[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/6/2016 at 1:49 AM, kaqueski said:

I think she's gonna take charge in the last 2 episodes. Honestly the young CSH irks me sometimes :))) I don't like how she keeps making people worry and doing clumsy stuffs and being clouded by emotions. I'm so happy she matures into the badass CSH nowadays. 

@kaqueski, I know, right? On the other hand, it is a nice message to all newbies that everyone had their "new-green" time, and still could mature into this awesome professional.

21 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I liked how KBJ got nervous, when he was under investigation. I also enjoyed him being treated like trash or better said like a cow who has to be sent to the slaughterhouse in the end!

oh... I loved that scene, @bebebisous33

Maybe, if we are lucky, PSW will be saved, and Congressman Jung's goones will get KBJ  (maybe even before he orders ACS to murder LJH). .This way - both PSW and LJH can be saved, while KBJ is gone. If at the end Congressman Jung is implicated in KBJ's murder, that's another treat.

12809589_10207478542536175_3668153964160

20 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have the impression, KBJ did something wrong when he got the floppy disk. Why didn't he make a copy of it? and in case that Jang decides to throw him away, he could use the disk as blackmail.

Because apparently for all his hot air, he is not as smart as you are, @bebebisous33...

20 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Don't you find it weird that Jang's son and his nephew are both involved in a rape? The first one witnessed it and did nothing and the second was the perpetrator.

yep. And sadly, it seems that the only way to get the real perpetrators now, is if PSW does die, and they can be implicated in his death.

12806260_10207478540776131_6758376272199

20 hours ago, Ginaaaa said:

I got the urge to re-read the book The Bridge of San Luis Rey!

Thank you @Ginaaaa. Added it to my reading List.

19 hours ago, mgicc said:

The one whom I wish would survive the most has the lowest chance of surviving through it all -Detective Lee Jae Han, a person so decent, so dogged and unwavering in his pursuit for justice, that you cant help but root for his survival.

@mgicc, me too.. I want all 3 detectives to survive, but especially him.  Also, if he dies, how is PHY going to be able to forgive himself, that LJH died, because he sent him to save his brother?

That's is why I want them all to survive including PSW, and let the new victims be KBJ and Congressman Jung, and even the main perpetrator of the rape. That should bring some measure of comfort for the poor victim, who also now let them know, it is unlikely that PSW would have committed suicide.

12705639_10207478541176141_4153262328747

I hope the case will be finale not an open ending, the blue jewel also related to the evil congressman, hope they can finished the evil congressman off. Perhaps if the three leads died, there will not be a second season so no open ending LOL

March 7, 2016

‘Signal’ hits new ratings high

TvN drama series “Signal” received its highest viewership rating on its 11th episode Saturday.

According to ratings research company TNS Media Korea (TNMS), it took 10.6 percent of the viewership, the first time it surpassed 10 percent since its release on Jan. 22.

From left: Lee Je-hoon, Kim Hye-soo and Cho Jin-woong (tvN)

The episode portrayed a sexual abuse case and two detectives named Lee Jae-han (Cho Jin-woong) and Park Hae-young (Lee Je-hoon) struggling to find investigate the case.

The 16-episode TV drama has increased its viewership, starting with 5.4 percent and 6.4 percent, as determined by ABG Nielson and TNMS, respectively.

It has been well received by viewers for its famous cast members, such as actress Kim Hye-soo and actors Cho Jin-woong and Lee Je-hoon.

By Kim Soo-hyang (shkim@heraldcorp.com)

March 7, 2016

Privacy dispute arises over drama

By Kim Bo-eun The Korea Times

Privacy disputes have erupted after the personal details of 44 people allegedly involved in a gang rape in Miryang, South Gyeongsang Province in 2004 were made public.

The disclosure came after an episode of "Signal," a popular drama series inspired by the incident aired on Feb. 26.

Around 40 high school boys gang raped several middle and high school girls over a period of 11 months in Miryang. The incident drew controversy over what many saw as the unfair treatment of the victims by police. 

The details of those alleged to have been involved, such as their alma maters, jobs and social media accounts were posted online. It has not been confirmed whether the details are accurate, but, some of the disclosed social media accounts have reportedly been shut down after the post was uploaded.

Amid denouncements of the perpetrators, several people whose personal details were disclosed are claiming that they have been wrongfully accused.

