Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

11 hours ago, 13infamyss said:

I wonder how it was for everyone else? When have you decided on your OTP? And when did you feel like Taek could be the end game?

for me at first i have mix feeling to even watch the drama at first bcos kinda get trauma from CB shipper during 1994&all the hates against Nareki even i pick the right ship...but because i love the writer work, the Sung parent is still there with surprised addition of KSK im set to watch..from the younger actor GKP is the only one i know&i also love him since Flower Boys Next Door so i was hoping he is one of the lead/future husband this time so im prepared to board his ship :P when i heard the news it seem mostly about GKP-Hyeri-Bogum seem to be the 3 lead so i thought the triangle gonna be them but since i have zero knowledge who is Bogum so i still think im still gonna be in GKP team...

then i start ep1...well in that ep kinda hard to decide to ship but i definitely already interested with the boy called Taek seem he is very interesting&so cute and just realized that is PBG...but i thought he supposed to be one of the lead why the unknown guy JH have more screentime than him...and then JH seem to have that tsundere&typical kdrama guy so im thinking oh seem it not TK-DS-SW but JH-DS-SW with JH in the lead but i still prefer SW anyway because i dislike the way JH treat/talk with DS and SW seem nicer..but at start the character im interested at is Taek&DR :P but i thought ahhh TK might be another Hoya/Baro the odd one maybe

then ep2 come with DS petting Taek butt&propose marriage while the boy drink milk&have that subtle smile obviously enjoying it....im like ehhh why are those two so natural with skinship and i think they cute from that small interaction..i just feel something is off and my shipping radar just leaning to TK&DS but still i might be overthink maybe later i gonna like the other pair more so i still in SW team..well i enjoy DR-DS as well because i feel their friendship just natural&fun interaction :P then he have that one on one important talk with DS appa which none of the other boy have shown to interact much with DS parent....because the past reply fan should know how important it is to be close to the girl's parent and only TK shown it..but since it still early so i think im sure the other boy gonna have that soon which never happen lol

but then the end of ep2 the childhood flasback is about TK arrival into the gang life&the focus obviously on him&how he enter into everyone life and there that moment DS handing him the fish carp&even piggyback him im like ehhhhhhh what is this it just another deja vu of 97 and 94 flashback with the focus on the girl&her future hubby since childhood...even DR/SW&JH also in the flashback but they only the friend there where the focus is more about how DS meet TK and showing the start of everything....im like if JH/SW is the husband shouldn't it focus from like the day they born&how close they are with DS but no it all about Taek so this boy must be special (well he is indeed the chosen one :P ) ..

it just from my logic from watching past reply the talk with father in-law+natural skinship&interaction with the main girl+the flashback focus on Taek&those little moment with little DS it must mean he could be the husband...and im dying to board Taek ship lol but hard to be sure when the boy hardly have much screentime but even then his name is mention so many time in every freakin ep like he have to be included in everything and even his room is the main HQ for the gang im like his presence is too strong :P 

Spoiler

i think if not because the influence from reading MT(since i should have learn my lesson to avoid soompi after 94) i would have board Taektanic pretty much from ep2..well i admit my heart already board the Taek ship but my mind is overthink because of reading the MT and how everyone is so confidence JH is the husband&he indeed have that typical male lead trait so yeah i end up think he would be the husband and later he would get his own father-inlaw talk/his own childhood vtr which never happen lol...i mean how does so called main lead but he have not much special connection with DS like as much they are friend but i don't feel that special bond that set them aside from just friend&i see him not even in DS radar if not of her friend told her..

Spoiler

im glad i leave the MT ASAP the moment i found out this thread exist because i just feel the MT is so unhealthy with how over confidence pro-JH everyone there, very little discussion about other characters even it is MT, their hostility act like they own the MT even until now&they purposely ignoring any mention of TK calling people who root for TK is delusional...im like ok fine as much as i like JH as character but i would never board his ship because im not feeling it and his shipper make it even harder to even like the ship since i prefer to ship in harmonious place where people is more open minded and willing to discuss different kind of possibility&not gonna throw 3yo tantrum if ever the ship sink so yeah i found that heaven in this thread...i like how even people rooting for TK but people here still willing to discuss other possibilities and not clinging solely that that particular guy must be the husband not because DS want it but because they&their pride want it :P  so at least this submarine is rooting for both DS&TK happiness and still want other character to be happy as well so i like the much healthier discussion+CSI level analysis..i do try to be fair with JH and i do think he is cute but still the way he treat DS pretty much NG to me kicking her while she wash dishes, all the name calling&one sided bickering, call her pretty of ugliest, not taking the opportunity to confess to SW about his feeling when he have the chance, laughing at her heartbreak&eat ramen instead of go to comfort her, hesitate tooo much, unable to cross the line with thing as simple as sharing the jacket(even Trash&YJ despite the constant bickering know when to take care of their girl health/heart&always ready to cross the line making the girl their main priority but JH never do that because his feeling is more the priority over DS) and his love for DS is more like the image of DS in his head rather than the real DS who he always criticize&make fun of with her not so smart brain, bad memory,eating manner,dorky dance,etc which he always have not approving face rather than accept her for who she is.well i know at the end he do learn why he don't get her&become even better man but still i don't really see him be patient with DS for long term if he ever end with her :P 

