She also tried to hand in her resignation which was promptly rejected by JB. 

I work with people who have been diagnosed with PTSD but with the advances in medicine, you wouldn't know it just looking at them on a daily basis.

Spoiler

I'm not a fan of the blame game either. That's usually the purview of higher-ups and bureaucrats to try and shift blame but in this instance, it seems that everyone is too eager to claim responsibility. Frankly, I think it's just one of those things that happens and there's no one thing that's the cause... for me it was an entire perfect storm of circumstances. Everyone's been mugged by reality and in hindsight there should have been greater care and supervision but no one was expecting Lu Ge to be a woman especially when trafficking is not usually engaged by women and such a vicious one at that. Maybe XX should have been more careful than to conclude so readily that Lu Ge was a man but JB didn't exactly object to her profile either. Ultimately the buck stops with him.
As to why newbies were put on the front line so soon. I imagine some of it had to with necessity and neither of the girls were in any danger during the op. Everything seemed to be strictly by the book and all precautions were taken. It was only when everyone got to the hospital, dropped their guard, that everything went nuts.

@UnniSarah -- Another thing that YM and XX probably need to learn is that policing is teamwork and knowing personal limits. Lone wolves and stars just don't have a place in such a high stakes occupation. YM allowed the praise to get to her head for doing well on various occasions but she's in the big leagues now and traffickers by their nature and the activity they're engaged in, are absolutely ruthless. I like YM too... she's a great character but it's realistic how they've allowed her personality to play out to its logical conclusion.

I am also glad and relieved that they haven't let them both off lightly because they are women. Because in life and death situations, It's irrelevant where your reproductive organs are housed.

@dmtdt Awww mannn... I'm not ready to part with our snail & lion yet...!!! esp if they haven't confirmed each other's feelings & the team is now on shaky grounds..... >.< I guess i would just have to rewatch everything after it ends and watch another show that has the both of them as a "pair". On the other hand... at least we'll know everything even sooner...!! ^^ I'm always happy for getting more doses of XX & JB! i'll take it anytime... ^^

I just hope episode 16 would be the episode that starts showing the progress/result of the incidence (including work, relationship (love & friendship), etc. progress). I don't think I can bear to see them being sad longer... when XX cries.... :bawling: Plus!!!! We only have 6 episode left until its all over!!!!! Even though i like the pacing of the drama in the romance aspect (seriously... haven't seen a drama which brings the crime aspect to justice in a longggggg time, in a drama which has "romance" all over its synopsis), it would be great to see further progress... since, it is the "core" story somewhat (even the synopsis has "romance" from beginning to end. maybe since it's ending soon....? i'm feeling a bit anxious that it won't happen.... >.< *fingers-crossed for a happy ending by episode 21* :confounded:

Can someone show pity on people like me who can't read chinese, translate the last few chapters of the novel from chapter 54. The translator hasn't translated anything since February and there's only 24 chpaters and 7 extras to be translated. 

https://tiffybook.com/2016/02/18/1865/

4 minutes ago, gracebkk said:

@dmtdt Awww mannn... I'm not ready to part with our snail & lion yet...!!! esp if they haven't confirmed each other's feelings & the team is now on shaky grounds..... >.< I guess i would just have to rewatch everything after it ends and watch another show that has the both of them as a "pair". On the other hand... at least we'll know everything even sooner...!! ^^ I'm always happy for getting more doses of XX & JB! i'll take it anytime... ^^

I just hope episode 16 would be the episode that starts showing the progress/result of the incidence (including work, relationship (love & friendship), etc. progress). I don't think I can bear to see them being sad longer... when XX cries.... :bawling: Plus!!!! We only have 6 episode left until its all over!!!!! Even though i like the pacing of the drama in the romance aspect (seriously... haven't seen a drama which brings the crime aspect to justice in a longggggg time, in a drama which has "romance" all over its synopsis), it would be great to see further progress... since, it is the "core" story somewhat (even the synopsis has "romance" from beginning to end. maybe since it's ending soon....? i'm feeling a bit anxious that it won't happen.... >.< *fingers-crossed for a happy ending by episode 21* :confounded:

I agree. I wish they included Xu Xu's brother and the guy who liked her in the book. Xu Xu's brother was one of my favourite characters.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@ck1Oz -- I don't think YM's been officially diagnosed with PTSD but viewers have made that leap because she's getting flashes, having panic attacks at the sound of gunshots, seeing blood and generally losing it when she used to be pretty gung-ho. I'm no expert but from what I've heard, it does look like PTSD. At least it's implied. She also tried to hand in her resignation which was promptly rejected by JB. 

I work with people who have been diagnosed with PTSD but with the advances in medicine, you wouldn't know it just looking at them on a daily basis.