A man, 30, posted on an online community, Saturday, that he was booked as a suspect of the rape in December 2004 and was questioned by police and the prosecution because he was a friend of someone charged in the incident.

He claimed that his name and picture had been disclosed even though police dropped charges; and posted a picture of documents from the prosecution as evidence. 

He added that he and others who were not charged, has lived his life "branded as a rapist," and said that he would sue the Internet users who spread his personal details online.

The post said that another person was fired by a conglomerate after his details were discovered online, despite having nothing to do with the incident

A policewoman is also facing criticism for having posted remarks when she was a high school student, which appeared to have supported the perpetrators. 

Complaints have been flooding into the police station in Uiryeong, South Gyeongsang Province, and on its website, demanding that she be fired.

bkim@ktimes.com

A second season would be unlikely for a number of reasons. I just don't see how a second season would be possible if one of the main characters dies. The precarious dynamic that's been built over time into something resembling camaraderie is irreplaceable. It is what's given the show it's flavour. Furthermore that walkie talkie is so specifically tied to LJH -- the sheer force of his personality and his dogged pursuit of these unsolved cases -- with particular emphasis given to the smiley sticker. The walkie talkie is his... his good luck charm. So once the job is done, the need for the temporal bridge will be rendered unnecessary. It's like Gollum, Frodo and the ring as they approach Mt Doom. The walkie talkie is a double edged sword. It can be used to bring about justice but it's effects are unpredictable. Its power can be devastating. And perhaps it does portend doom for our heroes.

Signal is a show that can't and shouldn't outstay its welcome. It is excellent precisely because it's tightly focused and consistent. Once it goes off the beaten track, it will become something else and that is seldom a good thing where K dramas are concerned.

I think it's always best for any show to end on a high and to leave the audience wanting more.

Annyeong everyone. It's been ages since the last time I watched a KDrama and posted stuff here. I'm not sure anyone still remembers me, but if anyone does, I'll be happy (I'm already happy to be back!)

Having said that, I'll proceed with my thoughts on the ending. 

I think most of us here are ready to face Jae-han's death, some of us fear that Hae-young himself will die (hello @Ginaaaa and @drmjs   we share the same premonition!), and I had read @mgicc 's astute theory on a possible etaliation to a loved one.

However, for me personally it's Soo-hyun's death that I'm really worried of. There are two reasons for this.

First, in the preview she seems determined to change the course of things ("I will save you(?) and Lee Jae-han Sunbae" --the "you" can't possibly refer to anyone but Hae-young).

Second, she's the only one among the trio who had cheated death twice (and really died in one of the timelines). So it's possible that she will not survive this time (most likely in the current timeline).

Wow... sounds like a witchhunt is on... which unfortunately means those who are guilty and those deemed guilty by association alike are at the receiving end of the backlash :( Truly hope the names of those who were unrelated to the crime will be cleared, instead of having to live under the shadow of baseless accusations.

@irilight @drmjs Thank you as always for your kind words. Yes, who would have thought that it was not evidence Chief Ahn had stashed away in his daughter's room, but a report he had gone to retrieve from the archives. I still hold hope for Chief Ahn though... the preview shows him being beaten up by KBJ... did he balk at the task he was given to take down LJH? This time round, will he listen to his conscience before it was too late?

"The first... that first time. That's how it starts. Once I start getting used to the money, I'll end up like you" - Lee Jae Han

The truth of these words struck such a deep chord within me... thinking how apt, how applicable it is, in every aspect of one's life... it all starts with that first time, doesn't it? The moment we cave in, and ignore our conscience... do we even realise what the price would be, the consequences that we may not think would happen to us, even be prepared for.

2 hours ago, selenette said:

Annyeong everyone. It's been ages since the last time I watched a KDrama and posted stuff here. I'm not sure anyone still remembers me, but if anyone does, I'll be happy (I'm already happy to be back!)

Having said that, I'll proceed with my thoughts on the ending. 

I think most of us here are ready to face Jae-han's death, some of us fear that Hae-young himself will die (hello @Ginaaaa and @drmjs   we share the same premonition!), and I had read @mgicc 's astute theory on a possible etaliation to a loved one.

However, for me personally it's Soo-hyun's death that I'm really worried of. There are two reasons for this.