so i would say Taeksun already my hidden OTP since ep2 because i like that small natural interaction they have like they have their own world outside the gang and im proven right because they indeed have their own special space just two of them later on, the father inlaw talk&the childhood vcr......but since majority mentality is JH is husband anyway so i just stay low with TK because i have no idea what writer future plan with him so i stay rooting for SW at first even im thinking it could be JH because for me DS should be with guy that treat her nice...well SW is nice to her but more because of Bora+maybe he treat her like another Jinjoo...so when ep6 happen when SW reject her im not even sad lol as much as im surprised why SW out of the game too early.i think it because i have feeling Taek might drop his own bomb because the moment he bite his lip and impatient to hug DS i know that boy is dangerous :glasses: and then he have that convo with DR about want to watch movie im like yeahhhh im sure he going to invite DS and so glad im right...tbh SW definitely also the lead(well everyone considered a lead like PD say) since SW storyline is heavily focused and and strongly connected to DS,TK,Sung Family&Choi family so his arc is very important :P

so the moment he call DS in the snowing day ep6 im already 100% ready to board the Taektanic and will go wherever he take me.....

it obvious he always make her smile&they always have their own special space with or without the gang&she always make him the priority from beginning and we all know she is also his priority..

well i say im interested in the dynamic of Taeksun from ep2 and fully 100% onboard from ep6 no matter what the future outcome which im glad i still ended in the right ship for the third time in my Reply history,...well praying i have that same luck for next reply but still i would choose based on my guts and my heart want..well most important the man make the girl happy so it my ship or not i would still accept the result

Edited by salz
  • Like 19

Each of the characters really have a story to tell. I chose to focus on DS lovestory. So everything else just become a wonderful sidepiece. But the 2nd viewing made me realize that Sunwoo's storyline was another bigger focus/impact on the overall story. I think its because his life intersects and connects with Taek, Deoksun & Bora.

So the first official release of the cast might be correct. GKP-Hyeri-PBG. It just that GKP is not the husband or part of the triangle but he is a very important character and it was felt by the audience (considering that his appearance time was bashed by the translated comments).

But it was JH storyline that got the viewers reaction and sympathy. It made RJY the breakout star of this series. 

• Like 11

aa thank you for the video sharing sara :)

anyway ? Aren't we going to re-watch the 4th episode tonight ? ;) 

I'm sorry i wasnt that active before so i dont know the deal, do we only do the rewatch every saturday? or saturday sunday ?

but well anyway, happy Chinese New Year ! Gong Xi Gong Xi 

• Like 3

When have I decided that it's Taeksun??

Well... to be honest, I joined the hype quite late, I think sometimes during Ep 14? I actually wanted to wait until the series was completed before marathoning it at one go. That would save me from weekly suffering and... fanwar. This fanwar.. I absolutely convinced was bound to happen reflecting from Reply 1994 (which I haven't watched until now). However, though I joined late I have diligently followed the recap and all because of my love for Park Bogum, whose performance in "I Remember You" made me notice this young man and converted me into his fan. See? For the get go I was already Bogum biased.

I was kinda surprised when it was revealed in the later episodes that Taek was one of the husband contenders. And somehow I was slightly not so sure that he would get the girl. I just continuously prayed that he would come out of the series alive, coz his constant consume of pills really made me scared.

But then I started lurking in the AM 1988 main thread and soon I figured out that the fanwar was really intense. However, I was amazed at #TeamTaeksun coz the way they proofed their hypothesis was just amazing. And I also one of those fans of @packmule3 analysis. So, in a way, what made me believe that it's Taeksun as the endgame was YOU GUYS. YOU have shown me the wonders of drama analysis. YOU have shown me the beauty of staying humble, even when it was 100+1% certain that Taeksun was a package. YOU have shown me how to see things differently, to discover new findings that might actually have gone ignored.