Hide contents

I'm not a fan of the blame game either. That's usually the purview of higher-ups and bureaucrats to try and shift blame but in this instance, it seems that everyone is too eager to claim responsibility. Frankly, I think it's just one of those things that happens and there's no one thing that's the cause... for me it was an entire perfect storm of circumstances. Everyone's been mugged by reality and in hindsight there should have been greater care and supervision but no one was expecting Lu Ge to be a woman especially when trafficking is not usually engaged by women and such a vicious one at that. Maybe XX should have been more careful than to conclude so readily that Lu Ge was a man but JB didn't exactly object to her profile either. Ultimately the buck stops with him.
As to why newbies were put on the front line so soon. I imagine some of it had to with necessity and neither of the girls were in any danger during the op. Everything seemed to be strictly by the book and all precautions were taken. It was only when everyone got to the hospital, dropped their guard, that everything went nuts.

@UnniSarah -- Another thing that YM and XX probably need to learn is that policing is teamwork and knowing personal limits. Lone wolves and stars just don't have a place. YM allowed the praise to get to her head for doing well a various occasions but she's in the big leagues now and traffickers by their nature and the activity they're engaged in, are absolutely ruthless. I like YM too... she's a great character but it's realistic how they've allowed her personality to play out to its logical conclusion.

@40somethingahjumma.... From watching the episodes 13-15 with subs , I feel that YH might not come back from leave. Her trauma looks so raw and she lost so much confidence. I am also worried for Zhao Han and hope that he to doesn't suffer from PTSD. Ji Bai needs Zhao Han to come back to work and be a part of his team. He is his family, I especially love the story behind ZH and JB's friendship. 

Spoiler

He became a father figure for ZH when his dad passed away. ZH's dad was his teacher and it was one of the reason he worked so hard to be a respected Police Officer. I loved that he confided in Xu Xu and she comforted him the only way she knew how and only way he would accept it. Ji Bai said he wasn't a good teacher but I disagree. He is a good teacher but only for Xu Xu. Xu Xu has bonded with him, they are similar and they have this silent understanding between them. They are so similar mentally, same tast in food and their personality is kind of similar. 

Pretty Much i very much enjoyed every epsiode that has aired so far and already dreading the end that is about to come. :tears::tears::tears:

Chingu 's Annyeonghaseyo 

Yao Meng is so tramautized by what happen. I am still not over seeing her so down. So used to seeing a chipper Yao Meng, who made everyone laugh and so energetic. I have a question it is in th spoiler box. 

Spoiler

When Ji Bai saw Ye Qiao , she asked him how did he fell about Ye Zixi. His response was Zixi knew him better than she knew her own brother. Chingu's. How does Ji Bail feel towards Ye Zixi?? Since watching this scene , I want to make sure I understood what JB said. Zixi knew JB did not love her but care for her as a sister.  I wonder why did Ye Qiao ask that question? Did she really have to So that question? JB came by to give her good news and instead of going forward she decided to think about the past. When she asked that question if sadden me because Zixi died so young without having experienced a mutual loving relationship and  no happiness.  

Is it just me who thinks there will b a season 2.....we have only 6 epi left & now we r in human trafficking arc , there is still the guy who killed ye xi zi- the 1st case  to b caught

Spoiler

Spoiler

And the last case of the angel killer has not even started yet

so many stuff to cover in 6 epi so I hope there is a season 2 soon ....fingers crossed :blush:

34 minutes ago, kavi said:

Is it just me who thinks there will b a season 2.....we have only 6 epi left & now we r in human trafficking arc , there is still the guy who killed ye xi zi- the 1st case  to b caught

Hide contents

Spoiler

so many stuff to cover in 6 epi so I hope there is a season 2 soon ....fingers crossed :blush:

Isn't this a 30 episode show? Not that I would say no to a season 2 (I say yes!) but I think we're only halfway through. I need more! More Ji Bai/Xu Xu, more Yao Meng, Zhao Han and I need someone to take down Lu Ge hard. Yao Meng. I think that would work for me. 

According to page 1, this is a 21 episode drama so they will most definitely have to wrap up the trafficking arc ASAP if they're even thinking about bringing in a serial killer as well. I haven't got any problems with this show going to 24 or 25 episodes but 30 would be dragging things out too much.

4 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Chingu 's Annyeonghaseyo 

Yao Meng is so tramautized by what happen. I am still not over seeing her so down. So used to seeing a chipper Yao Meng, who made everyone laugh and so energetic. I have a question it is in th spoiler box. 