First, in the preview she seems determined to change the course of things ("I will save you(?) and Lee Jae-han Sunbae" --the "you" can't possibly refer to anyone but Hae-young).

Second, she's the only one among the trio who had cheated death twice (and really died in one of the timelines). So it's possible that she will not survive this time (most likely in the current timeline).

And when PHY asked LJH to investigate the murders of the district HD, she could have died too. If LJH hadn't appeared on time, she would have been killed. So you might be right.

l really love this thread whereby everyone bounced off their ideas of who among the three main leads survived. 

Examples :-

• all three man leads died
  • CSH will die, again
  • etc

The suggestions varied and yet we are able to have this discussion in a peaceful and fun manner.:):wub:

For those 40+boys/ rapists in Miryang case, I hope they will be forever be haunted by their past. They may have 'escape' with lighter sentences but they should not be forgiven and forgotten for what they'd done.

I'd seen 'Hang Gong ju' and read about this case on line. Thanks to both PDs for re high lighting this sad case again and to remind the people not to forget.

5 minutes ago, Mico Ricco said:

tvN via FB is teasing viewer's knowledge on the timeline sequence for LJH

Lemme take a stab :D 

In chronological order based on LJH's timeline:

c, a, e, f, d, b

In chronological order based on PHY's timeline:

b. c, a, e, f, d

4 minutes ago, Mico Ricco said:

Mine will be :  c, e, a, d, f, b

Will share the results once tvN released it say, in a few days time.

I think you're right. (a) came before (e)... not long after she arrived at the precinct.  Shucks, how could I have gotten that mixed up! :D 

I've just read @rubie's great post regarding disclosure of alleged perpetrators of the Miryang gang rape case. Reading it led me to imagine the difficulties surrounding crime investigations in which the culprits (and suspects) as well as the victims are minors.

While the crime itself is horrific and the victims deserve justice, the fact that some of the suspects are possibly innocent (we still have to consider that possibility,too, after all) and were minors must be taken into account. There could be suspects who were implicated by their peers for a crime they did not commit. Perhaps there were the usual school scapegoats among the suspects, too. In their case, disclosing their personal information is a breach of privacy. I'm glad that the scriptwriter chooses to portray one of these kids in Park Sun-woo.

Concerning the real rapists in the case, we can't overlook the fact that the statute of limitation for rape cases has not changed in Korea. Therefore, to track down these people is vigilante justice and is illegal. Although it sickens me to acknowledge this, we have to allow these past rapists the benefit of doubt: that perhaps they are good citizens now, and regret what they did.

Of course the victims are the most important. Reading that they were mistreated by the law enforcement, family, and friends reminds me of the society's tendency to blame the victims in female sexual abuse cases.

For example: In 1998 there were rampant rape cases in my country during a series of riots against a minority ethnic. Few people blame the rapists, even today. The victims are constantly portrayed in urban legends as females with skimpy clothes who "invited" men to rape them. When in truth it was retaliation/hate crime fueled by the monetary crisis.

11 hours ago, chelleshawol said:

@enigmatic_zephy Really? It's really okay for you if they all die at the end? Why so? :blink:

Yup..for one..i don't feel sorry for any of the three main characters..yes it would be nice if goofy ljh (from the past) is left alive..but even if not..I wont mind it..because his arc doesn't have much regrets.. and he is a hero..no matter what arc you give him..

Our present time two leads..i honestly don't care.. she gets on my nerves at times..and i don't really see the bigger picture for her..i think she is in a very comfortable space rt now.. leading a team..and will keep doing it..

Our profiler - at times is really oTT in the crying -howling scenes..so again..i love the overall characters, plotline..but at some level i really don't care abt him.. i care more for the younger version of him...and also again in this drama space..objective of his presence is fulfilled.. without the SW case.. he really doesn't have a role..or story that I am interested in (unlike SW..where I would be keen on seeing how did he do in his life)..

SW..has gotten the most rotten deal..from life overall..and his character/or the actor playing it is quite good...makes me invested in the character..

So, net net I really really really want to see SW live life to fullest, LJH if returns alive..that would be great..if not..then also its ok.., CSH - i really don't care..., PHY - whatever he wants..but if series wants to go for dramatic ending..i'd be happy with them dropping CSH or PHY

Archived