Never will I forget the sureal, happiest, joyous feelings I felt when I streamed Episode 19 from my office. I screamed, I squealed, I banged table with my fist, I leapt to my feet and danced wild dance, and I had this ocean-wide grin forever plastered in my face (my Dean came in and asked what in the world I was doing but I just dun care..ehheheh).  50% of the happiness came from the fact that Taeksun kissed and that meant Taek was the husband, and 50% of the happiness was because we finally proved the other ship wrong. I'm really sorry that I'm not sorry, but had they never been so convinced that the husband was JH, to the point of ignoring other facts and belittleing us, I might have had milder champion-like feelings. I might have offered them shoulders of symphaty. Too bad my shoulders were busy dancing.

• Like 16

Hmmm....when did I find TK-DS endgame? 

Before the show started, I swore to myself that I wouldn't ship anyone for the sake of my health. I was Chilbonged So bad that I decided to watch the show with a neutral perspective.

At the beginning of R'88, people had begun to choose sides, majority were for SW (when we all thought he would be in the game) and few went for JH despite having it at the back of their minds that he wouldn't be the one( all these was when we thought SW was in the race). But I decided to go for the less obvious, partly to be on the safe side, another because I found TK to be quite mysterious, (he can't just be an idiot for nothing) and the other for my love for PBG.

So ep 2, I went for TK(mind you, I wasn't really solid in my guess but I stood on it). As time went on (before the MT became a battleground), I predicted That TK could end up being the smoker(before the episode for this scene aired) and boy was I laughed at. Was also told to stop being "delulu" ..when I ended up having The last laugh, I knew...I just knew TK would be endgame.

Now The writers would throw hints and hints towards JH and twas like my heart was swaying a bit like a boat on the ocean, When I lurked in this Beautiful room, I just gave up being neutral and went full blown on supporting Taeksun. Sometimes i would feel discouraged when i see some of us almost giving up but when i began to encourage some of us not to give up, it strengthened me too. Yes, there were ups and downs but we overcame it and came out victorious. Hehehe. 

Shipping wasn't the only reason I watched the show though. I learned more than I could ever have. Family above all.

What a ride and joy it has really been. :)

EDIT: I mentioned pages back that I didn't watch the end of R'94(episode 21), now i have decided to..just for the sake of it. LOL. A chilbonger till the end.

• Like 23

I ship ds and tk after phone call on first snow, and how lee mon sae radio told us about first snow falling, and he told us about someone might be in love with you, even if you dont aware about it. Because how i saw taek character as mix chilbong/yoon jae oppa. And Man lead character (im 100% ship tk ds) but, JH romantic scenes sometimes distracted me ! Lol.

by the way, if you guys talk about JH was typical male lead ! Im not really agree, because even the male lead act like JH, but they not always ignore the girl feeling, because if he realize the girl feeling, they started to dating. Or kissing. JH character seems like typical gangster in love with his enemy daughter. Hahahaha always fighting, giving up, and ended the girl marry another man. #mystatement

• Like 15

When did I started to jump into this ship? 

Well, just like few of roommates here, I was chilbonged in R1994,  so I was scared to start watching R1988 or at least wait until it finished airing.  But, I lost to the temptation and watch it anyway.  

This time around, I promised myself that never, ever ship any guy.. just follow where the main girl's heart going to so that my heart won't break later. 

However, I was a goner in ep 2, when DS pat TK's butt and asked him to grow up and marry her. Also,  man to man conversation between TK and Sung's appa increased my confident level and flashbacks scene where DS gave TK fish candy, seal the deal. I boarded the taectanic ship and there's no turning back.  

I lurked in main thread, but not many people talk about TK-DS. Any post related to TK were ignored by people and I was sad until finally Taek's room was open and we gathered here, having a lot of fun.  I'm not 100% confident that TK-DS will the end game but I enjoy the ride anyway. It's a roller-coaster ride because one day, we're happy with a clue pointed towards TK but another day we were sad that there might be a twist in the end. Always #teamlowexpectation. 

• Like 16

14 hours ago, 13infamyss said:

I wonder how it was for everyone else? When have you decided on your OTP? And when did you feel like Taek could be the end game?