Hide contents

When Ji Bai saw Ye Qiao , she asked him how did he fell about Ye Zixi. His response was Zixi knew him better than she knew her own brother. Chingu's. How does Ji Bail feel towards Ye Zixi?? Since watching this scene , I want to make sure I understood what JB said. Zixi knew JB did not love her but care for her as a sister.  I wonder why did Ye Qiao ask that question? Did she really have to So that question? JB came by to give her good news and instead of going forward she decided to think about the past. When she asked that question if sadden me because Zixi died so young without having experienced a mutual loving relationship and  no happiness.  

I think YQ has always seen herself in competition with YZX... something she mentioned during her first interrogation. Her attitude was "I saw him first" and was generally resentful that YZX and JB became really close. Perhaps she finds some consolation in the fact that there was something that both of them wanted that both failed to "get" since YZX usually managed to upstage her at almost everything. She could also be curious as to why JB seemed immune to YZX's charms. I imagine that JB was someone YZX wanted very much but despite years of friendship it didn't translate into anything beyond that. And as JB acknowledged, that opportunity did pass them by.

I'm inclined to think that whatever opportunity may have arisen in years past, JB was too busy being a cop to really want to complicate his life with that kind of romantic relationship. Seeing what his personality is like and how driven he is about his job, it had to be another cop that could make in roads into his emotional life... someone who works alongside him and understands the rigours and demands of the job. YZX was emotionally a bit of a wreck and too needy to be a cop's wife. That union would have been a disaster no matter how good the original intentions.

1 hour ago, kavi said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

i agree with you .So much in only 6 eps . Are the ratings are good enough to compel( entice) them to do a second season ? 

because with good ratings comes money from advertisers and this is a really good thing for them.

Well after watching the episodes subbed here are my thoughts:

Episode: 13 Well accepting the milk her lecturing and accepting the jacket OMO.. its really unfolding they are moving, snail wise but their affection is definitely moving forward.. She might be a snail however she's the one with the key to unlock his lion heart
I'm also as XuXu eager to know why Ji Bai decided to become a cop.. It really puzzles me!
The story seems like an octopus... tentacles every where  and with a wide range of reach
That crying chick at the end gave me the shivers, I wonder if she's not one of the bad guys
:scream:

Episode 14 I SENSED IT ...BLOODY HELL and bloody is the key.. Pain and regret all over the place and this is unfolding so fast.. I really cant believe we're only seven episodes away of the ending
On an happier note XuXu is slowly becoming is safe arbor and i'm loving each little sign, glance, touch.. they make me grin like a fool and get all fluttered! Its a slow burn but it burns .. Oh yes it does.. They're moving snail wise but this nail definitely has the key to unlock his lion heart
:scream:

Episode 15

Heartbreaking episode! The pain and struggle of each of the characters seemed real and close to home sometimes, i could sense everything in a fierce and pierced way! But what stroke me the most was seeing them becoming a team, he defended her before his superiors, he's trusting her abilities and strong will to succeed even though he's worried with what they have to face .. And Ji Bai that's the real monster so that you know, not our lovely snail.

I'm loving the slow pace of their relationship, we can really sense it moving forward and getting stronger in all chapters: Work, friendship and love. They are on the path to become a team in all of these chapters.. if they're not there already
They really do share the same hobby as she said LOL
They do share a bound that no one will be able to break, she senses his vulnerability and he accepts her as his safe arbor, he's been doing this all along and it became more than apparent when he gave her his lighter patent ..and XuXu is becoming fierce...  And he's so proud .. Come on the way:  he continues looking at her!!! GOD
Such simple and subtle things show us all that and i'm loving it.. It's slow burn but it burns, oh yes it does
:heart::blush:

6 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Chingu 's Annyeonghaseyo 

Reveal hidden contents

That scene really puzzled me too, i wondered why it was needed.. still i think i understand why, she needed closure and he gave her that.. He loved ZiXi as a sister, nothing more and ZiXi understood him more than Ye qiao understood her brother and nevertheless she tired to protect him. And with this we all can see what kind of man Ji Bai is, protective of is family, a man driven by work and his principles, not infatuated by beauty alone, he needs more, much more. ZiXi seemed to me as egocentric and Ji Bai needs someone who can give him a sense of companion, understanding and comprehension... and that's why he feels drawn to XUXU .. His interest runs deeper, it's more raw and mental but i can sense it as passionate also.. as i say its a slow burn, but it burns oh yes it does and it helps that sh'es a beauty too at least in my eyes lol

8 hours ago, gracebkk said:

@Heidi Tieu you can read the continuation from here: https://tranzgeek.wordpress.com/tranz/when-a-snail-falls-in-love/

However, it has been said that the updates will also be slow here. So i guess we just need to be patient since translating can be hard work yea? :)

OMG Thanks i was also looking for it

Archived