I'm a sucker for two types of guys: The "tsundere" kind of guy and the ~cute puppy~ kind of guy so Junghwan and Taek were like my two ideal guys come to life lol

That's why after episode 3 I was a total goner for Junghwan and rooting for him because he was the typical tsundere deveolping a huge crush so I thought that was super endearing to see but then episode 6 and 7 happened and I was like ".....Taek (。♥‿♥。)"

I also always took Deoksun's feelings in consideration so I was rooting for her crushes on Sunwoo as well as Junghwan but after neither of those crushes worked out by episode 14  I was starting to focus a lot more on the interaction between Deoksun and Taek (these two had soooo many scenes together after episode 6, it was impossible to just write them off as nothing or just a red herring) and after episode 16 I was thinking Taek would make the most sense

Since I mainly focused on Deoksun and her POV my development was actually quiet similar to Deoksun's development and I was extremely careful to not be 100% certain about anything because I was #TeamChilbong for 1994 and...well...we know how that ended :lol:

• Like 18

13 hours ago, 13infamyss said:

I honestly thought Taek was gonna be a Junhee/Binggarae, up till episode 6 when he asked Deoksun out and officially became a husband contender! That was such a lovely scene and I couldn't stop replaying it because it was such a pleasant surprise with the brilliant BGM (Lee Jungseok's 첫눈이 온다구요) T_T

(And then I was promptly disappointed when episode 7 had no sign/mention of the movie date. I waited a whole week for that!!)

After that I just kind of saw Taek with new eyes. Noticing how he's a quiet but resolute scene stealer. That he actually appreciates & loves Deoksun a lot. Junghwan touched my heart a little when he showed up at McDonalds but in episode 7, Taek and his adorable 'What presents do you want? I'll buy them all for you' to Deoksun really sealed the deal for me. At that point I wasn't too immersed in the husband hunt and kind of expected Junghwan to be endgame, since the previous Reply husbands had all been tsunderes like him and he was generally pinpointed as the male lead. I decided to just root for Taek (even though it could be fruitless) since I looked forward to his scenes. Watching Taek was like peeling off layer after layer of an onion - in every scene that he appeared in I felt like there was something new revealed about him, and I really enjoyed that character progression.

I was never confident about Taek being endgame until he showed up in front of Deoksun at the concert hall. I had an inkling it might be him who got there first, but I didn't have the depth of thought to analyze the show's nuances deeply and be 100% sure so I just thought that I'd enjoy the show no matter who ended up as Deoksun's husband. So that was a really awesome moment as a Taek/PBG fan :)

• Like 19

16 hours ago, 13infamyss said:

Thank you for asking this question. I really enjoyed reading everyone's responses. :D

For myself, I was so drawn to Chilbong's character that when it became obvious he stood no chance at all, I gave up watching halfway. Till today, I still have zero motivation to finish watching AM94. So to prevent history from repeating itself, I consciously detached myself from the husband hunt. But the funny thing is, the more detached you are, the clearer things become. By ep 14, I was pretty certain Taek's gonna be the husband. 

As you can tell, I'm still a noob here because I just signed up not too long ago, specially for AM88. My friend was a JH-DS shipper, so I was curious what others thought. I started reading MT and this thread, and all the signs pointed towards Taek being the husband. By ep 16, there was no way JH could play catch-up. I was a happy lurker until one day my mind decided it would explode if I don't pen my thoughts down somewhere. Again the funny thing is, once you start analysing, you can't stop! This drama is like a well that never runs dry as long as you keep digging. If I continue any further, I'd be writing a hymn to sing of LWJ's greatness. 

So that's my story, and how I came to join soompi. And thanks everyone for making Taek's room such a cozy place. :wub:

• Like 16

From the first snowing day, I got my ship, right when Taek called Duk Sun.

Honestly, I never think Taek as a candidate until his call was made. However, because the hubby is so active, I told myself " husband can be Jung Hwan, but let's Taek and Duk Sun have their dating first!"

However, day by day, I want Taek to be the husband so bad, because they are do cute together and I can't imagine how I could be if there is breaking up of sth like that.

Luckily, my ship reached the dream land. TaekSun is real and I can keep talking about this drama with happy attitude.

• Like 18

@13infamyss

For me I started to ship DS with SW because personally he's my type among the 4 boys. And since its still early & dont really have a clear idea what their real characters are, I too feel the same way as DS's girl friends who thinks SW pay more attention & concern abt her than the other boys. 

However while still shipping g SW, I have a suspicious feeling abt TK ever since DS willingly pat TK's bottom telling him to marry her & he didn't even flinch. Of cos after that there DS & JH's wall scene. The thing is with JH, I just don't feel his chemistry with DS.  So for me, episode 2, the seeds of suspicion on TK started to grow, but by episode 6, I was abt 80℅ sure TK is the end game mainly because the narration right before TK's phone call.

If JH made a move that time instead of helping himself with ramyun I might be as indecisive too. But as we see right after the radio host narration it was Taek who made a call out of nowhere asking her to a movie date, specifically telling her just the 2 of them together, is also one way of confession. And on the first snow too just as DS's wish/hope.  

Also in ep 6, as soon as old BR notice its snowing, she quickly tell to old DS, who immediately call out to her huband to look at the snow. So the first snow must be a good memory for both DS & hubby. As conclusion, in 1988 the first snow in Ssamundung was joint sharing memories by 4 people..SW who met DS when he came looking for BR to confess &  indirectly breaking DS's heart  but just then TK called broken heart DS to invite her to watch movie with him. JH wasn't involved with DS, nor did she share any memories with him during the first snow of 1988, thus making him as just an audience from the sideline.

• Like 22

When did I board the good ship Taekie?

Well I tuned in to watch Taek, not PGB but Taek.

I had been following the recaps on Dramabeans now and then.  Often that's how I decide what to watch; I read recaps until I feel intrigured enough to tune in.  I don't remember what episode made me want to watch, but I know is was Taek who did.

So I came in loyal to Taek and I wanted Taek to have what Taek wanted.  

So it wasn't the story structure or clues that made me think Taek was the husband, it was that I wanted Taek to be the husband because I wanted him to be happy. 

So that was where my heart was, didn't really need anyone to co-pilot that ship because I was going to steer it where I wanted. But I was very happy to find others interested in going to the destination where I wanted to go.

• Like 18

20 hours ago, 13infamyss said:

The last k drama I watched is Reply 1994 which was two years ago. I  did not intend to watch Reply 1988. Like most chingus here I have been chilbonged . The irony is I started watching Reply 88 because of Jung Hwan. I was curious after reading  review on the net on his tsundere character and waited until episode 6 aired before watching. After watching episode 1, I was hooked.

Learning my lesson, this time I just set the husband on Jung Hwan after Sun Woo exit the husband hunt. But throughout the episode,  I have started to notice that friend Taeki who is seemingly so quiet. I did not know who is Park Bo Gum. I loved his character is slowly reveal and he is not what I perceived to be in the beginning. Yup the scene stealer.Besides the touching story on family, by episode 6 , Taek became my favorite character along with Deoksun. Something is just right seeing them together . I can’t keep my interest on Jung Hwan but I still have the “Jung Hwan is the husband anyway” mentality. After episode 9 and 10 I don’t care anymore and I am willing to accept any heartbreak if they are not the endgame. Reading all the theories here helps to lessen the anxiety.Thank you everyone.

The kiss in Episode 17 is the best Suntaek moment for me and my expectation shoot up to 99% and episode 18 Jung Hwan’s exit seals the deal.

• Like 18

21 hours ago, 13infamyss said:

Honestly I watch this show because of PBG, but Taek has less screen time on some first episodes make me not interest in husband hunt. But one day my friend ask me, 'you on whose team?'. Still not sure but I was confidently say that 'I'm TeamTaek' while she was in opposite ship. At that time the show was aired till eps.14 but I just watch it till eps.7. I was in hurry watched eps.8 - 16, so at the end eps.16 I was still clueless about my OTP. Then I decided to lurked in MT during new year break, it help a bit.

Because of this Reply 1988, I couldn't watch another drama...so I though maybe rewatch the previous series will be more help. And yes that's a why I found that Baduk board when the gang talk about 88 things on Reply 1997. My SunTaek OTP officially decided!!! 

Not satisfied with MT, I move lurked in this thread and found so many interesting analysis that made me rewatch the show while waiting for the last 4 eps. At that rewatch time my shipper heart locked Taek as the end game on eps.2, just like the other friends said before that was because of DS patt TK's butt and if I was not miss heard DS referring herself as noona in her sentence. The Hubby showed and their convo over DS's diary at the end of eps.2 was my biggest reason why He must be TK. The future DS & TK convo was : 

DS : You read my diary right?

TK : No.

DS : Yeah, you did.

TK : I didn't.

DS : Ya! (translated as Hey on the sub). Be honest with me.

TK : How can you use 'Ya' to your husband?

DS :  If you can say it, why can't I? You did read it, didn't you?

TK :  I didn't.

Why TK asking that? And why DS answering like that? It was because DS is older than TK so she has the right to use that 'Ya' word to TK but TK is her husband that's why he a bit angry(?) to her.

And my other reason why it has to  be Taek was the 'Beach Date' official pictures that used in 3 different things.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAD-bfHIahT/

Edited by sin921113
Unseen pict
  • Like 13